Who came up with the idea that Mormons have to earn eternal life?

“The gospel teaches us that relief from torment and guilt can be earned through repentance.”
Boyd K. Packer, The Brilliant Morning of Forgiveness, General Conference, October 1995
Boyd K. Packer, The Savior’s Selfless and Sacred Sacrifice, Ensign, April 2015

"Each of us has been sent to earth by our Heavenly Father to merit eternal life."
Robert D. Hales, "Personal Revelation: The Teachings and Examples of the Prophets", October 2007 General Conference

Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” (John 14:6.) He said, “… no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” This is the Lord’s way, and coming unto the Father is a divine and sacred gift that must be merited.
Bernard P. Brockbank, “Entrance into the Kingdom of God,” Ensign, Jan 1973, 44

Immortality connotes life without end. Eternal life, on the other hand, connotes quality of life — exaltation, the highest type of immortality, the kind of life enjoyed by God himself. It is in the attainment of eternal life, which man must earn in mortality, that he reaches his full potentiality.
- Marion G. Romney, of the First Presidency, at General Conference, October 1978, Ensign, November, 1978, p. 14

Individual salvation is "...that which man merits through his own acts
through life and by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel."
- Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1 p. 134

“There will be a wise and just God to sit in judgment on all men. … The wicked may prosper for a time, the rebellious may seem to profit by their
transgressions, but the time is coming when, at the bar of justice, all men will be judged, ‘every man according to their works’ (Rev. 20:13). No one will ‘get by’ with anything. On that day no one will escape the penalty of his deeds, no one will fail to receive the blessings he has earned. Again, the parable of the sheep and the goats gives us assurance that there will be total justice.”
Spencer W. Kimball, The Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 304–5

"Let us make our homes sanctuaries of righteousness, places of prayer, and abodes of love that we might merit the blessings that can come only from our Heavenly Father... How might we merit this promise [spoken of in Ezekiel 36]? What will qualify us to receive this blessing?"
Thomas S. Monson, "To Learn, to Do, to Be", General Conference, October 2008

It is the celestial glory which we seek. It is in the presence of God we desire to dwell. It is a forever family in which we want membership. Such blessings are earned through a lifetime of striving, seeking, repenting, and finally succeeding.
Thomas S. Monson, The Race of Life, General Conference, April 2012
(cf. “To Learn, To Do, To Be,” Ensign, May 1992, 47)

“Ordinances instituted in the heavens before the foundation of the world, in the priesthood, for the salvation of men, are not to be altered or changed. All must be saved on the same principles. If a man gets a fullness of the Priesthood of God he has to get it in the same way that Jesus Christ obtained it, and that was by keeping all the commandments and obeying all the ordinances of the house of the Lord …” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 308)

LDS Scriptures:

D&C 25: 15.
15 Keep my commandments continually, and a crown of righteousness thou shalt receive. And except thou do this, where I am you cannot come.

D&C 76: 112 (51-112)
112 And they shall be servants of the Most High; but where God and Christ dwell they cannot come, worlds without end.
Try to obey God until the day you die, you must be born again and only then will you believe that you couldn't earn eternal life.

Stop following false teachers. My shepherd gives TRUE PEACE!
2 Timothy 4:3
For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear.
Ephesians 4:11-16
And He gave some to be apostles, and some prophets, and some evangelists,and some pastors and teachers,
12 for the perfecting of the saints for the work of the ministry,and for the edifying of the body of Christ,
13 until we all come into the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God,unto a perfect man,unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ;
14 that we henceforth be no longer children,tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine by the sleight of men and their cunning and craftiness,whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 but speaking the truth in love,may grow up into Him in all things,who is the Head,even Christ,
16 from whom the whole body,fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth,according to the effectual working in the measure of every part,maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

John 10:27-30
27 My sheep hear My voice,and I know them,and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life,and they shall never perish;neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father,who has given them to Me,is greater than all;and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.”

Herr Uchtdorf is a false teacher. The grace of GOD makes new creatures.
John 6:29
Jesus answered and said unto them,This is the work of God,that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Acts 5:32
And we are His witnesses to these things,and so also is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey Him.

Try to obey God until the day you die, you must be born again and only then will you believe that you couldn't earn eternal life.
earn
to come to be duly worthy of or entitled or suited
to make worthy of or obtain
qualify
to fit by training,skill,or ability for a special purpose
to declare competent or adequate
to be or become fit
to exhibit a required degree of ability in a preliminary contest

merit
spiritual credit held to be earned by performance of righteous acts and to ensure future benefits

Mosiah 27:25-26
And the Lord said unto me:Marvel not that all mankind,yea,men and women,all nations,kindreds,tongues and people,must be born again;yea,born of God,changed from their carnal and fallen state,to a state of righteousness,being redeemed of God,becoming his sons and daughters;And thus they become new creatures;…

earn
qualify
to fit by training,skill,or ability for a special purpose
to be or become fit

merit
spiritual credit held to be earned by performance of righteous acts and to ensure future benefits

And the Lord said unto me:Marvel not that all mankind,yea,men and women,all nations,kindreds,tongues and people,must be born again;yea,born of God,changed from their carnal and fallen state,to a state of righteousness,being redeemed of God,becoming his sons and daughters;And thus they become new creatures;…

Salvation: All glory to God Who suffered, and bled and died! Eternal life is a gift.

