Are we saved by our own efforts or are we saved by God's efforts ?

Arikel88

Where are you in the world did you get saved because you wanted or because you asked for it ? Can we be saved because Jesus wanted it or becuase you were destined tell you own testimony how you are saved ? Tell us how you were saved and what you wanted was by your will or by God's will. Because you can't be saved by your own efforts only by God's who put you in your life ?

Hello @Arikel88, we are saved by Christ alone, by His death on the Cross in our stead, and by the perfectly righteous life that He lived before His Father as a man (for us/on our behalf), the perfectly righteous life that we were supposed to/needed to live before the Father .. but could not. Therefore the Lord Jesus is our only innocence, our only righteousness, and the only atonement and satisfaction for our sins (and for His Father's wrath) .. e.g. 2 Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 9:22, 10:4.

Romans 5
8 God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
9 Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.
10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

God bless you!!

~Deuteronomy
p.s. - I thought that I should add that we are the ones who choose to believe, and also the ones who continue to do the believing .. e.g.
John 3:16 (though it is by God's gift of saving faith alone that we are enabled to believe, and that we will choose to believe so, again, the whole of our salvation tracks back to/is credited to God ALONE, and what He, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, did to make it happen .. e.g. Ezekiel 36:26-27; John 3:3; Ephesians 2:1-3, 4-5; Titus 3:5).

Ephesians 2
8 By grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Last edited:
God himself, of His own free will, has made an excellent path to safety that takes
will power out of the equation.

Jer 31:31-34 . . Behold, the days come-- declares The Lord --that I will make a
new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: not according
to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the
hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which My covenant they broke,
although I was an husband unto them-- declares The Lord.

. . . But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel: After
those days-- declares The Lord --I will put My law in their inward parts, and write it
in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be My people. And they shall
teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, "know
The Lord" for they shall all know Me, from the least of them unto the greatest of
them

FAQ: The new covenant speaks of "My law". Where is it? When God codified the old
covenant, He wrote its law on some tables of stone. Why doesn't the new covenant
have tables of stone?

REPLY: Does anyone need a book of instructions on how to think, feel, and act like
a human? No; their human nature manages all that for them. In other words: the
law of human nature is in their inward parts and written in their heart. (Rom 7:15
23)

Now, supposing that instead of the law of human nature, there was a law of divine
nature in their inward parts and written in their heart. How would they think, feel,
and act then? Well; I can tell you, with confidence, that they wouldn't need a book
of instructions to think, feel, and act divine because a law of divine nature would
manage all that for them. Is what I'm saying possible? Yes.

2Pet 1:3-4 . . His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and
godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by
which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through
these you may be partakers of the divine nature.

That passage mentions "great and precious promises" relative to the divine nature.
Where are they? Well, they're contained in the language of the new covenant
quoted at the beginning of this posting. The promises are also contained in the
language of Ezek 36:24-28 which says:

"I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and
will bring you into your own land. Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and
you shall be clean from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

. . . A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will
take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
And I will put My spirit within you, and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you
shall keep My judgments, and do them. And you shall dwell in the land that I gave
to your fathers; and you shall be My people, and I will be your God."
_

Yes in our hearts he wrote them but we need to find the laws becasue in our heart is the law of what he put in the Eden the law of gensis that all that you see is yours and govern over small animals and women was given that with men, the heart of A child is in because in old testament God told moses peoplea t that time to teach the hear tof A child the law of moses and the parents to do the same with their hearts. Here we see the heart of A child is their and exist also jesus says to be like children and know they are the highest in heaven. Also to have put your hands in god's hands must be in your heart, To love like he does in your ehart must also be thier because is how you've become the person he wants and change to person closer to the love of God hard to understand.

You cannot acheive this by your efforts only by God's and to get that only pray and pray and they will come too. Your not save by your efforts only god's can save you dn't fight him just say he is right and no matter how bad things get will never let go of his hands.

The salvation of a man requires BOTH God and man.

