"come to know Him"--and obeying the commandments

dberrie2020

(Romans 3:23) None of us have flawlessly obeyed the commandments, so that is not the means of obtaining salvation, yet we know that we have come to know Him/already know Him/already saved/demonstrative evidence if we "keep" (Greek word "tereo" - guard, observe, watch over) His commandments. (1 John 2:3)

As to your "come to know Him"---

1 John 2:3-4---King James Version
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not i

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not i
Mormons are under a false religion and a majority of them have no intention of repenting. Keeping Joseph Smith's comandments instead of following the true GOD is evil.

Galatians 1
8But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Mormons are under a false religion and a majority of them have no intention of repenting.
There is no requirement for us to do what you all do to find salvation, but as one can see from 1 John 2:3-4. Those that claim they know him and don't keep his commandments are liars and the truth is not in them. Repentance is a course correction. If one is not on the correct course, he cannot be saved.

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not
That is definitely a problem for Mormons. If a Mormon knew God he would not be Mormon or a "Latter-day Saint."

That is definitely a problem for Mormons. If a Mormon knew God he would not be Mormon or a "Latter-day Saint."

That's fine Janice--but there is a difference between your straw man constructions--and the truth of the Biblical witness:

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

There is also a difference in faith alone theology--and the Biblical witness, as if the above witness is true--then faith alone theology is false.

There is no requirement for us to do what you all do to find salvation, but as one can see from 1 John 2:3-4. Those that claim they know him and don't keep his commandments are liars and the truth is not in them. Repentance is a course correction. If one is not on the correct course, he cannot be saved.
Problem is....not one single mormon keeps the commandments...which means according to your own theology, you're lost.

God saves us through faith alone unto good works just as He told us. dberrie can't stand the truth because it doesn't fit Joseph Smith's false theology.

That's fine Janice--but there is a difference between your straw man constructions--and the truth of the Biblical witness:

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

There is also a difference in faith alone theology--and the Biblical witness, as if the above witness is true--then faith alone theology is false.
God saved us to good works! Salvation first, works second. Apart from Christ there are no good works!

Psalm 119

Last edited:
We do good works IN salvation, not FOR salvation. Mormons need to learn the difference.

For whatever reason one does works--the Biblical witness has all men judged according to their works--and that unto life or damnation:

John 5:28-29---King James Version
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

God saved us to good works! Salvation first, works second.

Although God did save us unto good works--the scriptures have it both ways:

Romans 6:22--King James Version
22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

What is your evidence otherwise?

1 Peter 1:9--King James Version
9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

Problem is....not one single mormon keeps the commandments...which means according to your own theology, you're lost.

Straw men constructions won't change the testimony of the scriptures:

The fact being--if that is true--then faith alone theology is false.

Exactly what one will find being taught in the LDS church.

Straw men constructions won't change the testimony of the scriptures:

The fact being--if that is true--then faith alone theology is false.

Exactly what one will find being taught in the LDS church.
Are you saying you keepers His commandments? I'm saying there is a bunch you don't.....or do you keep all of the commandments?

Motivation towards "works" is key.

Then please show us where it states this is contingent upon motivation:

Matthew 16:27--King James Version
27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Here is the problem, Crow:---the scriptures connect our works with His grace--regardless of what you believe about motivation, and that violates faith alone theology.

Motivation may be a factor--but it does not negate the judgment according to works--and that for life or damnation--anathema to faith alone theology.

Are you saying you keepers His commandments? I'm saying there is a bunch you don't.....or do you keep all of the commandments?

How are you relating what the scriptures bear testimony of--to what I do or don't do?

Are you claiming that if I keep the commandments--the scriptures are true--and if I don't--the scriptures are false?

Crow--truth is independent of all spheres which surround it--including what I, you, or anyone else does--or don't do.

That's the truth. And if it's the truth--then faith alone theology is false--end of story, IMO. The question now begins--what is meant by "keeping the commandments"? Does that mean perfectly, or does it mean we repent and change when we don't keep them--and remain as keeping the commandments?

Since we live under the gospel of grace--that translates to the latter choice above,--as we wouldn't need grace if we lived the commandments perfectly.

Back