Why the Anomaly?

Mormonism:

One must do something for salvation and grace
We must do something to access grace. Salvation is the blessing one receives through that grace.

For sure we all must do something or else everyone would be saved, right? The question is, what must we do?
2 Nephi 25:23
“For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.”
That is what we must do. It is all we can do. Be reconciled to God. Can anyone expect to be saved if they reject God or his teachings?

Continue to argue against the Bible and all your other scriptures. Not even Mormons will commend you for that without being party to deception.
The free gift came upon everyone who is subject to death. It seems to be a problem about how one determines what the free gift is.

But consider this, if it is free according to your definition then why is it that a lot of people won't get this gift? Very strange. Is there a lottery for it?

“What do Latter-day Saints believe about grace? We believe that God’s grace is what ultimately saves us; yet it does not save us without our doing all that we can to live God’s commandments and follow Jesus Christ’s teachings. We do not believe salvation comes by simply confessing belief in Christ as our Savior. Faith, works, ordinances, and grace are all necessary” (Ensign, March 2013, p. 21).
"yet it does not save us without our doing all that we can to live God’s commandments and follow Jesus Christ’s teachings."...which is works, right?

For sure we all must do something or else everyone would be saved, right? The question is, what must we do?
More works being preached to access salvation.

In reality it works like this....everyone is condemned. Everyone. No exceptions.
From the everyone God chooses whom He wants to grant mercy and grace to...who He wants to regenerate.
Then from those made alive in Christ...He give you something to do.

Your "works" are a result of salvation and not a means of obtaining it.

More works being preached to access salvation.
Works are required to access grace. Grace is needed to be saved. Eph 2:8 "... by grace we are saved...", Right? What does it say about accessing grace?
In reality it works like this....everyone is condemned.
Before the atonement, that was true. But now we have a Savior.
Everyone. No exceptions.
Definitely true, before the atonement.
From the everyone God chooses whom He wants to grant mercy and grace to.
Right. He has told us how to access that mercy.
who He wants to regenerate
I'm not sure how that applies. Are u arguing according to his whim? The question should then be, who does he want to save?
Then from those made alive in Christ...He give you something to do
Yeah. Sure. What if you don't do it?

But your reality is empty, at least it is from this explanation... We still don't know who God wants to save.
Your "works" are a result of salvation and not a means of obtaining it
Not according to Jesus. He taught that those whose deeds were good would be resurrected to life. No mention is made about faith or anything else. Just works.

He told the rich man that if he would have eternal life, keep the commandments. That appears to be the means of obtaining eternal life. Was God lying to the rich man?

So, here we have two references to works being the means to salvation and life.

Look, if u want to do "something" after you are "saved", I'm sure that will be beneficial to you. But if you don't keep the commandments there is no way to eternal life because you reject the commandments after having them crucifies Christ anew.

Works are required to access grace. Grace is needed to be saved. Eph 2:8 "... by grace we are saved...", Right? What does it say about accessing grace?
WOW!!!...you actually used Eph2:8? Did you ever read verse 9??? not by works, so that no one can boast.

You pretty much handed me that check mate.

Before the atonement, that was true. But now we have a Savior.

Definitely true, before the atonement.

Right. He has told us how to access that mercy.

I'm not sure how that applies. Are u arguing according to his whim? The question should then be, who does he want to save?

Yeah. Sure. What if you don't do it?

But your reality is empty, at least it is from this explanation... We still don't know who God wants to save.

Not according to Jesus. He taught that those whose deeds were good would be resurrected to life. No mention is made about faith or anything else. Just works.

He told the rich man that if he would have eternal life, keep the commandments. That appears to be the means of obtaining eternal life. Was God lying to the rich man?

So, here we have two references to works being the means to salvation and life.

Look, if u want to do "something" after you are "saved", I'm sure that will be beneficial to you. But if you don't keep the commandments there is no way to eternal life because you reject the commandments after having them crucifies Christ anew.
In a little while, you’re going to break a commandment by thinking an angry or insulting thought about someone. And then you’re going to do it again at some point after that.

According to your own beliefs, you have no shot at eternal life because of that. How sad.

We do not believe salvation comes by simply confessing belief in Christ as our Savior. First of all there ARE hypocrites everywhere. People lie. However, those who have the indwelling of God's Spirit (I'm not talking about the Pentecostal idea that you will utter strange sounds after going forward), but when God chooses to give you a new birth and plans to complete that work) you will confess Christ and the faith God has given you. Without Christ who first loved us we can't love Him. With Christ we can love Him and others. Our works are not the means of our salvation. They are the result of the work God began in us. His mercy changes our hearts. We can love people who criticize our posts and slander us, and use ad hominems and make snide remarks.. It's not about us. We have a future in heaven, not a place in a telestial kingdom without Christ.

