On WoF Boxes and errant doctrine

tbeachhead

I have never believed that WoF is a denomination, any more than it is an exclusive movement bereft of historical or theological roots. As I've said here many times, WoF is a paradigm for systematic hermeneutics that actually permits the WoF believer to thrive in any denomination, and effectively fill the gaps left by others as they move and grow.

Since 1982, I have participated in and been a part of the ministry in at least three dozen churches, in times ranging from days to weeks to a maximum of seventeen years, of which only one claimed any link to Rhema, and in that one I had the most negligible relationship with its leadership even though I was the titular "head of children's ministry." (I was made head, and for eight years provided ministry to the children's service without ever once meeting with the pastor.) I have never gone into a church to correct the doctrine thereof. I've gone in to find the gap, stand in the gap and say "What gap? There is no gap here." In any building, my goal was to relate what scripture says and to elicit faith in the promise. As I see it, the Holy Spirit does the rest.

With that in mind, I will also state freely that the least qualified pastor, because he knew scripture the least, was also the Rhema grad. Over the years I have found errant doctrine in every building. I firmly believe that doctrine can be as errant as the roots of a tree. A seed can be planted in different fields, and the roots will err to where the richest nutrients are found. Trees can differ in size, growth, girth. But the fruit will be the same. It was not because one church focused on a single facet of scripture that it was not part of the plan. And no tree is ever expected to lash its fruit forever to its own branches. Fruit is borne to bear seed elsewhere.

And here is the point: When Paul arrived in Ephesus, the first thing he asked the "disciples", the believers he encountered, was whether or not they had received the Holy Spirit when they first believed. They had not even heard of the Holy Spirit...because they had been brought to faith by Apollos, who had never heard either until he was taken aside by Priscilla and Aquila...who had worked with Paul in Corinth and seen the fullness in operation for three years before coming to Ephesus. So were these believers "WoF"? "Charismatic"? What box do they fit in?

They are called disciples. That sufficed for Luke who imposed the label. And they became "Charismatic" as their instruction was completed by Paul. They heard the Word of God, and faith came as Paul says it will. When did they become disciples? When they first believed. When did they become believers? Same...

When did they become "Charismatic?" They would not have believed in the first place unless the Spirit had called them. They didn't have to admit to a thing...charismatic...WoF...didn't matter. The seed was sown, watered and produced. I have always wondered why divisions are so necessary. I've been instructed by the doctrines of believers, even if details in their own system were lacking. Enforced, artificially and arbitrarily defined divisions are not the final goal of the Spirit...ever.

I have never believed that WoF is a denomination, any more than it is an exclusive movement bereft of historical or theological roots. As I've said here many times, WoF is a paradigm for systematic hermeneutics that actually permits the WoF believer to thrive in any denomination, and effectively fill the gaps left by others as they move and grow.
Then you have redefined what the originators of Word of Faith were preaching. The key is when you say "As I've said here many times, WoF is a paradigm for systematic hermeneutics..." You see, nobody -- and I mean NOBODY -- who is well known to be Word of Faith has EVER said that this is what Word of Faith means. EVER.

Since 1982, I have participated in and been a part of the ministry in at least three dozen churches, in times ranging from days to weeks to a maximum of seventeen years, of which only one claimed any link to Rhema, and in that one I had the most negligible relationship with its leadership even though I was the titular "head of children's ministry." (I was made head, and for eight years provided ministry to the children's service without ever once meeting with the pastor.) I have never gone into a church to correct the doctrine thereof. I've gone in to find the gap, stand in the gap and say "What gap? There is no gap here." In any building, my goal was to relate what scripture says and to elicit faith in the promise. As I see it, the Holy Spirit does the rest.
And it would be just as easy for me to start a church, call it Assembly of God and outlaw speaking in tongues, laying on of hands, and any church hierarchy. If I do that, I can call my church AoG all I want ... but it isn't. It's just me redefining a title.

With that in mind, I will also state freely that the least qualified pastor, because he knew scripture the least, was also the Rhema grad. Over the years I have found errant doctrine in every building. I firmly believe that doctrine can be as errant as the roots of a tree. A seed can be planted in different fields, and the roots will err to where the richest nutrients are found. Trees can differ in size, growth, girth. But the fruit will be the same. It was not because one church focused on a single facet of scripture that it was not part of the plan. And no tree is ever expected to lash its fruit forever to its own branches. Fruit is borne to bear seed elsewhere.
Flowery words meeting your constructs.

