Where does the claim of 30,000+ protestant denominations come from and what exactly defines a denomination?

Lastdaysbeliever

I've read, on these very threads, the claim that protestantism is a mass of disunity comprised of 30,000+ denominations. I'm curious what a denomination is defined as. Is it a self governing church? Is it a church that maintains a jurisdiction (semi-autonomous)? I'm just seeking what rc's define as a denomination to justify the claim there are 30,000+ protestant denominations. Now, that said, if we can get past that question, what statistical data base do rc's refer to when they claim there are 30,000+ protestant denominations. There must be an authoritative resource that has compiled such data and I'm curious to see just who/what that is for rc's and how dependable it is as a resource.

I've read, on these very threads, the claim that protestantism is a mass of disunity comprised of 30,000+ denominations. I'm curious what a denomination is defined as. Is it a self governing church? Is it a church that maintains a jurisdiction (semi-autonomous)? I'm just seeking what rc's define as a denomination to justify the claim there are 30,000+ protestant denominations. Now, that said, if we can get past that question, what statistical data base do rc's refer to when they claim there are 30,000+ protestant denominations. There must be an authoritative resource that has compiled such data and I'm curious to see just who/what that is for rc's and how dependable it is as a resource.
Catholics refer to actual statistics? HA. Thats a good one. I've seen as high as 75,000 denoms. The number fluctuates depending on nothing else other than the catholic youre talking to at that particular moment. Its an arbitrary number meant to invoke some faux disunity we allegedly have with one another. Catholics say there are 30K 'different' interpretations on any given doctrine. Yet when asked they can't provide 10 'different' interpretations of anything. Its all talk.

Even if it is 5, that is 4 too many! One faith, one flock, one shepherd, one spirit, one body, one heart and mind, no divisions.
Pre vat 2 catholics vs post vat 2 catholics. You don't agree and there is a split because of it.
Pre vat 1 catholics vs post vat 1 catholics. They didn't agree with papal infallibility.

I can keep going if you like. One faith, one flock? You guys are hilarious today.

The Cathedral of Love Church; The Sanctuary of Jesus Church, Faith Assembly; Walk in the Lord Church, Faithful Love Church; Methodist Church; Lutheran Church; Holiness Church; Holiness Baptist Church; Praise and Prayer Church; Foursquare Baptist Church; Cornerstone Church; and that's just scratching the surface.

Pre vat 2 catholics vs post vat 2 catholics. You don't agree and there is a split because of it.
Pre vat 1 catholics vs post vat 1 catholics. They didn't agree with papal infallibility.

I can keep going if you like. One faith, one flock? You guys are hilarious today.
What part of united with the Vicar of Christ do you not understand?

Coptic, Armenian, Greek Byzantine, Melkite Greek, Latin, etc.

See my post #5, you folks got us beat. It isn't even close.

What part of united with the Vicar of Christ do you not understand?

Coptic, Armenian, Greek Byzantine, Melkite Greek, Latin, etc.
So there is a dispute, someone splits, a division ensues but its cool cuz the other party is no longer catholic right? Split after split after split, division after division but those that think like you are the real catholics? Thats some sketchy logic right there.

Last edited:
So there is a dispute, someone splits, a division ensues but its cool cuz the other party is not longer catholic right? Split after split after split, division after division but those that think like you are the real catholics? Thats some sketchy logic right there.
How so? I am part of the Latin Rite and recognize the primacy of the Pope.

The Cathedral of Love Church; The Sanctuary of Jesus Church, Faith Assembly; Walk in the Lord Church, Faithful Love Church; Methodist Church; Lutheran Church; Holiness Church; Holiness Baptist Church; Praise and Prayer Church; Foursquare Baptist Church; Cornerstone Church; and that's just scratching the surface.
Oh, like Lady of Carmel church, lady of Perpetual hope church, st Louis cathedral, st Peter's basilica, church of Saint Mary's, and a host of other names that still denote an rcc establishment. All non rcc churches have a name doesn't mean they are all teaching different doctrine.

Even if it is 5, that is 4 too many! One faith, one flock, one shepherd, one spirit, one body, one heart and mind, no divisions.
What if I told you there were 223 distinct denominations within rcism? And that number is based on the World Christian Encyclopedia : A Comparative Study of Churches and Religions in the World A.D. 1900-2000 so I present my resource.

Back