What is Faith?

Yes, but not of their own free will.
But the point you were trying to make was that you'd be wasting your time, and you would not.
Irrelevant if all those things are imposed on someone who was not responsible for doing anything wrong. How can someone without a free will be affected by deterrence?
See directly above. Exactly for that same reason. Just because there might not be free will doesn't mean people are affected by outside events. A cue ball has no free will but is affected when the cue hits it.

All moral actions have to be freely chosen, there are meaningless if they are predetermined.
A moral action is merely some actions we decide to group together because they share some characteristics and we slap a label on them. This is going to wind up to be merely a semantic point. OK, don't call some actions moral, call them schmoral. We'd still have laws, mothers will still love their children, parents would still want to raise their children a certain way, etc.

And science requires the weighing of evidence and logical reasoning. If your conclusions are predetermined then such things cannot occur.
Why can such things not occur?

If a Christian prays for their headache to go away, and it goes away, did Yahweh grant the prayer?
Yes
If a Muslim prays for their headache to go away, and it goes away, did Allah grant the prayer?
No, Yahweh did. Allah does not exist.
If a Christian prays for their headache to go away, and takes a paracetamol, and the headache goes away, did Yahweh grant the prayer?
Yes, He determines if the drug will work.

This is a very loose connection. If the BB goes against all known laws of physics, that doesn't entail that all events that supposedly break the laws of physics actually happened.
Yes, but we know the BB happened.
Besides, going against all known laws of physics isn't necessarily going against the laws of physics, as the known laws of physics may not be able to describe the universe at the point of expansion.
If they can't describe it at the point of expansion that is evidence that it may be supernatural.

How do you explore events in the past?
What does this have to do with what we were talking about? I'm not against answering this question, but could you either make plain its relevance, or, better still, make the point that lies behind the question? Because I don't get where we're going with this.
You said we need to explore the events to determine if they are supernatural. But two of my examples of supernatural events occurred in the deep past. The BB and the resurrection of Christ. How do you explore events in the deep past?
El Cid said:
There are black swans. They do exist.
I know. That doesn't change my point.

El Cid said:
Many physicists accept his conclusion. I dont know if it qualifies as generally. But well known and respected physicists do, like Wolpert and Stanley Jaki, and Douglas Hofstadler.
That's great, too. There can be some physicists who hold theories that haven't been proven, or at least accepted by cosmology in general. Investigate and explore away! Let me know when it cosmology accepts this theory. That's how science works.
But the problem is that mainstream science has a philosophical bias against the possibility of the supernatural.
El Cid said:
It is unlikely that it will if they are not open to it and the mainstream academia does not appear to be.
Now you have another claim that you need to support, the claim that they are not open to it. Also, any evidence for this claim has to be distinguished from evidence that would merely show that cosmology has undertaken a fair evaluation of the theory and has rejected it.
Read Jerry Bergman's book "Silencing the Darwin Skeptics". It applies to cosmology as well.
That article does not support your original claim about UFOs:
Sara Seager, an astrophysicist at M.I.T., cautioned that not knowing the origin of an object does not mean that it is from another planet or galaxy. “When people claim to observe truly unusual phenomena, sometimes it’s worth investigating seriously,” she said. But, she added, “what people sometimes don’t get about science is that we often have phenomena that remain unexplained.”
James E. Oberg, a former NASA space shuttle engineer and the author of 10 books on spaceflight who often debunks U.F.O. sightings, was also doubtful. “There are plenty of prosaic events and human perceptual traits that can account for these stories,”
I'm all for studying and investigating weird phenomenon. But this NYT article you linked to certainly didn't show "empirical observations by scientists of some UFOs plainly violating the laws of physics." A report of an observation by Navy pilots, for instance, is not scientists saying that the laws of physics have been violated. And, even if a scientist could be produced who said that, even that doesn't matter, because **science** has to acknowledge the violation of the laws of physics, not an individual scientist or a group of scientists. That's how science works, and there are good reasons why it has to work that way.
The astrophysicist Sara Seager says that we often have phenomena that remain unexplained. That is the career protective way of saying that it could be laws of physics violating, ie supernatural.
El Cid said:
Actually we do. For many years scientists were seeing things that appear to point toward the existence of black holes, and then they said these sightings were evidence for black holes and then we discovered that black holes actually exist. So this is the standard way science works. So there is evidence for supernatural because we are seeing things that appear to behave as a supernatural event would behave, therefore this is evidence for the supernatural.
Something "appearing" to be evidence for a claim might well be evidence for the claim, or it might not be. We can conclude nothing from something "appearing" to , for instance, support the existence of black holes. Once further evidence is gathered, it's the totality of the evidence that shows that black holes exist. Before that, all you have is something that **might** indicate some phenomenon.
That is not what most scientists say.
El Cid said:
UFOs travel faster than it is possible for physical objects to travel in an atmosphere and at the point that time > 0 the BB goes against all known laws of physics.
AFAIK, we have **reports** that this has happened, but those reports have not been confirmed to actually be what they purport to be. Until we get actual confirmation, all we have is an area of research, not a conclusion.
I agree we dont have a confirmed conclusion, but it is evidence.
El Cid said:
In addition, there is strong historical evidence for the resurrection of Christ which also of course violates the laws of physics.
We've got enough on our plate with cosmology and UFOs, forgive me if I decline to get into the resurrection.
Ok