God's role in man's salvation was in sending His Son to die for the sins of man. For God so loved the world that He ""GAVE"" His only begotten Son. The world was not deserving of Christ but because of God's love He GAVE (a free gift) His Son. Though God gave the free gift of Christ to the world, the world universally will not all be unconditionally saved, many will be lost (Mt 7:13) for God's free gift of Christ must be willingly received by men. Though Christ was God's free gift to man, yet only those who obey Christ will be saved (Heb 9:5). Only those men who willingly obey Christ meet the condition God has placed upon His free gift of salvation.

Therefore God's role was providing the free gift of Christ to save men and it is man's role to receive God's gift by being obedient to Christ.

Where are you in the world did you get saved because you wanted or because you asked for it ? Can we be saved because Jesus wanted it or becuase you were destined tell you own testimony how you are saved ? Tell us how you were saved and what you wanted was by your will or by God's will. Because you can't be saved by your own efforts only by God's who put you in your life ?
We are saved by Grace through Faith...those are two different things...God provided grace through his son Jesus and we must accept that grace through the faith that God has given us. They work together, if we do not act on the faith we have been given we cannot be saved. Therefore you cannot be saved without your own efforts. Else all men are saved if it without their own effort.

You cannot acheive this by your efforts only by God's and to get that only pray and pray and they will come too. Your not save by your efforts only god's can save you dn't fight him just say he is right and no matter how bad things get will never let go of his hands.
If that is the case why then are not all men saved since they have no input. You are not making any sense. You say no effort yet you say pray and pray. Is prayer not effort? You say never let go of his hands, is not holding on to his hands an effort?

The salvation of a man requires BOTH God and man.

God's role in man's salvation was in sending His Son to die for the sins of man. For God so loved the world that He ""GAVE"" His only begotten Son. The world was not deserving of Christ but because of God's love He GAVE (a free gift) His Son. Though God gave the free gift of Christ to the world, the world universally will not all be unconditionally saved, many will be lost (Mt 7:13) for God's free gift of Christ must be willingly received by men. Though Christ was God's free gift to man, yet only those who obey Christ will be saved (Heb 9:5). Only those men who willingly obey Christ meet the condition God has placed upon His free gift of salvation.

Therefore God's role was providing the free gift of Christ to save men and it is man's role to receive God's gift by being obedient to Christ.
The Old Testament is a testament to the futility of relying upon one's will and effort to attain salvation. The carnal man's will is subject to the depravity of their fallen nature, and cannot please God. That heart must be replaced by God according to his sovereign will.

The bible clearly distinguishes between the Old Testament with it's focus on reliance upon one's will, effort, and decisions, and the New Testament with it's focus on God's promise. The damned needn't rely upon their own will, belief, faith, etc. when God's promises cannot come back to him void.

There is a sovereign God who keeps his promises. Then there are the damned who believe they can thwart their god's will. That's no god at all.

There is no sin in Christ, and therefore, those in Christ cannot sin. Those who continue to sin have already been cut off.

Hello @Arikel88, we are saved by Christ alone, by His death on the Cross in our stead, and by the perfectly righteous life that He lived before His Father as a man (for us/on our behalf), the perfectly righteous life that we were supposed to/needed to live before the Father .. but could not. Therefore the Lord Jesus is our only innocence, our only righteousness, and the only atonement and satisfaction for our sins (and for His Father's wrath) .. e.g. 2 Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 9:22, 10:4.

Romans 5
8 God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
9 Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.
10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

God bless you!!

~Deuteronomy
p.s. - I thought that I should add that we are the ones who choose to believe, and also the ones who continue to do the believing .. e.g.
John 3:16 (though it is by God's gift of saving faith alone that we are enabled to believe, and that we will choose to believe so, again, the whole of our salvation tracks back to/is credited to God ALONE, and what He, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, did to make it happen .. e.g. Ezekiel 36:26-27; John 3:3; Ephesians 2:1-3, 4-5; Titus 3:5).

