December 25

The Pixie

Another poster made an argument for Christmas being the birthday of Jesus.
Actually, according to 1 Chronicles 24, David defined a 24 period cycle of the priesthood service calendar.

The period of Abijah was the 8th.
Zechariah, John the Baptist's father, was a levite, and his lineage was in the lineage of Abijah. This actually is tied to the Jewish calendar. It's pretty well defined in Jewish culture.

Abijah served his period, and based on the comment of Gabriel, he wound up having a son 9 months later.
In the 6th month of Elizabeth's pregnancy, Mary hears about it and learns she is pregnant with Jesus.
So, 15 months after Zechariah's service, Jesus is born.
Just when do you think that period of service took place?
There are two options.
1- those periods of service are broken into two, one week periods.
2- they're broken into one two week period of service.

The twenty four periods make up the whole year. So, 12 months, 2 periods per month.
The Jewish calendar starts with the Jewish month of Nisan. It's date varies year to year (comparing it to the Julian calendar). Furthermore, the Jewish calendar is a 360 day year. Not the 365 day year, with the leap year.
I suppose if you're really motivated, you can use the Julian calendar, and the Jewish calendar, and work backwards.
That year, the year would have started in either March or April.
I recall reading years ago that Jesus entered Jerusalem on March 6th... but, that's the week leading up to his death (Palm Sunday), not his birth.

Depending on which is used, December 25th is the result.
You're more than welcome to do your own research. I actually want you to.

So, don't disappoint me. Your ongoing desperation at forcing paganism in order to make sure you spend your eternity in the lake of fire is getting old. Actually, it's been old from the get go.
Your longstanding practice of playing leprechaun is hurting you. Regardless of what you want to believe.
There is a huge leap where he suddenly declared: "Depending on which is used, December 25th is the result." However, that is pretty standard for him; it is faith after all. The argument is based on assuming the nativity in Luke is true; I do not for a moment think it is, but will assume it for the sake of the discussion.

So the argument starts with when John the Baptist was conceived. The angel announces this to John's father in a scene introduced:

Luke 1:8 Once when Zechariah’s division was on duty and he was serving as priest before God, 9 he was chosen by lot, according to the custom of the priesthood, to go into the temple of the Lord and burn incense. 10 And when the time for the burning of incense came, all the assembled worshipers were praying outside.

John's father, Zechariah, is a member of the Abijah division of the priesthood, and the announcement was made when that division had special duties at the temple. There were 24 such divisions, each getting their duties in turn. Each duty was from Sabbath to Sabbath, eight days, but overlapping on the Sabbath, so the cycle repeats every 24 weeks.

Two important points to note. The first is that each division served twice a year - and a few served three times - given there are 52 weeks in the year. The second is that when in the year a division served would change year by year. If they served during the first week of April and the third week of September one year, they might serve during the first week of March and the third week of August the year after.

The destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem gives us a good datum point to pin the cycles to. Supposedly Zechariah would have been working 8 to 14 Sept, in 3 BC (according to here). From there, it is assumed John was born some time from 20 to 26 June, 2 BC, and then that Jesus was born six months later. In SteveB's world, "December 25th is the result", but in reality this only gives a approximate date.

Zechariah was working 24 days that year, eight in the summer, and another eight the previous winter, so already we have a range of 16 days as our starting point. We do not know how long after that his wife conceived, but up to a week seems plausible, giving a range of about 28 days. Jesus was about six months later, but was that five and a half months? Or six and a half? This gives a range of about twelve weeks in the year, so to conclude it had to be 25th December is just nonsense!

And even at that, there are some assumptions that are uncertain. It is not clear how they tracked the year to year variation; there are two options, and this assumes one of those based on the figure they want. As the above linked web site say: "This model has been shown to produce results inconsistent with Jesus’ early winter birth, and therefore is not used here." To be clear, they are only trying to show the data is consistent with a 25 December birth, not prove that that was the birthday, so is reasonable for them. But not if you are hoping for proof!

Was Jesus born in 2 BC? Herod died in 4 BC, so if Matthew is correct, then no, Jesus must have been born at least two years earlier. The census of Luke's nativity was AD 6-7, so again a different year. And a different year can move the dating by months. In fact this would suggest it was not 25 December.

To conclude that the specific day was 25 December based on this dating is farcical. It is believing it because you want it to be true. It is faith.

