Year for a day?

WHICH of the time related prophecies in the book of Daniel require the use of “the year/day principle” for correct interpretation?

Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. 29 For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. 30 Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves. 31 Therefore watch, and remember that for three years I did not cease to warn everyone night and day Acts 20
WHICH of the time related prophecies in the book of Daniel require the use of “the year/day principle” for correct interpretation?
None.
Even William Miller admitted the model he constructed from Daniel was a mistake.
In the article below it appears he stuck to his guns, however, he did mention that in his dreams he thought he had a change of heart.
That I have been mistaken in the time, I freely confess; and I have no desire to defend my course any further than I have been actuated by pure motives, and it has resulted to God's glory.​
I cannot, however, reproach myself for having preached definite time; ... (2)​
As the prophetic periods, counting from the dates from which I have reckoned, have not brought us to the end, and as I cannot tell the exact time that chronology may vary from my calculations, I can only live in continual expectation of the event. I am persuaded that I cannot be far out of the way, and I believe that God will still justify my preaching to the world.(3)​
I can see no reason to change my belief.
There is not a point in my belief in which I am not sustained by some of the numerous writers who have opposed my views.​
That the 70 weeks are 490 years, and the 1260 and 2300 days are so many years, are admitted by [several in opposition].​
Thus there is not a point for which I have contended that has not been admitted by some of those who have written to disprove my opinions. William Miller.' "'LH, Aug. 1, 1845
Dream Of William Miller
My way was principally in the ascent until I came to a precipice. While standing here I heard a voice, "The soul which is lifted up is not upright" I then had a view of my proud heart, and all my ways seemed as though they were full of that sin. Even my devotions were nothing but pride ; and in the bitterness of my soul I cried out: " True, I am a proud haughty wretch !"
I lost my tracks, and while I was looking to find my way, the voice I had heard before again spake : " The way is marked with blood." I then felt surprised that I had not re- membered it.
I found myself, as I then thought, in an upper room, filled with the purest light that my eyes had ever beheld.
The only words I could recollect were— " Hallelu- jah, to the Lamb." The music was soft and sweet — it fell on the ear without any jar or pain.
I thought of the love they had one for another. I thought I felt its flame — its pure, unadulterated love. No mix-ture of self— I felt myself free from every clay, and all my soul was swallowed up in this celestial throng.
Here was [faith] communion indeed — no ennui — no hatred — no selfish principles to build up — no evil thoughts — nothing to hurt or an- noy. 0! ye selfish votaries, could ye but see this happy throng, you would cover your faces with shame

As it is written in the Scripture,
“Behold, I lay in Zion A chief cornerstone, elect, precious,
And he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame.” 1 Peter 2:4-6

Last edited:
Daniel 9:24-27 and Daniel 7.

The reason why it cannot apply to Daniel 8 and the 2300 day prophecy is because Daniel used the phrase for the 24 hour period of creation week. The chapter had to do with the Greek Empire, and history records it.

Daniel 8
5 And as I was considering, suddenly a male goat (Greece) came from the west , across the surface of the whole earth, without touching the ground; and the goat had a notable horn (Alexander the Great) between his eyes. 6 Then he came to the ram that had two horns (Meads and Persia), which I had seen standing beside the river, and ran at him with furious power. 7 And I saw him confronting the ram; he was moved with rage against him, attacked the ram, and broke his two horns. There was no power in the ram to withstand him, but he cast him down to the ground and trampled him; and there was no one that could deliver the ram from his hand.

8 Therefore the male goat grew very great; but when he became strong, the large horn was broken, (death of Alexander the Great) and in place of it four notable ones (his four generals) came up toward the four winds of heaven. 9 And out of one of them came a little horn (Antiochus Epiphances IV) which grew exceedingly great toward the south, toward the east, and toward the Glorious Land.

2300 24 hour periods is 6.3 years. That was the first Jewish revolt from 67 B.C. to 60 B.C. called the Maccabean revolt. Antiochus defiled the temple with a sacrificed unclean pig on the altar. Jacob Maccabees cleansed the temple. During the Roman Empire that followed a new temple was built and destroyed in 70 AD according to Daniel 9.

