The New Covenant

You continue to illustrate your unwillingness to engage with the what is already in front of you by way of the opening post. Certainly you've read it as your fake quote “agreement from Sinai” and corresponding followup comment that, "I used the word 'agreement' since you insist that a covenant is an agreement. (I agree with that view)." So which is it? Is it the agreement that came to an end or what they agreed to (i.e. the law) that came to an end? You are illustrating that either you don't understand what you just affirmed, or that you are intentionally attempting to mislead the uninformed. Either way you are promoting a false teaching. "All the words of the Lord" were what God and the people AGREED/COVENANTED should be kept. The "words of the Lord" were not the agreement/covenant. You JUST signified your agreement/covenant with that!

God didn't find fault with His perfect law. With whom did He find fault?

Since I doubt you will answer my question--as evidenced by your constant avoidance in addressing what I've already written which reveal how your position is biblically errant--let me just post the answer below:

For if there had been nothing wrong with that first [AGREEMENT], no place would have been sought for another. But God found fault with the people and said:
“The days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah. It will not be like the covenant I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they did not remain faithful to my [AGREEMENT], and I turned away from them, declares the Lord.

That's abundantly clear that the problem was not with the law, but with the people. Why dispute that?

People need to be very concerned for an individual as they observe a false teaching being exposed and the individual continues to promote the same. That indicates that the individual is fully aware of the confusion they are promulgating and that their connection to the Vine has been severed (if they were ever connected).

Check question for “Icy” and “Michael”

So were the words of the Decalogue part of “all the words of the Lord” and part of “All that the Lord has spoken” That were written in the book and spoken to the children of Jacob by Moses

Check question for “Icy” and “Michael”

So were the words of the Decalogue part of “all the words of the Lord” and part of “All that the Lord has spoken” That were written in the book and spoken to the children of Jacob by Moses

Check question: Do you read the responses you receive? I answered saying, "The "words of the Lord" were not the agreement/covenant. You JUST signified your agreement/covenant with that!"

Check question: Do you read the responses you receive? I answered saying, "The "words of the Lord" were not the agreement/covenant. You JUST signified your agreement/covenant with that!"

And you just disagreed with what the Bible specifically states.

What was the Covenant that God declared and commanded the children of Jacob to perform?

👉So he was there with the forty days and forty nights. He neither ate bread nor drank water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exod.34.28&version=ESV

👉 And he declared to you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments, and he wrote them on two tablets of stone.https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deut.4.13&version=ESV

Ummm....

And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments. Exodus 34:28 KJV

And you just disagreed with what the Bible specifically states.

What was the Covenant that God declared and commanded the children of Jacob to perform?

👉So he was there with the forty days and forty nights. He neither ate bread nor drank water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of [OF WHAT THEY AGREED TO], the Ten Commandments.

👉 And he declared to you his [WHAT THEY AGREED TO], which he commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments, and he wrote them on two tablets of stone.

I really feel like you're just trolling.

Let's recall that I wrote the following in my previous post, "God didn't find fault with His perfect law. With whom did He find fault" Since I knew you'd likely ignore the question I posted the biblical answer for you:

Since I doubt you will answer my question--as evidenced by your constant avoidance in addressing what I've already written which reveal how your position is biblically errant--let me just post the answer below:

For if there had been nothing wrong with that first [AGREEMENT], no place would have been sought for another. But God found fault with the people and said:
“The days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah. It will not be like the covenant I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they did not remain faithful to my [AGREEMENT], and I turned away from them, declares the Lord.

That's abundantly clear that the problem was not with the law, but with the people. Why dispute that?

People need to be very concerned for an individual as they observe a false teaching being exposed and the individual continues to promote the same. That indicates that the individual is fully aware of the confusion they are promulgating and that their connection to the Vine has been severed (if they were ever connected).

For someone to paint God out to be the area at fault and not the people is absurd. It wasn't God's perfect law that needed to change, but the people. Say it with me, "God found fault with the PEOPLE"! You see it. Icy it. We all see it. Yet post modern "thinkers" still persist in transmogrifying the text to make God into the problem.

Here's another question I doubt you'll answer as all former Adventists never do. But seeing as how you quoted the above two passages, how many commandments are in the Ten Commandment covenant?

I really feel like you're just trolling.

Let's recall that I wrote the following in my previous post, "God didn't find fault with His perfect law. With whom did He find fault" Since I knew you'd likely ignore the question I posted the biblical answer for you:

For someone to paint God out to be the area at fault and not the people is absurd. It wasn't God's perfect law that needed to change, but the people. Say it with me, "God found fault with the PEOPLE"! You see it. Icy it. We all see it. Yet post modern "thinkers" still persist in transmogrifying the text to make God into the problem.

