Is intelligent design continuing?

Tiburon

Other than Creationism Is there an alternative standard understanding of intelligent design?
Is intelligent design an ongoing process? Should we, for example, expect to see new creations appear?

Is intelligent design an ongoing process? Should we, for example, expect to see new creations appear?
If intelligent design was a real science, its proponents would be able to answer with predictions for the ID future.

Other than Creationism Is there an alternative standard understanding of intelligent design?
Other than “creationism”, as you say, accurately defined as “wooden literalism” by another poster, —again, setting “creationism” aside, there is an ongoing intelligent design (not according to creationism) in which all causes known and unknown are bringing about what the supreme designer wills.

Therefore, in answer to your question, there is an alternative intelligent design that is arguably an ongoing process.

You ask, “should we expect to see new creations appear?” Not by divine, supernatural acts of creation, as we already set aside “creationism”, but by nature itself, for nature will do what it has within itself potentially to do, what all known and unknown causes will cause it to do, for nature is the power of God.

What can we expect to happen according to the Christian religion is our material world will be transmuted to a perfect kingdom of light, a “new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.” (2 peter 3:13).

How does that happen?

the [material] heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the [material] earth and the work.” (3:10)

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first [material] heaven and the first earth had passed away,” (Rev 21:1)

That is what the designer has willed to happen through all known and unknown causes, already contained potentially within the nature we now inhabit.

IMO, it sounds like a Big Crunch, a return to a singularity, a perfect union of all things.

Behold, I am making ALL THINGS new.” ( Rev 21:5)

a plan for the fullness of time, to unite ALL THINGS in him, things in heaven and things on earth.” (Eph 1:10)

I am not sure if that is what you were looking for as an answer but your OP was not entirely clear.

Last edited:
IMO, it sounds like a Big Crunch, a return to a singularity, a perfect union of all things.
The Big Crunch would involve the entire universe compressed into a black hole. Seems less than perfect to me...

Also, the evidence indicates expansion is accelerating, so the Big Crunch seems increasingly unlikely.

The Big Crunch would involve the entire universe compressed into a black hole. Seems less than perfect to me...
I was alluding to how it was before the Big Bang, highly ordered energy or light, presuming, “an end as it was in the beginning.” We could argue back and forth but obviously we would be arguing about highly speculative possibilities, neither one of us able to prove or disprove. My point was to demonstrate one possibility for nature that may be reconciled to theological ideas or concepts pertaining to ongoing creative processes, to wit, the future for pious, virtuous souls. Since you have no interest in such a future then you don’t have to consider such a possibility.
Also, the evidence indicates expansion is accelerating, so the Big Crunch seems increasingly unlikely.
True, but the confidence interval for either a cold death or a big crunch overlap at this point, so the verdict is not out yet.

Best regards,

Last edited:
I was alluding to how it was before the Big Bang, highly ordered energy or light, presuming, “an end as it was in the beginning.” We could argue back and forth but obviously we would be arguing about highly speculative possibilities, neither one of us able to prove or disprove. My point was to demonstrate one possibility for nature that may be reconciled to theological ideas or concepts pertaining to ongoing creative processes, to wit, the future for pious, virtuous souls. Since you have no interest in such a future then you don’t have to consider such a possibility.
Okay, so perfect in the sense of being pristine, rather than as a nice place to live....

It does raise the point that what you describe is a very low entropy situation. Entropy at the Big Bang was lower than at any time since, for the same reason. A Big Crunch would seem to me to violate the second law of Thermodynamics. I have to acknowledge that people more knowledgeable in physics still entertain it as a possibility.

Okay, so perfect in the sense of being pristine, rather than as a nice place to live....
Pristine, ordered, immaterial, …perfect (maybe), pure light or energy, …before our present material world (at least), before a chaotic material world. Along those lines.
It does raise the point that what you describe is a very low entropy situation. Entropy at the Big Bang was lower than at any time since, for the same reason. A Big Crunch would seem to me to violate the second law of Thermodynamics. I have to acknowledge that people more knowledgeable in physics still entertain it as a possibility.
I am definitely not an expert on it either.

Last edited:
Should we, for example, expect to see new creations appear?

Creationism expects species to go extinct faster than new species form.

Whereas Evolution requires new species to form faster than species go extinct.

What do YOU expect to see concerning the number of species?

Back