1 Cor. 15:26 "the last enemy that will be destroyed is death", what does that mean?

Yahweh will increase

Here is the passage below.

1 Corinthians 15:22-26

22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in turn: Christ, the first fruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. 24 Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. 25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death.

So in your theology whatever that may be, what does Paul mean this and what does this pertain to and when do you believe it is suppose to happen and why?

So in your theology whatever that may be, what does Paul mean this and what does this pertain to and when do you believe it is suppose to happen and why?
Rev_20:14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire.

It is one of the last things that happens at the end of this age.

Rev_21:4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

Rev_20:14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire.

It is one of the last things that happens at the end of this age.

Rev_21:4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

First you need to consider the fact that Paul calls death here an enemy of God and when speaking of death and hell being cast into the lake of fire, you are speaking of those who already died.

Death being put under the feet of Jesus, means that it will be done away with completely, so that it never again claims any believers.

Here is another problem with your view on this, it is the fact that the whole chapter of 1 Corinthians 15 is about the resurrection and transformation of believers so that they no longer have to die physically and while he doesn't mention the rapture here, that would be the next thing that would happen after death is put under the feet of Jesus so that his saints don't have to die physically.

Notice the very first words, "For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive, but every man in his own order, Christ the first fruits and then afterward they who belong to Christ at his coming"

The first fruits is referring to those who were resurrected right after Jesus himself in Matthew 27:51-53 and therefore there is only one resurrection left in the future that Paul speaks of and that is the one when Christ comes and of course the rapture follows it.

Therefore what Paul is revealing when he says "the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death" is that when this happens, believers will no longer suffer in physical death but instead they will be changed in a moment and in the twinkling of an eye and the trump shall sound and they will ascend up into the air to meet Christ in the clouds and be present to God even the Father. .

Notice also that Paul says this will happen at the end and which very clearly reveals that it will not be pre trib like most falsely believe about it.

He certainly is not speaking of those already having died being cast into the lake of fire, but he is speaking of the enemy of death being put under the feet of Jesus for the saints so they no longer have to die physical by can be caught up to meet the Lord in the air to go into heaven with him.

Last edited:
Here is another problem with your view on this
All I did was quite Revelation. Death is cast into the lake of fire and there shall be no more death. I answered the only part you had emphasized:
The last enemy to be destroyed is death.

You are adding all the "Trib" stuff into the equation.

All I did was quite Revelation. Death is cast into the lake of fire and there shall be no more death. I answered the only part you had emphasized:

That isn't what Paul is speaking of in 1 Corinthians 15:22-26 and picking back up in verses 51-58 however.

For he is revealing why as he said in verses 51-52 not all believers will die physically and it will be because death is once and for all put under the feet of Jesus and done away with because all the other enemies of God will be put under the feet of Christ first and including sin in the flesh of the believer who remain alive at that time and which is what causes their physical death.

My purpose is to reveal from the word of God why the pre trib rapture doctrine is in error and this proves it.

For Paul reveals in 1 Corinthians 15:22-26 and 51-58 that the Christians will be the last human beings left alive on the earth after the tribulation and only then will physical death no longer be able to claim them so that they can will be caught up into the clouds to meet Jesus and be taken to heaven.

This is what the Bible teaches and nowhere in the scriptures is two comings of Jesus or two future resurrections taught but only one period and Paul clearly tells us it will happen at the very end of the tribulation of this present age.

By the way, the Bible verse you quoted "death and hell were cast into the lake of fire" does not end with "and there shall be no more death" but instead it reads like this "death and hell were cast into the lake of fire, THIS IS THE SECOND DEATH".

You need to understand this, that when Paul says "the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death" he is speaking this as pertaining to God's people and not the wicked, for it is necessary for the wicked to die because they remain wicked by their own choice and therefore deserve to die but God does not want this for those who believe.

You need to understand this, that when Paul says "the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death" he is speaking this as pertaining to God's people and not the wicked, for it is necessary for the wicked to die because they remain wicked by their own choice and therefore deserve to die but God does not want this for those who believe.
Don't think so.

1Co 15:24 Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. 25 For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet. 26 The last enemy that will be destroyed is death.

Rule (archēn), authority (exousian), power (dunamin). All forms of power opposing the will of God. Constative aorist tense covering the whole period of conflict with final victory as climax.

Ephesians 3:10 His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms,

Ephesians 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Colossians 1:16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.