Here's another question I doubt you'll answer as all former Adventists never do. But seeing as how you quoted the above two passages, how many commandments are in the Ten Commandment covenant?
Jews have always included both the Ten Commandments, as well as the other 513 laws found in the Torah in the Sinaitic Covenant. The 10 are the foundational skeleton that the other 513 flesh out.

Jews have always included both the Ten Commandments, as well as the other 513 laws found in the Torah in the Sinaitic Covenant. The 10 are the foundational skeleton that the other 513 flesh out.

Hi Common Tater,

I'm surmising you're attempting to answer my question: "how many commandments are in the Ten Commandment covenant?"

There are at least two problems in your response.

1. The number of total "laws"--to use your terminology--was not 523, but 613, or 603 if you don't include the Ten Commandments. The odd thing is that this number (613)--which is no where supplied in Scripture--is elevated to scriptural status more so than an actual scriptural numeral such as in the Ten Commandments. In describing/naming the commandments God wrote with His own finger, and spoke in His own voice, He placed a numeral which limits the total. But oddly, there are ppl out there who apparently feel they know more about God's intentions than God Himself and decide that His numeric designation is meaningless and they get to arbitrarily hide it amongst the larger set. They take the Ten and attempt to mash it into the much larger list with the apparent intent of marginalizing that which God set apart. These self-appointed God-helpers wish to disavow all God's statutes, laws, regulations and commandments in one fell swoop and then can't comprehend why Paul refers to the Ten Commandments in the present tense as being "holy, just and good."
  2. The Ten Commandments not only have a numeric designation which limits the total amount to ten (Not 9. Not 613.). If this set of Ten Commandments are this conflated mix up of what certain critics wish to equate with what was done away with and replaced with new rules (supposedly now 1040), what makes these same ppl think that their version of a god who imposed a flawed set of regulations that needed to be abolished could come up with a new set of extended rules (+427!) which would be any less flawed?
My questions for you are
  • Why do you appeal to an uninspired source (Jews) to overturn what an inspired source (Scripture) plainly states? In general, Jews are not really a reliable source to follow. In fact Hebrews 4:11 says we should be careful not to follow their "example of disobedience."
  • After the Bible relates the list of the Ten Commandments it goes on to state that God "added NOTHING more." How do you--as an uninspired, finite and fallible human being--think you can add to this set of numerically defined commandments when God also specifically says, "do not add to it or take away from it"?

I pray this helps.

But for the grace of God go I,cyspark

Hi Common Tater,

I'm surmising you're attempting to answer my question: "how many commandments are in the Ten Commandment covenant?"

1. The number of total "laws"--to use your terminology--was not 523, but 613, or 603 if you don't include the Ten Commandments. The odd thing is that this number (613)--which is no where supplied in Scripture--is elevated to scriptural status more so than an actual scriptural numeral such as in the Ten Commandments. In describing/naming the commandments God wrote with His own finger, and spoke in His own voice, He placed a numeral which limits the total. But oddly, there are ppl out there who apparently feel they know more about God's intentions than God Himself and decide that His numeric designation is meaningless and they get to arbitrarily hide it amongst the larger set. They take the Ten and attempt to mash it into the much larger list with the apparent intent of marginalizing that which God set apart. These self-appointed God-helpers wish to disavow all God's statutes, laws, regulations and commandments in one fell swoop and then can't comprehend why Paul refers to the Ten Commandments in the present tense as being "holy, just and good."
  2. The Ten Commandments not only have a numeric designation which limits the total amount to ten (Not 9. Not 613.). If this set of Ten Commandments are this conflated mix up of what certain critics wish to equate with what was done away with and replaced with new rules (supposedly now 1040), what makes these same ppl think that their version of a god who imposed a flawed set of regulations that needed to be abolished could come up with a new set of extended rules (+427!) which would be any less flawed?
My questions for you are
  • Why do you appeal to an uninspired source (Jews) to overturn what an inspired source (Scripture) plainly states? In general, Jews are not really a reliable source to follow. In fact Hebrews 4:11 says we should be careful not to follow their "example of disobedience."
  • After the Bible relates the list of the Ten Commandments it goes on to state that God "added NOTHING more." How do you--as an uninspired, finite and fallible human being--think you can add to this set of numerically defined commandments when God also specifically says, "do not add to it or take away from it"?

I pray this helps.

The evidence shows that the obsessive in your post over a discrepancy in the numbers given by Common Tater is because the SDA’s have never taught its membership to discern the truth taught in the Bible.

