Space Images

I'm sure I'm revealing my ignorance here, but... why does the Sun cast a shadow which looks like an Idaho potato?
What you are seeing is the Mars moon, (not sure which one) passing in front of the sun. The moon is the shape of a potato. It looks like a shadow because there is no light falling on the face that is towards the camera. For the same effect, take a real potato and hold it so that it partially obscures a light bulb.

Our ideas of eclipses are skewed because the size of Earth's moon's disc is almost exactly the same size as the disc of the sun.

CNET (5/12/2022)

Astronomers Reveal First Ever Image of the Milky Way's Black Hole​

Another test of General Relativity - confirmed

"
I wish I could tell you that the second time is as good as the first, when imaging black holes. But that wouldn't be true -- it is actually better," said Feryal Özel, an astrophysicist at the University of Arizona and part of the EHT Collaboration.

Today, the world bears witness to the fruits of their labor and it's every bit as groundbreaking as expected. This dazzling light, swirling orange around a shadowy circle, traveled more than 26,000 years to reach us. It was birthed at the edge of Sgr A* when Earth's northern ice sheets reached as far as Manhattan, cave bears still roamed Europe and Homo sapiens settlements were being built from mammoth bones.

"

Introducing Sagittarius A*

See: timestamp 2.24

The age of imaging algorithms has started. I am expecting many more images in the future that couldn't be produced with diffraction-limited systems alone.

___

Last edited:
"Webb NIRCam composite image of Jupiter from three filters: "

James Webb Telescope - images of Jupiter

"This information arrives at the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI), Webb’s mission and science operations center, as raw data. STScI processes the data into calibrated files for scientific analysis and delivers it to the Mikulski Archive for Space Telescopes for dissemination. Scientists then translate that information into images like these during the course of their research..."

__

10 ) Helix Nebula

View attachment 2679

Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/University of Arizona - (Spitzer Space Telescope )

"Explanation: What makes this cosmic eye look so red? Dust. The featured image from the robotic Spitzer Space Telescope shows infrared light from the well-studied Helix Nebula (NGC 7293) a mere 700 light-years away in the constellation of the Water Carrier Aquarius. The two light-year diameter shroud of dust and gas around a central white dwarf has long been considered an excellent example of a planetary nebula, representing the final stages in the evolution of a Sun-like star. But the Spitzer data show the nebula's central star itself is immersed in a surprisingly bright infrared glow. Models suggest the glow is produced by a dust debris disk. Even though the nebular material was ejected from the star many thousands of years ago, the close-in dust could have been generated by collisions in a reservoir of objects analogous to our own solar system's Kuiper Belt or cometary Oort cloud. Had the comet-like bodies formed in the distant planetary system, they would have survived even the dramatic late stages of the star's evolution."

___

Explanation credit: APOD
It really does look like an eye. Beautiful photograph.

James Webb Exoplanet WASP-39 b

Spitzer and Hubble spectra demonstrated an atmosphere that consisted of: water vapor, sodium, and potassium
James Webb's near infrared spectrograph shows carbon dioxide

["The first clear, detailed evidence for carbon dioxide ever detected in a planet outside the solar system."]

- temperature: 1,600 degrees Fahrenheit
- distance ~ 700 ly away
- nearly identical in mass as Saturn
- diameter ~ 1.3 x larger than Jupiter
- four day orbital period

__

A nearly perfect Einstein Ring ~ 12 billion light years distant

This beautiful image of Galaxy SPTS J041839-4751.8 was captured using the Mid Infrared Instrument (MIRI).

The phenomena is an effect first predicted by Albert Einstein and many observations of gravitational lensing have been discovered afterward.

____

For advanced life to be possible on a planet, the surrounding planetary system must be extraordinarily fine-tuned—including its asteroids and comets. Belts that are too massive or too close will deliver too many devastating collisions and far too much water. On the other hand, asteroid and comet belts that are insufficiently massive or too far away will fail to provide the water and heavy metals that advanced life and civilization needs."
How much of our water and heavy metals came from comets and asteroids? I would have guessed next to none.

How much of our water and heavy metals came from comets and asteroids? I would have guessed next to none.

How much? Good question.

- data from Comet 67P/C-G suggests that Earth's water came from asteroids
- spectroscopic data showed that on Mercury there are volatile-containing materials that are comparable to chondritic meteorites. The data is consistent with volcanism shortly after the end of the late heavy bombardment.

___

A nearly perfect Einstein Ring ~ 12 billion light years distant

This beautiful image of Galaxy SPTS J041839-4751.8 was captured using the Mid Infrared Instrument (MIRI).

The phenomena is an effect first predicted by Albert Einstein and many observations of gravitational lensing have been discovered afterward.

____

drj631pslfj91.png

There it is - just in the center of the image: credit STScI / Spaceguy44 with SPT-S J041839-4751.8 with MIRI

Neptune's rings (The James Webb Space Telescope)

for_stsci_site_imagec-neptunezoom.png

Neptune is an ice giant characterized by its chemical constituents with greater mass than hydrogen and helium in the interior unlike Jupiter and Saturn. It's characteristic turquoise tint in the visible spectrum is from methane, and its temperature in the stratosphere from the mid-infrared spectrum showed a cooling period from observations made between 2003 - 2009 and then it warmed up between 2018 and 2020.

Seasons are much longer on a planet that has a 164-year orbit around the sun.

___

More information (Reference: NASA, and more NASA

DART

Last images before impact:

___
I hope that it worked.

Will it stop this potential Asteroid:

8 Then the second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned to blood, 9 a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

I hope that it worked.

8 Then the second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned to blood, 9 a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

As it turns out, I am currently in a study on the book of Revelation.

___

Which view are you looking at it with? Preterism or futuristic?

Since I haven't studied Revelation with this particular group I don't know what conclusions we will draw - yet. Since we all attend the same church I'm expecting general agreement.

___

I hope that it worked.

As the data comes in it may require several weeks of data collection to resolve changes in the asteroid's trajectory.

___

Back