And here is the point:
Oh joy!! (Sorry, I can't help myself.)

When Paul arrived in Ephesus, the first thing he asked the "disciples", the believers he encountered, was whether or not they had received the Holy Spirit when they first believed.
Which AoG does as well, being charismatic and not WoF. Being filled by the Holy Spirit is important there, and it is a separate step from salvation.

They had not even heard of the Holy Spirit...because they had been brought to faith by Apollos, who had never heard either until he was taken aside by Priscilla and Aquila...who had worked with Paul in Corinth and seen the fullness in operation for three years before coming to Ephesus. So were these believers "WoF"? "Charismatic"? What box do they fit in?
Interesting.

Acts 18:24-28
24 Now a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, arrived in Ephesus. He was an eloquent speaker, well-versed in the scriptures. 25 He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and with great enthusiasm he spoke and taught accurately the facts about Jesus, although he knew only the baptism of John. 26 He began to speak out fearlessly in the synagogue, but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained the way of God to him more accurately. 27 When Apollos wanted to cross over to Achaia, the brothers encouraged him and wrote to the disciples to welcome him. When he arrived, he assisted greatly those who had believed by grace, 28 for he refuted the Jews vigorously in public debate, demonstrating from the scriptures that the Christ was Jesus.​

So here is the only interaction written between Apollos, Priscilla and Aquila. I read that (v25) [Apollos] had been instructed in the way of the Lord....and taught accurately the facts about Jesus. Then (v26) ...Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained the way of God to him more accurately."

Awesome!

Nowhere is the Holy Spirit mentioned. You added that. Even the Amplified expounds by saying "[and the full story of the life of Christ]. But no Holy Spirit.

The believers were ... believers. Neither charismatic nor Word of Faith existed at that time, regardless of the extended amplification you'd like to give these words. And there is no reason to think that Apollos didn't know about the Holy Spirit, since (my thoughts) he was "well-versed in scriptures" and "had been instructed in the way of the Lord." Well, the Lord told the disciples to wait upon the Holy Spirit. Guess they left that out when teaching Apollos. He, being well-versed in scriptures must have skipped that entire Pentecost experience. I mean that one wasn't very fantastic, was it? It wasn't like Peter spoke and everyone from different lands understood him in their own language. Something like that would have been worth writing into scripture for Apollos to learn. Don't you think?

They are called disciples. That sufficed for Luke who imposed the label. And they became "Charismatic" as their instruction was completed by Paul. They heard the Word of God, and faith came as Paul says it will. When did they become disciples? When they first believed. When did they become believers? Same...

When did they become "Charismatic?" They would not have believed in the first place unless the Spirit had called them. They didn't have to admit to a thing...charismatic...WoF...didn't matter.
Does matter. Those terms didn't exist for labelling purposes. The word we get "charismatic" from is a Greek word translated to "gifts." Nobody was called the "gifts movement." Nobody was labelled by this term.

The seed was sown, watered and produced. I have always wondered why divisions are so necessary.
They are actually looked down on in the bible.

I've been instructed by the doctrines of believers, even if details in their own system were lacking. Enforced, artificially and arbitrarily defined divisions are not the final goal of the Spirit...ever.
Well, ok, this much is true. So I don't know why it is so important to you to hijack terms and apply them where they have never been applied before. Whoa! Sounds like Star Trek!!

Then you have redefined what the originators of Word of Faith were preaching.
Really?

Which "originator" ever claimed to be the "originator" first of all? Second which of these ever said "WoF is a denomination," or "WoF is an exclusive movement bereft of historical or theological roots"? I've changed nothing. You insist on changing history itself.

Cults, like JW's or Mormons, change Christianity and create an other, disavowing church history in the process, and disparaging root and branch. WoF has never done that, although it gets regularly beaten by the branches.