We are confident that
he who begins a good work in us will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

God has a plan as stated below:

"Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ."
1 Corinthians 1:8

His sheep don't know the voices of strangers and when we've met our Shepherd, we don't desire strange teachings.

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."
Romans 8:28

Last edited:
Mormonism:

One must do something for salvation and grace:

2 Nephi 25:23
“For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.”

D&C 130:20-21
20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated---
21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

Articles of Faith

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

Continue to argue against the Bible and all your other scriptures. Not even Mormons will commend you for that without being party to deception.

I believe you are confusing God's grace unto eternal life, as a personal reception--with His Atonement. The LDS believe His Atonement was and is a free gift to all men--no obedience nor faith required. Christ alone. Jesus absolved all men of the condemnation brought to all men due to the Fall--in His Atonement. All men are now "justified of life", as a free gift--IOW--all men now have the opportunity to inherit eternal life--because they are now freed from the condemnation of the Fall--which befell all men.

Free gift to all men. Christ alone. Not your faith plus Jesus' Blood. It had to be a perfect sacrifice, and if one added their faith to it--it would then be an imperfect sacrifice.

Could you explain for us why the critics here believe one must do something for that free gift?

Romans 5:18---King James Version
18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

So--where do that leave your accusation of the LDS believing all blessings required obedience of them?

Why? It says works...
We do not believe salvation comes by simply confessing belief in Christ as our Savior. Faith, works, ordinances, and grace are all necessary”
Great, then we are pretty much in agreement.... as long as works is not alone, for its by grace of God we can reach out destinations of life with God. Works won't save anyone, but obedience and compliance with all of Gods laws will no doubt put us in his good graces... and we also teach compliance and obedience is essential...

No it won't.
So keeping the commandments is not good? When you begin to understand Grace, you will begin to understand how you can be perfected.

2 Corinthians 12:9
9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

I believe you are confusing God's grace unto eternal life, as a personal reception--with His Atonement. The LDS believe His Atonement was and is a free gift to all men--no obedience nor faith required. Christ alone. Jesus absolved all men of the condemnation brought to all men due to the Fall--in His Atonement. All men are now "justified of life", as a free gift--IOW--all men now have the opportunity to inherit eternal life--because they are now freed from the condemnation of the Fall--which befell all men.

Free gift to all men. Christ alone. Not your faith plus Jesus' Blood. It had to be a perfect sacrifice, and if one added their faith to it--it would then be an imperfect sacrifice.

Could you explain for us why the critics here believe one must do something for that free gift?

Romans 5:18---King James Version
18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

So--where do that leave your accusation of the LDS believing all blessings required obedience of them?
I am not confusing ANYTHING. I know the false teachings of Mormonism as well as the truth of Romans 5.

YOU, dberrie said in YOUR confusion:
"Free gift to all men. Christ alone. Not your faith plus Jesus' Blood. It had to be a perfect sacrifice, and if one added their faith to it--it would then be an imperfect sacrifice."

The gift of God is eternal life. Faith is required yet you can't earn faith so God gives faith to the sheep. Thus eternal life is ENTIRELY a gift of God. No matter what you do or say, the sacrifice of our Savior IS PERFECT! Your sins can't make God's perfect gift imperfect.

Romans Chapter 5 is about eternal life. You refuse to believe or are incapable of believing it. Without the Spirit of Christ men can't understand spiritual things; they are still carnal. I explained Romans 5 to you. You dismissed it because you want to isolate verse 18 from the rest of the chapter. You want to believe that verse 5:18 is only pointing to resurrection because Mormons have convinced you that eternal life is NOT a gift of God; Mormonism claims it has to be earned by obedience to the laws and ordinances of Mormonism. I've spent hours explaining the truth and showing you what your leaders have said. You still choose Mormonism over God's word: the BIBLE.

I'm glad lurkers can come here and see the difference.

So keeping the commandments is not good? When you begin to understand Grace, you will begin to understand how you can be perfected.
Now you're jumping to your silly conclusions...as if I'm saying keeping commandments is a bad thing.

The gift of God is eternal life. Faith is required yet you can't earn faith so God gives faith to the sheep. Thus eternal life is ENTIRELY a gift of God. No matter what you do or say, the sacrifice of our Savior IS PERFECT! Your sins can't make God's perfect gift imperfect.
It's amazing how many think God needs their help.

Back