New geological research

SteveB

A series of articles about the discovery of a rare diamond detail a quantity of water stored in the mantle, which is greater than all the oceans of the planet.

Newsweek: Scientists Discover Watery Landscape Over 400 Miles Beneath Earth's Surface.

VICE: Ultra-Rare Diamond Reveals Secrets of Oceans of Water Deep Inside the Earth, Scientists Say.

Jeweller Magazine: Did ancient sea creatures help create the Queen's diamonds?.

BBC: The 'super-deep' royal diamonds revealing Earth's secrets.

ScienceAlert: Diamond From 660 Kilometers Below Earth's Surface Reveals a Water-Rich Environment.

Scientific American: Oceans’ Worth of Water Hidden Deep in Earth, Ultra Rare Diamond Suggests.

Livescience.com: Rare diamonds suggest water lurks much deeper in Earth's interior than scientists thought.

A series of articles about the discovery of a rare diamond detail a quantity of water stored in the mantle, which is greater than all the oceans of the planet.

Newsweek: Scientists Discover Watery Landscape Over 400 Miles Beneath Earth's Surface.

VICE: Ultra-Rare Diamond Reveals Secrets of Oceans of Water Deep Inside the Earth, Scientists Say.

Jeweller Magazine: Did ancient sea creatures help create the Queen's diamonds?.

BBC: The 'super-deep' royal diamonds revealing Earth's secrets.

ScienceAlert: Diamond From 660 Kilometers Below Earth's Surface Reveals a Water-Rich Environment.

Scientific American: Oceans’ Worth of Water Hidden Deep in Earth, Ultra Rare Diamond Suggests.

Livescience.com: Rare diamonds suggest water lurks much deeper in Earth's interior than scientists thought.
A water-saturated environment 660 Km below the crust - trapped within mineral inclusions. 😮

"However, due to the paucity of natural samples from this depth, the nature of this boundary—its composition and volatile fluxes across it—remain debated. " Nature Geoscience 2022

The Bible:

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month - on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst open and the floodgates of the heavens were opened." (Genesis 7:11)

___

A water-saturated environment 660 Km below the crust - trapped within mineral inclusions. 😮

"However, due to the paucity of natural samples from this depth, the nature of this boundary—its composition and volatile fluxes across it—remain debated. " Nature Geoscience 2022

The Bible:

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month - on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst open and the floodgates of the heavens were opened." (Genesis 7:11)

___
Exactly!
Pretty astonishing, to say the least!!! 😎🤭

You do know that the flood myth in the Bible is a retelling of an earlier Babylonian story?

Although ancient flood literature discussions have been thoroughly hashed out here at CARM, the existence of a water-rich environment ~ 600 km below Earth's crust provides an avenue for model enhancement in geophysics.

Are these water "reservoirs" exchanged through plate tectonics between the Earth's crust and the mantle?

From an article published at Brookhaven National Laboratory in 2014:

"I think we are finally seeing evidence for a whole-Earth water cycle, which may help explain the vast amount of liquid water on the surface of our habitable planet. Scientists have been looking for this missing deep water for decades."

"This water is not in a form familiar to us — it is not liquid, ice or vapor. This fourth form is water trapped inside the molecular structure of the minerals in the mantle rock. The weight of 250 miles of solid rock creates such high pressure, along with temperatures above 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, that a water molecule splits to form a hydroxyl radical (OH), which can be bound into a mineral's crystal structure."

__

You do know that the flood myth in the Bible is a retelling of an earlier Babylonian story?
Gilgamesh.

Seems like you're trying to impose your beliefs on history you're letting someone with whom you're unfamiliar tell you about.

For someone who continues claiming that you don't let others tell you what to think, you're sure doing a bang up job of letting others tell you what to think.

Gilgamesh.

Very good, Steve. Have you taken the time to read it?

Seems like you're trying to impose your beliefs on history you're letting someone with whom you're unfamiliar tell you about.

No Steve. I let history inform my beliefs. The Epic of Gilgamesh is a very real historical document. It informs us about the Babylonian myths and legends...what they believed and how those beliefs influenced other neighbouring cultures, including the early Jews.

For someone who continues claiming that you don't let others tell you what to think, you're sure doing a bang up job of letting others tell you what to think.

Where have I said that Steve? You're not making things up about other people are you?

Very good, Steve. Have you taken the time to read it?
Uh.... duh.
A long time ago.
Have you?

No Steve. I let history inform my beliefs.
Curious.
I have been studying history for decades, and have been able to learn to follow Jesus, yet you claim to let history define your beliefs and you wind up completely ignoring Jesus.

Sounds like an ego issue.

