Original Sin...

What does it mean to call upon the Lord for salvation ? Romans 10:9-13

The doctrine of lordship salvation teaches that submitting to Christ as Lord goes hand-in-hand with trusting in Christ as Savior. Lordship salvation is the opposite of what is sometimes called easy-believism or the teaching that salvation comes through an acknowledgement of a certain set of facts.

John MacArthur, whose book The Gospel According to Jesus lays out the case for lordship salvation, summarizes the teaching this way: “The gospel call to faith presupposes that sinners must repent of their sin and yield to Christ’s authority.” In other words, a sinner who refuses to repent is not saved, for he cannot cling to his sin and the Savior at the same time. And a sinner who rejects Christ’s authority in his life does not have saving faith, for true faith encompasses a surrender to God. Thus, the gospel requires more than making an intellectual decision or mouthing a prayer; the gospel message is a call to discipleship. The sheep will follow their Shepherd in submissive obedience.

Advocates of lordship salvation point to Jesus’ repeated warnings to the religious hypocrites of His day as proof that simply agreeing to spiritual facts does not save a person. There must be a heart change. Jesus emphasized the high cost of discipleship: “Whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple” (Luke 14:27), and “Those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples” (verse 33). In the same passage, Jesus speaks of counting the cost; elsewhere, He stresses total commitment: “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God” (Luke 9:62).

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus says that eternal life is a narrow path found by “only a few” (Matthew 7:14); in contrast, easy-believism seeks to broaden the path so that anyone who has a profession of faith can enter. Jesus says that “every good tree bears good fruit” (verse 17); in contrast, easy-believism says that a tree can still be good and bear nothing but bad fruit. Jesus says that many who say “Lord, Lord” will not enter the kingdom (verses 21–23); in contrast, easy-believism teaches that saying “Lord, Lord” is good enough.

Lordship salvation teaches that a true profession of faith will be backed up by evidence of faith. If a person is truly following the Lord, then he or she will obey the Lord’s instructions. A person who is living in willful, unrepentant sin has obviously not chosen to follow Christ, because Christ calls us out of sin and into righteousness. Indeed, the Bible clearly teaches that faith in Christ will result in a changed life (2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 5:22–23; James 2:14–26).

Lordship salvation is not a salvation-by-works doctrine. Advocates of lordship salvation are careful to say that salvation is by grace alone, that believers are saved before their faith ever produces any good works, and that Christians can and do sin. However, true salvation will inevitably lead to a changed life. The saved will be dedicated to their Savior. A true Christian will not feel comfortable living in unconfessed, unforsaken sin.

Here are nine teachings that set lordship salvation apart from easy-believism:got?

Hope this helps !!!

next …

You don't need to endless detail the belief. I know what it teaches. You believed it the "MacArthur" way for decades. It is one of the reason you took the next step into Arminianism.

Lol keep telling yourself that Mac is a staunch Calvinist .

next

Lol keep telling yourself that Mac is a staunch Calvinist .

next

I never said you weren't different now. You are. However, you've been close to Arminianism for a long time and didn't realize it. MacArthur taught you to judge your brothers in Jesus Christ.

I don't judge your position in Jesus Christ. That is a HUGE difference between us. I don't expect weak brothers to be anything other than sinful. I still accept them as children. I don't expect babies to be anything other than babies. Carnal. Sinful whining babies. This world is full of them. They must be nurtured. Forgiven. It saddens me that you've taken these steps.

According to Arminians and MacArthur, you can know.

They are just too afraid to commit enough to their mistaken doctrines to follow through on their claims.

They know they're wrong. They just refuse to admit it. If they claim they know what good works are then they should MAN ENOUGH to pick the winners and losers. They're not.
Read 1 John...he certainly thought we can tell between the players and the fakers!

2:5But if anyone obeys his word, love for God a is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: 6Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did...9Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister is still in the darkness.

3:4Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.
7Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. 8The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. 9No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. 10This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.

3:14We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death. 15Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him.

16This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. 17If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? 18Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

4:13This is how we know that we live in him and he in us: He has given us of his Spirit. 14And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God. 16And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.

Doug

Read 1 John...he certainly thought we can tell between the players and the fakers!

2:5But if anyone obeys his word, love for God a is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: 6Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did...9Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister is still in the darkness.