The key is when you say "As I've said here many times, WoF is a paradigm for systematic hermeneutics..." You see, nobody -- and I mean NOBODY -- who is well known to be Word of Faith has EVER said that this is what Word of Faith means. EVER.
Gee...really? NOBODY? as in NOBODY? Folks who have not distilled the doctrines to straw have patiently tried to explain this to the folks here for twenty years. Their patience wore thin and they moved on. No former poster, NOT ONE, who held the paradigm ever EVER said otherwise. There's a list of great memories and delightful intellects: JFeee, Jehu, VW, Bobo come to mind, and I've missed many. When I go to the critic sites, you're right...most grasp stupid things that were said on TBN and run with them as if they were essential WoF tenets. Not even JDS or BAJ are universally agreed on and monophonically explained. Have you read Kenyon? His books are an exercise in applied hermeneutics. You only need to allow Kenyon to speak for himself to understand the system he uses.
And it would be just as easy for me to start a church, call it Assembly of God and outlaw speaking in tongues, laying on of hands, and any church hierarchy. If I do that, I can call my church AoG all I want ... but it isn't. It's just me redefining a title.
Funny.

Have you been to an AoG church lately? It doesn't sound like it. How about a Foursquare church? It's been well over thirty years since I've heard anyone speak in tongues. When I came back to this country in 1987, I learned quickly that there is a protocol to any form of "prophetic" (i.e. impromptu and unscripted) utterance. It is often planned, and approved beforehand, but if it is spontaneous, pastoral permission must be sought before the pastor (often reluctantly) relinquishes the mic. The buildings are still labeled AoG and Foursquare. I'm still Chaplain to a group of Royal Rangers. But if MacArthur tried to take up his pen to bring down today's AoG church, his book would sell five copies to his family, and he'd be on the same level financially as most Christians today.

Flowery words meeting your constructs.
I'm just trying to illustrate what I understand and why.

Oh joy!! (Sorry, I can't help myself.)
I've noticed.

Which AoG does as well, being charismatic and not WoF. Being filled by the Holy Spirit is important there, and it is a separate step from salvation.
What's your point? BTW, you really haven't been to many AoG churches lately. The emphasis is long gone. Gone are the distinctions between a typical AoG church and a Conservative Baptist church.

Interesting.

Acts 18:24-28
24 Now a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, arrived in Ephesus. He was an eloquent speaker, well-versed in the scriptures. 25 He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and with great enthusiasm he spoke and taught accurately the facts about Jesus, although he knew only the baptism of John. 26 He began to speak out fearlessly in the synagogue, but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained the way of God to him more accurately. 27 When Apollos wanted to cross over to Achaia, the brothers encouraged him and wrote to the disciples to welcome him. When he arrived, he assisted greatly those who had believed by grace, 28 for he refuted the Jews vigorously in public debate, demonstrating from the scriptures that the Christ was Jesus.​

So here is the only interaction written between Apollos, Priscilla and Aquila. I read that (v25) [Apollos] had been instructed in the way of the Lord....and taught accurately the facts about Jesus. Then (v26) ...Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained the way of God to him more accurately."

Awesome!

Nowhere is the Holy Spirit mentioned. You added that. Even the Amplified expounds by saying "[and the full story of the life of Christ]. But no Holy Spirit.
That's because you truncate the pertinent half verse: "...although he knew only the Baptism of John."

If you ignore that, you miss half of the book of Acts: What's the distinction Luke makes consistently between the baptism of Jesus and the baptism of John? John explains it in Luke's gospel: "I baptize you with water, but He...will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire." The Holy Spirit is in Luke's well-established language and style. And so, Priscilla and Aquilla take him aside, and "explained the way of God more accurately...", they add what he's missing, and send him off to Achaia, to Corinth where he can see a Charismatic church for himself. That's why these references must not be missed. If you don't know geography, you forget that Corinth is the capital city of Achaia, the province where the three, Paul, Priscilla and Aquila watched the birth of a soon-to-be renowned Charismatic church.

So then, Paul conveys the baptism of Jesus, and they speak in tongues immediately. And Ephesus becomes the center of miraculous outreach for years, with the first hanky ministry reaches all of Asia.

And it's really the only direct interaction between the three that we know of. We do know Apollos' influence on the Corinthians...where Paul, Priscilla and Aquila had labored already for three years before his arrival.

The believers were ... believers. Neither charismatic nor Word of Faith existed at that time, regardless of the extended amplification you'd like to give these words. And there is no reason to think that Apollos didn't know about the Holy Spirit, since (my thoughts) he was "well-versed in scriptures" and "had been instructed in the way of the Lord."
And he only knew the baptism of John.

But you make no point. Writers weren't making money off of labels at that time...well...they were different labels.