The Epic of Gilgamesh is a very real historical document. It informs us about the Babylonian myths and legends...what they believed and how those beliefs influenced other neighbouring cultures, including the early Jews.
So, you were actually there to observe that?
Or are you just believing what some historian told you about a history that they weren't actually present to observe for themselves?

You're not letting history define your beliefs. You're letting people who tell you their opinions about history define your beliefs.

Where have I said that Steve?
In this post I'm responding to.

You're not making things up about other people are you?
Nope.
The truth is far more profound and interesting than you apparently think.

I encourage you to look into forensic speech analysis.

Your own words give me the truth.

Uh.... duh.
A long time ago.
Have you?

Yes, of course I have.

Curious.
I have been studying history for decades, and have been able to learn to follow Jesus, yet you claim to let history define your beliefs and you wind up completely ignoring Jesus.

No Steve, I don't completely ignore Jesus. He's just not that significant in the "grand scheme" of history - his ideas and philosophy weren't really that new when he was alive. Sure, the religion that was created off the back of his teachings has had a significant effect on History, but that required other people.

Sounds like an ego issue.

Really? You'd know all about that wouldn't you Steve?

So, you were actually there to observe that?
Or are you just believing what some historian told you about a history that they weren't actually present to observe for themselves?

Ah, that old chestnut. You do know that is a very silly argument? If you rely on it then you need to apply it to what you think you know about history - and that includes the Bible.

You're not letting history define your beliefs. You're letting people who tell you their opinions about history define your beliefs.

Sigh. No Steve. When we study history (like when we study science) we follow the evidence. The beliefs I hold about history are based on evidence (be that archaeological, based on contemporary writings etc) - of course history is open to a lot more interpretation than hard science but evidence is still king. So, I'm not letting what others tell me to define my beliefs, I'm relying on evidence.

In this post I'm responding to.

Really Steve? The post you are responding to contains the following "You do know that the flood myth in the Bible is a retelling of an earlier Babylonian story?"

So, tell me Steve, where in that post did you get this nonsense from: "For someone who continues claiming that you don't let others tell you what to think, you're sure doing a bang up job of letting others tell you what to think."

Looks like you're making things up about people Steve, why do you do this so often?

Nope.
The truth is far more profound and interesting than you apparently think.

Really Steve, I don't think you really know what truth is.

I encourage you to look into forensic speech analysis.

Why? You clearly have not.

Your own words give me the truth.

Truth is any statement that agrees with reality.

Yes, of course I have.
O..... k.....
No Steve, I don't completely ignore Jesus. He's just not that significant in the "grand scheme" of history - his ideas and philosophy weren't really that new when he was alive. Sure, the religion that was created off the back of his teachings has had a significant effect on History, but that required other people.
Yeah. That resurrection thing relegates him to the trashcan of history as insignificant and without any value.

Seems like you are working overtime, trying to figure out how to dismiss the reality of history, which you want to be irrelevant and meaningless.

You keep telling yourself that.
I'm sure that if you repeat it long enough, frequently enough, there will come a point when it becomes true for you and you alone.
The rest of us will continue to live in the real world.

Really? You'd know all about that wouldn't you Steve?
🤣
Ah, that old chestnut. You do know that is a very silly argument? If you rely on it then you need to apply it to what you think you know about history - and that includes the Bible.
Really?
Considering the things you post, I'm finding it sadly amusing. Your entire tact makes it appear that you actually believe you were there, and observed the events in question.
For example, your comments about Jesus above.... it's clear evidence that you have no idea what Jesus said or did.
He wasn't teaching a philosophy. He was speaking the truth, and that truth got him killed by the polity. His death paid for the entire human race to be forgiven and cleansed of our sin. His resurrection sealed our lives to give us a right relationship with God.

I think that you are absolutely terrified of the biblical narrative.
Otherwise, you could see it similarly to the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Sigh. No Steve. When we study history (like when we study science) we follow the evidence.
I agree. Which is exactly why I posted this OP and the article.
The evidence clearly stated that they've discovered an exceedingly large amount of water stored in the mantle of the planet.

The evidence states that there's a humongous amount of water stored inside the planet, in the mantle.
Numerous previous scientific studies I've found dating back to 2012, and beyond, have discussed the amount of water in the mantle.

You have brought to bear what you think is an historical document discussing a flood, from the Akkadian culture.
The Hebrew people likewise have a document describing a flood event.
It states it differently. Apparently you don't like it, I'm thinking that your dislike is solely because its only stated in a book known as the bible.
I'm pretty sure that if it was in any other book, not having anything to do with God, you'd be perfectly fine with it, and would likely parade it about as a great source of historical evidence of a time when the people of earth experienced a great catastrophe and yet survived, in spite of the magnitude of the event.

