1John 5:1 regeneration before faith

I like this one better. No man can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him and I will raise him up on the day.

There is no conditional in this sentence as much as you wish to insert it.

No condition on the part of man.
All the actions are done by God.

The Spirit comes after faith, confession, repentance.

Anyone granted eyes to see knows the BIBLICAL order below and scripture is consistent in both testaments. The Spirit comes after believe, receive, confess, repent etc.......

Ezekiel 18:30-32
“Therefore, you Israelites, I will judge each of you according to your own ways, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel? For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

Notice what comes first

1- Repent , turn away from sin
2- the after you repent you get a new heart/spirit ( calvinism- regeneration, new life)
3- repent then you live, have life- ie new heart, spirit.

John has the same order in in his opening of the gospel and in his purpose statement for writing his gospel. Receive, Believe, Birth

John 1:12-13

“Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

Same order as above receive, believe, call on Him then the new birth follows.

John 20:31

“But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Once again the order is consistent with the OT- belief/repentance precedes life.

Romans 10:8-13

But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: 9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Again above we see its hearing the gospel, believing the message , confessing then calling upon the Lord results in salvation.

Acts tells us the same order in 11:18- "So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life.” Repent precedes life.

Paul confirms the order in Ephesians below as well. Hearing and believing precedes the Holy Spirit that we were sealed with not before belief.

Ephesians 1:13
“And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit

In Acts below the Spirit comes after repentance

Acts 2:38

Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

In Galatians the Spirit comes after hearing, believing, receiving

Galatians 3:2

I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law, or by hearing with faith?

Galatians 3:14

He redeemed us in order that the blessing promised to Abraham would come to the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

James and Peter have the same exact order in James 1:18 , 1 Peter 1:23.

See how scripture is consistent when you do not read your doctrine into it but read it objectively, without bias ?

Summary of The Biblical order- notice where new life, regeneration is on the list from Scripture.

1- the preaching of the gospel- Rom 10
2- the hearing of the gospel- Rom 10
3- belief in the gospel- John 1:12
4- receiving the gospel- John 1:12
5- repentance Luke 5:32
6- the new birth that results in #7
7- salvation, eternal life- John 1:13
8- Justification- Rom 8:30
9- Sanctification- Rom 8
10- Glorification Rom 8:30

conclusion : the Spirit comes after faith , belief, receiving, repentance, confession, not before.

next.................

hope this helps !!!

this same person says, "follow me" follow... means... to... go... somewhere... where... the other... is walking.

if not -- you are, "not worthy of Me" ........ not a good idea not to listen to this one who says to follow ....

What does that have to do with someone paying the price for you?

"I tell you the truth, if you do not turn

and become as a Child...

you will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven"

Last edited:
... except when you want "draw" to merely mean "enable".
Or should that be, "unless" you want it to mean "enable"? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
You left off a bit

For a simpler version the NIV

but also use many more

but you are still confused

it is not that drawing means enable

but that drawing is how God enables

I believe I told you that already

Had you not understood

I don't know if you noticed this... But I'm still alive and kicking.
And folks like MacArthur, Begg, and White are still broadcasting.
And I believe Chalc recently posted an article showing that Calvinism has been growing...

Oops!
And then it cycles back down as it has multiple times

once its teaching are fully understood

"I tell you the truth, if you do not turn

and become as a Child...

you will n e v e r enter the Kingdom of Heaven"

By the way, what you quoted is one way of describing repentance, which is a gift from God.

2 Tim. 2:25,26 (EMTV)
25 in meekness instructing those that oppose, if God perhaps may give them repentance, to a full knowledge of the truth,
26 and they regain their senses and escape out of the snare of the devil, having been captured alive by him to do his will.

fltom said:
it is how God enables as Jesus stated according to the NIV committee

Theo
Well, they can take it up with the committees behind the ESV, NASB, NET, and NRSV, and others.

No need they do not deny the translation

Theo
Methinks you shouldn't put all your apologetic eggs in one basket when the term is disputed among the different translations.

Who stated it was disputed?

sellecting a different word is not the same as disputing another

fltom said:
and will accept attract

Theo
As long as you understand that "attraction" is 100% efficacious.
It is not some impotent "wooing" or "coaxing".

Attract does not include the idea of irresistibility

The rich young ruler was attracted to Jesus
but that still did not stop him from going away

BTW woo is a synonym for attract

fltom said:
if you want irresistibilty were here you would have universalism

Theo
That's simply false.