Another poster made an argument for Christmas being the birthday of Jesus.

There is a huge leap where he suddenly declared: "Depending on which is used, December 25th is the result." However, that is pretty standard for him; it is faith after all. The argument is based on assuming the nativity in Luke is true; I do not for a moment think it is, but will assume it for the sake of the discussion.

So the argument starts with when John the Baptist was conceived. The angel announces this to John's father in a scene introduced:

Luke 1:8 Once when Zechariah’s division was on duty and he was serving as priest before God, 9 he was chosen by lot, according to the custom of the priesthood, to go into the temple of the Lord and burn incense. 10 And when the time for the burning of incense came, all the assembled worshipers were praying outside.

John's father, Zechariah, is a member of the Abijah division of the priesthood, and the announcement was made when that division had special duties at the temple. There were 24 such divisions, each getting their duties in turn. Each duty was from Sabbath to Sabbath, eight days, but overlapping on the Sabbath, so the cycle repeats every 24 weeks.

Two important points to note. The first is that each division served twice a year - and a few served three times - given there are 52 weeks in the year. The second is that when in the year a division served would change year by year. If they served during the first week of April and the third week of September one year, they might serve during the first week of March and the third week of August the year after.

The destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem gives us a good datum point to pin the cycles to. Supposedly Zechariah would have been working 8 to 14 Sept, in 3 BC (according to here). From there, it is assumed John was born some time from 20 to 26 June, 2 BC, and then that Jesus was born six months later. In SteveB's world, "December 25th is the result", but in reality this only gives a approximate date.

Zechariah was working 24 days that year, eight in the summer, and another eight the previous winter, so already we have a range of 16 days as our starting point. We do not know how long after that his wife conceived, but up to a week seems plausible, giving a range of about 28 days. Jesus was about six months later, but was that five and a half months? Or six and a half? This gives a range of about twelve weeks in the year, so to conclude it had to be 25th December is just nonsense!

And even at that, there are some assumptions that are uncertain. It is not clear how they tracked the year to year variation; there are two options, and this assumes one of those based on the figure they want. As the above linked web site say: "This model has been shown to produce results inconsistent with Jesus’ early winter birth, and therefore is not used here." To be clear, they are only trying to show the data is consistent with a 25 December birth, not prove that that was the birthday, so is reasonable for them. But not if you are hoping for proof!

Was Jesus born in 2 BC? Herod died in 4 BC, so if Matthew is correct, then no, Jesus must have been born at least two years earlier. The census of Luke's nativity was AD 6-7, so again a different year. And a different year can move the dating by months. In fact this would suggest it was not 25 December.

To conclude that the specific day was 25 December based on this dating is farcical. It is believing it because you want it to be true. It is faith.
52 weeks in the Julian calendar.
The Jewish people didn't use the julian calendar. They had 360 days in their calendar.

They had their own calendar.

It's a lunar calendar. It's actually quite interesting.

The origin of the 24 sections of the levitical system under which Zechariah served is defined in 1 Chronicles 24.

1Ch 24:1-19 WEB 1 These were the divisions of the sons of Aaron. The sons of Aaron: Nadab, Abihu, Eleazar, and Ithamar. 2 But Nadab and Abihu died before their father, and had no children; therefore Eleazar and Ithamar served as priests. 3 David, with Zadok of the sons of Eleazar and Ahimelech of the sons of Ithamar, divided them according to their ordering in their service. 4 There were more chief men found of the sons of Eleazar than of the sons of Ithamar; and they were divided like this: of the sons of Eleazar there were sixteen, heads of fathers’ houses; and of the sons of Ithamar, according to their fathers’ houses, eight. 5 Thus they were divided impartially by drawing lots; for there were princes of the sanctuary and princes of God, both of the sons of Eleazar, and of the sons of Ithamar. 6 Shemaiah the son of Nethanel the scribe, who was of the Levites, wrote them in the presence of the king, the princes, Zadok the priest, Ahimelech the son of Abiathar, and the heads of the fathers’ households of the priests and of the Levites; one fathers’ house being taken for Eleazar, and one taken for Ithamar.

