Just as the Constitution doesn't say everyone has the right to abortion...

As a Brit I would never want the gun owning situation as in the US, but the reality, like abortion, is education. You will find it difficult to prevent people doing pure evil like this. And if some of you guys think a woman can choose to kill her own offspring, you are not in such a position to be lecturing on this.

In theory, the US could pass a federal law outlawing private ownership / possession of all firearms except the musket, and this would still be consistent with the Second Amendment.
Nope, because even back when the law was written, semi-automatic rifles existed, and actual cannons were included
yeah, guns had a “quite different meaning back then,” too

lol
No, not really. Various semi-automatic weapons existed, and the puckle gun which was an early machine gun, existed. In addition, cannons were covered under the amendment as well, according to the Founding Fathers.

I'm sorry you don't grasp what a prefatory clause is, nor the fact that 'well-regulated' did not mean what you libtards try to make it out to mean.

Do you believe the Civil War was a war to end slavery? Next time try a well researched historical account.

I'll do you one better and simply suggest you visit the nearest university library.
To end slavery? not necessarily, given Lincoln would have likely conceded and kept it if it meant ending conflict and keeping the union together. It did mostly end up being the end result (though slavery of African slaves by Native Americans continued for some time, even after the 13th Amendment passed, and even after Juneteenth, they still continue do keep black slaves, until finally forced to stop it under a new treaty.

To end slavery? not necessarily, given Lincoln would have likely conceded and kept it if it meant ending conflict and keeping the union together. It did mostly end up being the end result (though slavery of African slaves by Native Americans continued for some time, even after the 13th Amendment passed, and even after Juneteenth, they still continue do keep black slaves, until finally forced to stop it under a new treaty.
Yes that sounds right, I understand that whilst Lincoln wanted to end slavery he initially left the border states out of the emancipation.

... it also doesn't say everyone has the right to own a gun.

Discuss.
Until 1933 it also didn't say that people had a right to drink alcohol. Rights exist by default until they are curtailed, not the other way around.

People had a right to drink because the US Constitution didn't say they didn't.
Same with abortion.

yeah, guns had a “quite different meaning back then,” too

lol
Yep - had the founders seen the ridiculous munitions that modern Americans insist is their right, they might have thought twice about lumbering their Bill of Rights with that appalling anachronism.

Rights exist by default until they are curtailed
While I agree with the gist of what you wrote, the above fragment is incorrect. Not having a prohibition against <X> doesn't mean you have a right to <X>. It just means <X> isn't against the law (et al).

If you have a right to <X>, there must be some mechanism to protect your access-to <X>, or punish violations of that access. I have a right to be safe from attack when I walk down the sidewalk in the center of town. I don't have a right to wear my favorite t-shirt when doing it, though.

---

Yep - had the founders seen the ridiculous munitions that modern Americans insist is their right, they might have thought twice about lumbering their Bill of Rights with that appalling anachronism.
Have it your way. Go to this site: https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/join-the-signers

Follow the instructions and add your name to the document. You can save it and even print it.

It works for the Constitution as well.

Most real teachers use this site at least once a year.

While I agree with the gist of what you wrote, the above fragment is incorrect. Not having a prohibition against <X> doesn't mean you have a right to <X>. It just means <X> isn't against the law (et al).

If you have a right to <X>, there must be some mechanism to protect your access-to <X>, or punish violations of that access. I have a right to be safe from attack when I walk down the sidewalk in the center of town. I don't have a right to wear my favorite t-shirt when doing it, though.

---
Indeed, but I don't see the practical difference between having the right to abort, and not being punished for aborting.

Indeed, but I don't see the practical difference between having the right to abort, and not being punished for aborting.
One is protected behavior, the other is not. While the consequences look identical, it's important to distinguish between the two.

Edit per mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, because even back when the law was written, semi-automatic rifles existed, and actual cannons were included

No, not really. Various semi-automatic weapons existed, and the puckle gun which was an early machine gun, existed. In addition, cannons were covered under the amendment as well, according to the Founding Fathers.

I'm sorry you don't grasp what a prefatory clause is, nor the fact that 'well-regulated' did not mean what you libtards try to make it out to mean.
Yeah, I’m totally wrong.

Guns were exactly the same 250 years ago as they are today.

lol

Yeah, I’m totally wrong.

Guns were exactly the same 250 years ago as they are today.

lol
Why 'lol',???? You have the examples of older guns, they are still recognisable as guns, not trans or giraffes or anything

Discuss.
Everyone has the right to life… that includes little babies and that includes self defense.

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ET AL. v. HELLER

Last edited:

Discuss.
Justice Mikey hath spoken.

If only you'd been around when actual intelligent people crafted laws from the constitution!!!!!

Tell ya what, ask your Joey the best way to write laws on crime.

He seems to think crime is a function of skin color.

Back