I chose vanilla ice cream last night

Maybe I went with vanilla because my wife wanted to share the ice cream cone with me and she's allergic to strawberry! My personal desire is precluded by the need of my wife.

Doug
You mean you desires to please your wife was greater.

You still can't escape it was your greatest desire that drove the choice.

No, my wife’s desire were more important than my personal desire!

My desire is subservient to hers, and my desires are subservient to God’s. My greatest desire is not always to my greatest personal benefit!

Doug

The necessary element to the Calvinistic desires argument is that the desires of an unregenerate are always to the benefit of the self. That we cannot see beyond ourselves and be sacrificial of our personal desires for the benefit of another party.

That interpretation is far too narrow and not true to scripture, logic, or experience. The greater desire must always be self centered to be true in the Edwardian sense of argument.

Doug

Maybe I went with vanilla because my wife wanted to share the ice cream cone with me and she's allergic to strawberry! My personal desire is precluded by the need of my wife.

Doug

And your son?

Last edited:
The necessary element to the Calvinistic desires argument is that the desires of an unregenerate are always to the benefit of the self. That we cannot see beyond ourselves and be sacrificial of our personal desires for the benefit of another party.

That interpretation is far too narrow and not true to scripture, logic, or experience. The greater desire must always be self centered to be true in the Edwardian sense of argument.

Doug

Wow .....

Just give me the address of your family dowery and I will send the check.

No postage due.

Last edited:
So your evidence of absurdity is a fictional tale of your own creation based on a presupposition that you are trying to thereby prove? I'm shaking in my boots...

Doug
Which presupposition is that? I love to hear it. I will sleep in my boots waiting for a answer.

Doug
Incorrect. Your desire to please and protect your wife is greater than your desire for strawberry ice-cream.

Doug
Not on my view. God gives common grace to men to care deeply for others, especially family.

But if it's not done in faith it is sin.

Regardless of whether your desire was ultimately self centered (which is a different issue), the fact would remain it was your strongest desire that drove the choice.

No, my wife’s desire were more important than my personal desire!

My desire is subservient to hers, and my desires are subservient to God’s. My greatest desire is not always to my greatest personal benefit!

Doug
In order for certain of your desires to be subservient to hers, there must have been a desire to elevate her desires. You are simply hiding this desire in your semantics.

Which presupposition is that? I love to hear it. I will sleep in my boots waiting for a answer.
It is presupposing that the greater desire is self serving and not submissive and sacrificial in nature. It also, as Simpletruther has suggested, assumes that faith is an impossibility sans regeneration.

Incorrect. Your desire to please and protect your wife is greater than your desire for strawberry ice-cream.
But it is a desire outside of myself. It is for the benefit of my wife's desire and well being at the detriment of my own desires.

Doug

Not on my view. God gives common grace to men to care deeply for others, especially family.

But if it's not done in faith it is sin.

Regardless of whether your desire was ultimately self centered (which is a different issue), the fact would remain it was your strongest desire that drove the choice.
Interesting wording, "to care deeply"; is this meant to be different from love in some way?

Doug

It is presupposing that the greater desire is self serving and not submissive and sacrificial in nature. It also, as Simpletruther has suggested, assumes that faith is an impossibility sans regeneration.

But it is a desire outside of myself. It is for the benefit of my wife's desire and well being at the detriment of my own desires.

Doug
It can be either or, so what. Your desire to care for your wife was greater than your desire for strawberry ice ream.

It's still your desire.

Interesting wording, "to care deeply"; is this meant to be different from love in some way?

Doug
The common grace fallacy. No one is talking about the "common grace " which has nothing to do with mans predetermined destiny by God. Its just a calvinists way of deflection.

Back