7 Now the
first lot came out to Jehoiarib,
the second to Jedaiah, 8
the third to Harim,
the fourth to Seorim, 9
the fifth to Malchijah,
the sixth to Mijamin, 10
the seventh to Hakkoz,
the eighth to Abijah, 11
the ninth to Jeshua,
the tenth to Shecaniah, 12
the eleventh to Eliashib,
the twelfth to Jakim, 13
the thirteenth to Huppah,
the fourteenth to Jeshebeab, 14
the fifteenth to Bilgah,
the sixteenth to Immer, 15
the seventeenth to Hezir,
the eighteenth to Happizzez, 16
the nineteenth to Pethahiah,
the twentieth to Jehezkel, 17
the twenty-first to Jachin,
the twenty-second to Gamul, 18
the twenty-third to Delaiah, and
the twenty-fourth to Maaziah. 19

This was their ordering in their service, to come into Yahweh’s house

according to the ordinance given to them by Aaron their father, as Yahweh, the God of Israel, had commanded him.

I did a search using the parameter

Levitical priesthood calendar

I encourage you to do likewise.

Here's the first result that came back.

There are plenty more.

That said, it's now necessary to ascertain what time of year each section served.

Here's a Wikipedia article on this.

Here's another article.

My search parameter is

levitical priesthood service calendar, times of service

I'm thinking that since you're obviously desperate to discredit me, you're more than capable of handling your own sesrch.

I think it's further important to note that my search didn't include the "origin of December 25th as Jesus' birthday."
You are however welcome to do that yourself.

That said-- you're the one who made this about the 25th of December, apparently because you want it to be a pagan influenced holiday, so you can dismiss it.

Which is rather curious, because you have previously established that you believe that Jesus actually did exist and was crucified.

52 weeks in the Julian calendar.
The Jewish people didn't use the julian calendar. They had 360 days in their calendar.

They had their own calendar.

It's a lunar calendar. It's actually quite interesting.
All of which makes the calculation even more dubious. And how come they got the number of days in a year wrong, when they had God to tell them?

The origin of the 24 sections of the levitical system under which Zechariah served is defined in 1 Chronicles 24.
Yes, I know.

I did a search using the parameter

Levitical priesthood calendar

I encourage you to do likewise.
Why? This is basic stuff; there is nothing contentious about it.

I'm thinking that since you're obviously desperate to discredit me, you're more than capable of handling your own sesrch.
Which I did for the OP.

It is interesting that you do not dispute anything I said. You present this diatribe about the calendar and divisions, but none of it actually disagrees with what I said in the OP.

You do not appear to dispute that
  • the dates changed each year
  • we do not know what year Jesus was born in but it was unlikely to be 2 BC
  • we do not know when in the week of duties the angel appeared
  • we do not know if the angel appeared during the first week, or the second week nearly six months later
  • we do not know how long after that Elizabeth conceived
  • we do not know exactly when Mary conceived after that
And yet somehow you feel certain we can determine the date down to one specificday. It is amazing what faith can do.

That said-- you're the one who made this about the 25th of December, apparently because you want it to be a pagan influenced holiday, so you can dismiss it.
If you think back to our previous discussion, I was saying it was calculated by working back from Jesus conception, which was assumed to be the same day of the year as his death. I was quite clear that I do not think it was due to pagan influence.

The post is here.

Born on December 25 is a guess, based on the assumption that Jesus was around for an exact number of years. That is to say, he was conceived on the same day of the year as he died. Someone did some calculations, based on his best guess of when Jesus was crucified, and 25 December is nine months later. So no pagan influence, but hardly something that lends credibility to the gospels.

So once again you are proved wrong by the atheist. Can you admit it? Or pride too great?

Which is rather curious, because you have previously established that you believe that Jesus actually did exist and was crucified.
Maybe you should have checked what I said before putting your foot in your mouth.

All of which makes the calculation even more dubious. And how come they got the number of days in a year wrong, when they had God to tell them?

Yes, I know.

Why? This is basic stuff; there is nothing contentious about it.

Which I did for the OP.

It is interesting that you do not dispute anything I said. You present this diatribe about the calendar and divisions, but none of it actually disagrees with what I said in the OP.

You do not appear to dispute that
  • the dates changed each year
  • we do not know what year Jesus was born in but it was unlikely to be 2 BC
  • we do not know when in the week of duties the angel appeared
  • we do not know if the angel appeared during the first week, or the second week nearly six months later
  • we do not know how long after that Elizabeth conceived
  • we do not know exactly when Mary conceived after that
And yet somehow you feel certain we can determine the date down to one specificday. It is amazing what faith can do.