Ephesians 2
8 By grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
The term,"we are saved by Christ alone" is not in the scripture.
The term "saving faith alone" is not in the scripture
If you remove those two pieces of rubbish that you put in your whole doctrine fall apart.
Therefore you cannot teach your doctrine without adding to the scripture.

The Old Testament is a testament to the futility of relying upon one's will and effort to attain salvation. The carnal man's will is subject to the depravity of their fallen nature, and cannot please God. That heart must be replaced by God according to his sovereign will.

The bible clearly distinguishes between the Old Testament with it's focus on reliance upon one's will, effort, and decisions, and the New Testament with it's focus on God's promise. The damned needn't rely upon their own will, belief, faith, etc. when God's promises cannot come back to him void.

There is a sovereign God who keeps his promises. Then there are the damned who believe they can thwart their god's will. That's no god at all.

There is no sin in Christ, and therefore, those in Christ cannot sin. Those who continue to sin have already been cut off.
The Ot requires the Jew to work to keep all the OT perfectly in order to justified by that law (Gal 3:10) but the NT gospel salvation is by grace through obedient faith and not the work of flawless law keeping.

The Ot requires the Jew to work to keep all the OT perfectly in order to justified by that law (Gal 3:10)
False. No one is justified by keeping the law. Galatians 3:11. Moreover, Paul isn't making the claims you suppose as he clearly points out that " And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them."

How does the man do them then? By faith!!!
but the NT gospel salvation is by grace through obedient faith and not the work of flawless law keeping.
Obedient faith is not flawed. Fail. Try again.

False. No one is justified by keeping the law. Galatians 3:11. Moreover, Paul isn't making the claims you suppose as he clearly points out that " And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them."

How does the man do them then? By faith!!!

Obedient faith is not flawed. Fail. Try again.
In Gal 3, when Paul speaks of the law he is referring to the OT law that required perfect, flawless law keeping, And as I pointed, out no one could be justified by the OT law for it requires the Jew to keep ALL of it perfectly. Since the Jew could not keep it perfectly is what Paul says that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God (Gal 3:11). But justification does come by the NT gospel by an obedient faith. An obedient faith does not require perfect, flawless law keeping as the OT required.

Again, the context of Galatians is that Paul is condemning some of the Christians in Galatia that were led away from the NT by Judiazing teachers back to the OT law. Paul's point to those fallen Galatians is why did you leave the NT gospel that does justify by an obedient faith and go back to the OT law that cannot justify you for it requires perfect, flawless law keeping that you will not be able to do....going back to that OT law they made themselves a debtor to keeping the whole law (Gal 5:3) for offending that OT law in just one point brought the curse of law upon one.

Since justification by the OT law required perfect law keeping to ALL the OT law, then faith did not matter under that OT law (Gal 3:12) for all that mattered was what you did in keeping all of it perfectly. Paul was referring to Leviticus 18:5 which basically told the Jew to forget about faith, keep the law perfectly and live.

In Gal 3, when Paul speaks of the law he is referring to the OT law that required perfect, flawless law keeping,
You're repeating yourself which doesn't advance the discussion in the slightest.
And as I pointed, out no one could be justified by the OT law for it requires the Jew to keep ALL of it perfectly.
False. No one is justified by the law. Period. Your god may have a double standard, but the one true God is not duplicitous or a respecter of persons.
justification does come by the NT gospel by an obedient faith.
There is no such thing as a disobedient faith. You're attempting to make a distinction with no effective difference.
An obedient faith does not require perfect, flawless law keeping as the OT required.
Again, you're repeating yourself which doesn't begin to address what I posted.
Again, the context of Galatians is that Paul is condemning some of the Christians in Galatia that were led away from the NT by Judiazing teachers back to the OT law.

False. He is addressing their claim that one can be justified by keeping the law. No one was, is or ever will be justified by keeping the law. Period. The rest of your post is just repeating the exact same claims over again.