When Christ had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, Heb 1:3
2300 24 hour periods is 6.3 years. That was the first Jewish revolt from 67 B.C. to 60 B.C. called the Maccabean revolt. Antiochus defiled the temple with a sacrificed unclean pig on the altar. Jacob Maccabees cleansed the temple. During the Roman Empire that followed a new temple was built and destroyed in 70 AD according to Daniel 9.
Many will be purged, cleansed, and refined, but the wicked will not understand; Dan 12:10

While we are at it, why don't Adventists apply the year-day principle to Revelation 20:7? They treat the "time, times, and a dividing of time" as 3 1/2 years. They multiply the 3 1/2 by the 360 days in a Hebrew year to get 1260 years. They multiply 42 months by the 30 days in a Hebrew month to get 1260 years. And yet...

Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with Him for a thousand years. Revelation 20:7 NASB

Why do they not apply the principle consistently and multiply 1000 by 360?

How come Adventists don't believe in a "1000 years equals a day" principle?

But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. 2 Peter 3:8 NASB

That's way more explicit than the verses that Seventh-day Adventists, Jehovah's Witness, and Christadelphians rely on for a "Year equals a Day".

Wow, SDA, JW, and Christadelphians. That's quite a group to be a part of. Not exactly mainstream Christianity, is it?

Greetings Christian SDA, JonHawk and Common Tater,
That the 70 weeks are 490 years, and the 1260 and 2300 days are so many years, are admitted by [several in opposition].
I agree with William Miller that these three periods of time represent a day for a year. The 70 weeks representing 490 years is well supported. The 1260 days represents the dominance of the RCC form AD 529-533 to the French Revolution AD 1789-1793 and from AD 610 - 1870, both items representing the specific rise of the RCC and the specific decline of the RCC for these dates. Daniel 8 and Daniel 9 can be considered considerably interlinked and the 2300 evenings / mornings (=1 day) can also be considered to be 2300 years. Where I consider a major fulfillment of the 2300 years is from the defeat of the Persians Ram by the Grecian Alexander the Great Goat in BC 334-333 to AD 1967 when the Jews recaptured Jerusalem.
That's way more explicit than the verses that Seventh-day Adventists, Jehovah's Witness, and Christadelphians rely on for a "Year equals a Day".
Wow, SDA, JW, and Christadelphians. That's quite a group to be a part of. Not exactly mainstream Christianity, is it?
I consider that the three time periods are reasonably clear that they are longer than actual days, especially now as we look back on the history of these periods as mentioned in their context. I support the Christadelphian perspective and not at all worried to be in such a small fellowship, much smaller than the SDAs and JWs. The majority are not always correct, even these relative small groups compared to erroneous mainstream Christianity.

SDAs and JWs reject that Israel will be part of the 1000 year Kingdom as the SDAs and JWs consider the nations will be destroyed, the SDAs (mainly only SDAs) go to heaven and the earth is burnt, the JWs send 144,000 to heaven, and the second class JWs live on the earth. There was a mixture of these three views among the many that supported William Miller, but these three groups supported William Miller's view of 1843 before the Great Disappointment.

Kind regards
Trevor

Which "Authoritative Guess" would you like????

only the most authoritative...

Amplified Bible
For now [in this time of imperfection] we see in a mirror dimly [a blurred reflection, a riddle, an enigma], but then [when the time of perfection comes we will see reality] face to face. Now I know in part [just in fragments], but then I will know fully, just as I have been fully known [by God].

1 Corinthians 13:12

Last edited:
In the article below it appears he stuck to his guns, however, he did mention that in his dreams he thought he had a change of heart.
That I have been mistaken in the time, I freely confess; and I have no desire to defend my course any further than I have been actuated by pure motives, and it has resulted to God's glory.​
I cannot, however, reproach myself for having preached definite time; ... (2)​
As the prophetic periods, counting from the dates from which I have reckoned, have not brought us to the end, and as I cannot tell the exact time that chronology may vary from my calculations, I can only live in continual expectation of the event. I am persuaded that I cannot be far out of the way, and I believe that God will still justify my preaching to the world.(3)​
I can see no reason to change my belief.
There is not a point in my belief in which I am not sustained by some of the numerous writers who have opposed my views.​
That the 70 weeks are 490 years, and the 1260 and 2300 days are so many years, are admitted by [several in opposition].​
Thus there is not a point for which I have contended that has not been admitted by some of those who have written to disprove my opinions. William Miller.' "'LH, Aug. 1, 1845
Dream Of William Miller
My way was principally in the ascent until I came to a precipice. While standing here I heard a voice, "The soul which is lifted up is not upright" I then had a view of my proud heart, and all my ways seemed as though they were full of that sin. Even my devotions were nothing but pride ; and in the bitterness of my soul I cried out: " True, I am a proud haughty wretch !"
I lost my tracks, and while I was looking to find my way, the voice I had heard before again spake : " The way is marked with blood." I then felt surprised that I had not re- membered it.
I found myself, as I then thought, in an upper room, filled with the purest light that my eyes had ever beheld.
The only words I could recollect were— " Hallelu- jah, to the Lamb." The music was soft and sweet — it fell on the ear without any jar or pain.
I thought of the love they had one for another. I thought I felt its flame — its pure, unadulterated love. No mix-ture of self— I felt myself free from every clay, and all my soul was swallowed up in this celestial throng.
Here was [faith] communion indeed — no ennui — no hatred — no selfish principles to build up — no evil thoughts — nothing to hurt or an- noy. 0! ye selfish votaries, could ye but see this happy throng, you would cover your faces with shame
When Christ had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, Heb 1:3
As it is written in the Scripture,
“Behold, I lay in Zion A chief cornerstone, elect, precious,
And he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame.” 1 Peter 2:4-6

