Who came up with the idea that Mormons have to earn eternal life?

Absolutely...We preach repentance, baptism and gift of the Holy Ghost as also found in the Bible....is there any other gospel which we all know evangelical do not teach... Evangelicals teach baptism is not essential ordinance... that is a different gospel...
We never told anyone to avoid baptism, but it won't give us eternal life. Jesus died for nothing if we found another way to have eternal life.

Last edited:
Apart from Christ isn't the issue. He paid for our salvation so that eternal life could be a gft. Your leaders say eternal life must be earned. You are told to meet the requirements. The only ones who can do all things through Christ are the ones who have Christ. If someone preaches the lies of Joseph Smith that person doesn't have Christ.

earn
to come to be duly worthy of or entitled or suited
to make worthy of or obtain
qualify
to be fit by training,skill,or ability for a special purpose
to declare competent or adequate
to be or become fit
to exhibit a required degree of ability in a preliminary contest

merit
spiritual credit held to be earned by performance of righteous acts and to ensure future benefits

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
John 15:5
“I am the vine,you are the branches. He who abides in Me,and I in him,bears much fruit;for without Me you can do nothing.
2 Timothy 4:7
I have fought the good fight,I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
2 Timothy 2:11-13
This is a faithful saying:
For if we died with Him,
We shall also live with Him.
12 If we endure,
We shall also reign with Him.
If we deny Him,
He also will deny us.
13 If we are faithless,
He remains faithful;
He cannot deny Himself.
1 John 5:16-17
If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.
Hebrews 10:26-31
For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth,there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment,do you suppose,will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot,counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing,and insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine,I will repay,” says the Lord. And again,“The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

We never told anyone to avoid baptism,but it won't give us eternal life. Jesus died for nothing if we found another way to have eternal life.
Acts 2:38
Then Peter said to them, “Repent,and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins;and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Acts 22:16
And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.’

Apart from Christ isn't the issue.
Ur right. It isn't the issue. Why do u keep making it the issue?
He paid for our salvation so that eternal life could be a gft
He paid for the debt of those who follow him. Those are the only ones who will obtain salvation. Everyone else will have to suffer the consequences of their life.
Your leaders say eternal life must be earned.
That does appear to be the case. If you don't follow Christ, then Christ isn't going to over your comings.

Those who follow Christ strive to reconcile their life to God. They keep his commandments and repent when they fail. This is a live long endeavor. It's not a one time event.

You might not think that's earning salvation, but the reality is that that's exactly what it is.

Ephesians 4:30
30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God with which you were marked with a seal for the day of redemption.
John 3:15-16
“For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.
36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever disobeys the Son will not see life, but must endure God’s wrath.

Mormons baptized my mother, a deist, my 8-year-old brother who probably didn't even know the story of Jesus' birth, my sister who never read the Book of Mormon, and didn't have an interest in reading it or the Bible....your multiple baptisms mean nothing.

Mormons baptized my mother a deist,my 8-year-old brother who probably didn't even know the story of Jesus' birth,my sister who never read the Book of Mormon and didn't have an interest in reading it or the Bible. Your multiple baptisms mean nothing.
Matthew 21:24-25
Jesus said to them,“I will also ask you one question;if you tell me the answer,then I will also tell you by what authority I do these things. 25 Did the baptism of John come from heaven,or was it of human origin?” And they argued with one another,“If we say,‘From heaven,’ he will say to us,‘Why then did you not believe him?’
John 3:1-8
There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus,a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him,“Rabbi,we know that You are a teacher come from God;for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.”
3 Jesus answered and said to him,“Most assuredly,I say to you,unless one is born again,he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
4 Nicodemus said to Him,“How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”
5 Jesus answered “Most assuredly,I say to you,unless one is born of water and the Spirit,he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh,and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not marvel that I said to you,‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows where it wishes,and you hear the sound of it,but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”
Acts 2:38
Then Peter said to them “Repent,and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins;and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Acts 22:16
And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized,and wash away your sins,calling on the name of the Lord.’
1 Peter 3:18-22
For Christ also suffered for sins once for all,the righteous for the unrighteous, in order to bring you to God. He was put to death in the flesh,but made alive in the spirit, 19 in which also he went and made a proclamation to the spirits in prison, 20 who in former times did not obey,when God waited patiently in the days of Noah,during the building of the ark,in which a few, that is, eight persons,were saved through water. 21 And baptism,which this prefigured,now saves you—not as a removal of dirt from the body,but as an appeal to God for a good conscience,through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God,with angels,authorities,and powers made subject to him.

