Most enjoyable movies?

BJ Bear

I'm wondering which five movies people find the most enjoyable? Its a different question than which do you consider to be the best five movies.

So which five movies have you seen at least three times and would enjoy the most seeing again someday? Thanks.

Hi Beej! Five most enjoyable movies.... that is a toughie, I have enjoyed so many. My first would be the 1959 Ben Hur. I also enjoyed How to Train Your Dragon and It's a Wonderful Life. I have seen all three numerous times.

I saw a movie about a year ago, that I mentioned on this forum. I think it was called Stars in My Crown. Wonderful movie. If it ever comes on a station near you, I would highly recommend it. I have only seen it once, though.

I happen to enjoy many CGI movies. I do like "heavier" movies, but haven't seen most of them several times. I did enjoy Dr. Erlich's Magic Bullet. I have seen it at least twice.

Hi Beej! Five most enjoyable movies.... that is a toughie, I have enjoyed so many. My first would be the 1959 Ben Hur. I also enjoyed How to Train Your Dragon and It's a Wonderful Life. I have seen all three numerous times.

I saw a movie about a year ago, that I mentioned on this forum. I think it was called Stars in My Crown. Wonderful movie. If it ever comes on a station near you, I would highly recommend it. I have only seen it once, though.

I happen to enjoy many CGI movies. I do like "heavier" movies, but haven't seen most of them several times. I did enjoy Dr. Erlich's Magic Bullet. I have seen it at least twice.
Hi Bonnie!

Thanks. I've seen two of the movies you mentioned, Ben Hur and Its A Wonderful Life, and enjoyed both. I'm putting the others on a list of movies to watch with my youngest niece. (The ads I've seen for recent releases don't seem like want to see or must see movies.)

It was a tough question for me too because I like basically good natured movies with a touch of humor like The Princess Bride and The Great Race. There are so many in that class that its difficult to pick just a few.

Lots of CGI movies are great--all 3 Dragon movies, Ratatouille, all the Kung Fu Panda movies, Puss in Boots, the Despicable Me movies, Finding Nemo--just lots. There should be plenty for you and your niece to watch together that would be just as entertaining for you. :)

Godfather
Exorcist
12 Monkeys
Terminator
Robocop (2014 version)
Thank you! Before the panic I was making it a point to see some movies that I missed on the big screen. It just isn't the same on the small screen, even if they are getting bigger.

I've seen the first two and there will probably be futuristic or sci-fi events where one or more of the remaining movies will be screened.

My favorite movie is the animated 2016 film by director Makoto Shinkai called "Kimi no Na wa" ("Your Name" in English). I like it in both the Japanese with subtitles, and the excellent English dub. It is a fantasy romance that involves body swapping (but much better than Freaky Friday!) and time travel (but much better than The Lake House). I dare you not to cry when Taki and Mitsuha catch sight of each other on passing trains. You can buy it on YouTube or order the DVD.

PS: I also love most of the Pixar films, and a few of the Disney films like Wreck It Ralph.

PPS: Among the Studio Ghibli films I like Porco Rosso, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, and Kiki's Delivery Service.

PPPS: The most recent Academy Award Best Picture winner, CODA (Children of Deaf Adults), is an excellent feel-good movie. It is available on Apple TV. The actor who plays the deaf father in the film is actually a deaf actor.

Last edited:
My favorite movie is the animated 2016 film by director Makoto Shinkai called "Kimi no Na wa" ("Your Name" in English). I like it in both the Japanese with subtitles, and the excellent English dub. It is a fantasy romance that involves body swapping (but much better than Freaky Friday!) and time travel (but much better than The Lake House). I dare you not to cry when Taki and Mitsuha catch sight of each other on passing trains. You can buy it on YouTube or order the DVD.

PS: I also love most of the Pixar films, and a few of the Disney films like Wreck It Ralph.

PPS: Among the Studio Ghibli films I like Porco Rosso, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, and Kiki's Delivery Service.

PPPS: The most recent Academy Award Best Picture winner, CODA (Children of Deaf Adults), is an excellent feel-good movie. It is available on Apple TV. The actor who plays the deaf father in the film is actually a deaf actor.
Thanks, I will check them out.

I missed the local EigaFest this year, but hope to make it next year.

Thanks, I will check them out.