Many will be purged, cleansed, and refined, but the wicked will not understand; Dan 12:10

I agree with William Miller that these three periods of time represent a day for a year. The 70 weeks representing 490 years is well supported. The 1260 days represents the dominance of the RCC form AD 529-533 to the French Revolution AD 1789-1793 and from AD 610 - 1870, ....
I'm compelled to agree with John 3:7.

I agree with William Miller that these three periods of time represent a day for a year. The 70 weeks representing 490 years is well supported.
The word is "sha vu im". It means a period of seven. That period can be days, it can be years. It just means a unit of seven. A more correct translation is "seventy sevens". Daniel 9:24 does not prove a year-day principle.
The 1260 days represents the dominance of the RCC form AD 529-533 to the French Revolution AD 1789-1793 and from AD 610 - 1870, both items representing the specific rise of the RCC and the specific decline of the RCC for these dates. Daniel 8 and Daniel 9 can be considered considerably interlinked and the 2300 evenings / mornings (=1 day) can also be considered to be 2300 years. Where I consider a major fulfillment of the 2300 years is from the defeat of the Persians Ram by the Grecian Alexander the Great Goat in BC 334-333 to AD 1967 when the Jews recaptured Jerusalem.
What events support your dates of AD529-533 and AD 610-1870?
I consider that the three time periods are reasonably clear that they are longer than actual days, especially now as we look back on the history of these periods as mentioned in their context. I support the Christadelphian perspective and not at all worried to be in such a small fellowship, much smaller than the SDAs and JWs. The majority are not always correct, even these relative small groups compared to erroneous mainstream Christianity.
If those three time periods are reasonably clear, why are they not understood by Christianity on the whole?
SDAs and JWs reject that Israel will be part of the 1000 year Kingdom as the SDAs and JWs consider the nations will be destroyed, the SDAs (mainly only SDAs) go to heaven and the earth is burnt, the JWs send 144,000 to heaven, and the second class JWs live on the earth. There was a mixture of these three views among the many that supported William Miller, but these three groups supported William Miller's view of 1843 before the Great Disappointment.

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings again Common Tater,
The word is "sha vu im". It means a period of seven. That period can be days, it can be years. It just means a unit of seven. A more correct translation is "seventy sevens". Daniel 9:24 does not prove a year-day principle.
I appreciate this information as I have only heard of the Seventy Weeks prophecy previously. Do you agree with the concept that this period of time is 490 years? I understand that Daniel 9:20-27 focuses on Jesus as the Messiah and the covenant that he would introduce or ratify and I am no expert of this particular time period, but I have accepted that it would have been approximately 490 years.
What events support your dates of AD529-533 and AD 610-1870?
Justinian, Emporer of Constantinople during the period of AD 529-533 proclaimed legislation which supported building up and strengthened the Catholic Church. In it he proclaimed the bishop of Rome as Universal Bishop. In AD 608-610 Phocas issued a decree pronouncing the Pope as head of all the churches. 1260 years later in 1868-1870, the last remnant of temporal power was taken from Pope Pius when the revolutionaries under Garibaldi finally occupied Rome, and made it the capital of a United Italy.
If those three time periods are reasonably clear, why are they not understood by Christianity on the whole?
Because there are many factions based on many differing concepts. My assessment on main stream Christianity is that they are not really interested in understanding the books of Daniel and Revelation. Their main focus is to go to heaven when they die, and only a small number believe in the Kingdom of God upon the earth for the 1000 years. At least SDAs, JWs and Christadelphians do not believe in immortal souls and going to heaven at death, but they differ in the detail concerning the 1000 years Kingdom.