Only the doers of the law are justified, but they are not justified by the law. They're justified by faith, and that faith is what allows them to be "doers of the law."

You keep ignoring the fact that it is only the doers of the law that can be justified. Address that fact, and you might get another response. Ignore it, and you've conceded the point.

You're repeating yourself which doesn't advance the discussion in the slightest.
Your god may have a double standard, but the one true God is not duplicitous or a respecter of persons.

There is no such thing as a disobedient faith. You're attempting to make a distinction with no effective difference.

Again, you're repeating yourself which doesn't begin to address what I posted.

False. He is addressing their claim that one can be justified by keeping the law. No one was, is or ever will be justified by keeping the law. Period. The rest of your post is just repeating the exact same claims over again.

Only the doers of the law are justified, but they are not justified by the law. They're justified by faith, and that faith is what allows them to be "doers of the law."

You keep ignoring the fact that it is only the doers of the law that can be justified. Address that fact, and you might get another response. Ignore it, and you've conceded the point.
You posted "False. No one is justified by keeping the law" and I was pointing out it was the OT law that no one is justified by for one can be justified by the NT gospel. Since the OT LAW required flawless law keeping to be justified then faith was not of the OT LAW.

--James 2:14, James speaks of a type of faith that does not have obedience.

--I agree doers are justified therefore faith only cannot justify.

You posted "False. No one is justified by keeping the law"
Correct. Now you're repeating what I'm posting. I haven't forgotten my own argument.
and I was pointing out it was the OT law that no one is justified by
Correct.
for one can be justified by the NT gospel.
The "NT gospel"? Could you be any more vague?
Since the OT LAW required flawless law keeping to be justified
False!!! Please document where you're getting this idea from.
then faith was not of the OT LAW.
False. Non Sequitur. Your premise is also false so your conclusions are necessarily so as well.
--James 2:14, James speaks of a type of faith that does not have obedience.
You haven't comprehended James' argument either. He explicitly presents those who "claim" they have faith but produce no works. He's pointing out that they have no faith at all due to the fact that faith necessarily produces works. Works are the CONSEQUENCE of faith. Now works = no faith.
--I agree doers are justified therefore faith only cannot justify.
Then you've adopted my position, and denied your own argument because Paul is explicitly referring to the Mosaic law when he says "the doers of the law are justified".

Mat 7:7, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Mat 7:8, For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Rom 10:8, But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
Rom 10:9, That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10, For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Rom 10:11, For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
Rom 10:12, For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
Rom 10:13, For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Hos 14:2, Take with you words, and turn to the LORD: say unto him, Take away all iniquity, and receive us graciously: so will we render the calves of our lips.

This wise words from another I read once reveled to me our efforts since the beggining cannot save us but once know Jesus all our attention and work goes to him aftrerwards and still do not save unless we are baptized to him. We are in God's path and our path has been destined we can change it but we must ask fist for his guidance. No matter the outcome we cannot win in our own efforts even if we win A race, best employee of the month, and be have you destiny change by yourself it will not come out like you want in the end. No, only God changes destiny to the one he wants and the one is the destiny you were meant even if the newscast, psychcis,or mother says otherwise God had A plan of God for you and his plan how hard it is is great one. Still to know your full potential you must give more to God and he will gve it all.

Eph 2:8,9 Romans 9

Correct. Now you're repeating what I'm posting. I haven't forgotten my own argument.

Correct.

The "NT gospel"? Could you be any more vague?

False!!! Please document where you're getting this idea from.

False. Non Sequitur. Your premise is also false so your conclusions are necessarily so as well.

You haven't comprehended James' argument either. He explicitly presents those who "claim" they have faith but produce no works. He's pointing out that they have no faith at all due to the fact that faith necessarily produces works. Works are the CONSEQUENCE of faith. Now works = no faith.