You still have not provided a biblical answer to the questions given to you. That’s ok, continue to troll so the errors of the SDA’s can be made known to the world.

Hi Common Tater,

My questions for you are

I pray this helps.

Sorry, made a mistake on the math. I am well aware there were 613 laws total.

I don't need to take the Jews' word for it. Although I would like to point out that the folks that were actually there and were the ones given the covenant might have a much better understanding of what was being given to them than someone several thousand years later.

Then Moses came and recounted to the people all the words of the LORD and all the ordinances; and all the people answered with one voice and said, “All the words which the LORD has spoken we will do!” Exodus 24:3 NASB

The words of the Lord and all the ordinances, everything covered from Exodus 20 to Exodus 23. And, yes, the laws given in Leviticus are all part of that covenant too.

These are the commandments which the LORD commanded Moses for the sons of Israel at Mount Sinai. Leviticus 27:34 NASB

All those laws were given as a unit. The Jews have always seen it that way. The idea of separating the Law into a moral law, civil law, and ceremonial law was an idea first put forth by Catholic theologian Thomas Aquinas in his work Summa Theoligica. Yes, there are laws that are moral, laws that are civil, and laws that are ceremonial, but they are not three separate laws, rather they are all part of the same Law.

The evidence shows that the obsessive in your post over a discrepancy in the numbers given by Common Tater is because the SDA’s have never taught its membership to discern the truth taught in the Bible.

You still have not provided a biblical answer to the questions given to you. That’s ok, continue to troll so the errors of the SDA’s can be made known to the world.
Well there has to be more then 10 commandments as Jesus gave a new commandment, so that makes 11.

Where in the 10 commandments is this command from God in Jeremiah 17:22 “You shall not bring a load out of your houses on the sabbath day nor do any work but keep the sabbath day holy, as I commanded your forefathers.” Is that a Commandment from God? Does that now make 12?

I know SDAS will say only the 10 commandments written on stone are valid as they where inside the ark and the other commandments in the book of the law are on the outside so not applicable.

But please note Joshua 1:7,8
”Only be strong and courageous, be careful to do according to the law which Moses My servant commanded you, do not turn from it to the right or to the left, so that you may have success wherever you go.
This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written I. It, for then you will make your way prosperous and then you will have success.

Icy only thinks there are 10 commandments to which he follows, Icy will deny they break any of these thus if sin is defined as transgression of the law, Icy is without sin, therefore Icy is deluding themselves and calling God a liar. 1John 1:8-10 “8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.”

SDAS like to say they keep the law 10c’s and feel smug, yet they break the law of do not murder by accusing and being extremely rude to other image bearers of God.

if you rely on the law to save you then a Jesus death was not needed. There is not one sda who has kept the sabbath perfectly and thus if you break one law you break them all.

All have sinned and fallen short.

All have sinned and fallen short.

Hi Formersda,

According to the Bible, "sin is the transgression of the law." For you this is meaningless because for you there is no law. So no, for you your proof text is irrelevant since sin doesn't exist. It's actually you who thinks you are sinless and have no need of Jesus and His saving grace. I totally realize I'm a sinner in need of grace. The question is do you understand the failed logic loop you've created?

Hi Formersda,

According to the Bible, "sin is the transgression of the law." For you this is meaningless because for you there is no law. So no, for you your proof text is irrelevant since sin doesn't exist. It's actually you who thinks you are sinless and have no need of Jesus and His saving grace. I totally realize I'm a sinner in need of grace. The question is do you understand the failed logic loop you've created?
1st John 3:4-1

Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness. 5 You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin. 6 No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him. 7 Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; 8 the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. 9 No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. 10 By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.

Romans 5:13
13 for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law.

Romans 8:1-8
Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Ephesians 1:7
In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,

Romans 7:1-6
Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives? 2 For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband. 3 So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man.

4 Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For while we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were aroused by the Law, were at work in the members of our body to bear fruit for death. 6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

Galatians

10 For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, to perform them.” 11 Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, “The righteous man shall live by faith.” 12 However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, “He who practices them shall live by them.” 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”— 14 in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Do you icy keeps all the laws in the book of the law? Our human nature is sinful, but the righteousness given to us through Jesus atoning death on the cross sets us free from the death penalty. This does not mean we are to continue to sin, but we also cannot say we don’t sin, sin is more than the 10c’s.

Being born again is not a tick box of agreeing to 28 fundamentals that’s being righteous on the outside. It’s God who gives us new birth.

Hi Formersda,

Oh and btw the way you didn’t answer the question about more than 10c’s

Oh and btw the way you didn’t answer the question about more than 10c’s

Hi Formersda,

I know and I didn't because I'm pretty sure you're just trolling. :alien: That's part of the reason why you can never answer how many commandments are in the Ten Commandment covenant. It's an easy question--even a child could answer it.