You said we need to explore the events to determine if they are supernatural. But two of my examples of supernatural events occurred in the deep past. The BB and the resurrection of Christ. How do you explore events in the deep past?
With the same principles you determine the factual situation about anything, it's just a bit more difficult. But you still don't draw a conclusion unless the evidence is sufficient to make that conclusion.

But the problem is that mainstream science has a philosophical bias against the possibility of the supernatural.
You're using the ostensible fact of a philosophical bias from science as a reason for a more favorable evaluation of the possibility of the supernatural. So when I say that you have to now support your claim that science has this bias, please don't offer as evidence the current position of science that there is no supernatural, as that would be circular reasoning (science doesn't accept the supernatural because they have a bias, and they have a bias because they don't accept the supernatural).

Do you have any evidence of some bias in mainstream science against the supernatural? It will have to be pretty widespread, by definition (of "mainstream" science).

Read Jerry Bergman's book "Silencing the Darwin Skeptics". It applies to cosmology as well.
I'm here for conversation. If you'd like to talk about what's in that book, that would be great. Otherwise, we won't be able to talk about it.

The astrophysicist Sara Seager says that we often have phenomena that remain unexplained. That is the career protective way of saying that it could be laws of physics violating, ie supernatural.
Again, you've put forward another claim - that unexplained phenomenon are merely a way to protect careers - that you will have to support and not just say it is so, and do so in a way that isn't circular. I await the non-circular evidence you present to support your claim.

That is not what most scientists say.
If you have something from scientists in general that says that something merely "appearing" to be the case, as distinct from actually being evidence that supports some claim, is evidence we can throw on the pile to conclude that X is the case, please present it. Otherwise, basic logic and definitions of words argues otherwise. Things that appear to be the case can easily not be the case, and how could science work if they accepted "appear" to be?

I agree we dont have a confirmed conclusion, but it is evidence.
Sure, it's evidence, but not enough evidence to reach a conclusion about the UFO, so the "U" in UFO remains.

My definition of faith:

Faith is accepting as truth that for which there is no sufficiently compelling evidence
Faith is accepting as fact that for which there is no ultimate proof
Faith is believing without seeing
Faith is trusting without good reason

Whenever I share my definition of faith with a Christian it is automatically, and with a high haughtiness, dismissed
And in it's place, the Christian asserts that faith is:

"confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see"

Can somebody please explain to me how my definition of faith differs from the biblical definition?

How does having 'confidence in what one hopes for'
differ from
'accepting as truth that for which there is no sufficient evidence'?

How does an 'assurance about what we do not see'
differ from
an 'acceptance as fact minus ultimate proof'?
Who cares about YOUR "Definition"??? Why not use the Biblical Definition
WHat is faith? Heb 11:1
How does faith come? Rom 10:17
How is FAITH Applied? Mark 11:22-24

Next question??

Are you implying that science is suppressing evidence of the supernatural?

Really...?
No, science cant do anything. Some scientists suppress things though to fit their own views and pet theories. And for most scientists, the supernatural is a priori rejected no matter what the evidence says.

Yes.

The German definition of gift is "poison".
Why is this "false", and the English definition "true"?
Chuckle!!! Both definitions are true - in context. Is THAT the best you can do????
<Insert dictator>'s qualities are what <insert dictator> says they are.
Chuckle!! desperation on display!!! But HEY!!! When the Dictator is GOD - then the dictator's words are truth.
But who cares what you think?
ME!!

Next question????

DNA transmits information unrelated to the mode of transmission, just like language.
DNA is chemistry doing what chemistry does. That it's a code because of conscious intelligence behind it is something you haven't demonstrated.
Ok if this is just ordinary chemistry, provide another example where chemistry transmits information unrelated to the mode of transmission.

Back