Mormons baptized my mother, a deist, my 8-year-old brother who probably didn't even know the story of Jesus' birth, my sister who never read the Book of Mormon, and didn't have an interest in reading it or the Bible....your multiple baptisms mean nothing.
your multiple baptisms mean nothing.?????

Richard: what? What multiple baptisms... again your claim is not LDS. Doctrine...

God is omniscient and omnipotent.

Spencer W. Kimball: To this end God created man to live in mortality and endowed him with the potential to perpetuate the race, to subdue the earth, to perfect himself and to become as God, omniscient and omnipotent (The Miracle of Forgiveness, page 2).

The key here is what do people do when they believe in someone? If a person doesn't do that, then they don't believe - no matter how much they say otherwise. Jesus made even clearer when people who apparently did do something about that belief and he still told them to depart that He never knew them.

Once u have the answer to that question, then and only then, depending on what you do with it, can you be saved.
Do you really have to be told to match your actions to your beliefs? And why are you so worried about what anyone else does?

Spencer W. Kimball: To this end God created man to live in mortality and endowed him with the potential to perpetuate the race, to subdue the earth, to perfect himself and to become as God, omniscient and omnipotent (The Miracle of Forgiveness, page 2).
I believe all that is true. What's your point? What is the correction you would make to it?

That's the thing about our critics... They quote something from our leaders and gasp, how horrific, yet it is what the Bible teaches. Didn't Jesus say, "be ye perfect even as your father in heaven is perfect"? Would he tell us to do something we couldn't do? Did Jesus' apostles also say that "we shall be like him"? Were they lying?

We believe the words of Christ. We take these promises literally. I believe it is sad that some religions teach the Bible but reject it's promises. The idea that man cannot advance and become like God is a strange ideas. Eternity is a long time. I think it will last forever. I'm sure that there is nothing we cannot do through Christ given enough to time.

I find it ironic that our critics teach a religion of being under constant threat of extermination. If the resurrection doesn't give us power over our own bodies, if we always have to depend on God for life, like we do now, then why have a resurrection?

I'm sorry, but you guys just don't appear to know what your doing. Blind guides leading or being led by blind guides. You teach a religion of misery and convince those poor hapless souls who get caught up in it that it's good... You'll be happy.

Last edited:
I believe all that is true. What's your point? What is the correction you would make to it?

It's blasphemous.

That's the thing about our critics... They quote something from our leaders and gasp, how horrific,

It is.

yet it is what the Bible teaches.

It doesn't.

Didn't Jesus say, "be ye perfect even as your father in heaven is perfect"? Would he tell us to do something we couldn't do?

Totally missed what Christ meant. No one can be perfect apart from Him. A person needs His perfection in order to be saved.

Did Jesus' apostles also say that "we shall be like him"?
Like does not mean equal.

We never told anyone to avoid baptism, but it won't give us eternal life. Jesus died for nothing if we found another way to have eternal life.
Avoid baptism and Baptism as essential for eternal life are two different gospels .. Not only did Jesus die for us, he also seat the example of being baptized and receiving the HG...

Avoid baptism and Baptism as essential for eternal life are two different gospels .. Not only did Jesus die for us, he also seat the example of being baptized and receiving the HG...
Cornelius and the Gentiles with him received the Holy Spirit (Acts 10:47) before their water baptism (Acts 10:48).

Cornelius and the Gentiles with him received the Holy Spirit (Acts 10:47) before their water baptism (Acts 10:48).
Just as anyone else can as we so preach... its the HG that converts and witnesses to the truth of the Gospel of Christ, the Book of Mormon and living prophets on the earth today... but it doesn't not change the importance of Faith, Repentance, Baptism and Gift of the Holy Ghost. It does and never will proceed baptism and the laying on of hands for the gift of the HG...

It did in Acts 10:47-48.

See you and call you... chuckle.

Deuteronomy 34:9

Now Joshua the son of Nun was filled with the spirit of wisdom, for Moses had laid his hands on him; and the sons of Israel listened to him and did as the Lord had commanded Moses.

Acts 8:17-19
Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit. Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was bestowed through the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money, saying, “Give this authority to me as well, so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”

Acts 9:17

So Ananias departed and entered the house, and after laying his hands on him said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road by which you were coming, has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.”

Acts 19:6

And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying.

Back