It sounds like Christ puts an end to all enemies: all rulers, powers, authorities, and death is the last enemy.

Don't think so.

1Co 15:24 Then comes the end, when He delivers the kingdom to God the Father, when He puts an end to all rule and all authority and power. 25 For He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet. 26 The last enemy that will be destroyed is death.

Rule (archēn), authority (exousian), power (dunamin). All forms of power opposing the will of God. Constative aorist tense covering the whole period of conflict with final victory as climax.

Ephesians 3:10 His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms,

Ephesians 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Colossians 1:16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.

It sounds like Christ puts an end to all enemies: all rulers, powers, authorities, and death is the last enemy.
Didn't you notice that he calls death an enemy also and what causes death? Sin and all that is associated with sin and especially in regards to believers who although they no longer have sin ruling in their hearts, it still exists in their flesh and it is the very thing that causes their physical death as a result also.

And you don't believe Paul is including this in what he is referring to as enemies of God and especially when he called death the last enemy of God (and the church) that will be destroyed?

Also, all that Paul is revealing in 1 Corinthians 15 is for those who believe and it is all about the resurrection and the fact that not all believers will die and therefore you have to consider this when reading verses 22-26 also because it all pertains to the resurrection and the fact that not all believers will have to die physically.

That is the very context.

Furthermore, it isn't so much speaking of the physical powers but rather the spiritual and sin itself is also a ruler and a power and an enemy of God.

For if death is an enemy of God, then sin that causes death has to be a worse enemy yet, for none of his saints would have to die at all if there wasn't sin still dwelling within their flesh.

You seem to want to dismiss the fact that this whole chapter is about the resurrection and also the time when we shall not all die, and it is right in the very context and especially in verses 22-26 and also verses 51-58 likewise.

However if one has allowed himself to become totally brainwashed with the pre trib rapture doctrine, certainly he wouldn't want to think of these things.

So let me ask you then, are you of the persuasion that there will be a pre trib rapture of the church?

One thing you should know about me, is that I was saved in late 1972 and I bought every book of Hal Lindsey that was on the market at that time and he teaches a pre trib rapture of the church and so did my church also.

However, as I read his books and also listened to teachings in my church about this, I began to notice that it seemed to contradict a lot of what I was seeing in the Bible as I grew in my own personal memory and meditation of the scriptures.

As I began to grow in the word therefore, God spoke to my heart and asked me to lay all of that eschatology aside until he was ready for me to begin to understand it better and this I did.

So it wasn't until about 10 years ago that God began to bring me back to eschatology and also began to open my eyes about these things so that I could plainly see the errors in what is commonly being taught about it and when he began to show me the full context of 1 Corinthians 15, I was blown away.

So I don't only think that what I am saying is the truth, I know it is like Peter knew Jesus was the Christ the Son of the Living God, because God revealed it to me just like he revealed that to Peter and once God opens your eyes about something in his word, there is no going back to whatever it was you thought you knew about it before.

That is the difference between learning by the flesh (the natural mind) and learning by the Spirit and just like Paul also reveals in 1 Corinthians chapters 1-3 and especially chapter 2:13-16.

Last edited:
Here's an answer from Got Questions.
That is easily proven to be false also, for if it is referring to Christ putting down all rule, authority and power after he has already resurrected and raptured the saints in a pre trib resurrection and rapture of the church, then were are the wicked going to come from at the end of your fallacious 1000 extra to this age Kingdom for the Jews?

In other words, these enemies would have to be resurrected to life again, if what that dude was saying is true, because Revelation 20 very clearly tells us that there will be enemies that come against the camp of the saints at the end of the 1000 years and more death also.

For if it was all destroyed at the second coming and then there is another 1000 years of mortal life in this earth, and enemies rising up toward the end of that 1000 years, then how did he destroy them all at his coming?

Also, how could that be called the end, for Paul says "then comes the end when he shall put down all rule authority and power, for he must reign until he puts all enemies under his feet and the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death".

So if there is yet another 1000 years of moral life on this earth with more enemies existing and more death, how was death put under his feet at the second coming and how was all of his enemies put under his feet also and how could that be called the end, that is ridiculous and it simply doesn't work at all with the context.

Furthermore, sin is also an enemy of God and the very enemy that causes death also and therefore unless those going into the 1000 years are without sin, then Christ couldn't have destroyed all his enemies at his coming, that is just how absolutely foolish this guys idea is about this.

