"For many are called, but few chosen." Matthew 22:14

Matthew 22:14: "For many are called, but few chosen."

Mat 22:11 And the king coming in to look over the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment.
Mat 22:12 And he said to him, Friend, how did you come in here without having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
Mat 22:13 Then the king said to the servants, Bind him hand and foot and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Mat 22:14 For many are called (κλητοι), but few chosen (εκλεκτοι).

First of all, it is God that does both the calling and the choosing (election). Calling is not some external announcement of the Gospel, it is internal working of God. That’s made clear because verse 13 uses figurative language about hades/hell so the entire parable has eschatological ramifications (outer darkness, weeping, gnashing of teeth).

Second of all, what role does man play? Let’s look at Prov 1:24:

Prov 1:24 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;

It is man who does the refusing or the reverse of refusing, i.e.: accepting. Synergy is manifested in all its facets.

Third of all, the fact that the number of people ("many") called by God decreases to the number of people ("few') elected by God hits hard at both the Irresistible Grace and the Preservation of Saints theories.
In the parable there are two groups. The originally invited group representing the jews, and the larger indiscriminate group representing gentiles. As far as amounts go, the first, the Jews, is few, the second, the gentiles, is many.
The Jews, the few, were chosen on earth to be His people on earth, the many are callled to be His in eternity.

In the parable there are two groups. The originally invited group representing the jews, and the larger indiscriminate group representing gentiles. As far as amounts go, the first, the Jews, is few, the second, the gentiles, is many.
The Jews, the few, were chosen on earth to be His people on earth, the many are callled to be His in eternity.
Gal 3:28 "There cannot be Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is no male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

Gal 3:28 "There cannot be Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is no male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus."
Yes, that is a different topic, different point, not related directly to the banquet parable.
Or are you making a connection to that parable that I am missing

Both Jews and Gentiles are called to be His in eternity. We are all one in Christ Jesus.
I agree, but the parable in question is dealing with the dynamic when the gospel was first being offered to gentiles, and the use of the word "chosen" the way Jesus uses it there referring only to the Jews, will change so that when Paul speaks of the chosen, they are anyone in Christ.
Jews were chosen on earth. Christians are chosen for Heaven

Mat 22:9 "Therefore go into the exits of the highways, and as many as you shall find, invite them to the marriage."

That means that they did their upmost to urge everyone to come to the wedding. Maybe a few people were missed but did show up on the wedding? At the entrance I'm sure that they were received with open arms in light of the fact that guests were urgently wanted.

It's very hard to imagine a 3rd party in light of the urgency that was expressed by the King to call as many as could be found.

The Bible proclaims the dignity of man and Arminianism strongly believes in that, as opposed to man being considered hopelessly depraved. We are totally incapable of saving ourselves but man is not totally devoid of conscience, heart, and mind.
Amen to the truth !

So you forgot how the master, the father of the groom, tossed guests out into the outer darkness? Are these the one's who showed up uninvited?
Everyone was welcomed into the Wedding. The only recorded example of someone being tossed into outer darkness was the person who did not have a wedding garment.

Everyone was welcomed into the Wedding. The only recorded example of someone being tossed into outer darkness was the person who did not have a wedding garment.
That would be the person who says they are a believer, when they are not. I'm surprised you would miss that. They didn't even come in proper attire. Notice how God didn't just give them proper attire, but threw them out. That is like the most precise statement against salvation by our own works. One could even go as far as saying that what upset God the most is the person didn't even ask what the proper attire was, much less ask to borrow any.

Back