How does a Christian know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingoling.

I was raised as a Catholic, but was steered away from the Catholic church by a nCCs. I was told not to listen to what the Catholic church says but what scripture says. Scripture alone, I was told, is a Christian's final/sole authority.

It took me over 25 years as born again nCCs before I realized that I still wasn't listening to what scripture was saying; I was again listening to what a church was telling me.

Stepping back and looking at Christianity as a whole what I see are 100's of voices/churches out there all telling me what I should believe as a Christian.

So my question is how does a Christian know what is the truth? How can a Christian know which church is teaching the truth?

Last edited:
I was raised as a Catholic, but was steered away from the Catholic church by a nCCs. I was told not to listen to what the Catholic church says but what scripture says. Scripture alone, I was told, is a Christian's final/sole authority.

It took me over 25 years as born again nCCs before I realized that I still wasn't listening to what scripture was saying; I was again listening to what a church was telling me.

Stepping back and looking at Christianity as a whole what I see are 100's of voices/churches out there all telling me what I should believe as a Christian.

So my question is how does a Christian know what is the truth? How can a Christian know which church is teaching the truth?
There's your problem, you are looking for a church.
John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

There is only one body, and those who are in the body of Christ are set free from the bondage of sin. Knowing the truth is a CONSEQUENCE of being set free. In other words, it is the truth itself that sets one free, not the knowledge of the truth.

As long as one places knowledge above the truth, they're lost. Any and all churches which place knowledge as the fundamental way to find the truth are hopelessly deceived.

There is only one body, and those who are in the body of Christ are set free from the bondage of sin. Knowing the truth is a CONSEQUENCE of being set free. In other words, it is the truth itself that sets one free, not the knowledge of the truth.

As long as one places knowledge above the truth, they're lost. Any and all churches which place knowledge as the fundamental way to find the truth are hopelessly deceived.
Thanks for your response, but how do we know that this teaching is the truth?

Thanks for your response, but how do we know that this teaching is the truth?
LOL. smh. The truth is always and everywhere self-evident. Your questions are too overly simplistic to be taken seriously. One knows with the intellect. That is the faculty one uses to know anything. That is exactly how you know.

The point here is in noting that the intellect is not fundamental. The truth is fundamental. One does not validate the truth with knowledge. One validates knowledge with the truth.

This spotlights the error, but since you cannot see anything more fundamental than knowledge, you are doomed to perpetuate Adam's mistake until God reveals the truth to you.

It is the difference between an epistemology of truth versus the ontological reality of the truth. You prefer the former while those who are in Christ have no need to look any further.

Your confession of ignorance convicts you, and spotlights that the truth cannot BE in you.

No, I am looking for the truth. Yes, God's word is the truth. But interpretations of God's word is not necessarily the truth.
Yes! This is why knowledge can never lead one to the truth. Adam is walking with God. He has an immediate connection to the truth, and yet he seeks knowledge which can only separate him from the truth which is life itself.

Those who seek knowledge of the truth don't know that they're already dead, and the dead can never find the truth.

Read John 3:16...it's the truth, short and simple.

Read John 3:16...it's the truth, short and simple.
Yes, it is the truth. As a Catholic I believe in Jesus. We believe Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of the living God. So we will not perish, but will have eternal life. It's the truth, short and simple - so there should be no more to discuss, right?

Yes, it is the truth. As a Catholic I believe in Jesus. We believe Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of the living God. So we will not perish, but will have eternal life. It's the truth, short and simple - so there should be no more to discuss, right?
Plenty more.

It says belief in Christ should not perish....belief only. It doesn't say works, baptism, confession, communion and whatever else people tack on to it.

Is there more to getting saved?

John 3:16 doesn't say how and it doesn't state that it is a requirement for eternal life.
Does this clarify any:
Rom 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Rom 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back