Baked Macaroni and Cheese

1 pkg. (8 oz.) elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
8 oz. Cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Cook macaroni as the package label directs; drain.

2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan; remove from heat. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk. Bring to boiling, stirring. Reduce heat, and simmer mixture 1 minute. Remove from heat.

3. Stir in 1½ cups cheese and the macaroni. Pour into a 1½-quart casserole, and sprinkle remaining cheese over top.

4. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until cheese is golden-brown. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

McCall’s Nov. 1966, p. 126

(An old American favorite before the hot pepper immigration.)

Blueberry Sally Lunn (the magazine called it a Sally Lunn, but I don't think that's accurate)

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup soft butter
½ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 cup blueberries, washed and drained
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease an 8-by-8-by-2-inch pan. Sift flour, baking powder, salt. In large bowl of electric mixer, combine butter, granulated sugar, eggs; beat at high speed until fluffy.

2. At low speed, add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Fold in blueberries. Turn into prepared pan; sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.

3. Bake 35 minutes. Serve warm. Serves 9.
McCall’s, Nov. 1966, p. 127

I made this in 1971 with blueberries that I raked in New Hampshire. You don't pick those berries because they aren't high bush. You use scoops that have a handle and prongs

NEW ENGLAND FAVORITES from my Mother-in-law

Boiled Dinner

Ham
Potatoes (whole)
Carrots (whole)
Turnip (actually rutabaga), sliced ½ inch thick
Small onions
Cabbage, quartered and cored

Tomato Bisque (I doubt if anyone makes this these days)

Heat milk and butter. Heat canned tomatoes separately. Add small amount of baking soda. Combine just before serving.

Milk Toast (for 2)
10 regular sized biscuits, baked and cooled. Heat milk and butter. Mix flour, cornstarch with water and add. Sauce should be fairly thick (heat in top of double boiler until it thickens). Add biscuits.

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

1 pkg. (8 oz.) elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
8 oz. Cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups)

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Cook macaroni as the package label directs; drain.

2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan; remove from heat. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk. Bring to boiling, stirring. Reduce heat, and simmer mixture 1 minute. Remove from heat.

3. Stir in 1½ cups cheese and the macaroni. Pour into a 1½-quart casserole, and sprinkle remaining cheese over top.

4. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until cheese is golden-brown. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

McCall’s Nov. 1966, p. 126

(An old American favorite before the hot pepper immigration.)
I love mac and cheese but rarely have it.

sou
Blueberry Sally Lunn (the magazine called it a Sally Lunn, but I don't think that's accurate)

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup soft butter
½ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 cup blueberries, washed and drained
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease an 8-by-8-by-2-inch pan. Sift flour, baking powder, salt. In large bowl of electric mixer, combine butter, granulated sugar, eggs; beat at high speed until fluffy.

2. At low speed, add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Fold in blueberries. Turn into prepared pan; sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.

3. Bake 35 minutes. Serve warm. Serves 9.
McCall’s, Nov. 1966, p. 127

I made this in 1971 with blueberries that I raked in New Hampshire. You don't pick those berries because they aren't high bush. You use scoops that have a handle and prongs
sounds yummy. That would have been fun.

NEW ENGLAND FAVORITES from my Mother-in-law

Boiled Dinner

Ham
Potatoes (whole)
Carrots (whole)
Turnip (actually rutabaga), sliced ½ inch thick
Small onions
Cabbage, quartered and cored

Tomato Bisque (I doubt if anyone makes this these days)

Heat milk and butter. Heat canned tomatoes separately. Add small amount of baking soda. Combine just before serving.

Milk Toast (for 2)
10 regular sized biscuits, baked and cooled. Heat milk and butter. Mix flour, cornstarch with water and add. Sauce should be fairly thick (heat in top of double boiler until it thickens). Add biscuits.
Is the bisque a form of soup? Milk toast reminds of bread and butter pudding. I am sure that would be tasty.

I enjoy pumpkin pie and I made a cake from a book my son and his wife brought back from the states for me. It was from loveless cafe in Texas I think. It was yummy we cut the sugar down by half and then I left the sugar out of one part of the recipe but it was sweet enough for us.

Back