3:4Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.
7Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. 8The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. 9No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. 10This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.

3:14We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love each other. Anyone who does not love remains in death. 15Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him.

16This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. 17If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? 18Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

4:13This is how we know that we live in him and he in us: He has given us of his Spirit. 14And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God. 16And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.

Doug

Then why are you afraid to name names?

Why did you ignore that part of my response? "Man up" and stand behind what you believe. To this point, all you are an accuser without perpetrator. No one listens to such a person.

Why did you ignore that part of my response? "Man up" and stand behind what you believe. To this point, all you are an accuser without perpetrator. No one listens to such a person.
ad hominems.

Who, pray tell, am I suppose to be naming and why?

Doug

Do you accept the Doctrine of Original Sin?

If so, what would you say the Doctrine of Original Sin teaches?

If you don't accept it; why not?

I accept the Doctrine of Original sin. After being here at CARM Forums for so long now, I think Original Sin (or the lack there-of) plays a Fundamental part concerning the differences between Arminianism and Calvinism; and let's say Traditionalism and other Liberal Christian beliefs. So I'll start out by saying the Doctrine of Original Sin teaches there are "Unconditional Consequences" dealt out because of the Fall of Man, which are a Generational Curse...
I believe in a (the?) doctrine of original sin in that Adam stood as the representative of all creation, and when He sinned, it plunged ALL creation, to include all humanity, into sin. This mark of Adam, this original sin, is present in us in the form of our slavery to sin, our sinful nature. Adam's sin sold all humanity into slavery. It doesn't matter what He did, all that matters is the result of what he did. For by one man sin entered the world, and with sin, death. None of us are reinventing the wheel. We are not bringing sin into the world in ourselves. For by Adam we all became sinners and we all face death. By Christ, those who believe are made righteous by Him, and face eternal life. Just as Adam brought sin into the world, Jesus brings life to those who believe.

So there was an original sin by which sin and death entered the world and corrupted all creation and all humanity. However, we are not held guilty of that original sin. We fall short because Adam missed the mark, and in the same way we miss the mark. Sin is an archery term for missing the mark. The mark is perfection.

I accept the Doctrine of Original sin. After being here at CARM Forums for so long now, I think Original Sin (or the lack there-of) plays a Fundamental part concerning the differences between Arminianism and Calvinism; and let's say Traditionalism and other Liberal Christian beliefs. So I'll start out by saying the Doctrine of Original Sin teaches there are "Unconditional Consequences" dealt out because of the Fall of Man, which are a Generational Curse...
I believe original sin is described in this verse: Adam & Eve were the first humans to sin but neither of them were the first created beings to sin, Satan was, followed by one third of the angels.

Joh 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.

If original sin means we are born guilty and condemned. I don't see that in the Bible.
It seems to be based on David saying he was conceived in sin as Psalm 51 says "In sin my mother conceived me."
I am not clear on what it does mean, but it seems a reach to base all the doctrines of original sin on that phrase

If original sin means we are born guilty and condemned. I don't see that in the Bible.
It seems to be based on David saying he was conceived in sin as Psalm 51 says "In sin my mother conceived me."
I am not clear on what it does mean, but it seems a reach to base all the doctrines of original sin on that phrase
Unchecked Copy Box
1Co 15:21 - For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.

Unchecked Copy Box
1Co 15:22 - For as in Adam all die,even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Unchecked Copy Box
1Co 15:21 - For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.

Unchecked Copy Box
1Co 15:22 - For as in Adam all die,even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
The Word goes on to say that death spread to all because all sinned. (Rom 5:12) I would be surprised if you could bring up a passage that states a person is condemned based on Adam's sin as opposed to being condemned for their own sin.

The Word goes on to say that death spread to all because all sinned. (Rom 5:12) I would be surprised if you could bring up a passage that states a person is condemned based on Adam's sin as opposed to being condemned for their own sin.

You don't understand what "original sin" is.

Rom. 5:12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned—

1) sin came into the world through [Adam];
2) Therefore, all have sinned;
3) therefore death spread to all men.

Your Pelagian believes make this verse meaningless.
Adam's sin made all humanity sinners.
Because we are sinners, therefore we sin.

If your beliefs are true, then why has there never been ONE person, outside the Son of God, upon the billions upon billions who have ever lived, who lived without sinning?

Back