Clearly Nicolaitans were not well-liked by any who loved the Lord.

Well, the Lord told the disciples to wait upon the Holy Spirit. Guess they left that out when teaching Apollos.
Apollos was from Alexandria. Learn the history of the church. The Jesus Wars were often ignited by the pride of a degree from Alexandria. They had The Library. There was a pride associated with being of one of the greatest schools in the known universe...and he only knew the baptism of John.,

He, being well-versed in scriptures must have skipped that entire Pentecost experience. I mean that one wasn't very fantastic, was it?
The disciples he left in Ephesus did not get the "Pentecostal experience" because he did not know that part of the gospel. His expertise was in the scripture, and support for the Messiah. I'm guessing he missed the Joel connection Peter had made at Pentecost until Priscilla and Aquila made it for him. He had no problem wanting to check it out for himself, and he was very powerful in Corinth.

It wasn't like Peter spoke and everyone from different lands understood him in their own language. Something like that would have been worth writing into scripture for Apollos to learn. Don't you think?
I'm not getting your peevish snark here. Are you suggesting that Apollos had read Luke? Luke's still hanging with Paul. He wasn't with Apollos. I see no evidence that he met up with Luke yet...and clearly the disciples he left behind represent the fruit of his ministry.

Does matter. Those terms didn't exist for labelling purposes.
Nonsense. That's all you use them for. They're meaningless for you until you have set your definition on them, and chosen your ground to stand on.

The word we get "charismatic" from is a Greek word translated to "gifts." Nobody was called the "gifts movement." Nobody was labelled by this term.
For me, words mean things: They are believers when they believe. Disciples when they apply the discipline...and charismatic when the gifts are developed and employed.

They are actually looked down on in the bible.
Quite true. Why do you magnify them and insist on collating folks?
Well, ok, this much is true. So I don't know why it is so important to you to hijack terms and apply them where they have never been applied before. Whoa! Sounds like Star Trek!!
I don't "hijack terms". I use the English language in this forum, to the best of my ability, and words mean things.

Last edited:
Really?

Which "originator" ever claimed to be the "originator" first of all? Second which of these ever said "WoF is a denomination," or "WoF is an exclusive movement bereft of historical or theological roots"? I've changed nothing. You insist on changing history itself.
I'll take more time with the rest, but please tell me who was the first to negate "WoF is a denomination," or "WoF is an exclusive movement bereft of historical or theological roots"?

Hmm? How old is Word of Faith that it was not upheld or negated prior to the 1960's or 70's?

I'll take more time with the rest, but please tell me who was the first to negate "WoF is a denomination," or "WoF is an exclusive movement bereft of historical or theological roots"?

Hmm? How old is Word of Faith that it was not upheld or negated prior to the 1960's or 70's?
Seriously do not know what you're talking about. The methodology has been debated for centuries, and has deep roots...that precede the coining of the name and jets by two thousand years.

Since WoF is a paradigm for biblical interpretation that uses an inductive approach to exegesis, it claims its roots in the book of Acts. Volumes have been written, and VW was quite well-versed in the historicity of WoF theology.

Seriously do not know what you're talking about. The methodology has been debated for centuries, and has deep roots...that precede the coining of the name and jets by two thousand years.
Pete, we are talking about the coining of the name. My claim is you have absconded with the name and are applying it to things that are not WoF, including things that predate WoF.

Word of Faith is the name of a movement, no matter how you try to change the definition. The only reason it is not an organized denomination is because of a few narcissists who wanted to be the leader.

You can't redefine it for your own purposes. Especially while throwing out parts you don't like. But that's another subject for another bunny trail.

Since WoF is a paradigm for biblical interpretation that uses an inductive approach to exegesis,
No its a movement from the mid-20th century.

it claims its roots in the book of Acts.
So do the charismatic.

Volumes have been written,
Ditto about charismatic principles.

and VW was quite well-versed in the historicity of WoF theology.
VW is an Open Theist who decided to believe in a heretic definition of weak god, unless he's given up on the heresy. If you can't get God right, I have little hope in all else.

Pete, we are talking about the coining of the name. My claim is you have absconded with the name and are applying it to things that are not WoF, including things that predate WoF.
Like you're doing here?

