The most important yet emptiest thread on CARM.

I noticed Bob said hungry for the word, and as we know its the Spirit AND the word needed.
Home groups as part of a church does rub up again each other at times but inexperienced Christians can learn from Christians who know their Bible.
However I am finding teaching is lacking in many churches. AoG isnt too bad.

I noticed Bob said hungry for the word, and as we know its the Spirit AND the word needed.
Home groups as part of a church does rub up again each other at times but inexperienced Christians can learn from Christians who know their Bible.
However I am finding teaching is lacking in many churches. AoG isnt too bad.
Agreed. I'm getting ready for a men's discipleship group at our church. We will be starting out going through " The Pursuit of God " by A.W. Tozer.

Its all about the huger/thirsting after God.

Life happens in thbe small life groups. They can be as small as four people to a high of 15-18, depending on the situation. Ten is about right. It is about discipleship where everyone learns from each other, applying the scripture to everyday life circumstances. For example, we have been going through a series at church on "Experiencing God". Well, with the current situation in Ukraine, we asked/answered a few questions on the lesson then delved into how that applies to us right now. How do we feel about seeing people butchered on our televisions nightly, etc. How do we reach out to our neighbors or co-workers who are fearful of what may be coming down the pike? How do we minister the love of Jesus and let them experience the peace Jesus gives us? What importance do we place on the written word of God and the relationships we develop in our groups to minister to each other? we are all at different stages of spiritual development.
Life takes place in the life groups, which is consistent with how the church functioned in the book of Acts. I gather that the topics discussed in the life groups are taken from the pastor's sermon, is that correct? I like that discipleship is done around what is happening in the world.
It's all about building relationships and that is what we do both in the group and out. I am retired and have a part-time job at Costco demonstrating food and products for Club Demonstration Services (CDS). It is not a job in my view but a ministry opportunity. We -- I believe-- will have one couple joining our group next week because of the relationship we built this past year. Saw him at men's breakfast last week. He's been going to Real Life Ministries now for seven months and isn't yet connected to a life group. I think that will change.
Is life style evangelism the sole means of reaching the lost, or are there other avenues your church uses?
Is this church perfect? Hardly. However, this is a great place for us to be and for that I am thankful. Solid Bible preaching and application and no compromise and what the Word says. There are certain inviolate truths a Christian may not compromise. Others are not foundational to salvation and open to interpretation. We can hold different beliefs about charismatic gifts., etc. Elders have different views on that as do members of the flock, however, it will never be a point of division from the main mission of what God has shown to us.
It sounds like you have a solid and well rounded ministry in operation at your church. I'm wanting to begin the transition within the next few weeks/months to a cell church. I did a google search on your pastor and found several books he has written. What would be a good one to start out with that would cover much of what we would need to get started? I hope you don't mind me asking advice here, but anything that would help jump start this transition would be greatly appreciated. Have a great week.

Gary

Life takes place in the life groups, which is consistent with how the church functioned in the book of Acts. I gather that the topics discussed in the life groups are taken from the pastor's sermon, is that correct? I like that discipleship is done around what is happening in the world.

Is life style evangelism the sole means of reaching the lost, or are there other avenues your church uses?

It sounds like you have a solid and well rounded ministry in operation at your church. I'm wanting to begin the transition within the next few weeks/months to a cell church. I did a google search on your pastor and found several books he has written. What would be a good one to start out with that would cover much of what we would need to get started? I hope you don't mind me asking advice here, but anything that would help jump start this transition would be greatly appreciated. Have a great week.

Gary
Discussions can vary. Sometimes we will discuss the sermon and the notes. Other times, we may go through a series book (we are just finishing) "Experiencing God" which ties into the sermon. We have also done specific Bible book studies independent of the pastor's sermon. Life group leaders have flexibility. Our responsibility is to tailor what we do to the group. We have an older group so we are not going to deal hardly at all with how to raise children. If we have brand new believers we will focus more on helping them in their biblical knowledge and how to apply that as a new believer. We have a young lady in our group-- just turned 40-- who has lived a life and been around the block. Jesus has gotten a hold of her and she is becoming an amazing evangelist by sharing her life experiences, mistakes and wins with others. She takes folks to church, not just invites them and then says to us "I don't know how God is using me". We just smile and encourage her. She is doing what God wants. She has had opportunities to attend a group more in her age group but sticks with us for the wisdom and non judgmentalism. She helps us older folk to remember what new or young believer enthusiasm is like and how important it is.

We also do community outreaches. We constructed a sports complex for soccer, basketball, etc. Kids need a safe place and unchurches parents who don't want their kids around a secular environment, bring their kids to these programs. The result is loving on the kids and the parents. A number of parents wind up coming into a relationship with Jesus. We also donate backpacks to schools, food, etc. Lots of ministries.

