How does a Christian know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much of what is Rc dogma, is not taught in Scripture. Scripture is the measuring stick by which all doctrines and teachings are measured by. It does not matter what denomination. Scripture is still the supreme authority, by which all others are measured by.
Right. No source for your "historical" claims.

No, the contradiction is stated in your comment "one has to separate the two". This to support this Mary heresy. I gave you clear Scripture, from Jesus' lips, that:

John 10:30 "I and the Father are one.”
Okay, I am open for a reassessment of my position, I was mistaken and you are correct here. I will then revise my comment, Mary is the Mother of God. Period!

Last edited:
So you admit you cannot provide Scripture to support the RCC claim Mary is the mother of God. Thank you.
I don't have to. Such a thing was decided by the Bishops, the then leaders of the Church in a legitimate council of the Christian Church here on earth. They had the power and authority to declare such a thing and it is a binding decision. All faithful Christians should be believing it, just as if it were written down in the Holy Scriptures.

Last edited:
Much of what is Rc dogma, is not taught in Scripture. Scripture is the measuring stick by which all doctrines and teachings are measured by. It does not matter what denomination. Scripture is still the supreme authority, by which all others are measured by.
Scripture is authoritative, authority resides with the leaders of the Church.

The Rcc, is no longer what it was when it began, for before the roman empire took hold of the church, it already had error's introduced into its teachings, no longer bearing the appearance of what the apostles laid down. That foundation has changed drastically after the apostles passed away.
I find these statements very harder to believe. The forces of darkness cannot overpower what Jesus did.

I do not deny Jesus' words.
Good. Then you agree that the Apostles had the power to forgive sins.

I deny the RCC's teaching that man can forgive man's sin against God. Just as I deny Peter is the first pope and the RCC is the only representative of God on earth.
You deny then the 'Apostolic Succession' that we believe in. That is your right as a free-thinking person and I have no problem with that at all.

You know that one criteria for determining if books were to be included in the canon of Scripture was if they upheld Church teaching. So the Church, the pillar and foundation of the truth, was the standard used in setting the canon.

2 Cor 2:10
To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ; KJV

2 Corinthians 2: 10 Anyone you forgive, I also forgive. And what I have forgiven—if there was anything to forgive—I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake,

Matthew 6: 14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

You understand that is personal forgiveness, right? Not forgiveness of sins against God...maybe not...

2 Corinthians 2: 10 Anyone you forgive, I also forgive. And what I have forgiven—if there was anything to forgive—I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake,

Matthew 6: 14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

You understand that is personal forgiveness, right? Not forgiveness of sins against God...maybe not...
No, it says "anything."

"In the person of Christ" = In Persona Christi

You are putting words in my thoughts for me. You know that I don't believe man can forgive sins against God. But even were that true this ended when the last of the Apostles died (the Apostle John).

You deny then the 'Apostolic Succession' that we believe in. That is your right as a free-thinking person and I have no problem with that at all.

And you deny that there is no apostolic succession. That is your right as a free-thinking person and I have no problem with that...wait...the RCC church tells you what to think. Never mind.

It says "...in the sight of Christ.". If we do not forgive, then in the sight of Christ we also sin and cannot be forgiven.
To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ; KJV

Same meaning.

That is because Jesus paid for our sins. He is who forgives our sins. Not man. We can forgive each other, as we should, but we are not the propitiation for sin.

Same meaning.

That is because Jesus paid for our sins. He is who forgives our sins. Not man. We can forgive each other, as we should, but we are not the propitiation for sin.
Yes. And this is what priests do, they forgive in the person of Christ, "In Persona Christi".
Jesus gave this authority to his apostles (John 20:22-23)

No "power" is needed to forgive sins. The Gospel teaches that our sins have been taken away once and for all when Christ carried them onto the cross (1 Pet. 2:24).

For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy. The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says: "This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds." Then he adds: "Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more." And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary. (Heb. 10:14–18)

The New Covenant is a covenant of eternal forgiveness.

No "power" is needed to forgive sins. The Gospel teaches that our sins have been taken away once and for all when Christ carried them onto the cross (1 Pet. 2:24).

For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy. The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says: "This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds." Then he adds: "Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more." And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary. (Heb. 10:14–18)

The New Covenant is a covenant of eternal forgiveness.
Jesus gave the Holy Spirit to the apostles to forgive sins. What greater power is there than that?

Yes. And this is what priests do, they forgive in the person of Christ, "In Persona Christi".
Jesus gave this authority to his apostles (John 20:22-23)

He gave them the authority to tell repentant sinners their sins are forgiven and the unrepentant their sins are not forgiven. The apostles did not forgive sins. And even if it were true it ended with the death of the last living apostle John. But your RCC out is the "apostolic succession" claim. So there is no reasoning with catholics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back