Dorothy Sayers on the Disconnect between Natural Selection and Atheism

Sure it does. As we know you can't evolve "kinds".
How does it follow that if you can't evolve "kinds" then the ancient Jews theory of mythological creation becomes the default theory?

The American Indian mythology of creation, and many others, would be just as credible as the Biblical narrative at that point.

I was reading Dorothy Sayers' book, "The Lost Tools of Learning" this evening and came across this:

Well, we may all talk nonsense in a moment of inattention. It is more alarming when we find a well-known biologist writing in a weekly paper to the effect that: “It is an argument against the existence of a Creator that the same kind of variations which are produced by natural selection can be produced at will by stock-breeders.” One might feel tempted to say that it is rather an argument for the existence of a Creator. Actually, of course, it is neither: all it proves is that the same material causes (re-combination of the chromosomes by cross-breeding and so forth) are sufficient to account for all observed variations—just as the various combinations of the same 13 semitones are materially sufficient to account for Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata and the noise the cat makes by walking on the keys. But the cat’s performance neither proves nor disproves the existence of Beethoven; and all that is proved by the biologist’s argument is that he was unable to distinguish between a material and a final cause.
It is lost on them when they claim that they understand evolution, that someone couldn't understand it before them. In fact judging by the intellectual depth of the posters, it's guaranteed people understood this long before the arrogant twenty first century dingbat. The greater nonsense is them acting like they actually know evolution.

How does it follow that if you can't evolve "kinds" then the ancient Jews theory of mythological creation becomes the default theory?

The American Indian mythology of creation, and many others, would be just as credible as the Biblical narrative at that point.
Your evo-ism is todays myth.

I don't profess evolution is true. Even if I did, and was wrong, it still does not follow that the ancient Jew's theory of mythological creation becomes the default theory
I don't really care about the "ancient Jew's theory"....

Science tells us Genesis is correct.

It is lost on them when they claim that they understand evolution, that someone couldn't understand it before them. In fact judging by the intellectual depth of the posters, it's guaranteed people understood this long before the arrogant twenty first century dingbat. The greater nonsense is them acting like they actually know evolution.
Tell us all about evolution then, Less.

I don't really care about the "ancient Jew's theory"....

Science tells us Genesis is correct.
Now that's funny. Go ahead and connect the scientific theories that exist that support what we find in Genesis. This will be good. Don't leave out how snakes talk, and the scientific theory of fruit that impart knowledge, and how darkness is split from light without a source of light, and how supernatural giants mated with human women, and the ecological realities of a global flood.

Last edited:
Now that's funny. Go ahead and connect the scientific theories that exist that support what we find in Genesis. This will be good. Don't leave out how snakes talk, and the scientific theory of fruit that impart knowledge, and how darkness is split from light without a source of light, and how supernatural giants mated with human women, and the ecological realities of a global flood.
Judging from yur post...you know not what you talk about.

I see you still can't explain it Sharon.

It's ok, your apologetic has lost it's shine.
Ah, so when it comes to evolution you have no clue as to what it's all about. That somehow doesn't stop you from being your usual sneery self about it. What you also have no clue about is the depth of your ignorance.

Ah, so when it comes to evolution you have no clue as to what it's all about.
No.

When it comes to evolution, I point out your inability to rationally explain it.

That somehow doesn't stop you from being your usual sneery self about it. What you also have no clue about is the depth of your ignorance.
Hey now, you are the one elevating themselves to super smart, so why can't you explain it without your usual insults?

It appears to me when you get just a little pushback to your pat answers you start lashing out.

Simma down and discuss.

No.

When it comes to evolution, I point out your inability to rationally explain it.

Hey now, you are the one elevating themselves to super smart, so why can't you explain it without your usual insults?

It appears to me when you get just a little pushback to your pat answers you start lashing out.
You said ... "It is lost on them when they claim that they understand evolution, that someone couldn't understand it before them. In fact judging by the intellectual depth of the posters, it's guaranteed people understood this long before the arrogant twenty first century dingbat. The greater nonsense is them acting like they actually know evolution".

So, I asked you to tell us all about evolution so people could judge whether you understand it, letting us know whether you know what your talking about.

I got the evasive rely above. It's obvious you don't know the first thing about it.
Simma down and discuss.
With you? If you did actually discuss then I would believe in miracles.

You said ... "It is lost on them when they claim that they understand evolution, that someone couldn't understand it before them. In fact judging by the intellectual depth of the posters, it's guaranteed people understood this long before the arrogant twenty first century dingbat. The greater nonsense is them acting like they actually know evolution".

So, I asked you to tell us all about evolution so people could judge whether you understand it, letting us know whether you know what your talking about.

I got the evasive rely above. It's obvious you don't know the first thing about it.

With you? If you did actually discuss then I would believe in miracles.
Do you have an issue that someone could understand evolution before you? Silly to think otherwise, but you are an atheist so..

Do you have an issue that someone could understand evolution before you? Silly to think otherwise, but you are an atheist so..
You said ... "It is lost on them when they claim that they understand evolution that someone couldn't understand it before them."

That makes no sense, perhaps you can explain?

Back