But that Latin word, Bible absolutely insenses and inflames your rage.
This outrage you have towards the bible shows that you are not following the evidence, nor are you scientific about it.
You are clearly biased.... for no other reason than the bible talks about God, and the origins of the human race and the cause of our troubles.

The beliefs I hold about history are based on evidence (be that archaeological, based on contemporary writings etc) - of course history is open to a lot more interpretation than hard science but evidence is still king. So, I'm not letting what others tell me to define my beliefs, I'm relying on evidence.

Really Steve? The post you are responding to contains the following "You do know that the flood myth in the Bible is a retelling of an earlier Babylonian story?"
Yep.
The curious thing about this is that you appear to believe that what the author of the Epic of Gilgamesh said is the only possible story about the event in question.

You see, I'm not having a problem with the story of the Epic. Like the writings of Homer, I incorporate them into my understanding of history, and recognize that they were written by different people, from different cultures, in a time from which we have little that has survived.

This "tact" you're following makes it pretty clear that you reject any other narrative that doesn't fit your biases and preconceptions about history.

As this results in your ignoring any inconvenient views of your own beliefs about history, you're clearly not following the evidence nor letting history define itself for us.

As Homer wrote about Greece, Troy, and the experiences of the characters, so the writer of the Epic of Gilgamesh wrote from the Akkadian perspective.
He wrote about what he saw/perceived, based on his beliefs.

As we have the bible to describe the "flood of Noah", we see it from the writer's/narrator's perspective.
In this case, it's accepted that YHVH was narrating the entire book of Genesis to Moses, while he was spending 40-80 days on the mountain with YHVH.

So, I'm thinking that the problem here is that you don't like it this way. And in all honesty, I'm quite alright with your dislike of it.

So, tell me Steve, where in that post did you get this nonsense from: "For someone who continues claiming that you don't let others tell you what to think, you're sure doing a bang up job of letting others tell you what to think."
Observation and following the evidence.
You should try it sometime.
It's far simpler than you apparently thought.

Looks like you're making things up about people Steve, why do you do this so often?
No need to make things up. I'm just asking questions and making observations.
It's known as following the evidence
Really Steve, I don't think you really know what truth is.
From your perspective, I'd agree! It's not possible for anyone to actually know the truth unless they agree with you, and your beliefs.
So, yeah.... making observations and following the evidence.

Why? You clearly have not.
Don't like the truth?

Truth is any statement that agrees with reality.
Indeed. Yes it does!
Which means that you are not following the truth.
Jesus was quite clear about this.
YHVH's Word IS Truth.
He further stated,
I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man comes to the Father except through me!

From Phys.org (10/27/2022):

"Since the birth of the Earth, water has traveled through the Earth's surface and interior, triggering earthquakes and volcanic activity and affecting the evolution of the Earth's interior environment. It is estimated that the amount of water that can be stored in the Earth's interior is several times that of the seawater on the Earth's surface."

aluminous-silica-a-maj.jpg

I wonder if any of the researchers referenced in these articles used diamond anvil cells to observe the properties of substances under extreme pressure.
___

Last edited:

The Bible:

___
Having the water there is a long way from getting it out to cause a flood. This is not talking about huge caverns of water. This is small amounts (relative to the amount of rock) of water bound up in the rock. If you think of it as damp rock you will not be too far wrong.

As that most recently linked article says:

The CaCl2-type aluminous silica contains a larger amount (more than 1 wt.%) of water than stishovite, even above the average mantle temperature.

That water can be released through the movement of the molten rock to zones with different conditions, causing a phase change - a different crystal structure that holds less water.

When water is released from minerals, it reacts with rocks to form hydrous magma, which separates from the plate and moves to the surface.

It is not causing flooding, but earthquakes and volcanoes:

Since the birth of the Earth, water has traveled through the Earth's surface and interior, triggering earthquakes and volcanic activity and affecting the evolution of the Earth's interior environment.

Having the water there is a long way from getting it out to cause a flood. This is not talking about huge caverns of water. This is small amounts (relative to the amount of rock) of water bound up in the rock. If you think of it as damp rock you will not be too far wrong.

As that most recently linked article says:

The CaCl2-type aluminous silica contains a larger amount (more than 1 wt.%) of water than stishovite, even above the average mantle temperature.

That water can be released through the movement of the molten rock to zones with different conditions, causing a phase change - a different crystal structure that holds less water.

When water is released from minerals, it reacts with rocks to form hydrous magma, which separates from the plate and moves to the surface.

It is not causing flooding, but earthquakes and volcanoes:

Since the birth of the Earth, water has traveled through the Earth's surface and interior, triggering earthquakes and volcanic activity and affecting the evolution of the Earth's interior environment.

It's safe to say the research shows that this water is constrained by the molecular structure of the minerals.

___

Back