If you think back to our previous discussion, I was saying it was calculated by working back from Jesus conception, which was assumed to be the same day of the year as his death. I was quite clear that I do not think it was due to pagan influence.

The post is here.

Born on December 25 is a guess, based on the assumption that Jesus was around for an exact number of years. That is to say, he was conceived on the same day of the year as he died. Someone did some calculations, based on his best guess of when Jesus was crucified, and 25 December is nine months later. So no pagan influence, but hardly something that lends credibility to the gospels.

So once again you are proved wrong by the atheist. Can you admit it? Or pride too great?

Maybe you should have checked what I said before putting your foot in your mouth.
I'm not the one who is having a problem with the birth of Jesus taking place on December 25th.

You're the one who needs it to be sourced by paganism.

I'm not the one who is having a problem with the birth of Jesus taking place on December 25th.
Okay, cool.

Actually I said:

Okay, cool.

Actually I said:

I didn't need it to "lend credibility to the gospels" to celebrate the arrival of God's Salvation to the human race. The gospels simply document the event and give it context.

I note that there are numerous groups who celebrate the arrival of Jesus, as the promised salvation of God.

The angels-- a great chorus singing praise to God. They bring the message of great joy, and promise to the least among the people-- the shepherds.
The shepherds come to see this wonder and rejoice in God's salvation come to live among humanity.
The wise men, bring gifts, rejoicing in the majesty, and greatness of God's Salvation to mankind..... the King.
And Mary takes all this in and stores it in her heart.
Several days later, Simeon, and Joanna come, and take great joy in the arrival of God's Promised Messiah, recognizing him as the fulfillment of the promises of God, down throughout the ages.

I'd say that's a pretty powerful collection of reasons to rejoice, and celebrate the arrival of the Promised Messiah. God's Salvation to not just Israel, but the whole world!

It did not take place on that date. However, solstice celebrations were very popular.

Question: Why were shepherds in fields watching their flocks in the middle of winter?

It did not take place on that date. However, solstice celebrations were very popular.
Only one problem.
Solstice is 4 days earlier.
Why pick the 25th if the celebration is to be a Solstice celebration?
Do you really think that

Oh, wait! That's right!
People back then were too stupid to know any better.

Just like the Roman soldiers were too stupid to actually know if someone (specifically Jesus) was dead, but somehow knew everyone else was dead.
Or the Jewish leaders (the religious class, who were the people who sacrificed animals) knew that animals were dead, but weren't actually capable of knowing that Jesus was dead.

I get that as a dedicated unbeliever, you need to make sure that everyone believes you, instead of actually learning the truth, but just how stupid do you think people are?
Or... perhaps more accurately, just how stupid did you want people to be?

I used to not really care about Christmas beyond it being a day off work, during the winter, and being able to spend time with loved ones.
I then began running into people who wanted to take that away, and make a mockery for doing that, by using the birth of Jesus to justify it.

If you don't want to celebrate the birth of the man who came to save us from our sin, don't.
I'm thinking that your employer would be grateful if you worked on a day when everyone else was celebrating. Just like Scrooge in Christmas Carol.

The Bible gives us key elements to work it out.
Until those mockers showed up, I never bothered with them.
And once the mockers leave it alone, I'll go back to my life and continue celebrating the birth of the man who came to save us from our sin.

Question: Why were shepherds in fields watching their flocks in the middle of winter?
Why indeed! Are you acquainted with the latitude of the city of Bethlehem?
I didn't used to be.
31.7054° North.
Are you further acquainted with the altitude of Bethlehem?
I didn't used to be.
2550'
I grew up in Southern California.
It's 33° N.

I had to check the latitude of where 31.8667° North was along the western coast of North America.
Ensenada Mexico is some 15 miles North of Bethlehem Israel.

So.... while there is indeed snow in Bethlehem at times, it's far enough south to be a fairly warm environment.
Furthermore, when do domesticated animals cease needing to be guarded from thieves, wolves, and feeding/watering?
Let me know the answers to these questions and I'll consider them.

Last I'd read.... sheep are incredibly stupid animals and need constant protection and feeding.

