A Christian Defense Against Charges of Our "Serving Wealth"

Unknown Soldier

In Matthew 6:24 Jesus tells us:

“No one can serve two masters, for a slave will either hate the one and love the other or be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth."

We are charged with serving wealth more than serving God. Many skeptics accuse Christianity of being rooted in money rather than a real God. They say that we preach faith in God and the power of prayer to provide for the needs of others, yet we beg for funds to attain what we need and what we want.

These charges are by no means trivial.

I propose a solution: Let's stop asking people for money. Churches and other Christian organizations should rely on prayer and faith in God to operate. Doing so will be a great apologetic in itself. It will demonstrate God's backing of His church.

Are you with me?

But store your treasures in heaven; Matt 6:20
We are charged with serving wealth more than serving God. Many skeptics accuse Christianity of being rooted in money rather than a real God. They say that we preach faith in God and the power of prayer to provide for the needs of others, yet we beg for funds to attain what we need and what we want.
I propose a solution: Let's stop asking people for money. Churches and other Christian organizations should rely on prayer and faith in God to operate. Doing so will be a great apologetic in itself. It will demonstrate God's backing of His church.
Are you with me?
For the love of money is the root of all evil, and caused some to wander away from the faith. 1 Tim 6:10
Instruct those in this present age not to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things; 1 Tim 6:17

Because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all God’s people— the faith and love that spring from the hope
stored up for you in heaven and has already come to you when you believed the gospel. In the same way, the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world—just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and truly understood God’s grace. Col 1:4-6

Last edited:

For the love of money is the root of all evil, and caused some to wander away from the faith. 1 Tim 6:10
Instruct those in this present age not to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things; 1 Tim 6:17

Because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all God’s people— the faith and love that spring from the hope
stored up for you in heaven and has already come to you when you believed the gospel. In the same way, the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world—just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and truly understood God’s grace. Col 1:4-6
Should we look to God rather than money?

JonHawk said:

Should we look to God rather than money?
You know what's up: 'May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money!'

For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed; but with the unblemished Lamb of God.

For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd; ‘He will lead them to springs of living water.’ Rev 7:17

Last edited:
JonHawk said:

You know what's up: 'May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money!'

For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed; but with the unblemished Lamb of God.

For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd; ‘He will lead them to springs of living water.’ Rev 7:17
I take this as an affirmative.

Are you with me?

Sure .....

Maybe God will start literally raining Gold?

oh wait ....... some people claim just that.

Of course that is commonly followed up with the ..... perfuctionary, give me your money.

Last edited:
Sure .....

Of course that is commonly followed up with the ..... perfuctionary, give me your money.
Why spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy?

Give ear and come to me; Hear, that you may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
my faithful love promised to David. See, I have made Him a witness to the peoples; Acts 13:34

As the rain comes down from heaven...so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; Isaiah 55

The Gentiles Bless Zion
And His glory will be seen upon you. The Gentiles shall come to your light,
And kings to the brightness of your rising. Isaiah 60

Last edited:
Sure .....

yes just as all denominations do to dupe people to sit in their pews and give them money.

Why spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy?

Give ear and come to me; Hear, that you may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
my faithful love promised to David. See, I have made Him a witness to the peoples; Acts 13:34
The only witness and truth that Paul testified of was that he was a sinner oh wretched man that he was.
Not for you, you think His word is on a page of paper.
It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
Not for you for you do not believe His word is in you, only in a man named Paul.
We do who has received from God that what Jesus did in Matt 3:16.
The Gentiles Bless Zion
And His glory will be seen upon you. The Gentiles shall come to your light,
They would come if they didnt see Gods ways as gnostic.

The Gentiles Bless Zion - And His glory will be seen upon you. The Gentiles shall come to your light,
They have come to a new covenant in Christ Jesus.

But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels, 23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect, 24 to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant;

28 Therefore, since we receive a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe; Heb 12

Last edited:
JonHawk said:
Why spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy? Give ear and come to me; Hear, that you may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David. See, I have made Him a witness to the peoples; Acts 13:34
As the rain comes down from heaven...so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; Isaiah 55
The Gentiles Bless Zion - And His glory will be seen upon you. The Gentiles shall come to your light, And kings to the brightness of your rising. Isaiah 60
Gary Mac said:

But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels, 23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect, 24 to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant;

28 Therefore, since we receive a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe; Heb 12
Ye must be born again just as Jesus was in Matt 3:216. Gnostic Right? LOL.
Wrong.
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God; 1 John 5:1

Yes just as Jesus did isn Matt 3:16 no different at all we do.
My God came to me the same way He came to Jesus in Matt 3:16, IN Adam, Abraham, Moses 120, by My Spirit says the Lord.