Then you've adopted my position, and denied your own argument because Paul is explicitly referring to the Mosaic law when he says "the doers of the law are justified".
The NT gospel is the death burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Cor 15:1-4) that saves, that must be obeyed (2 Thess 1:8) in order for one to be saved.

==============

In Gal 3:10 "For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them." The Jew had to continue in ALL THINGS to be justified by that law. Paul's point to those Galatians that went back to the OT law to find justification was they made themselves a debtor to the WHOLE law (Gal 5:3). Therefore the OT law did require perfect flawless law keeping to be justified by it for just one sin brought the curse of that law upon one.

Heb 7:19 "For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God." That OT law could not bring complete total forgiveness of sins, could not make one perfect for all it would do was condemn when one violated just one law. The "better hope" is the NT and Christianity, the Priesthood of Christ that can and does justify the obedient.

Paul spends the first 4 chapters of Romans proving the OT law cannot justify. He spends chapters 1 and 2 proving both Gentile and Jew are sinners and sinners are in need of justification. Paul's spends the first half of chapter 3 speaking about the OT law that was given to the Jew. Though it provided many advantages for the Jew it COULD NOT JUSTIFY the Jew. Therefore the Jew was no better than the Gentile both under sin and in need of justification. Paul finished chapter 3 by saying FAITH (not faith only) justifies and Paul contrasts works of the OT law from faith..."Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin". AGAIN, the OT law required perfect flawless deeds/law keeping to be justified but no Jew could do that leaving the Jew unjustified before God as the Gentile. So even though the Jews were given their own law, and even though it provideded advantages to the Jew over the Gentile that OT could not justify the Jew for it required perfect law keeping.

To prove his point in Rom 3 Paul uses In Romans 4 two men as examples the Jews would be very familiar with (Abraham and David) and shows how neither one of them was justified by the law but by an obedient faith instead. Romans 4:1-2 ...what did Abraham gain by his own efforts in the flesh? Did Abraham in the flesh keep the OT law perfectly therefore justified by works (v2) that is, justified by his work of perfect law keeping? No, for Abraham sinned nor did Abraham even live under the OT law (vs 9,10) and he could not be justified by a law he did not live under. Yet David DID live under the OT, was he justified by the works of the law in flawless law keeping? No, he also sinned. So how were these two men justified? NOT by works of the OT law that required flawless law keeping but by an obedient faith. Paul's point to the Jews here is if the two greatest men known to the Jews could not be justified by the flesh in keeping the OT law perfectly, then what Jew would dare think they could do better than Abraham or David and be justified by the flesh.

So the point of Romans chapters 1-4 is the OT law could not justify the sinner (Gentile nor Jew) by it's work requirement of flawless law keeping but and obedient faith can justify. Many miss the point of these chapters by falsely claiming Paul eliminated ALL works of ALL kinds from justification when according to the context he only eliminated the work of the OT law that required flawless law keeping,

MAIN POINT: Paul is CONTRASTING those flawless works of the OT law that cannot justify FROM an obedient faith that does justify (Romans 6:17-18).

=========================

James points out that a faith that includes obedience justifes while a faith only cannot justify being void of obedience. Faith and faith only are NOT the same thing. Rom 5:1-2 faith justifies while faith only does not justify, James 2:24. If faith and faith only were the same then either both would justify nor neither would justify. Since faith justifies that means faith that includes obedience justifes while faith only will not. The Bible tiers faith to obedient works so closely that it calls faith itself a work, (Mark 2:1--5).

I have not adopted your position but have always believed that obedient works do justify and that that the flawless works as required by the OT law cannot justify for none of us can keep that law perfectly.

You are completely wrong when you claim doers of the OT are justified for no one could keep the OT law perfectly as that law required, no one other than Christ who kept it perfectly. Go back and read Rom chapters 1-4 how the Jew was a sinner (chapter 2) and the OT law could not justify that Jew (chapter 3) leaving the Jew just as unjustifed as the Gentile. It takes an obedient faith for Jew and Gentile to be justified not flawless works in keeping the OT law.