You seem to dismiss the 1000 years, or you are simply trying to have a bit of fun:
Revelation 20:4-6 (KJV): 4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years
How come Adventists don't believe in a "1000 years equals a day" principle?
But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. 2 Peter 3:8 NASB
I am not sure if you are serious and that you take the 1000 years of Revelation 20:4-6 as one day. That would make the period of time that the faithful rule over the nations with Christ as kings and priests for one day. My youth leader told us over 50 years ago a saying: "A text without a context is a pretext". A well known example "Judas went and hanged himself", "Go and do likewise". And btw, both SDAs and JWs concepts have the nations destroyed, and thus they have no one over whom to be kings and priests.

Kind regards
Trevor

You seem to dismiss the 1000 years, or you are simply trying to have a bit of fun:
Revelation 20:4-6 (KJV): 4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years

I am not sure if you are serious and that you take the 1000 years of Revelation 20:4-6 as one day. That would make the period of time that the faithful rule over the nations with Christ as kings and priests for one day. My youth leader told us over 50 years ago a saying: "A text without a context is a pretext". A well known example "Judas went and hanged himself", "Go and do likewise". And btw, both SDAs and JWs concepts have the nations destroyed, and thus they have no one over whom to be kings and priests.

Kind regards
Trevor
I do take the 1000 years seriously. I am simply trying to point out that Adventists see the 3 1/2 years as 3.5 times 360 years (360 days in a prophetic year, so year for a day means 360 years) when it suits them, but don't apply that same principle to the 1000 years. If they did, you would see 1000 times 360, or 360000 years. They treat a year as a literal year when it suits them and as 360 years when it suits them. Not consistent.

I appreciate this information as I have only heard of the Seventy Weeks prophecy previously. Do you agree with the concept that this period of time is 490 years? I understand that Daniel 9:20-27 focuses on Jesus as the Messiah and the covenant that he would introduce or ratify and I am no expert of this particular time period, but I have accepted that it would have been approximately 490 years.

Justinian, Emporer of Constantinople during the period of AD 529-533 proclaimed legislation which supported building up and strengthened the Catholic Church. In it he proclaimed the bishop of Rome as Universal Bishop. In AD 608-610 Phocas issued a decree pronouncing the Pope as head of all the churches. 1260 years later in 1868-1870, the last remnant of temporal power was taken from Pope Pius when the revolutionaries under Garibaldi finally occupied Rome, and made it the capital of a United Italy.

Because there are many factions based on many differing concepts. My assessment on main stream Christianity is that they are not really interested in understanding the books of Daniel and Revelation. Their main focus is to go to heaven when they die, and only a small number believe in the Kingdom of God upon the earth for the 1000 years. At least SDAs, JWs and Christadelphians do not believe in immortal souls and going to heaven at death, but they differ in the detail concerning the 1000 years Kingdom.

Kind regards
Trevor
I have never quite understood why such major events as the East-West Schism of the church in 1054 AD, or the Avignon Papacy from 1309 to 1376 AD (where the papacy was moved from Rome to Avignon, France, and is often referred to as the "Babylonian Captivity of the Papacy". The popes during this time were little more than lickspittles to the King of France and whose secular powers were pretty much in name only), or the Protestant Reformation are not considered "deadly wounds".

I do take the 1000 years seriously. I am simply trying to point out that Adventists see the 3 1/2 years as 3.5 times 360 years (360 days in a prophetic year, so year for a day means 360 years) when it suits them, but don't apply that same principle to the 1000 years. If they did, you would see 1000 times 360, or 360000 years. They treat a year as a literal year when it suits them and as 360 years when it suits them. Not consistent.
We must examine each prophecy in its context, and some have symbolic details, and some literal. There are many that take some of the 3 1/2 years as literal, and some of these expositors have been and are very popular in the USA and I am interacting with a forum member by private discussion at the moment who has been taught a particular line, but essentially ignores Daniel 7 and the view that the Little Horn of the 4th Beast is RCC which used to be popular among Protestants, especially early after the Reformation, but not today as you seem to suggest. He also equates the Little Horn of the Goat Daniel 8 as being the same Little Horn of Daniel 7, but they are different, the first is mainly religious and the second mainly military. Again your Christian majority put this Little Horn back in time past history and only talk about Antiochus Epiphanes. Are Daniel 7 and 8 spoken about in your Church environment?