You have defined WoF as deliberate triage of a limited number of rapidly aging televangelists. As your definition has no meaning but the utility of creating a universal ad hom to apply to that small group, there is nothing left to discuss.
Word of Faith is the name of a movement, no matter how you try to change the definition. The only reason it is not an organized denomination is because of a few narcissists who wanted to be the leader.
Fascinating claim...

Who wanted to be the "leader"? I never heard that Hagin did, and there was no war for succession or pre-eminence after Kenyon or Hagin died. In the heady heights of the Charismatic Movement, late seventies and early eighties, and with the advent of cassette tapes, the search was on for the best teaching tapes, that took the listener deeper into scripture itself. It was never about the personality. Copeland's teaching on licentiousness was one of the best I have ever heard in all may years. Hagin's were forgettable. We shared from the best. Word of faith as a movement is defined as those who adhere to word of faith doctrine. On every wiki website, the peculiar doctrines are discussed with scant reference, beyond Kenyon who is accredited with the inception, to the names involved. And the reference is usually followed by a lame effort to refute the doctrine without examining the scriptures involved.

WoF is always recognized by it's emphases and its particular doctrines that the traditional crowd bucks: BAJ, JDS. Prosperity. But those are catch phrases often used by critics to avoid any profound understanding that the study of scripture produces, when your exegesis uses the inductive approach. Most discussions on these topics ended with a peremptory tyfyt, when the critics had no scriptural response to the debate beyond Hinn's hair.

You can't redefine it for your own purposes.
I've learned that with you. But you can, and you alone...
Especially while throwing out parts you don't like. But that's another subject for another bunny trail.
Beyond JDS which is a meaningless claim, there aren't WoF essentials that I throw out. The claims of WoF are the product of biblical hermeneutics.

And here's the deal: When anyone preaches a doctrine on the tongue, and our responsibility, when someone brings up the promise of prosperity or Mark 11 and Mark 16, what are the labels that are instantly bandied about? What are the associations by which the critic will seek to attribute guilt?
No its a movement from the mid-20th century.
No...

But the label was coined in the mid-20th century. Kenyon did not discover something new. He expounded on something profoundly old...he never faulted an errant church, he taught the faith of the early church with fresh insights. By that, he connected with the history of revivals that impacted our history from the very beginning.

So do the charismatic.
Of course...Any biblical movement must first make that claim. And that's just another convenient label. He is charismatic where the gifts are recognized, appreciated and allowed to operate.

Ditto about charismatic principles.
Some good. Some execrable. Of course.
VW is an Open Theist who decided to believe in a heretic definition of weak god, unless he's given up on the heresy. If you can't get God right, I have little hope in all else.
This is a label I'm not familiar with. Troy was a poster who became a friend who held his own against the battering ram of the proud "triumvirate" of whom only the irascible Ted and YP remain...

You're more heavily arguing your particular beliefs now. We can agree or disagree on beliefs elsewhere. This was about what the term Word of Faith is and how old it is. It is not a term applied to the first century. Paul was not WoF. So I'm done here, but attribute the name of the movement to people who didn't even know it and I'll frustrate you some more.

This is a label I'm not familiar with.
You and I have talked about it in now deleted posts.

Troy was a poster who became a friend who held his own against the battering ram of the proud "triumvirate" of whom only the irascible Ted and YP remain...
I liked him somewhat on CARM. We then meet up on another forum -- I want to say it was Jesus Talk, or something like that -- it was there he told me he adopted Open Theism. This is a belief that God does not know, or chooses to not know by placing himself inside his created world, anything about the future. It takes his omniscience away. Prophecy then becomes not something that will happen by promise, but something that God will manipulate all reality to make come true, working around human will. It makes all things future in the power of man's will and not Divine will.

And I won't even get into his fallacy about OT Hebrew verbs all being passive. So God never did "bad things" he only allowed them. He got this from Jerry Savelle.

You're more heavily arguing your particular beliefs now. We can agree or disagree on beliefs elsewhere. This was about what the term Word of Faith is and how old it is. It is not a term applied to the first century. Paul was not WoF. So, I'm done here, but attribute the name of the movement to people who didn't even know it and I'll frustrate you some more.
We're arguing your limited and limiting beliefs.

You'll argue that the term "Word of Faith" is exclusive to the critics of Kenyon, and not drawn from Paul's claim. The term is over two thousand years old, and was not first used to describe a doctrine in the twentieth century.