==========================

Rom 2:12 "For as many as have sinned without the law shall also perish without the law: and as many as have sinned under the law shall be judged by the law;"

"law" here refers the the OT law per the context. The Gentiles were the ones "without law" for the OT law was only given to the Jews (Deut 5). Even though the Gentiles were without the OT law the fact that still sinned was proof they were under some kind of law for with out law there is no sin (Rom 4:15).
Those that "sinned under the law" were the Jews to whom the OT law was given. Though the Jews had a law given them it did not protect them from condemnation for it required the work of flawless law keeping to be justified which the Jew could not do. They could not stand justified before God by their merits for the only way one can stand before God justified (apart from Christ) would be by keeping the law perfectly thereby be sinless/just before God...but no Jew could do that.

Rom 2:13 "for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified;"

Just hearing the law was not enough to be justified, one had to be a doer of the law to be justified. Paul's point here in Rom 2 is proving the Jews are sinners like the Gentiles (Rom 1) and here in v13 that the Jews had put too much emphasis on hearing the law read and having knowledge of the law that they did not do the law. Paul is not implying in v13 that the Jews had kept the OT law perfectly for they had not, but that it takes doing and just not listening, just not knowledge to be justified. So Paul in v13 is teaching a general principle that doing is required to be justified not just hearing. Again, Paul is not implying in anyway in v13 the Jews were justified by flawless, perfect law keeping. The same is true of the NT, just being a hearing and having knowledge of the NT does not justify but doing (obedience) to the NT gospel is required to be justified (James 1:22-25).

Again, nowhere does Paul imply the Jews kept the OT law perfectly for they did not. But there were those who lived under the OT law that were saved as David. Yet David sinned, hence David was NOT a doer of the law in any absolute, perfect sense but a doer in the sense that what he did in being obedient to God was what justified him. David was a doer in obedience to God not a doer in perfect law keeping.

The NT gospel is the death burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Cor 15:1-4) that saves, that must be obeyed (2 Thess 1:8) in order for one to be saved.
This as well as everything that follow is not only too incoherent, contradictory and convoluted, but you're just ignoring what I'm posting and repeating yourself all over again. You've already conceded the argument. Nuff said.
==============

In Gal 3:10 "For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them." The Jew had to continue in ALL THINGS to be justified by that law. Paul's point to those Galatians that went back to the OT law to find justification was they made themselves a debtor to the WHOLE law (Gal 5:3). Therefore the OT law did require perfect flawless law keeping to be justified by it for just one sin brought the curse of that law upon one.

Heb 7:19 "For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God." That OT law could not bring complete total forgiveness of sins, could not make one perfect for all it would do was condemn when one violated just one law. The "better hope" is the NT and Christianity, the Priesthood of Christ that can and does justify the obedient.

Paul spends the first 4 chapters of Romans proving the OT law cannot justify. He spends chapters 1 and 2 proving both Gentile and Jew are sinners and sinners are in need of justification. Paul's spends the first half of chapter 3 speaking about the OT law that was given to the Jew. Though it provided many advantages for the Jew it COULD NOT JUSTIFY the Jew. Therefore the Jew was no better than the Gentile both under sin and in need of justification. Paul finished chapter 3 by saying FAITH (not faith only) justifies and Paul contrasts works of the OT law from faith..."Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin". AGAIN, the OT law required perfect flawless deeds/law keeping to be justified but no Jew could do that leaving the Jew unjustified before God as the Gentile. So even though the Jews were given their own law, and even though it provideded advantages to the Jew over the Gentile that OT could not justify the Jew for it required perfect law keeping.

