Faith Alone

OBJECTOR: Well, if the Catholic Church really teaches salvation by grace, that’s wonderful. But it’s hard for me to believe because Catholics place so much emphasis on doing good works. Paul’s letters stress again and again that salvation comes through faith alone. In addition to Galatians 2:15–16,consider Romans 4:2: “For if Abraham was justified by works,he has something to boast about,but not before God.” Then three verses later,in 4:5, Paul puts it another way:“And to one who does not work but trusts him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness.”

CATHOLIC:We don’t disagree about the primary role that faith plays. Following Paul,the Catholic Church teaches that justification comes by faith. Only it says that it doesn’t come through faith alone. If you look carefully at Paul’s writings, you will notice that he never says that our righteousness comes from faith alone—only that it comes from faith apart from works.

just tell us: What works?

Just tell us: What works?
I already did in the previous post. And the purpose of works isn’t for Gods benefit it’s for our benefit. I also don’t think that Protestants and Catholics have come to the point where they can all come together singing Kumbaya my Lord Kumbaya as a result of having reached a mutual agreement on the doctrine of salvation by faith alone. That was the reason for my post.

Last edited:
I already did in the previous post. And the purpose of works isn’t for Gods benefit it’s for our benefit.
Good works also make others glorify God.
Matthew 5:16
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

1 Timothy 6:18
18 Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share,

Galatians 5:4-6
You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.

Last edited:
Where in scripture is that teaching?
”then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground” (Gen 2:7)
You are making up your own doctrine.
…or your mind is closed, kinda like,

“But their minds were hardened. For to this day, when they read the old covenant, that same veil remains unlifted, because only through Christ is it taken away.”

People who think the Bible is primarily historical and literal, like the Pharisees in Paul’s time, cannot see the spiritual meaning of scripture. The heavenly/celestial Christ revealed by scripture and doctrines associated with his cosmic life are foreign to such people.

Since we will never see eye-to-eye you can have the last word cause I don’t plan on spinning my wheels with you.

You just posted this
docphin5 said:
These are two elephants (James and Paul) in combat with each other over doctrine, not two friends explaining the same doctrine in different ways.

have you already forgotten what you posted?
Two people belonging to the same community, in this case, the “party of Christ”, may have sharp disagreements on a specific matter, in this case whether Gentile converts should Judaize or not, —again, whether Gentile converts are obligated to the works commanded by the Mosaic Law, —to the point of becoming estranged but then over time one of the people can soften their position (or both) and the relationship is restored. It happens in life all the time, especially in families. That is what I perceive happened in the natural development of Christianity and which scholars have documented.

Arguably, Peter, James, and John, came around to see Paul’s Gospel as the correct one. Gentile converts were not obligated to obey works of the Law: food purity, temple sacrifices, sabbath ordinances, circumcision, Jewish feast and festivals, etc. Faith was sufficient to confer righteousness led by a moral consciousness, aka, the inner Yeshua or Holy Spirit. Paul’s Gospel was universal in scope, whereas, Jame’s Gospel, at least initially, was particular to Judaism.

Did anyone of them mention two natures?

Seems like you are promoting division.

seem like Peter is promoting unity

Last edited:
Don't you know what good works are?
yep :
works of the law
and works of righteousness

your claim that works are required

Romans 3:28 For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.

Titus 3:5 He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

What else is there?
What are the works you think save?

It means....you can't earn salvation. There's more but that's a start.

Romans 3:25-27
25 Him God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
26 to declare, I say, at this time, His righteousness: that He might be just, and the justifier of him that believeth in Jesus.
27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? Nay, but by the law of faith.

yep :works of the law and works of righteousness

your claim that works are required

Romans 3:28 For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.

Titus 3:5 He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

What else is there?
What are the works you think save?

We are saved by grace. We are not saved by works neither are we saved by our faith alone.

How do you define "Faith Alone"?

Does faith alone mean "lawlessness" where we completely disregard the commandments?
Eph 2:8,9 makes it clear that Salvation IS NOT through "Works", but by FAITH (gifted by God since humans can't generate Biblical FAITH on their own).

One who has been Born AGain by FAITH, has also been indwelled by the Holy Spirit, who joins with their human spirit, and provides the impetus for Romans 8:28,29 - i.e. All things work TOGETHER for the good of the person, and that "Good" is defined as "Conforming one to the IMAGE of Jesus".

The LAW is there as big as life, BUT the Born Again Christian has already been judged by it, and their "old Man" has been nailed to the cross along with Jesus (Gal 2:20). The law has no effect on a dead person.

HOWEVER THE LAW remains eternally as the Will of God for humans, and since the Born Again human is indwelled by the Holy Spirit, naturally their tendency will be toward living according to the law (imperfectly, since we're still human), but with a constant trend toward better performing God's will in life. (Sanctification is a PROCESS that works in us as long as we live).

Back