One of the things our church does every year is to meet with all small group leaders to go over our basics. Just like a football team need to do the basics in order to be successful, so do we. What appears to be small things are not. They have purpose. We look at our mission of reaching the world one person at a time in relational environments and go over the points that help us accomplish that. Every year. It works. Corporate church is important. Life groups are critical.

Hope that helps. God bless.

Start with Jim's book, Church is a contact sport. You will get the idea. The Power of Together and The Revolutionary Disciple are two others that may help.

Discussions can vary. Sometimes we will discuss the sermon and the notes. Other times, we may go through a series book (we are just finishing) "Experiencing God" which ties into the sermon. We have also done specific Bible book studies independent of the pastor's sermon. Life group leaders have flexibility. Our responsibility is to tailor what we do to the group. We have an older group so we are not going to deal hardly at all with how to raise children. If we have brand new believers we will focus more on helping them in their biblical knowledge and how to apply that as a new believer. We have a young lady in our group-- just turned 40-- who has lived a life and been around the block. Jesus has gotten a hold of her and she is becoming an amazing evangelist by sharing her life experiences, mistakes and wins with others. She takes folks to church, not just invites them and then says to us "I don't know how God is using me". We just smile and encourage her. She is doing what God wants. She has had opportunities to attend a group more in her age group but sticks with us for the wisdom and non judgmentalism. She helps us older folk to remember what new or young believer enthusiasm is like and how important it is.

We also do community outreaches. We constructed a sports complex for soccer, basketball, etc. Kids need a safe place and unchurches parents who don't want their kids around a secular environment, bring their kids to these programs. The result is loving on the kids and the parents. A number of parents wind up coming into a relationship with Jesus. We also donate backpacks to schools, food, etc. Lots of ministries.

One of the things our church does every year is to meet with all small group leaders to go over our basics. Just like a football team need to do the basics in order to be successful, so do we. What appears to be small things are not. They have purpose. We look at our mission of reaching the world one person at a time in relational environments and go over the points that help us accomplish that. Every year. It works. Corporate church is important. Life groups are critical.

Hope that helps. God bless.

Start with Jim's boo to k, Church is a contact sport. You will get the idea. The Power of Together and The Revolutionary Disciple are two others that may help.
Thank you for all the information you've shared with me. It was a lot, and I know it took you some time to write it all. I will get these books and will wait on God's timing for the transition, which I'm sure will be within the next 2 or 3 months. This is something we have prayed about and talked about for years. You have helped to fill in some of the gaps. Have a blessed week.

Gary

I'm just sad at this. I keep trying to "get plugged in" to "Life Groups," as they call them. I don't think churches think Christian fellowship outside of a sermon is important.

Thoughts?

Generally in churchianity, they really aren't as interested in fellowship with you as they pretend to be.

Fellowship with Christ and his God is what really matters. See 1 John 1.

Generally in churchianity, they really aren't as interested in fellowship with you as they pretend to be.

Fellowship with Christ and his God is what really matters. See 1 John 1.
Can't agree with that at all. The Father God of our family see's such children not wanting to fellowship as really not getting it at all. WE ARE A FAMILY whether people in the family want to accept that or not. They need to see if nothing else fellowship with other brothers and sisters is to impart the strength and encouragement that they have. eg. Imagine two family members seeing another family member out on the ocean drowning needing help. For the others to say "What's it matter? I've got God on my side" and the heart of the Father is screaming out That's your brother, or sister and they're one with you in my family. If one is TRULY in fellowship with Christ they will feel the unction and pull from him to be in fellowship with the family and it's a grief in the heart of the Father when they don't.

Can't agree with that at all. The Father God of our family see's such children not wanting to fellowship as really not getting it at all. WE ARE A FAMILY whether people in the family want to accept that or not.

True believers are.

Most of churchianity - not.

They need to see if nothing else fellowship with other brothers and sisters is to impart the strength and encouragement that they have. eg. Imagine two family members seeing another family member out on the ocean drowning needing help. For the others to say "What's it matter? I've got God on my side" and the heart of the Father is screaming out That's your brother, or sister and they're one with you in my family. If one is TRULY in fellowship with Christ they will feel the unction and pull from him to be in fellowship with the family and it's a grief in the heart of the Father when they don't.

Life happens in thbe small life groups. They can be as small as four people to a high of 15-18, depending on the situation. Ten is about right. It is about discipleship where everyone learns from each other, applying the scripture to everyday life circumstances. For example, we have been going through a series at church on "Experiencing God". Well, with the current situation in Ukraine, we asked/answered a few questions on the lesson then delved into how that applies to us right now. How do we feel about seeing people butchered on our televisions nightly, etc. How do we reach out to our neighbors or co-workers who are fearful of what may be coming down the pike? How do we minister the love of Jesus and let them experience the peace Jesus gives us? What importance do we place on the written word of God and the relationships we develop in our groups to minister to each other? we are all at different stages of spiritual development.
Hello gain. I related to you earlier this year that our church was in the process of transitioning to a cell church structure, which we have successfully done. We no longer meet at church on Wednesday nights for a service, but are meeting in our home in small groups. We are planning on going through the Experiencing God series after the first of the year. One of the questions that came up tonight is "how do we handle new people that may come into the group if we are a few chapters into the study?" I thought I would ask someone who may have experienced this. In our cells we have a prayer list that include people from each cell member to be prayed for with the goal of bringing them into the home cells and introducing them to the Lord. Was just wondering if you may have some insight to share on this.