Nope all irresistibly drawn is universalism

fltom said:
So again you will not be giving the drawing of a mindless sword as an example of what Helko might mean in John 6:44

Theo
I never said anything about "mindless".
But YOU haven't demonstrated that the meaning of "helkuo" is dependent on whether the object drawn has a "mind" or not. It's irrelevant.

You are in denial here

I gave many examples showing that

fltom said:
God is not unconditionally giving men to Jesus

Theo
Unconditionally to the men, certainly He is.

Nope he is giving those that are his

those that hear and learn from him those that believe him and his word

Conditions

and you are in denial here again

fltom said:
but giving to jesus those that believe in him (God)

Theo
You already refuted that with your John 8:47 citation.

You better read that again

John 8:43–48 (KJV 1900) — 43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. 44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. 45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not. 46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? 47 He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God. 48 Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil?

as you have failed to read accurately

By the way, what you quoted is one way of describing repentance, which is a gift from God.

2 Tim. 2:25,26 (EMTV)
25 in meekness instructing those that oppose, if God perhaps may give them repentance, to a full knowledge of the truth,
26 and they regain their senses and escape out of the snare of the devil, having been captured alive by him to do his will.

I likewise enjoy the irony around his choice of analogies.

And I'm sure you already know this, but what they constantly do is this...

They'll look at John 3:16 and see, "whoever believes in him", and then ASSUME that men naturally have "ability" to believe, even though it's never taught.

They'll look at John 6:44, which ONLY describes the actions of God, and then ASSUME that man has the "ability" not only "to come" of their own accord, but also to choose "not to come", despite the drawing of God.

They ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS assume and project "natural ability and will" onto EVERY Scripture, to preserve their false teaching of "free will".

I like this one better. No man can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him and I will raise him up on the day.

There is no conditional in this sentence as much as you wish to insert it.
Of course there is a conditional, the word "unless"
An so the positive statement based on what you write is: a man can come once the Father...draws him and I will raise him up on the last day

You mean cherry pick the one most favorable to ypur positon?

You will have to ask
You have isolated John 6:44.

John 6:40
For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

Above we see everyone who believes in the Son will have eternal life and be raised on the last day.

John 6:44
No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.

So above no one can come unless they are drawn

John 12:32
And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw everyone to Myself.”

And when Jesus Ascends to heaven post Resurrection is when all men/everyone will be drawn.

So John 12:32 is the fulfillment of John 6:44. No one was drawn until Jesus Ascended which began at Pentecost and Jesus promise and commandment of the Great Commission in Matthew 28:18-20. It began in Jerusalem and spread to the entire world.

hope this helps !!!

I likewise enjoy the irony around his choice of analogies.

And I'm sure you already know this, but what they constantly do is this...

They'll look at John 3:16 and see, "whoever believes in him", and then ASSUME that men naturally have "ability" to believe, even though it's never taught.

They'll look at John 6:44, which ONLY describes the actions of God, and then ASSUME that man has the "ability" not only "to come" of their own accord, but also to choose "not to come", despite the drawing of God.

They ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS assume and project "natural ability and will" onto EVERY Scripture, to preserve their false teaching of "free will".
Not assumption

but scripture you never address

Men needed to be hardened so they could not believe

John 12:40 —KJV
“He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.”

had men not hardened themselves they could have believed

Acts 28:27 —KJV
“For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.”

Christ spoke to men in parables to prevent belief

Matt. 13:10–14 —KJV
“And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:”

none of which make any sense with your theology

further were Faith irresistibly given the god of this world would not be able to blind nor could anything interfere

1cor 4:4 and the parable of the sower all make no sense in your theological view

therefore your view is false

No condition on the part of man.
All the actions are done by God.
They are in the next verse you left off

John 6:45 (KJV 1900) — 45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

One must hear and learn
God is not giving unconditionally selected men to Christ but those that are his

John 17:6 (KJV 1900) — 6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

John 17:9 (KJV 1900) — 9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

There is no unconditional election here

Those that believe the father will believe Christ and come to Christ

John 8:45–47 (KJV 1900) — 45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not. 46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? 47 He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

and his word wherever it came from

John 5:46 (KJV 1900) — 46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.

John 5:32–35 (KJV 1900) — 32 There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true. 33 Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth. 34 But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved. 35 He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.

John 5:39–40 (KJV 1900) — 39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

unbelief is the reason men do not come to Christ

not because they were not unconditionally selected

Back