FISH dishes

balshan

I am looking for different fish dishes:

we make fish cakes, fish taco, a simple Asian baked fish and a simple fish pie.

The fish pie is either fillets or canned fish in flavoured white sauce topped with mash potato.

I am not a fish lover.

I am looking for different fish dishes:

we make fish cakes, fish taco, a simple Asian baked fish and a simple fish pie.

The fish pie is either fillets or canned fish in flavoured white sauce topped with mash potato.

I am not a fish lover.
Abalone porridge (abalone, rice, and salt) tastes great and can sometimes settle a sensitive stomach.

Salmon and bowtie pasta with a red sauce and a green salad hits the spot for me. The salmon is grilled and the red sauce is made from the usual suspects, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and spice to taste. I like basil, oregano, and salt.

Clams and equal parts of cream cheese and sour cream and a little lemon juice makes a good dip for potato chips or veggies.

Abalone porridge (abalone, rice, and salt) tastes great and can sometimes settle a sensitive stomach.

Salmon and bowtie pasta with a red sauce and a green salad hits the spot for me. The salmon is grilled and the red sauce is made from the usual suspects, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and spice to taste. I like basil, oregano, and salt.

Clams and equal parts of cream cheese and sour cream and a little lemon juice makes a good dip for potato chips or veggies.
I must admit I have not tried abalone which is strange as dad built a lot of fishing boats for the industry. Most abalone here goes to Asia, so it is expensive if you can find it.

Those dishes sound tasty.

I must admit I have not tried abalone which is strange as dad built a lot of fishing boats for the industry.
How cool!
Most abalone here goes to Asia, so it is expensive if you can find it.
The price is also high here. We have wack-a-doodle rules about when, where, and how much abalone can be caught, and by whom.
Those dishes sound tasty.
Thanks. I have simple tastes so nothing I make is difficult or complex.

Since you mentioned fish cake do you like or make pancit? Now that I write about it I'm wondering why I never learned to make it? It's definitely a top ten fish dish in my book.

How cool!

The price is also high here. We have wack-a-doodle rules about when, where, and how much abalone can be caught, and by whom.

Thanks. I have simple tastes so nothing I make is difficult or complex.

Since you mentioned fish cake do you like or make pancit? Now that I write about it I'm wondering why I never learned to make it? It's definitely a top ten fish dish in my book.
We do an English recipe with mashed potato, parsley and coated in breadcrumbs. Also we make a thai fish cake. This has lime juice, curry paste, spring onions, crab meat etc in it. It depends on the recipe. I will always change onions and garlic to spring onions which I can tolerate. I prefer simple recipes. Not sure what pancit is?

Asian baked fish is yummy. fillets baked a few minutes in a sauce using soy and I have forgotten what else.

I think time can be against us and that is why we do not get to do everything we want to do.

We do an English recipe with mashed potato, parsley and coated in breadcrumbs. Also we make a thai fish cake. This has lime juice, curry paste, spring onions, crab meat etc in it. It depends on the recipe.
Those sound delicious. Since I went low carb a few years ago the English recipe would have be a "bad" day recipe.
I will always change onions and garlic to spring onions which I can tolerate. I prefer simple recipes. Not sure what pancit is?
Well, I should thank you because I got an education while looking for a recipe. It was just a guess on the spelling and it turns out it is more than dish. It is a type of noodle.

The neighbors who introduced me to it always made it with fishcake, but people use whichever meat or sea product they prefer.

This recipe with fishcake sounds similar or is what I had in mind.
Asian baked fish is yummy. fillets baked a few minutes in a sauce using soy and I have forgotten what else.
This discussion is making me hungry.
I think time can be against us and that is why we do not get to do everything we want to do.
Yes, you've nailed it.

T
Those sound delicious. Since I went low carb a few years ago the English recipe would have be a "bad" day recipe.

Well, I should thank you because I got an education while looking for a recipe. It was just a guess on the spelling and it turns out it is more than dish. It is a type of noodle.

The neighbors who introduced me to it always made it with fishcake, but people use whichever meat or sea product they prefer.

This recipe with fishcake sounds similar or is what I had in mind.

This discussion is making me hungry.

Yes, you've nailed it.
That does sound tasty. As you are low carb what would you use instead of noodles? Hope you have sated your appetite by now.

T

That does sound tasty. As you are low carb what would you use instead of noodles?
My go to substitutions for simple carbs are Napa cabbage, celery, and seaweed.
Hope you have sated your appetite by now.
lol. Today is going to be a bad day, it is going to be a Double-Double (a big cheeseburger) from In n Out for dinner. I still get it with the bun instead of wrapped in lettuce. :)

I think I've left a few fish dishes here previously. I also remember there were dietary restrictions, balshan, but I may not remember all of what they were; apologies if I forget.

One of my favorites is to do salmon as a sheet pan dinner. Cut up and lightly coat potatoes in oil and spices. Bake on a large sheet pan for 30 minutes (stirring / flipping once halfway thru). Push potatoes to the side the pan, then add a pound of asparagus similarly coated and spiced. Make enough room to add 2-4 salmon fillets. You can do the latter plain, but I've topped with honey mustard coated and covered with bread crumbs. I've also done a blend of powdered ginger, powdered mustard and smoked paprika - topped with lemon slices. Continue baking for 15 minutes or until the fish is done.