As far as dates are concerned I have been very interested in the 2300 days, as I attended a home study class on Daniel 8 in 1966 and the expositor stated he considered great things were about to happen. I have pencil notes in my Bible margin mentioning the two main Battles of Issus and Granicus, BC 334-333, 331 and then adding 2300 to this he mentioned 1966-1969. Only some years after did I consider that the Six Day War fulfilled a major part of the 2300, a major step in restoring the position of Israel in the Holy Land. I also strongly link this with Luke 21:24, the treading down of Jerusalem by the Gentiles for a long period of time, not 2300 days. I suggest that Jesus was alluding to and quoting Daniel 8:13-14 and this is contrary to the teaching by the Churches and the SDAs and JWs. I prefer my smaller fellowship.

If you are a Baptist, I would be interested what view you hold on the return of Jesus and what he will do when he returns. A local Baptist Church advertised that a speaker was going to address this, and I attended, and there was very much singing, and then a red haired speaker spoke about if you don't repent the Devil will get you and you will be tortured in hell for ever. By the end his face matched the colour of his hair. Two old ladies came forward, and the lady two along from me said "Not her again". Possibly the speaker did not know about the Kingdom of God upon the earth, and especially he may not know about the various time periods that are given, but you ask why don't the churches know about these time periods. What is taught in your environment, and what is your view?

Kind regards
Trevor

We must examine each prophecy in its context, and some have symbolic details, and some literal. There are many that take some of the 3 1/2 years as literal, and some of these expositors have been and are very popular in the USA and I am interacting with a forum member by private discussion at the moment who has been taught a particular line, but essentially ignores Daniel 7 and the view that the Little Horn of the 4th Beast is RCC which used to be popular among Protestants, especially early after the Reformation, but not today as you seem to suggest. He also equates the Little Horn of the Goat Daniel 8 as being the same Little Horn of Daniel 7, but they are different, the first is mainly religious and the second mainly military. Again your Christian majority put this Little Horn back in time past history and only talk about Antiochus Epiphanes. Are Daniel 7 and 8 spoken about in your Church environment?

As far as dates are concerned I have been very interested in the 2300 days, as I attended a home study class on Daniel 8 in 1966 and the expositor stated he considered great things were about to happen. I have pencil notes in my Bible margin mentioning the two main Battles of Issus and Granicus, BC 334-333, 331 and then adding 2300 to this he mentioned 1966-1969. Only some years after did I consider that the Six Day War fulfilled a major part of the 2300, a major step in restoring the position of Israel in the Holy Land. I also strongly link this with Luke 21:24, the treading down of Jerusalem by the Gentiles for a long period of time, not 2300 days. I suggest that Jesus was alluding to and quoting Daniel 8:13-14 and this is contrary to the teaching by the Churches and the SDAs and JWs. I prefer my smaller fellowship.

If you are a Baptist, I would be interested what view you hold on the return of Jesus and what he will do when he returns. A local Baptist Church advertised that a speaker was going to address this, and I attended, and there was very much singing, and then a red haired speaker spoke about if you don't repent the Devil will get you and you will be tortured in hell for ever. By the end his face matched the colour of his hair. Two old ladies came forward, and the lady two along from me said "Not her again". Possibly the speaker did not know about the Kingdom of God upon the earth, and especially he may not know about the various time periods that are given, but you ask why don't the churches know about these time periods. What is taught in your environment, and what is your view?

Kind regards
Trevor
To be honest, after many years in the SDA church and listening to all the talks about the prophecies etc, I have to reject that idea based on Jesus own words not in Acts 1:7 it is not for us to know the times or epochs.
Once you are a believer you will know a false prophet

Greetings Formersda,
To be honest, after many years in the SDA church and listening to all the talks about the prophecies etc, I have to reject that idea based on Jesus own words not in Acts 1:7 it is not for us to know the times or epochs.
Acts 1:6–7 (KJV): 6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? 7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.
I doubt that this excludes the specific prophetic time periods which are given to his servants to encourage and enlighten them. As a Christadelphian we often use Acts 1:6 to confirm that the nation of Israel will be restored to favour, but this is denied by SDAs and JWs. I notice that your Forum title is "Formersda" and this seems to indicate that you are no longer an active SDA, and that possibly that you have espoused another position, with a special ability to identify "a false prophet" (EGW??). Nevertheless I decided to get down my SDA box of books and literature, which I keep next to my JW box. I keep them on top of one of my bookcases, and do not use these for reference as I disagree with much that has been written by these denominations.

