Why did Judas eat the bread?

eternomade

This narrative in in John 13 reminds me of Job.

"And the Lord said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord." Job 1:12 KJV

"When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me. Then the disciples looked one on another, doubting of whom he spake. Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved. Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask who it should be of whom he spake. He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it? Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon. And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly. Now no man at the table knew for what intent he spake this unto him. For some of them thought, because Judas had the bag, that Jesus had said unto him, Buy those things that we have need of against the feast; or, that he should give something to the poor. He then having received the sop went immediately out: and it was night."
John 13:21‭-‬30 KJV

It seems that Satan cannot do anything outside of God's sovereignty. I have 1 question and some comments.

Why did Judas eat the bread.

Could Judas have refused the bread?

I believe Judas ate the bread because God purposed/determined and caused him to eat the bread to fulfill prophecy.

I do not believe Judas could have refused the bread. Judas was born to do this. I do believe God is glorified in this because God is glorified in both predestination and reprobation.

It seems that Satan cannot do anything outside of God's sovereignty. I have 1 question and some comments.

God's meticulous determination?

Not without thwarthing God's meticulous determination.

I believe Judas ate the bread because God purposed/determined and caused him to eat the bread to fulfill prophecy.
In keeping with God's meticulous determination.

I do not believe Judas could have refused the bread. Judas was born to do this. I do believe God is glorified in this because God is glorified in both predestination and reprobation.
If Calvinism is true, then Judas could do no other than what God had meticulously determined him to do; as a reward for total submission to God's will, Judas was lost since Jesus did not die for him.

"And the Lord said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord." Job 1:12 KJV

"When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me. Then the disciples looked one on another, doubting of whom he spake. Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved. Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask who it should be of whom he spake. He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it? Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon. And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly. Now no man at the table knew for what intent he spake this unto him. For some of them thought, because Judas had the bag, that Jesus had said unto him, Buy those things that we have need of against the feast; or, that he should give something to the poor. He then having received the sop went immediately out: and it was night."

Judas did what was prophesied he would do. Why others scoff at that is proof they trust themselves and their free will decision making skills more than they do God. Plus, if Judas does not do what was prophesied he would do, it would make that a false prophecy and we can no longer trust God’s word, the Bible. But because we know His word is truth, we can take it to the bank that every prophecy will come to fruition.

I would say that Judas had a history of libertarian moral choices shaping his life like for everyone, so it may have been easy for Satan to tempt him or at least at this point just steer him at what to do. I believe Judas was non-meticulously destined but had ultimate libertarian choice. That the two can go together is just the miracle of God.

Back