The Value of Evangelism in Reform Theology

I agree with most of what he said.

1. I would never tell a person(I don't know) that God loves them. I don't know that to be true. I do not believe that God loves everyone.

2. I would never tell a person(I don't know) that Jesus died for them. I don't know that to be true. I do not believe that Jesus died for everyone.

3. Belief in the Gospel is how to determine if one is in Christ or not. Therefore, I believe the command to believe the Gospel is good, but not necessary, in proclaiming the Gospel. I also do not believe the law should be preached to scare people.

4. Only God knows who the elect and reprobate are, because He was the one who chose them before time. Therefore Christians should obey all NT commands or imperatives including the command to make disciples.

5. It is a needle in the haystack. When you consider that Noah and His family was a remnant, and then Elijah and the 7000. I don't doubt that at times the remnant has been very small. When you consider Matthew 7 is talking about people who claim to know Christ, the word used is "Many" in verse 22. So, many who claim to know Christ are deceived. This doesn't mean one should be discouraged when sharing the Gospel. God works in His own time and we are called to be faithful.
Then you have no gospel, you only have a potential message of good news and hope because it may or may not for the one hearing it. It also says that you are not really interested in the soul you are speaking with, because you don't know if they are Elect or not, but you are just doing what you are told to do. There is no deep, personal investment like Paul does for his fellow Israelites in Rom 9. If you cannot believe that I can certainly be saved, that God truly wants to save everyone you speak to, then you cannot honestly say you have good news to bring to their ears. It may or may not be that I can be saved!

Doug

Then you have no gospel, you only have a potential message of good news and hope because it may or may not for the one hearing it. It also says that you are not really interested in the soul you are speaking with, because you don't know if they are Elect or not, but you are just doing what you are told to do. There is no deep, personal investment like Paul does for his fellow Israelites in Rom 9. If you cannot believe that I can certainly be saved, that God truly wants to save everyone you speak to, then you cannot honestly say you have good news to bring to their ears. It may or may not be that I can be saved!

Doug
Yes there is no gospel in that theology , it’s just an illusion .

Doug
I didn't say any of this.

I don't believe that the gospel is good news for everyone, but only those in Christ. Many people hate to hear that it's by grace alone. Many people hate to hear that God saved a particular people on the cross.That Christ accomplished all the work necessary for salvation.

The Gospel is good news to those it was intended for. Maybe you don't believe the Gospel?

You believe a false gospel. The God you believe in is weak. He has no control over His creation. He desires things He can't accomplish. Her loves people but sends them to hell anyways.
Straw man argument! The gospel is nothing more than Christ died for sinners and whoever believes will be saved and receive eternal life in the Kingdom of God!

That Christ died for sinners means God loves sinners; whoever believes will be saved means that anyone who believes, placing trust in Christ, and perseveres in that belief and trust, will be saved and receive eternal life in the Kingdom of God.

Doug

Matthew 22:14 (KJV 1900) — 14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

John 3:16 (KJV 1900) — 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

1 Timothy 2:3–4 (KJV 1900) — 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

The bible contradicts you Theo.
When our relatives die as unbelievers, how are they saved?

Straw man argument! The gospel is nothing more than Christ died for sinners and whoever believes will be saved and receive eternal life in the Kingdom of God!

That Christ died for sinners means God loves sinners; whoever believes will be saved means that anyone who believes, placing trust in Christ, and perseveres in that belief and trust, will be saved and receive eternal life in the Kingdom of God.

Doug
No, that is not the Gospel. That's a conditional Gospel.

Faith is granted by the word

Romans 10:17 (KJV 1900) — 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Faith is not a gift irresistibly given to some and with-held from others
That leaves out all the deaf who were told the word of God but never had faith. Hearing is a gift of God.

Proverbs 20
12 The hearing ear, and the seeing eye, the LORD hath made even both of them.

In your mind is everyone on earth saved because someone told them to believe or read the Bible verses to them?

Doug
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
—Romans 1:16

The joyous good news of salvation in Jesus Christ and Him alone.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
—Romans 1:16

So it's NOT for everyone, it's only for believers "everyone WHO BELIEVES".
I'm guessing you think everyone has some natural "ability" to "choose" to believe.
Too bad that's not Biblical.

Doug
You have no clue what's in the mind of each Calvinist. I tried and tried to tell my my deceased loved ones to believe in Jesus for salvation.

I didn't say any of this.

I don't believe that the gospel is good news for everyone, but only those in Christ. Many people hate to hear that it's by grace alone. Many people hate to hear that God saved a particular people on the cross.That Christ accomplished all the work necessary for salvation.

The Gospel is good news to those it was intended for. Maybe you don't believe the Gospel?
And neither of my parents would believe that Jesus was capable of providing salvation for anyone. My father was an atheist. My mother was a deist who didn't read or believe the Bible. My maternal grandmother believed that if you weren't born into a Jewish family, you were a Christian.

And that no one can come to Jesus unless God the Father Efficaciously Works in their Life?

You do still have your hand on John 6:44; right?
I'm not into the belief that God is the sole active agent in salvation. Or that only saving grace given to the elect to regenerate them and to give them new birth is irresistible and effectual. Thats to much like coercion to me. The dragging, kicking and screaming scenario. The Holy Spirit does not overwhelm and force the person to repent and believe; rather, the Holy Spirit transforms the person’s heart so that they want to repent and believe. They choose to believe and that decision to believe is the most important choice we ever make. It shapes all our other decisions. God does not compel us to believe any more than He compels us to keep any commandments, despite His perfect desire to have us come to Him.

“This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them.” -John‬ ‭6:65‬

Jesus could have clarified His meaning by saying, “This is why I told you no one can come to me unless the Father drags or makes him.” Jesus had the choice of many Greek words that could have clearly indicated that intention, but Jesus said “didomi” which is typically understood as “to grant, permit or enable.” Calvinists often use the term “enable” or “grant” as if it somehow connotes “effectual causation,” but that is simply a systematic presumption they are reading onto these terms. I can enable you to call me by giving you my phone number, but you still have to pick up the phone and dial. Since when does “to enable” necessitate “to effectually cause?”

SOTERIOLOGY 101

Back