Why we laugh and learn to distrust 'science"

Authentic Nouveau

Photo de Proxima du Centaure, l’étoile la plus proche du Soleil, située à 4,2 année-lumière de nous. Elle a été prise par le JWST. Ce niveau de détails… Un nouveau monde se dévoile jour après jour.
Big shot astronomer shows picture of some star.

Ends up a close up of Chorizo sausage.

He admits his prank

The scientist then admitted to his prank.

“In view of some comments, I feel compelled to clarify that this tweet showing an alleged snapshot of Proxima Centauri was a form of amusement. Let us learn to be wary of arguments from authority as much as of the spontaneous eloquence of certain images….” he said.

Big letdown for our tres amigos.

He admits his prank

“In view of some comments, I feel compelled to clarify that this tweet showing an alleged snapshot of Proxima Centauri was a form of amusement. Let us learn to be wary of arguments from authority as much as of the spontaneous eloquence of certain images….” he said.

We all know how easy it is to get peer review.

It's documented, written about in journals, passed along to the media and schools and taught as fact.

He admits his prank

wow

your propaganda blog thinks it’s big news people on Twitter fell for a prank

Boy, this must mean science is a lie and we should just make stuff up and believe in magic

It shows how easily you are decieved.

But that's not important here, what's important is backup and his feelings.
You people are objectively wrong about climate change, COVID, evolution, etc.

there is no real debate

just science and anti-intellectual conspiracy theorists

conspiracy theorists have never been good on “why.”
They are good on the "why" they should spread conspiracy theories though. They get the attention they crave, poor mites. Even being laughed at is attention of a sort.

They just resent the gubmint telling them to do anything.

If it were the law to eat, there would be some that would starve to death.

This is something I don't quite get about the evangelical/American worldview. American conservatives really value freedom over almost anything else. The littlest ordinance is met with some resistance by many conservatives. But Biblical Christianity talks about the importance of obeying governing authorities (Rom 13) and the need to respect authority (see Jesus paying taxes..."render to Caesar what is Caesar's"). The exceptions, of course, being when the government requires Christians to completely go against their faith (see Acts 4-5 when the authorities demand the apostles not preach the gospel) or are requiring clearly immoral behavior.

But things like mask wearing...that's not immoral, and it certainly doesn't go against any Christian principle. So the Christian response to that (you're not gonna make ME wear a mask) comes not from Christianity, but from their American conservatism. And it's fine to have a political perspective, but for many Christians - on both sides of the aisle - their faith is so intertwined with their politics, they don't see how tightly they're woven together in their lives, and they often mistake one for the other.

You people are objectively wrong about climate change, COVID, evolution, etc.

there is no real debate

There is no debate with you people, you are just atheist trolls.

I dunno bout you but I'm waiting for all the snow to be gone, like you promised. I have a walkabout scheduled for Antarctica this winter.

Back