And we have spent how many hours arguing over terminology and avoiding scripture altogether. That's scintillating.

Pentecostal...has a doctrine peculiar to itself, connected to Azusa street and reflecting a long history of Pentecostal behavior that dipped in and out of view from the days of Acts 2.

Charismatic...similar to the Pentecostals, has a doctrine peculiar to itself, connected to David Duplessis and the likes of Dennis Bennett, and reflecting a long history of Acts 2-like behavior that dipped in and out of view from the days of Acts 2.

Baptist...has a doctrine peculiar to itself connected loosely to the Anabaptists and reflecting a long history of evangelical behavior that dipped in and out of view from the days of the early church.

Holiness...has a doctrine peculiar to itself, connected to the "holy rollers" of Kansas in the late 19th century, and reflecting a long history of the doctrines of sanctification that dipped in and out of view from the days of Acts 2.

The peculiarity of each movement makes it easier to examine the doctrines that were brought to light, and to establish the unity of the Spirit in the bonds of peace with each.

You and I have talked about it in now deleted posts.
I know...I took the time to look it up the last time you pressed the charge, and I'm still not familiar. Troy has never been a label. He is a friend.

On this board, I have been labeled Latter Rain, Manifest Sons of God, WoF, besides heretic, heterodox, etc. Ted and you seem to be asserting that I cannot be WoF...I don't know how I should take it when you all insist on removing labels. Maybe you've started a new movement.

I'll call it the obfuscation movement...because there are major challenges that every Christian is facing or will soon face, and we find it more expedient to proffer labels and then remove them.
I liked him somewhat on CARM. We then meet up on another forum -- I want to say it was Jesus Talk, or something like that -- it was there he told me he adopted Open Theism. This is a belief that God does not know, or chooses to not know by placing himself inside his created world, anything about the future. It takes his omniscience away. Prophecy then becomes not something that will happen by promise, but something that God will manipulate all reality to make come true, working around human will. It makes all things future in the power of man's will and not Divine will.
OK...and thanks.

Jesus did not know all things in his sandals and beard. Now with the flaming fire eyes, I'm pretty sure he even knows what the seven thunders said. God the Father, on the other hand, sits above and looks down. He sees the beginning of the timeline as He sees the end. So...I need to get down to Delaware and ask Troy what he's talking about. It is written He "makes known the end from the beginning." That's all I need to understand, and that is the basis of my faith.

And I won't even get into his fallacy about OT Hebrew verbs all being passive. So God never did "bad things" he only allowed them. He got this from Jerry Savelle.
Yeah no. That's one of the weaknesses that erupt from a willingness to deny scripture (like the claims that stem from Job, of whom the Bible says he did not sin in his words). When Savelle etal make that claim, they are stepping away from scripture. If you're going to define WoF by the error of its adherents, you have to treat every stream the same, and make heretics of us all. There isn't yet a pure stream for wisdom and understanding.

We're arguing your limited and limiting beliefs.

You'll argue that the term "Word of Faith" is exclusive to the critics of Kenyon, and not drawn from Paul's claim. The term is over two thousand years old, and was not first used to describe a doctrine in the twentieth century.

And we have spent how many hours arguing over terminology and avoiding scripture altogether. That's scintillating.

Pentecostal...has a doctrine peculiar to itself, connected to Azusa street and reflecting a long history of Pentecostal behavior that dipped in and out of view from the days of Acts 2.

Charismatic...similar to the Pentecostals, has a doctrine peculiar to itself, connected to David Duplessis and the likes of Dennis Bennett, and reflecting a long history of Acts 2-like behavior that dipped in and out of view from the days of Acts 2.

Baptist...has a doctrine peculiar to itself connected loosely to the Anabaptists and reflecting a long history of evangelical behavior that dipped in and out of view from the days of the early church.

Holiness...has a doctrine peculiar to itself, connected to the "holy rollers" of Kansas in the late 19th century, and reflecting a long history of the doctrines of sanctification that dipped in and out of view from the days of Acts 2.

The peculiarity of each movement makes it easier to examine the doctrines that were brought to light, and to establish the unity of the Spirit in the bonds of peace with each.

I know...I took the time to look it up the last time you pressed the charge, and I'm still not familiar. Troy has never been a label. He is a friend.