Romans 9

21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory...

Salvation: All glory to God Who suffered, and bled and died! Eternal life is a gift.
2 Timothy 4:4-6
4 They will reject the truth and chase after myths.
5 But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don’t be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at telling others the Good News, and fully carry out the ministry God has given you.
6 As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near.

2 Timothy 4:4-6
4 They will reject the truth and chase after myths.
5 But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don’t be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at telling others the Good News, and fully carry out the ministry God has given you.
6 As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near.

Galatians 1:6-9
6 I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,
7 which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.
9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

Jude 1:3-4
3 Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.
4 For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Mormons preach a different gospel

Mormons pervert the gospel

Mormons deny the Jesus of the Bible - The Jesus of the Bible does not have satan for a brother!

RCM

earn

merit
From Doctrine and Covenants 130:
Items of instruction given by Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Ramus, Illinois, April 2, 1843.

20–21, All blessings come by obedience to law;

“Let us work for what we need. Let us be self-reliant and independent. Salvation can be obtained on no other principle. Salvation is an individual matter, and we must work out our own salvation, in temporal as well as in spiritual things.
Paul’s statement, ‘By grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast’ (Eph. 2:8-9), has been misunderstood. Some have interpreted it to mean that works are not necessary. This is an erroneous conclusion. The truth is that we are saved by grace only after all we ourselves can do. (See 2 Ne. 25:23.) There will be no government dole which can get us through the pearly gates. Nor will anybody go into the celestial kingdom who wants to go there on the works of someone else. Every man must go through on his own merits.

Marion G. Romney, “In Mine Own Way,” Ensign (Conference Edition), November 1976

The Lord Jesus Christ, the Beloved Son of God the Father, came to earth to do the will of His Father. He is the Anointed One—the Messiah. He became the Christ. He fulfilled the infinite Atonement through His suffering, by sacrificing in Gethsemane, allowing Himself to be crucified on the cross at Golgotha, and rising triumphantly from the Garden Tomb. . .

If you have never been acquainted with gratitude, you will never know happiness, because happiness can only be found in receiving and acting upon the Atonement of the Savior Jesus Christ. The Lord Jesus Christ gives all humankind the opportunity to return to our Father and find peace and rest. We must come unto Him.

If you have never been acquainted with gratitude, you will never know happiness, because happiness can only be found in receiving and acting upon the Atonement of the Savior Jesus Christ. The Lord Jesus Christ gives all humankind the opportunity to return to our Father and find peace and rest. We must come unto Him.

ldsliving.com

Mormonism denies that eternal life is a gift of God.

It also claims that man can merit blessings; all blessings must be earned.

Obedience to Mormon laws and ordinances are the supposed means of obtaining eternal life.

"We believe that through the Atonement of Christ , all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel."

LDS Article of Faith number three

Mormon Atonement: an opportunity to earn/merit eternal life.

This earth is full of people who don't desire the opportunity to do good. "The whole world lieth in wickedness." See 1 John 5:19.

Jesus said, in John 8:44
"Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it."

Matthew 16
15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven."

From Doctrine and Covenants 130:Items of instruction given by Joseph Smith the Prophet,at Ramus,Illinois, April 2, 1843.

20–21, All blessings come by obedience to law;

“Let us work for what we need. Let us be self-reliant and independent. Salvation can be obtained on no other principle. Salvation is an individual matter,and we must work out our own salvation,in temporal as well as in spiritual things. Paul’s statement,‘By grace are ye saved through faith;and that not of yourselves:it is the gift of God:Not of works,lest any man should boast’ (Eph. 2:8-9), has been misunderstood. Some have interpreted it to mean that works are not necessary. This is an erroneous conclusion. The truth is that we are saved by grace only after all we ourselves can do. (See 2 Ne. 25:23.) There will be no government dole which can get us through the pearly gates. Nor will anybody go into the celestial kingdom who wants to go there on the works of someone else. Every man must go through on his own merits.” Marion G. Romney, “In Mine Own Way,” Ensign (Conference Edition), and November 1976

The Lord Jesus Christ, the Beloved Son of God the Father, came to earth to do the will of His Father. He is the Anointed One—the Messiah. He became the Christ. He fulfilled the infinite Atonement through His suffering,by sacrificing in Gethsemane,allowing Himself to be crucified on the cross at Golgotha,and rising triumphantly from the Garden Tomb. . .