Another favorite is white fish topped with roasted poblanos, capers, crushed sunflower seeds, salt pepper and olive oil. It's a tapenade of sorts, but from south America. Goes great with rice and a nice green salad.

I can post specifics if anyone wants them...

I think I've left a few fish dishes here previously. I also remember there were dietary restrictions, balshan, but I may not remember all of what they were; apologies if I forget.

One of my favorites is to do salmon as a sheet pan dinner. Cut up and lightly coat potatoes in oil and spices. Bake on a large sheet pan for 30 minutes (stirring / flipping once halfway thru). Push potatoes to the side the pan, then add a pound of asparagus similarly coated and spiced. Make enough room to add 2-4 salmon fillets. You can do the latter plain, but I've topped with honey mustard coated and covered with bread crumbs. I've also done a blend of powdered ginger, powdered mustard and smoked paprika - topped with lemon slices. Continue baking for 15 minutes or until the fish is done.

Another favorite is white fish topped with roasted poblanos, capers, crushed sunflower seeds, salt pepper and olive oil. It's a tapenade of sorts, but from south America. Goes great with rice and a nice green salad.

I can post specifics if anyone wants them...
Oh you are right about dietary restrictions but we are used to adapting recipes. Thank you for your consideration. You have a good memory.

Oh my goodness they are tasy and the tray bake is easy. That would be nice to know the extract amount especially for the tapenade of sorts.

I love to try and keep the recipe forum going. First I like different recipes and second we can see that we have some things in common. It is nice to get along.

Oh you are right about dietary restrictions but we are used to adapting recipes. Thank you for your consideration. You have a good memory.

Oh my goodness they are tasy and the tray bake is easy. That would be nice to know the extract amount especially for the tapenade of sorts.

I love to try and keep the recipe forum going. First I like different recipes and second we can see that we have some things in common. It is nice to get along.
I agree completely about needing to focus on the things that bring us together, rather than the ones which divide us. Plus: food! Who doesn't like food?

Here's the recipe for the fish with poblanos. I've used regular cod and haddock, so feel free to substitute with whatever you can find. The only trick is that a flaky fish will fall apart when you try to serve it. Garnish is optional...
  • Topping
  • 2 whole poblano(s) - recipe actually says 4 Anaheim or California chiles
  • 2 TBS sunflower seeds - salted and roasted
  • 1 clove(s) garlic - crushed/minced
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper - fresh
  • 2 TBS olive oil - extra-virgin
  • 2 TBS capers - drained and chopped
  • Fish
  • 1 3/4 lb(s) cod - rock cod or halibut, cut into 4 equal fillets
  • 1/2 tsp salt - or to taste
  • Garnish
  • cherry tomatoes for garnish - halved
  • lime(s) for garnish - wedges

1. Either use a gas stove or a preheated broiler. Roast the chiles until the skin is charred/blistered. Transfer to a plastic bag and let steam for 8+ minutes. If you roasted these on a pan under the broiler, put a smallish bowl over them, and let them steam under it for the same amount of time. More is better than less.

2. Preheat the oven to 400F. Peel chiles, remove stems seeds and pith. Rinse and chop into 1/2" pieces. Put in a bowl.

3. With a mortar and pestle, crush sunflower seeds garlic and pepper together. Put in a bowl with olive oil, capers and chopped peppers.

4. Put the fish on a foil-lined baking sheet. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Spread the chile mixture evenly over the fillets. Bake fish for 10-12 minutes

I agree completely about needing to focus on the things that bring us together, rather than the ones which divide us. Plus: food! Who doesn't like food?

Here's the recipe for the fish with poblanos. I've used regular cod and haddock, so feel free to substitute with whatever you can find. The only trick is that a flaky fish will fall apart when you try to serve it. Garnish is optional...
  • Topping
  • 2 whole poblano(s) - recipe actually says 4 Anaheim or California chiles
  • 2 TBS sunflower seeds - salted and roasted
  • 1 clove(s) garlic - crushed/minced
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper - fresh
  • 2 TBS olive oil - extra-virgin
  • 2 TBS capers - drained and chopped
  • Fish
  • 1 3/4 lb(s) cod - rock cod or halibut, cut into 4 equal fillets
  • 1/2 tsp salt - or to taste
  • Garnish
  • cherry tomatoes for garnish - halved
  • lime(s) for garnish - wedges

1. Either use a gas stove or a preheated broiler. Roast the chiles until the skin is charred/blistered. Transfer to a plastic bag and let steam for 8+ minutes. If you roasted these on a pan under the broiler, put a smallish bowl over them, and let them steam under it for the same amount of time. More is better than less.

2. Preheat the oven to 400F. Peel chiles, remove stems seeds and pith. Rinse and chop into 1/2" pieces. Put in a bowl.

3. With a mortar and pestle, crush sunflower seeds garlic and pepper together. Put in a bowl with olive oil, capers and chopped peppers.

4. Put the fish on a foil-lined baking sheet. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Spread the chile mixture evenly over the fillets. Bake fish for 10-12 minutes
Thank you.

Back