On this board, I have been labeled Latter Rain, Manifest Sons of God, WoF, besides heretic, heterodox, etc. Ted and you seem to be asserting that I cannot be WoF...I don't know how I should take it when you all insist on removing labels. Maybe you've started a new movement.

I'll call it the obfuscation movement...because there are major challenges that every Christian is facing or will soon face, and we find it more expedient to proffer labels and then remove them.
OK...and thanks.

So...I need to get down to Delaware and ask Troy what he's talking about. It is written He "makes known the end from the beginning." That's all I need to understand, and that is the basis of my faith.
Or just read him, for Delaware is a long trip when he's in Rhode Island (unless he moved recently).

Yeah no. That's one of the weaknesses that erupt from a willingness to deny scripture (like the claims that stem from Job, of whom the Bible says he did not sin in his words). When Savelle etal make that claim, they are stepping away from scripture. If you're going to define WoF by the error of its adherents, you have to treat every stream the same, and make heretics of us all. There isn't yet a pure stream for wisdom and understanding.
We're talking VW here. You can read it here, or another three or four "books" he wrote. He's convinced he has to protect God, who I guess can't protect himself ?. I guess he didn't see it coming.?

----------------------------

DISCLAIMER: My links here are in NO WAY an encouragement or suggestion to buy these books. They are heresy. They teach Non-Christian and/or incorrect concepts.

Or just read him, for Delaware is a long trip when he's in Rhode Island (unless he moved recently).

We're talking VW here. You can read it here, or another three or four "books" he wrote. He's convinced he has to protect God, who I guess can't protect himself ?. I guess he didn't see it coming.?

DISCLAIMER: My links here are in NO WAY an encouragement or suggestion to buy these books. They are heresy. They teach Non-Christian and/or incorrect concepts.

If I have time, I'll get to these today...

If I have time, I'll get to these today...
All you need so is skim for the flavor....another word for heresy ?

It was many years ago he and I talked about this in the other forum. He could have changed, but I'd think he'd take these books down if he did.

Have you been to an AoG church lately? It doesn't sound like it. How about a Foursquare church? It's been well over thirty years since I've heard anyone speak in tongues. When I came back to this country in 1987, I learned quickly that there is a protocol to any form of "prophetic" (i.e. impromptu and unscripted) utterance. It is often planned, and approved beforehand, but if it is spontaneous, pastoral permission must be sought before the pastor (often reluctantly) relinquishes the mic.
And this is concerning and have seen this myself. Seems to me back in the 70's and 80's people would give spontaneous words. Now like they say many want you to go to the Pastor and tell them what you feel the Lord wants you to say....but with tongues and interpretation where in the world do they get the idea that you can deliver such a insight to the Pastor before you deliver it. The same dear hearts I've heard saying they're longing for the gifts to be in manifestation even taught about them but just can't really it seems be comfortable allowing people to step out. Most certainly if something isn't of edification you lovingly teach the people they meant well but here's where you went wrong and you teach the people on the proper. I almost feel the charismatic movement needs to be reborn.
What's your point? BTW, you really haven't been to many AoG churches lately. The emphasis is long gone. Gone are the distinctions between a typical AoG church and a Conservative Baptist church.
I agree and the ironic thing is the AoG type will still debate with the Baptist type on the theology of the Pentecostal experience. But if one is not going to practice it in real terms why bother?

And this is concerning and have seen this myself. Seems to me back in the 70's and 80's people would give spontaneous words. Now like they say many want you to go to the Pastor and tell them what you feel the Lord wants you to say....but with tongues and interpretation where in the world do they get the idea that you can deliver such a insight to the Pastor before you deliver it. The same dear hearts I've heard saying they're longing for the gifts to be in manifestation even taught about them but just can't really it seems be comfortable allowing people to step out. Most certainly if something isn't of edification you lovingly teach the people they meant well but here's where you went wrong and you teach the people on the proper. I almost feel the charismatic movement needs to be reborn.

I agree and the ironic thing is the AoG type will still debate with the Baptist type on the theology of the Pentecostal experience. But if one is not going to practice it in real terms why bother?
Rockson! It's great to see you. It's been a while.