In my opinion it doesn't matter what day Jesus was born. If it were Scripture, and therefore God, would tell us. What IS important is as revealed in Scripture, that He fulfilled all messianic prophecies, that He submitted to the will of the Father, was crucified, died, was buried and rose on the third day and ascended to heaven where He sits at the right hand of the Father. Our propotiation, for those who know Him as Lord, God and Savior. Now that is truth I can get behind. Arguing over whether He was born on the 25th of December, or March 25th, or any other date is simply argumentation for the sake of argumentation.

In my opinion it doesn't matter what day Jesus was born.
agreed
If it were Scripture, and therefore God, would tell us.
i disagree.
God never told us what day, time and year the earth and cosmos were created.
He just says- in the beginning...

What IS important is as revealed in Scripture, that He fulfilled all messianic prophecies, that He submitted to the will of the Father, was crucified, died, was buried and rose on the third day and ascended to heaven where He sits at the right hand of the Father.
AGREED!
Our propotiation, for those who know Him as Lord, God and Savior. Now that is truth I can get behind.
Indeed!
Arguing over whether He was born on the 25th of December, or March 25th, or any other date is simply argumentation for the sake of argumentation.
In general, I agree.
There are however key elements that tell us the time of the year.

Only one problem.
Solstice is 4 days earlier.
Why pick the 25th if the celebration is to be a Solstice celebration?
Do you really think that
For information:

Christians were still debating the date of the nativity into the third century. In the late second century Clement of Alexandria [150-215 CE] contended the birth date was 17 November 3 BCE. He dismissed other speculative dates [19 April and 20 May] as pure superstition. Yet other suggested dates were 28 March and 2 April but not 25 December. A date for 28 March continued to be promulgated and later in the third century the De Pascha Computus [243 CE] maintained that the Creation commenced with the vernal equinox [i.e. 25 March] and that 28 March [the fourth day] was when the Sun was created and hence the Christ the new Sun of Righteousness was therefore born on 28 March.

However, as far as can be ascertained it was not until the 330s that the date 25 December was being promoted in the West as the feast day for the birth of the Christ, with the earliest reference found in the Philocalian Calendar of 336 CE; although then, as now, it was not universally accepted and some churches still held [as they do today] to 6 January. It has been postulated that a definite date was required at that point because of doctrinal disputes pertaining to the human and divine natures of the Christ.

An early fourth century homily De solstitia et aequinoctia conceptionis et nativitatis Domini Nostri Iesu Christi et Iohannis Baptista states that 25 December should not be considered in isolation but as part of a cosmic symbolic system. According to its [unknown] author John the Baptist was born exactly six months before the Christ on the summer solstice and thus the Christ was conceived on the vernal equinox. That author sees no issue with the Christ being born on the same day as the feast day of Sol Invictus since the Christ is the true sun of justice anyway.

It therefore appears that for Christians the cosmic nature and reality of Sol was undeniable as was its potential for cosmic symbolism. Accepting this however, did not require them to have any involvement with the deity Sol Invictus and the various homilies that deal with the topic, while routinely referring to such things as the winter solstice rarely mention or condemn any non Christian feasts held on 25 December. That non-Christians already celebrated this date as the feast of Sol Invictus seems to have been of no concern and is unlikely to have played any part in that later decision.

Your knowledge of animal husbandry in this period is interesting. The winter temperatures in that part of the world can be quite cold and recent records show it can get down to 1 degree C. More to the point given that plant growth slows or ceases in the winter months what would these flocks be feeding on? In many ancient communities livestock was usually taken into human dwellings in winter months.

For information:
?
Ah...
Let me guess.... you actually believe that I hadn't previously learned these things?

Christians were still debating
Jesus followers throughout will be debating a variety of things until Jesus returns.
Why would I be bothered with this?
the date of the nativity into the third century. In the late second century Clement of Alexandria [150-215 CE] contended the birth date was 17 November 3 BCE. He dismissed other speculative dates [19 April and 20 May] as pure superstition. Yet other suggested dates were 28 March and 2 April but not 25 December. A date for 28 March continued to be promulgated and later in the third century the De Pascha Computus [243 CE] maintained that the Creation commenced with the vernal equinox [i.e. 25 March] and that 28 March [the fourth day] was when the Sun was created and hence the Christ the new Sun of Righteousness was therefore born on 28 March.
Ok.

