Lake Mead levels down.

CrowCross

Drought-Stricken Lake Mead Less Than 150 Feet From "Dead Pool"​

I would bet the "left" considers this as disinformation. Article.

The surface of Lake Mead, North America's largest artificial reservoir, now stands at 1044 feet above sea level and is dropping fast. If Lake Mead's water level falls another 149 feet, a dangerous level known as a "dead pool" could wreak havoc across Southwestern US.

Weather is complex, so climate change will have different effects in different areas. Is is indeed a worrying situation.

1044.31 current level
11450 cfs release.

1 acre foot every 3 seconds. It is generating power and the releases are by charter to provide irrigation for Mexico.

Also water is being drawn for The Imperial Valley.

Weather is complex, so climate change will have different effects in different areas. Is is indeed a worrying situation.
This is NOT climate change. The area is desert was desert and will be desert. With monsoons, it went up a little.

25,000,000 people get some water from here.

This is NOT climate change. The area is desert was desert and will be desert. With monsoons, it went up a little.

25,000,000 people get some water from here.
You need to remember that the water in the lake comes from somewhere else - the Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah Rocky Mountains, rather than the desert. If its catchment area is receiving less water - possibly due to climate change - then the lake will not be so full.

You need to remember that the water in the lake comes from somewhere else - the Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah Rocky Mountains, rather than the desert. If its catchment area is receiving less water - possibly due to climate change - then the lake will not be so full.
Except it's mostly not due to climate change, nor the catchment area receiving less water. The cause is the overuse of water by human beings.

I've seen the same stuff being pushed over the Great Salt Lake drying up, claiming it's that dastardly global warming. Yet when one looks into the details, there's been no real change in the area wrt rainfall, etc.. The change has been a massive increase by agricultural companies, pumping out water or collecting it along its way to the basin, for livestock.

Except it's mostly not due to climate change, nor the catchment area receiving less water. The cause is the overuse of water by human beings.

I've seen the same stuff being pushed over the Great Salt Lake drying up, claiming it's that dastardly global warming. Yet when one looks into the details, there's been no real change in the area wrt rainfall, etc.. The change has been a massive increase by agricultural companies, pumping out water or collecting it along its way to the basin, for livestock.
Over use is certainly a big issue. Can you show me the data you looked at for rainfall?

Recently the use of water from the Colorado River by human beings has been stable or even decreasing. It was sustainable 20 years ago. Now it is not, even though we humans are taking less water than 20 years ago. Climate change.

Recently the use of water from the Colorado River by human beings has been stable or even decreasing. It was sustainable 20 years ago. Now it is not, even though we humans are taking less water than 20 years ago. Climate change.
So you make a claim without data?

California Lake Oroville was at record high, overflow and spillway damaged.

According to here, the level has been dropping since mind-May.

This article agreees, noting that that is only half full.

Oh, wait. Your article is from five years ago... So hours away, back in February 2017.

The claim that water usage from the Colorado has gone down with various conservation measures? It is a fact. Now the cuts to water usage will have to be even greater.

The intermountain west's water is sent to Arizona, California etc.

I read some of the link.

Basically .......

We got to much water, "it's global warming".

Or course if they don't have enough water.

The answer is the same, "it's global warming'.

Not saying global warming is not real.

But .... sheeesh

Drought-Stricken Lake Mead Less Than 150 Feet From "Dead Pool"​

I would bet the "left" considers this as disinformation. Article.

The surface of Lake Mead, North America's largest artificial reservoir, now stands at 1044 feet above sea level and is dropping fast. If Lake Mead's water level falls another 149 feet, a dangerous level known as a "dead pool" could wreak havoc across Southwestern US.

I also listened to someone that collects rainwater for use in the southwest region. His proof-of-principle is working to date and he believes that rainwater collection should be the primary source of water and use of the Colorado and aquifers should be implemented as a backup supply.

"We can really no longer look at the past and say: The amount of water we've had in the last 100 years is what we can expect in the future," says Eric Kuhn, an author who worked on water policy for decades at the Colorado River Water Conservation District. "That is no longer true because of climate change." - NPR

___

Last edited:
Back