He proclaimed his covenant—the Ten Commandments—which he commanded you to keep, and which he wrote on two stone tablets.

Obviously there are other commandments which are not part of the ten. Your problem is that you wish to add and subtract from the set written exclusively by God's own finger; exclusively spoken by God to the whole congregation; and exclusively placed inside the ark of the covenant.

I pray this helps.

1st John 3:4-1

Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness. 5 You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin. 6 No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him. 7 Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; 8 the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. 9 No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. 10 By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.

13 for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law.

Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Ephesians 1:7
In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,

Romans 7:1-6
Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives? 2 For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband. 3 So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man.

4 Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For while we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were aroused by the Law, were at work in the members of our body to bear fruit for death. 6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

Galatians

10 For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, to perform them.” 11 Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, “The righteous man shall live by faith.” 12 However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, “He who practices them shall live by them.” 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”— 14 in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Do you icy keeps all the laws in the book of the law? Our human nature is sinful, but the righteousness given to us through Jesus atoning death on the cross sets us free from the death penalty. This does not mean we are to continue to sin, but we also cannot say we don’t sin, sin is more than the 10c’s.

Being born again is not a tick box of agreeing to 28 fundamentals that’s being righteous on the outside. It’s God who gives us new birth.

Hi Formersda,

None of this indicates that you personally believe the law is still in effect and that it convicts you of being a sinner. You're quoting many of the texts I'd quote indicating that the law is still identifies sin, but for you and other critics the law has been abolished. If that is so then you are sinless and you have no need for a Savior.

Tell me, are you a sinner? If so, how do you know?

I pray this helps.

Hi Formersda,

I know and I didn't because I'm pretty sure you're just trolling. :alien: That's part of the reason why you can never answer how many commandments are in the Ten Commandment covenant. It's an easy question--even a child could answer it.

He proclaimed his covenant—the Ten Commandments—which he commanded you to keep, and which he wrote on two stone tablets.

Obviously there are other commandments which are not part of the ten. Your problem is that you wish to add and subtract from the set written exclusively by God's own finger; exclusively spoken by God to the whole congregation; and exclusively placed inside the ark of the covenant.

I pray this helps.
Well that’s good you have admitted there are more commandments, umm I neither have added or subtracted.

Would you admit to Exodus 24:7
Then he took the Book of the Covenant and read it to the people. They responded, “We will do everything the Lord has said; we will obey.”

Are there 2 covenants?

Hi Formersda,

None of this indicates that you personally believe the law is still in effect and that it convicts you of being a sinner. You're quoting many of the texts I'd quote indicating that the law is still identifies sin, but for you and other critics the law has been abolished. If that is so then you are sinless and you have no need for a Savior.

Tell me, are you a sinner? If so, how do you know?

I pray this helps.

As I am born again (my spirit) I am sinless in Christ who died to make propitiation for my sins. I do sin because it is in my nature to sin as a human being, like Paul wrote

Ephesians 2:1-5
As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to livewhen you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. 4 But because of his great love for us,God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.

I have told you previously I sin, not sure why you keep asking if I am a sinner when I have told you so.

But as Paul clearly states that before the Law and 10c’s that where given (mosaic covenant) there was sin, therefore there is sin without the law.

Paul also likens being in the flesh as being under the law, Galatians 5:18-21

18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. 19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Hi Formersda,

I pray this helps.
Btw you didn’t answer the question about keeping all he laws in the book of the law.

Well that’s good you have admitted there are more commandments, umm I neither have added or subtracted.

Would you admit to Exodus 24:7
Then he took the Book of the Covenant and read it to the people. They responded, “We will do everything the Lord has said; we will obey.”

Are there 2 covenants?

Hi Formersda,

When you start claiming that there are actually 11 or 12 commandments you are by necessity adding your 11th and 12th commands to the Ten. Thus your claim is shown to be disingenuous at the very least or perhaps an outright intentional attempt to mislead the uninformed. Either way you're presenting as a false teacher.

Your question above is an attempt to deflect from your own inability to address the question which I just asked again and which you've never answered in previous discussions. Your mishandling of the word of God makes a mockery of the One in whom you claim to believe. God placed a numeral in the title of this particular set of laws which is obviously intended to restrict the total number. You reject this obvious intent and insist that no, it's not in reality Ten Commandments, but 613! Or, maybe just 9, but certainly not Ten. This is what false teachers do--add or subtract from His word to make His word fit their predetermined outcome. I reject your additions and so should all true believers.

SECOND TIME: How many commandments are in the Ten Commandment covenant?

Back