However, as far as can be ascertained it was not until the 330s that the date 25 December was being promoted in the West as the feast day for the birth of the Christ, with the earliest reference found in the Philocalian Calendar of 336 CE; although then, as now, it was not universally accepted and some churches still held [as they do today] to 6 January. It has been postulated that a definite date was required at that point because of doctrinal disputes pertaining to the human and divine natures of the Christ.
And?
Just so that we're clear, I'm going to continue to celebrate the birth of God's Messiah on December 25th.
You're more than welcome to extricate yourself anytime, so you can celebrate nothing, because you don't want to celebrate the source of your life, and freedom from judgment due to sin.

An early fourth century homily De solstitia et aequinoctia conceptionis et nativitatis Domini Nostri Iesu Christi et Iohannis Baptista states that 25 December should not be considered in isolation but as part of a cosmic symbolic system. According to its [unknown] author John the Baptist was born exactly six months before the Christ on the summer solstice and thus the Christ was conceived on the vernal equinox. That author sees no issue with the Christ being born on the same day as the feast day of Sol Invictus since the Christ is the true sun of justice anyway.

It therefore appears that for Christians the cosmic nature and reality of Sol was undeniable as was its potential for cosmic symbolism. Accepting this however, did not require them to have any involvement with the deity Sol Invictus and the various homilies that deal with the topic, while routinely referring to such things as the winter solstice rarely mention or condemn any non Christian feasts held on 25 December. That non-Christians already celebrated this date as the feast of Sol Invictus seems to have been of no concern and is unlikely to have played any part in that later decision.

Your knowledge of animal husbandry in this period is interesting. The winter temperatures in that part of the world can be quite cold and recent records show it can get down to 1 degree C.
what's curious about the weather is that i have yet to hear that sheep/goats stop eating and enter hibernation for the winter.

In Michigan, the following is the recommended practice for caring for sheep.

That's at a latitude of 41.7665°.
A full ten degrees further north than Bethlehem.

More to the point given that plant growth slows or ceases in the winter months what would these flocks be feeding on?
Really?
interesting....
apparently you never bothered with your own research.
that's disappointing.
i grew up on the transition zone of city/dairy. The cattle ranchers had huge barns filled with hay bales. Apparently it kept rather well.

I'm guessing that the people who wrote this article did so based on extensive experience. So, why would the people in the ancient world not have gained such extensive experience too? Especially since they were shepherds dating back at least 2000 years in their culture.

In many ancient communities livestock was usually taken into human dwellings in winter months.
So, they fed them human food too?
I'm curious...
Just how many sheep do you think that they could bring into their dwellings?
1, 2, 5, 10, 50, 100, more?
These people were shepherds. They weren't hobbyists. This culture was not an artisan operation.

In your mind. Apparently it's working quite well for them.
You are the one who said "stupid".

They still use their own calendar.

And yet everyone else knows there are 365 and a bit days in the year. Why would anyone cling to an idea they know is obviously wrong?

Oh, religion.

?
Ah...
Let me guess.... you actually believe that I hadn't previously learned these things?
Evidently not.
And?
Just so that we're clear, I'm going to continue to celebrate the birth of God's Messiah on December 25th.
Nobody cares!
You're more than welcome to extricate yourself anytime, so you can celebrate nothing, because you don't want to celebrate the source of your life, and freedom from judgment due to sin.

what's curious about the weather is that i have yet to hear that sheep/goats stop eating and enter hibernation for the winter.
Have you heard of winter fodder?
In Michigan, the following is the recommended practice for caring for sheep.
Modern day sheep have been quite intensively bred.
So, they fed them human food too?
Livestock often lived in the same dwellings as humans. That is something else you need to read up.
I'm curious...
Just how many sheep do you think that they could bring into their dwellings?
1, 2, 5, 10, 50, 100, more?
These people were shepherds. They weren't hobbyists. This culture was not an artisan operation.
And the flock would no doubt have been dispersed amongst its various owners. However, we are dealing with a delightful story and not historical fact.