You are absolutely right. A WoF evangelist who dares to bring power evangelism to the main streets of the Muslim world capitals, but whose name here would distract from the point, says "Faith is spelled RISK." A pastor has to be willing to allow the Holy Spirit to disrupt and create His version of order as Paul describes it so clearly in Corinthians. There is no way a message in tongues is going to be screened before it is given a Mic. In the largest churches I attended in the golden age of the Charismatic Movement, there would be a lull in the worship, spontaneous singing in the spirit, and very often, a message in another language in a voice so loud no one needed a mic to hear it.

Pastors learned to fear the pen of such critics as John MacArthur...Biblically, when the Holy Spirit arrives, the priests cannot stand to minister...and the critics claim they're seeing drunks.

In the largest churches I attended in the golden age of the Charismatic Movement, there would be a lull in the worship, spontaneous singing in the spirit, and very often, a message in another language in a voice so loud no one needed a mic to hear it.
I witnessed this many times at Phoenix Assembly of God under Pastor Tommy Barnett. The Word of God coming forth from one in tongues and another interpreting. I've even witnessed Pastor Barnett silence a couple of them for speaking outside of orderly manner.

Rockson! It's great to see you. It's been a while.

You are absolutely right. A WoF evangelist who dares to bring power evangelism to the main streets of the Muslim world capitals, but whose name here would distract from the point, says "Faith is spelled RISK." A pastor has to be willing to allow the Holy Spirit to disrupt and create His version of order as Paul describes it so clearly in Corinthians. There is no way a message in tongues is going to be screened before it is given a Mic. In the largest churches I attended in the golden age of the Charismatic Movement, there would be a lull in the worship, spontaneous singing in the spirit, and very often, a message in another language in a voice so loud no one needed a mic to hear it.
And I agree. I was born again in 76 and this was the way of it. Lull in worship, singing in the spirit and tongues and interpretation. As I said maybe the whole charismatic movement needs reborn which would involve everyone being willing to accept when they claim they're charismatic someone lovingly says, "No you're not, no you're not, no you're not!" Come on now folks now accept the issue squarely. You only are what you are if you truly practice it. I think the thought that freezes people up is what if it's really the flesh and not the Spirit and probably the answer is it doesn't really matter AS LONG as the message is one of exhortation. More times than not the ones stepping out will find all the sudden there's confirmation that happens, in other words...Hey God really was behind that. You never get to that place though unless we all step out when felling an unction to do so and as you said with leadership willing to allow it.

I witnessed this many times at Phoenix Assembly of God under Pastor Tommy Barnett. The Word of God coming forth from one in tongues and another interpreting. I've even witnessed Pastor Barnett silence a couple of them for speaking outside of orderly manner.
Having said what I've said I still believe there can be truth for a leader to exhort ones to hold off for a few minutes. But I believe their words should be allowed to come forth. And there can be examples of people out of order. One goes on and on really with intent to preach a sermon taking over a meeting but they disguise it as a word. There can be times where mature and discerning leadership has to tell someone NO and it's time to stop or lovingly suggest to them that they may mean well but they can be genuinely out of line and what they're doing is inappropriate.

And? I mean, so what. They obviously witnessed the same in Corinth, and Corinth is in ruins, as is Ephesus and all seven churches Jesus mentioned personally.

And I agree. I was born again in 76 and this was the way of it. Lull in worship, singing in the spirit and tongues and interpretation. As I said maybe the whole charismatic movement needs reborn which would involve everyone being willing to accept when they claim they're charismatic someone lovingly says, "No you're not, no you're not, no you're not!" Come on now folks now accept the issue squarely. You only are what you are if you truly practice it. I think the thought that freezes people up is what if it's really the flesh and not the Spirit and probably the answer is it doesn't really matter AS LONG as the message is one of exhortation.
It matters.

If the Spirit doesn't give the utterance, it's sounding brass and clanging symbols. We are right to fear the Lord.
More times than not the ones stepping out will find all the sudden there's confirmation that happens, in other words...Hey God really was behind that.
Faith that is not tried is only theory. The step is everything, and the step happens before the confirmation.
You never get to that place though unless we all step out when felling an unction to do so and as you said with leadership willing to allow it.
Revivals happen in history independent of leadership. New wine goes in new wineskins. Old wineskins have to grasp this principle.,

And? I mean, so what. They obviously witnessed the same in Corinth, and Corinth is in ruins, as is Ephesus and all seven churches Jesus mentioned personally.
"And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overpower it."

Hmm, the way you tell it, they got overpowered. The way I tell it, it was still alive and well in Phoenix.

Back