I missed the local EigaFest this year, but hope to make it next year.
Since you are interested in Japanese movies, I will mention a few other good animated ones. In 2021 Mamoru Hosoda released Belle, very loosely based on "The Beauty and the Beast" but in a virtual on-line world. Not a great film, but good enough, and the music and the visuals are spectacular. Going back to 2016 there is A Silent Voice, a heart-wrenching story of bullying of a deaf girl and forgiveness. That one is great, but it is long (2 hours) and difficult to watch because of the bullying. The good news is that the bullying is done by 20 minutes in. The rest of the film is redemption and resolution of about a dozen different character arcs of interrelated and flawed characters, with an eventual good ending. This film is notable because it was made by Kyoto Animation, the studio that suffered an arson attack in 2019 that killed half of the 70 person staff. Going back to 2006 there is Mamoru Hosoda's The Girl Who Leapt Through Time whose premise is well described by the title. It is very well done, with some very sad moments.

Hi Bonnie!

Thanks. I've seen two of the movies you mentioned, Ben Hur and Its A Wonderful Life, and enjoyed both. I'm putting the others on a list of movies to watch with my youngest niece. (The ads I've seen for recent releases don't seem like want to see or must see movies.)

It was a tough question for me too because I like basically good natured movies with a touch of humor like The Princess Bride and The Great Race. There are so many in that class that its difficult to pick just a few.
I don't know the age of your niece but I enjoyed The Chronicles of Narnia made 2005. Paddington Bear.
Also My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Bend it Like Beckham, made me laugh and so reminded me of my mixed family.
Then there was enora holmes was on Netflicks.
Another 2 movies was the Book Shop and 6 mins to midnight now on Britbox.
Don't you just hate it when something jumps into your mind and then it just floats out before you get it down on paper.

I enjoyed what was more of a documentary on Simon Weisenthal, I cannot remember the name of it.

I know you said movies. I watched Alaska Daily series and really enjoyed that, it was on Disney Plus in this country but not now.

It is hard to limit it to 5, isn't it. I have a problem. My mind struggles to remember them and then they decide to flood in.

I read a couple of books about Miss Fisher's murder mysteries and enjoyed the series based on them. I hated the movie they made. It was a big let down. I find it strange that things are good when made for TV but they fail when it comes to the movie.

I do like murder mysteries that are not too dark.

Oftentimes, the movie/TV show changes too many things from the book. Like the Agatha Raisin TV show from Britain. I love the books and have read all of them. But I hated the TV show because too many things were changed from the book, and the TV Aggie was nothing like the book one. The Hamish MacBeth TV show was a bit better, but still not up to the books--even the author complained that too much was changed.

I don't know the age of your niece but I enjoyed The Chronicles of Narnia made 2005. Paddington Bear.
Also My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Bend it Like Beckham, made me laugh and so reminded me of my mixed family.
Then there was enora holmes was on Netflicks.
Another 2 movies was the Book Shop and 6 mins to midnight now on Britbox.
Don't you just hate it when something jumps into your mind and then it just floats out before you get it down on paper.

I enjoyed what was more of a documentary on Simon Weisenthal, I cannot remember the name of it.
Thank you, that's more movies for the list! Yesterday, we watched the old Eddie Murphy version of The Haunted Mansion.

Yes. I probably have more floating thoughts than I care to remember. 😊

I'm wondering which five movies people find the most enjoyable?
Lawrence of Arabia - Peter O'Toole shows his greatness!
The Last of Sheila - my favorite 'whodunit' of all-time
Amadeus
Miller's Crossing - [underrated, same year as Goodfellas] - Gabriel Byrne
The French Connection
The Graduate
The Usual Suspects... so much for 5 movies 🤷‍♂️ ;)

Lawrence of Arabia - Peter O'Toole shows his greatness!
The Last of Sheila - my favorite 'whodunit' of all-time
Amadeus
Miller's Crossing - [underrated, same year as Goodfellas] - Gabriel Byrne
The French Connection
The Graduate
The Usual Suspects... so much for 5 movies 🤷‍♂️ ;)
Thank you. I am unfamiliar with Amadeus, except through Falco, and Miller's Crossing. The others I've enjoyed multiple times. (y)

Blazing Saddles
It's a Wonderful Life
The Red Turtle
Maya and the Last Dragon
The Overcomer

I'm not much of a movie buff. I watch movies for enjoyment, not in order to evaluate them. I do tend to avoid "R" rated movies for the most part. However, I did watch "Unplanned" which had an "R" rating (undeserved, I think).

Back