However, your understanding of the 1000 years is flawed anyhow and just like your idea about the rapture is also flawed and you just don't want to submit to the facts that are right in the very same chapter and context that tells us who are genuine believers, "we shall not all die but we shall all be changed".

Also, Paul is speaking of the future resurrection and the fact that following that resurrection those believers who are still alive, will not have to die physically, he isn't speaking of another one but only one single future resurrection and he calls it in verse 23, "they that belong to Christ at his coming".

So everything he says pertains to that resurrection and not some other time beyond that, for the fact is anyhow, that when that resurrection occurs, Paul says this also "Then comes the end, when he shall deliver up the Kingdom unto God even the Father" = Bingo, the final resurrection and rapture and the the only one left also.

Last edited:
Here's an answer from Got Questions.
Here is something that I will add to what I already said about this guys error.

For he said that when it says all enemies shall be destroyed it includes Satan, but the Greek word doesn't mean that they are actually destroyed in a complete sense but rather that they are annulled or rendered powerless, and which would mean that they would still exist long enough to face the judgment of God at the GWT as per Rev 20.

That is easily proven to be false also, for if it is referring to Christ putting down all rule, authority and power after he has already resurrected and raptured the saints in a pre trib resurrection and rapture of the church, then were are the wicked going to come from at the end of your fallacious 1000 extra to this age Kingdom for the Jews?
Do you think those in the 1000 year reign will not be able to sin?

Here is something that I will add to what I already said about this guys error.

For he said that when it says all enemies shall be destroyed it includes Satan, but the Greek word doesn't mean that they are actually destroyed in a complete sense but rather that they are annulled or rendered powerless, and which would mean that they would still exist long enough to face the judgment of God at the GWT as per Rev 20.
List the enemies.

Don't think so.

Here is something else that I didn't include in my previous reply to this, the word translated "destroyed or put down" doesn't mean that it no longer exists at all but only that it is made powerless or inoperative, see below for the word and it's definition.

katargeó: to render inoperative, abolish
Original Word: καταργέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: katargeó
Phonetic Spelling: (kat-arg-eh'-o)
Definition: to render inoperative, abolish
Usage: (a) I make idle (inactive), make of no effect, annul, abolish, bring to naught, (b) I discharge, sever, separate from.

So it simply means that the spiritual forces with no longer be able do their evil ever again and the same goes for death also, it will not be able to claim any believers but when this happens all of the sinners would have already died.

The fact is, the last human beings to be alive on this earth after Christ returns will be believers but it will be short lived, for immediately after all other enemies are rendered powerless, God will resurrect his saints and transform those who are alive and waiting for his coming and take them alive with the resurrected into heaven.

Then after the GWT Judgment, 2 Peter 3:10-12 tells us that this heaven and earth will be totally destroyed by fire to make way for the New Heaven and Earth and the New Jerusalem to descend to the New Earth from God in heaven and from whence it was taken at the second coming of Jesus.

List the enemies.
That is irrelevant to the point I am making, for the point is that all enemies at that time including Satan will be made inoperative for ever and then at the judgment they will be cast into the lake of fire and destroyed.

The Greek word doesn't mean destroyed as in non existing but only that they will not be able to do anymore evil forever.

katargeó: to render inoperative, abolish
Original Word: καταργέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: katargeó
Phonetic Spelling: (kat-arg-eh'-o)
Definition: to render inoperative, abolish
Usage: (a) I make idle (inactive), make of no effect, annul, abolish, bring to naught, (b) I discharge, sever, separate from.

So all enemies are made inoperative at the same single coming of Jesus that will also result in the final resurrection of the righteous dead and with the rapture of the righteous living following with it and which means that the believers will be the only ones left alive on the earth after the tribulation and just as Jesus said in Matthew 24:29-31.

Matthew 24:29-31

29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days (when all of God's enemies are made inoperative) shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

You trins have totally confused and butchered the truth about this with your un Biblical pre trib rapture doctrine and your confusion about what the 1000 years in Revelation 20 truly is but it is really very simple.

Paul also said "for as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive, but every man in his own order" and here is the order "Christ past tense, the first fruits Matthew 27:51-53 past tense and then after this, they that belong to Christ at his coming future tense".

And what does Paul say next CC?

"Then comes the end, when he will deliver that kingdom up unto God, even the Father (the resurrected and raptured saints)" "after he has put all enemies under his feet including the last enemy which is death"

It couldn't have been put more plainly either.