In the SDA book "The Prophecies of Daniel and Revelation" by Uriah Smith 1944 revision, he deals with "A Time and Times and the Dividing of Time" on page 143 and equates this with 1260 years. He mentions two specific dates, but starting with the first he says:
Did the the papacy possess dominion for the length of time? The answer again is, Yes. The edict of the emperor Justinian, dated AD 533 made the bishop of Rome the head of all the churches. He then mentions AD 538, only 5 years later, and gives more specific detail, but it is still the same concept of how long the RCC would have dominance and persecute the faithful.
While I had the SDA box down I also opened the book SDAs Answer Questions on Doctrine 1957. On page 478 under "Concepts of the Millennium" he speaks of the Millerite movement, probably 100,000 strong. He describes the literalists who believed in the second personal advent. He then says: "Some taught the restoration of the Jews and other views derived from the writings of the British literalists." This represents the Christadelphian view, but the Christadelphian pioneer taught this well before 1843, and did not become directly associated with the Milleites. Those that did not accept the restoration of the Jews would be closer to the JWs who developed much later than 1843. In the book on page 479 it then speaks about the SDA position derived from William Miller, that the earth would be burnt and the nations destroyed and the faithful taken to heaven for the 1000 years.

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings Formersda,

Acts 1:6–7 (KJV): 6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? 7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.
I doubt that this excludes the specific prophetic time periods which are given to his servants to encourage and enlighten them. As a Christadelphian we often use Acts 1:6 to confirm that the nation of Israel will be restored to favour, but this is denied by SDAs and JWs. I notice that your Forum title is "Formersda" and this seems to indicate that you are no longer an active SDA, and that possibly that you have espoused another position, with a special ability to identify "a false prophet" (EGW??). Nevertheless I decided to get down my SDA box of books and literature, which I keep next to my JW box. I keep them on top of one of my bookcases, and do not use these for reference as I disagree with much that has been written by these denominations.

In the SDA book "The Prophecies of Daniel and Revelation" by Uriah Smith 1944 revision, he deals with "A Time and Times and the Dividing of Time" on page 143 and equates this with 1260 years. He mentions two specific dates, but starting with the first he says:
Did the the papacy possess dominion for the length of time? The answer again is, Yes. The edict of the emperor Justinian, dated AD 533 made the bishop of Rome the head of all the churches. He then mentions AD 538, only 5 years later, and gives more specific detail, but it is still the same concept of how long the RCC would have dominance and persecute the faithful.

While I had the SDA box down I also opened the book SDAs Answer Questions on Doctrine 1957. On page 478 under "Concepts of the Millennium" he speaks of the Millerite movement, probably 100,000 strong. He describes the literalists who believed in the second personal advent. He then says: "Some taught the restoration of the Jews and other views derived from the writings of the British literalists." This represents the Christadelphian view, but the Christadelphian pioneer taught this well before 1843, and did not become directly associated with the Milleites. Those that did not accept the restoration of the Jews would be closer to the JWs who developed much later than 1843. In the book on page 479 it then speaks about the SDA position derived from William Miller, that the earth would be burnt and the nations destroyed and the faithful taken to heaven for the 1000 years.

Kind regards
Trevor
Hi Trevor,

you are correct I am a former and yes I can spot a false prophet from a mile away.
Having been a pastors kid I have sat through more Daniel and revelation seminars than I care to remember.
I do not hold I’m a spiritual Israel
position Romans 9,10 and 11 are very clear that Israel have as much plans by God than the “church”. I repented from that sin as soon as I found out about it.

I therefore look forward to the Jews coming to Jesus and watch expectantly to events in Jerusalem.

Sdas believe that in the millennium we will be in heaven, that the SDAS will be looking at all the records of people and either agreeing with or disagreeing with God. The job of the sda is to vindicate God and the only way to do that is to keep the 10c’s but most importantly the 4th one. It’s the sabbath that will save you ultimately not Jesus.

Welcome to the board.

Back