You are the one who said "stupid".
To the atheists today, yep.
To the atheists today, apparently the people back then were not capable of knowing how life works.
I've long been intrigued by the way atheists have demeaned, belittled, mocked and disdained people in the ancient world, as though they were simply too stupid to actually succeed in knowing how to live their lives well.
Especially when I look at the world today.
We may indeed be technologically advanced, but modern humans are incredibly dense, and are presently on the verge of destroying the world on which we live.
And yet everyone else knows there are 365 and a bit days in the year. Why would anyone cling to an idea they know is obviously wrong?
And?
It's curious how it took several thousand years to get to the 365.25 day calendar, and we're still struggling with the consequences of nature's changes.
The Jewish people seem to have worked out whatever problems they had, and have been successful in using their calendar for the past at least 4000 years.

Oh, religion.
Yep.
A better way of living.

Jas 1:27 WEB Pure religion and undefiled before our God and Father is this: to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

So.... yeah as a matter of fact... I have yet to see a better way. After watching the 3rd quarter of the 20th century and reading about the 2nd quarter, and hearing about it from my grandfather and his generation....
Atheists sure failed catastrophically in their bid for global governance.

Evidently not.
I'm sorry. Is it that I hadn't detailed enough of my education for you that you thought you stumbled upon something I missed?
I've previously learned on this forum that atheists frown on Jesus followers actually being educated and after having to read such lengthy, and detailed descriptions of our education and academic experiences, still mock us, but the mockery takes on a different tone... we're now know-it-all's, and are still too stupid to understand anything we learned.

So, you'll have to excuse me for disregarding this comment by you as one who loves darkness rather than the light.

Nobody cares!
exactly! You don't! Yet here you are, wasting your time arguing about topics you claim to not give a rat's tail in Hades about.
So, if you don't actually care, what did you think you were going to accomplish by your posts?

Have you heard of winter fodder?
And?

Modern day sheep have been quite intensively bred.
And?
Apparently from ancient world sheep...
darn those pesky ancient world sheep. Rather curious that they actually survived long enough to give us modern sheep.
goats too, apparently.
Livestock often lived in the same dwellings as humans. That is something else you need to read up.
I know, based on the biblical description, that on Nisan 10, every family brought a sheep into their house and watched it for 4 days, and then they killed it for passover/Pesach.

You've yet to give me any reason to believe that you actually know enough about ancient Israeli culture to believe what you think.

And the flock would no doubt have been dispersed amongst its various owners. However, we are dealing with a delightful story and not historical fact.
So, there were no actual historical shepherds who were large scale operators?

For someone who claims they don't actually care, you sure seem to be confused about what that means.

To the atheists today, yep.
To the atheists today, apparently the people back then were not capable of knowing how life works.
You already admitted they thought there were 360 days in the year.

Do you think they were right, Steve?

I've long been intrigued by the way atheists have demeaned, belittled, mocked and disdained people in the ancient world, as though they were simply too stupid to actually succeed in knowing how to live their lives well.
Especially when I look at the world today.
We may indeed be technologically advanced, but modern humans are incredibly dense, and are presently on the verge of destroying the world on which we live.
And yet it was you who pointed out they thought there are 360 days in a year.

And they were WRONG.

The implication for this thread is that ay claim of an exact date for Christmas is flawed.

It's curious how it took several thousand years to get to the 365.25 day calendar, and we're still struggling with the consequences of nature's changes.
The Jewish people seem to have worked out whatever problems they had, and have been successful in using their calendar for the past at least 4000 years.
So you do think there are 360 days in a year?

I'm sorry. Is it that I hadn't detailed enough of my education for you that you thought you stumbled upon something I missed?
I've previously learned on this forum that atheists frown on Jesus followers actually being educated and after having to read such lengthy, and detailed descriptions of our education and academic experiences, still mock us, but the mockery takes on a different tone... we're now know-it-all's, and are still too stupid to understand anything we learned.
So, you'll have to excuse me for disregarding this comment by you as one who loves darkness rather than the light.
You can skip the appeals to status, it is a standard dishonest argument tactic. [See R H Thouless for more]
exactly! You don't!
My comment was referring to how you spend one day of the year. Concerning that specific day you are little different from millions of others.

Hence nobody cares.
Yet here you are, wasting your time arguing about topics you claim to not give a rat's tail in Hades about.
So, if you don't actually care, what did you think you were going to accomplish by your posts?
My initial remark pertained to your insistence that 25 December is the actual date on which Jesus of Nazareth was born.

The fact is that we no idea of his date of birth . Nor does either birth narrative make any reference to the time of year.

So what biblical textual evidence are you using in support of your contention?

Back