If you have never been acquainted with gratitude,you will never know happiness,because happiness can only be found in receiving and acting upon the Atonement of the Savior Jesus Christ. The Lord Jesus Christ gives all humankind the opportunity to return to our Father and find peace and rest. We must come unto Him.

ldsliving.com

Mormonism denies that eternal life is a gift of God. It also claims that man can merit blessings;all blessings must be earned.

Obedience to Mormon laws and ordinances are the supposed means of obtaining eternal life.

"We believe that through the Atonement of Christ all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel." LDS Article of Faith number three

Mormon Atonement:an opportunity to earn/merit eternal life.

This earth is full of people who don't desire the opportunity to do good. "The whole world lieth in wickedness." See 1 John 5:19.

Jesus said, in John 8:44
"Ye are of your father the devil,and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning,and abode not in the truth,because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie,he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar,and the father of it."

Matthew 16
15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven."

earn

qualify
to be fit by training,skill,or ability for a special purpose
to be or become fit

merit

Philippians 2:12
12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only,but now much more in my absence,work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
Luke 6:46
“But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say?
Ephesians 2:10
For we are His workmanship,created in Christ Jesus for good works,which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ;it is no longer I who live,but Christ lives in me;and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God,who loved me and gave Himself for me
John 15:1-8
I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He [a]takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.

5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you[b] will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. 8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

Revelation 20:12-13
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before [a]God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.
Mosiah 2:21
I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning,and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath,that ye may live and move and do according to your own will,and even supporting you from one moment to another—I say,if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants.
2 Nephi 2:8-9
Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah, who layeth down his life according to the flesh, and taketh it again by the power of the Spirit, that he may bring to pass the resurrection of the dead, being the first that should rise.
Wherefore, he is the firstfruits unto God, inasmuch as he shall make intercession for all the children of men; and they that believe in him shall be saved.

Last edited:
Yes that’s what I posted Janice Bower. Did I ever say or even imply that we can earn or merit our salvation apart from Jesus Christ?

13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
John 15:5
5 “I am the vine,you are the branches. He who abides in Me,and I in him,bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

Romans 9

21 Hath not the potter power over the clay,of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

22 What if God,willing to shew his wrath,and to make his power known,endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy,which he had afore prepared unto glory...

Romans 3:1-3,5
What advantage then has the Jew, or what is the profit of circumcision? 2 Much in every way! Chiefly because to them were committed the oracles of God. 3 For what if some did not believe? Will their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect? 5 But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unjust who inflicts wrath? (I speak as a man.)
Romans 9:3-5
For I could wish that I myself were accursed,separated from Christ for the sake of my country men,my kinsmen according to the flesh,4 who are Israelites, to whom belongs the adoption as sons and daughters,the glory,the covenants,the giving of the Law, the temple service,and the promises; 5 whose are the fathers,and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh,who is over all,God blessed forever. Amen.
Romans 9:21-23
Does not the potter have power over the clay,from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor? 22 What if God,wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known,endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy,which He had prepared beforehand for glory,

2 Timothy 2:20-21
20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver,but also of wood and clay,some for honor and some for dishonor. 21 Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter,he will be a vessel for honour,sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.
Jeremiah 18:1-10
The word which came to Jeremiah from the Lord, saying: 2 “Arise and go down to the potter’s house,and there I will cause you to hear My words.” 3 Then I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was,making something at the wheel. 4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter;so he made it again into another vessel,as it seemed good to the potter to make.
5 Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying: 6O house of Israel,can I not do with you as this potter?” says the Lord. “Look,as the clay is in the potter’s hand,so are you in My hand,O house of Israel! 7 The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom,to pluck up,to pull down,and to destroy it, 8 if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil,I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. 9 And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom,to build and to plant it, 10 if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice,then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.

Last edited:
Galatians 1:6-9
6 I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,
7 which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.
9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

Jude 1:3-4

3 Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.
4 For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Mormons preach a different gospel

Absolutely...We preach repentance, baptism and gift of the Holy Ghost as also found in the Bible....is there any other gospel which we all know evangelical do not teach... Evangelicals teach baptism is not essential ordinance... that is a different gospel...

Mormons pervert the gospel
Name one point we twist or pervert...

Mormons deny the Jesus of the Bible - The Jesus of the Bible does not have satan for a brother!
Evangelicals do not recognize the Son of God, the only begotten in the flesh....

Have a great day!

Yes that’s what I posted Janice Bower. Did I ever say or even imply that we can earn or merit our salvation apart from Jesus Christ?

13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
John 15:5
5 “I am the vine,you are the branches. He who abides in Me,and I in him,bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
Apart from Christ isn't the issue. He paid for our salvation so that eternal life could be a gft. Your leaders say eternal life must be earned. You are told to meet the requirements. The only ones who can do all things through Christ are the ones who have Christ. If someone preaches the lies of Joseph Smith that person doesn't have Christ.

Back