You can read how God came to all of these you just dont believe Him for to you the excuse that He is gnostic will not allow you to recieve the same as God demands of you if you are to be of Him.
Pauls kingdom for sin couldn't be shaken he never was able to part from it for sure.
Wrong.
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God; 1 John 5:1
Everyone who has received form God that what Jesus did in Matt 3:16 is born of God.

And when ' or if' you ever see Him as He is ye shall be like Him as well, 1 John 3. But because you use the term gnostic as an excuse for His deficiency, no way that you can see Him as He is to be like Him as He commands of you.

yes just as all denominations do to dupe people to sit in their pews and give them money.
What a terrible and antagonistic thing to say about the children of God.

What happened is my church duped me into going into a homeless "village" back in the woods amongst the tents and helping to haul out a dumpster full of trash.

Guys like you mane me sick Mac. You present yourself as the only one who post here who really knows the Father because you claim to be so Christ like....splash a few out of context verses on the screen....when in fact it appears you don't know Christ Jesus at all. Your jar is white washed only on the outside.

What a terrible and antagonistic thing to say about the children of God.
The children of God is like Him, Jesus was His child, His son just as all are who has received from God that what Jesus did in Matt 3:16.

These are antagonistic to the ways of the Father too be like Him as Jesus was like Him for sure.
What happened is my church duped me into going into a homeless "village" back in the woods amongst the tents and helping to haul out a dumpster full of trash.
Depends on your motivation for doing so.

I spent a year in the jungles of West Africa in 2010. My motive was Love. Noting more or anything less than. Most go out on impulse for they think that is the right things to do because some church told them to. And most of these strive to look noble toward these denominations that they may be exalted for their efforts. I have been through many of these missionaries and seen their motives.
Guys like you mane me sick Mac.
Yes I understand, for those of Jesus day, he made the same sick for the very same reason and look how these same treated him for the same reason as me.
You present yourself as the only one who post here who really knows the Father because you claim to be so Christ like
You are there judge LOL.
....splash a few out of context verses on the screen..
Out of your context I agree, but the ways of Jesus is the Father and my Father.
..when in fact it appears you don't know Christ Jesus at all.
You cant know that what you dont have yourself!
Your jar is white washed only on the outside.
To you I agree, but for we who has received from God that what Jesus did, it is the power of God working in me just as He worked His will in Jesus. Jesus obeyed Him to. You should to as well!

They have come to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant;
Therefore, since we receive a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe; Heb 12
You can read how God came to all of these you just dont believe Him for to you the excuse that He is gnostic will not allow you to recieve the same as God demands of you if you are to be of Him.
You're sadly mistaken. I'm not making any excuses for gnostics. They are poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity, their heart is not right in the sight of God.

Sure .....

Yes, that's the problem we're discussing. If God can create a universe and work miracles, then he obviously doesn't need money. His plan of salvation does not depend on donations.

I'm afraid that yes, church groups almost invariably ask for money. If those groups are really supported by God, then it would make more sense that they would offer people provisions rather than ask for provisions.

Guys like you mane me sick Mac. You present yourself as the only one who post here who really knows the Father because you claim to be so Christ like....splash a few out of context verses on the screen....when in fact it appears you don't know Christ Jesus at all. Your jar is white washed only on the outside.
Please don't attack other members on any of my threads. Gary has the right to his opinion and to express that opinion free of insults. Would Jesus approve of what you posted?

Anyway, you are more than welcome to discuss the topic of this thread outlined in the OP. I look forward to your input.

CrowCross said:
Please don't attack other members on any of my threads. Gary has the right to his opinion and to express that opinion free of insults. Would Jesus approve of what you posted?

Anyway, you are more than welcome to discuss the topic of this thread outlined in the OP. I look forward to your input.
Gary Mac has also been quite outspoken on how Paul and those who promote justification by faith turn his stomach. If you can't stand the heat get out of hell's kitchen.

Back