Gary

Hello gain. I related to you earlier this year that our church was in the process of transitioning to a cell church structure, which we have successfully done. We no longer meet at church on Wednesday nights for a service, but are meeting in our home in small groups. We are planning on going through the Experiencing God series after the first of the year. One of the questions that came up tonight is "how do we handle new people that may come into the group if we are a few chapters into the study?" I thought I would ask someone who may have experienced this. In our cells we have a prayer list that include people from each cell member to be prayed for with the goal of bringing them into the home cells and introducing them to the Lord. Was just wondering if you may have some insight to share on this.

Gary
We welcome new folks into our group as space permits. Understand everyone is at a different spiritual level. When a new person comes in, take some group time to get to know them and let them share. Same with the other group members so they can become acquainted with them. Short bios. Small groups are excellent at helping disciples to make other disciples.

The fact you may be a few chapters into the book isn't a problem. Encourage them to get a book and catch up. It's not so much about getting caught up as being into a relationship with other believers and how God leads and shapes each of us. Extend grace to the newbies. It is hard to come into a new environment.

A good resource for your entire group after you finish "Experiencing God" would be "The Disciples Journey" by Jim Putman. Twelve weeks of how to become and make disciples. Jesus didn't tell us to make converts but to actually become the church of disciples who make other disciples. Should be available on Amazon.

Home groups are where the real growth happens, but the larger collective body that would meet say on a Sunday or Saturday is also important. That is the model of our particular church. We are not a church that has small groups. We are a church OF small groups which we call Life groups, because life happens at that level where we share our lives, wins and failures and how to become more like Jesus. That was the model Jesus gave to us to replicate. The disciples didn't avoid large gatherings either.

God bless and let me know if that helps.

The fact you may be a few chapters into the book isn't a problem. Encourage them to get a book and catch up. It's not so much about getting caught up as being into a relationship with other believers and how God leads and shapes each of us. Extend grace to the newbies. It is hard to come into a new environment.

That was my first thought, to have a few of the workbooks on hand should new people come in. I'll take this as .a confirmation.

A good resource for your entire group after you finish "Experiencing God" would be "The Disciples Journey" by Jim Putman. Twelve weeks of how to become and make disciples. Jesus didn't tell us to make converts but to actually become the church of disciples who make other disciples. Should be available on Amazon.

I am going through Jim Putman's book "The Revolutionary Disciple" for the second time. Very informative and pretty convicting. We are going to do extensive discipleship training using Bill Hull's "Experience The Life" series lasting 30 weeks. It's more than a study. It is on the job training where we disciple people to live out the teachings of Jesus, and disciple them to make disciples who will do the same. This goes along with our vision statement ...... "to develop a disciple making culture devoted to training others to follow the teachings of Jesus." I will also check out "The Discipleship Journey."

Home groups are where the real growth happens, but the larger collective body that would meet say on a Sunday or Saturday is also important. That is the model of our particular church. We are not a church that has small groups. We are a church OF small groups which we call Life groups, because life happens at that level where we share our lives, wins and failures and how to become more like Jesus. That was the model Jesus gave to us to replicate. The disciples didn't avoid large gatherings either.

The small groups in our church will always meet in the large group meeting on Sunday's. The only thing that has changed is the Wednesday meetings have moved from the church to the home. Thanks again for your input. Have a blessed day.

Gary

That was my first thought, to have a few of the workbooks on hand should new people come in. I'll take this as .a confirmation.

I am going through Jim Putman's book "The Revolutionary Disciple" for the second time. Very informative and pretty convicting. We are going to do extensive discipleship training using Bill Hull's "Experience The Life" series lasting 30 weeks. It's more than a study. It is on the job training where we disciple people to live out the teachings of Jesus, and disciple them to make disciples who will do the same. This goes along with our vision statement ...... "to develop a disciple making culture devoted to training others to follow the teachings of Jesus." I will also check out "The Discipleship Journey."

The small groups in our church will always meet in the large group meeting on Sunday's. The only thing that has changed is the Wednesday meetings have moved from the church to the home. Thanks again for your input. Have a blessed day.

Gary
Excellent. Good plans.

I'm just sad at this. I keep trying to "get plugged in" to "Life Groups," as they call them. I don't think churches think Christian fellowship outside of a sermon is important.

Thoughts?
Why not start your own among friends? You can still go to church and have fellowship with other believers outside of a sermon.

The most important because organised and mainstream denominations and ministries and breaking up, not least because of false teaching, but also through co-ersion.

Back