To prove his point in Rom 3 Paul uses In Romans 4 two men as examples the Jews would be very familiar with (Abraham and David) and shows how neither one of them was justified by the law but by an obedient faith instead. Romans 4:1-2 ...what did Abraham gain by his own efforts in the flesh? Did Abraham in the flesh keep the OT law perfectly therefore justified by works (v2) that is, justified by his work of perfect law keeping? No, for Abraham sinned nor did Abraham even live under the OT law (vs 9,10) and he could not be justified by a law he did not live under. Yet David DID live under the OT, was he justified by the works of the law in flawless law keeping? No, he also sinned. So how were these two men justified? NOT by works of the OT law that required flawless law keeping but by an obedient faith. Paul's point to the Jews here is if the two greatest men known to the Jews could not be justified by the flesh in keeping the OT law perfectly, then what Jew would dare think they could do better than Abraham or David and be justified by the flesh.

So the point of Romans chapters 1-4 is the OT law could not justify the sinner (Gentile nor Jew) by it's work requirement of flawless law keeping but and obedient faith can justify. Many miss the point of these chapters by falsely claiming Paul eliminated ALL works of ALL kinds from justification when according to the context he only eliminated the work of the OT law that required flawless law keeping,

MAIN POINT: Paul is CONTRASTING those flawless works of the OT law that cannot justify FROM an obedient faith that does justify (Romans 6:17-18).

James points out that a faith that includes obedience justifes while a faith only cannot justify being void of obedience. Faith and faith only are NOT the same thing. Rom 5:1-2 faith justifies while faith only does not justify, James 2:24. If faith and faith only were the same then either both would justify nor neither would justify. Since faith justifies that means faith that includes obedience justifes while faith only will not. The Bible tiers faith to obedient works so closely that it calls faith itself a work, (Mark 2:1--5).

I have not adopted your position but have always believed that obedient works do justify and that that the flawless works as required by the OT law cannot justify for none of us can keep that law perfectly.

You are completely wrong when you claim doers of the OT are justified for no one could keep the OT law perfectly as that law required, no one other than Christ who kept it perfectly. Go back and read Rom chapters 1-4 how the Jew was a sinner (chapter 2) and the OT law could not justify that Jew (chapter 3) leaving the Jew just as unjustifed as the Gentile. It takes an obedient faith for Jew and Gentile to be justified not flawless works in keeping the OT law.

==========================

Rom 2:12 "For as many as have sinned without the law shall also perish without the law: and as many as have sinned under the law shall be judged by the law;"

"law" here refers the the OT law per the context. The Gentiles were the ones "without law" for the OT law was only given to the Jews (Deut 5). Even though the Gentiles were without the OT law the fact that still sinned was proof they were under some kind of law for with out law there is no sin (Rom 4:15).
Those that "sinned under the law" were the Jews to whom the OT law was given. Though the Jews had a law given them it did not protect them from condemnation for it required the work of flawless law keeping to be justified which the Jew could not do. They could not stand justified before God by their merits for the only way one can stand before God justified (apart from Christ) would be by keeping the law perfectly thereby be sinless/just before God...but no Jew could do that.

Rom 2:13 "for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified;"

Just hearing the law was not enough to be justified, one had to be a doer of the law to be justified. Paul's point here in Rom 2 is proving the Jews are sinners like the Gentiles (Rom 1) and here in v13 that the Jews had put too much emphasis on hearing the law read and having knowledge of the law that they did not do the law. Paul is not implying in v13 that the Jews had kept the OT law perfectly for they had not, but that it takes doing and just not listening, just not knowledge to be justified. So Paul in v13 is teaching a general principle that doing is required to be justified not just hearing. Again, Paul is not implying in anyway in v13 the Jews were justified by flawless, perfect law keeping. The same is true of the NT, just being a hearing and having knowledge of the NT does not justify but doing (obedience) to the NT gospel is required to be justified (James 1:22-25).

Again, nowhere does Paul imply the Jews kept the OT law perfectly for they did not. But there were those who lived under the OT law that were saved as David. Yet David sinned, hence David was NOT a doer of the law in any absolute, perfect sense but a doer in the sense that what he did in being obedient to God was what justified him. David was a doer in obedience to God not a doer in perfect law keeping.

Back