I chose vanilla ice cream last night

Simpletruther

The strange thing is, as much as I like vanilla, it wasn't really turning me on. I was actually craving strawberry instead.

There were no other compelling reasons to choose vanilla, it wasn't cheaper, more healthy etc etc. Yet I chose it.

Ok that never happened, it was a parable. ?
Yet it highlights and hits at the heart of the absurdity of libertarian free will theology.

Basic logic, and more importantly scripture, says we choose based upon desire.

Can you describe this event to me?

For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. (Rom. 7:15 NKJ)

Let's just be honest guys.

If I don't want to believe I actually have a real choice in anything, no one in heaven or earth can convince me otherwise.

But we call that abdicating responsibility.

For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. (Rom. 7:15 NKJ)

Let's just be honest guys.

If I don't want to believe I actually have a real choice in anything, no one in heaven or earth can convince me otherwise.

But we call that abdicating responsibility.
This passage doesn't help your case at all.

Paul's point wasn't that he didn't desire sin, yet did it anyway. That would contradict other plain passages.

He is simply pointing out the struggle with the flesh that desires to sin. Do you agree so far with my comment?

Also I never claimed you don't have a real choice.

This passage doesn't help your case at all.

Paul's point wasn't that he didn't desire sin, yet did it anyway. That would contradict other plain passages.

He is simply pointing out the struggle with the flesh that desires to sin. Do you agree so far with my comment?

Also I never claimed you don't have a real choice.
@Dizerner

The strange thing is, as much as I like vanilla, it wasn't really turning me on. I was actually craving strawberry instead.

There were no other compelling reasons to choose vanilla, it wasn't cheaper, more healthy etc etc. Yet I chose it.

Yet it highlights and hits at the heart of the absurdity of libertarian free will theology.

So your evidence of absurdity is a fictional tale of your own creation based on a presupposition that you are trying to thereby prove? I'm shaking in my boots...

Doug

Maybe I went with vanilla because my wife wanted to share the ice cream cone with me and she's allergic to strawberry! My personal desire is precluded by the need of my wife.

Doug

Back