For Paul himself gives you the answer to not only when the rapture will occur in regards to the tribulation but also why it will happen and it will happen because all enemies involving sin and including sin itself within the believers flesh, will be put under the feet of Jesus so that the believers who are still alive at his coming are alive will not have to die physically.

This is the whole purpose for Paul telling us all of this, for it is all pertaining to the sole future resurrection and rapture of the saints and just like 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 is pertaining to also.

Last edited:
Do you think those in the 1000 year reign will not be able to sin?
The 1000 years of Revelation 20 is symbolism for this present age, and God will bring judgment on this age because of sin, so what would you say then?

However, if the 1000 years was extra to this age as you believe it is, then if Christ put all enemies under his feet including death at his second coming and right before this 1000 years begins, you would have a big contradiction, for we know they couldn't be sinless nor could they be immortal because God tells us that many of them will rise up as enemies of God against the saints and be killed because of it.

These are the problems with your doctrine CC and yet you tenaciously still want to argue for it as though it could ever be correct when it cannot be.

That is what I call a complete willful brainwashing and also very dangerous as well.

Last edited:
That is irrelevant to the point I am making, for the point is that all enemies at that time including Satan will be made inoperative for ever and then at the judgment they will be cast into the lake of fire and destroyed.
How much time between being made inoperative and judgement?

The 1000 years of Revelation 20 is symbolism for this present age,
Sorry...no it's not.

Satan is still active.

and God will bring judgment on this age because of sin, so what would you say then?
God judges sin.
However, if the 1000 years was extra to this age as you believe it is, then if Christ put all enemies under his feet including death at his second coming and right before this 1000 years begins, you would have a big contradiction, for we know they couldn't be sinless nor could they be immortal because God tells us that many of them will rise up as enemies of God against the saints and be killed because of it.
You forget....death....is the wages of sin.
These are the problems with your doctrine CC and yet you tenaciously still want to argue for it as though it could ever be correct when it cannot be.

That is what I call a complete willful brainwashing and also very dangerous as well.

Sorry...no it's not.

Satan is still active.

OF course because Jesus hasn't returned to render him entirely and forever powerless but if you are referring to his being symbolically chained in Rev 20 and the symbolic 1000 years of this age, this is referring only to him not having the power to deceive the nations like he did in the past before Jesus died and rose again and the gospel was preached worldwide.

Read it again, for he is chained only so that he cannot deceive the nations and which means he has no power to stop the church from preaching the gospel to the nations like he did in the OT times.

This only refers to him being restricted because now all power in heaven and earth has been given to Jesus and therefore he is limited to only what Christ allows him to do and nothing more, but when Jesus returns he will be rendered completely powerless and forever also.

You ought to know it is symbolic anyhow, for Satan is a spirit and you cannot chain a spirit, it is only a symbol of the fact that Jesus spoiled his powers and now he only has power as allowed him by Jesus but he no longer has power to keep the nations in darkness of the truth of God like he did in the OT when only the Jews had the oracles of God given to them.
God judges sin.

Of course and how does this contradict anything I said?

It doesn't.
You forget....death....is the wages of sin.
You must not pay attention to anything that you read, for this was my point exactly.

That Christians die physically because although through the cross sin doesn't rule their hearts any longer, it still abides within their flesh and because of this, they will die physically until Jesus returns and puts the enemy of sin existing in their flesh under his feet forever.

This is why instead of Paul focusing on the "harpagmos" or rapture in this chapter, he focuses instead on their being changed in a moment and in the twinkling of an eye and which means that God's enemy of sin within their flesh is once and for all put under the feet of Jesus and made powerless so that they no longer have to die physically and can be taken or raptured into heaven as per 1 Thess. 4:13-18 also.

The change of 1 Corinthians 15:51-553 occurs when sin is completely and forever removed from their being so that they no longer have to die physically and all because Jesus has put all enemies associated with sin under his feet including the sin within the flesh of the believers.

Last edited:
How much time between being made inoperative and judgement?
We are not told this and neither does it matter anyhow, for what matters is that the powers of darkness and sin will be put under the feet of Jesus in the complete sense when he returns and this includes sin within the flesh of the believers who are still alive and waiting for him and this is when the last enemy of death for them will also be made void and powerless also.

Sorry but everything that Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 15 and especially including death being made inoperative, pertains to the single future resurrection at is return and the fact that those saints still alive when he comes will no longer have to die physically, for it is what the whole chapter is written about and there is no way around this either.

Back