Does God Want Everyone to Know Him?

So since not to you, not to anyone, eh? You have it on good authority that millions of people, including myself, are deceived. Can you please identify that authority?
Well, what do you know about this God, who has revealed himself to you that you have not read in a Bible?

As I said previously, contradictions among Christians, who claim to know God, are a good indicator that this God has not revealed himself to them, because they believe contradictory things about this God and what this God wants.

I know one Christian, who believes that the God of the Old Testament is the devil, and he uses Jesus' own words to prove this. How can he be so wrong? Or maybe he's right?

Biologos.org Christians believe that evolution doesn't contradict God's word (the Bible). But young earth creationists believe their God did not use evolution, but created everything around 10,000 years ago. How could these groups be reconciled? They all believe (as they think) in the same God! How could they come to such contradictory conclusions about how this God created the world?

Last edited:
Well, what do you know about this God, who has revealed himself to you that you have not read in a Bible?
What do you know about Lincoln that you have not read in a book? Nothing? Then I guess he didn't exist, eh?

As I said previously, contradictions among Christians, who claim to know God, are a good indicator that this God has not revealed himself to them, because they believe contradictory things about this God and what this God wants.

Name some.

How could thee people be so deceived? They voted for a future atheist to be on the board of elders in their church. And they prayed about it too.

And ...........? They were deceived. They did not recognize your wishy-washy nature. What's that have to do with God?

What do you know about Lincoln that you have not read in a book? Nothing? Then I guess he didn't exist, eh?
Lincoln existED in the past but no longer exists today. He was a person in history. But Christians claim Jesus is alive TODAY, answers their prayers. They actually claim to know him personally! Have a personal relationship with him and he answers their prayers today.
Name some.
I did by editing my original post.

He has a lot more patience than I do, for one. For two He made me realize God never has to repeat Himself. He also demonstrated to me that His love crosses all boundaries and sin. For four, I never realized the privilege and power I have as a son of God.

Can I back that up with scripture? Maybe, but spiritual understanding is otherworldly, and when coupled with scripture, enlightening. There is no explaining enlightenment, you either get it or you don't.

Why would you throw away love?

God has not himself known to anyone. When I was a Christian, I used to think that I "know" God, but this knowledge was based on reading the Bible.

You know God doesn't make himself known because Christians, or God followers, those who claim to have a personal relationship with God, don't really know anything about this God that have not read in a Bible.

In addition, when I was a Christian, I was a member of the board of elders in my Baptist church. I remember there were very sharp disagreements on issues, even though each of us prayed for God's guidance. And I remember being perplexed by this, because some people felt that God is leading them to think that church needs to do X, whereas others felt God was leading to NOT do X. And some of these are church dividing subjects that cause people to split or leave the church. Doesn't God have a clear plan for a church?

So, it is my contention that God, if he exists, simply doesn't care what people think of him or what people believe in him. This God has not provided a reliable way for people to know him. Each religion has followers who are convinced they are right. Their God is the only true God. And there is no reliable way to point them to a true God.
Maybe the preexistent, infinite One cannot be known as he is in himself (the preexistent, infinite one) so he begets, produces, emanates himself into existence as his own Son, metaphorically speaking. In order that his Son might exist independent of himself and be blessed by the infinite One. That Son is the existence we belong to having a life of its own stretching from its “Beginning” through the “Present” to an eternal “Future”. In that scenario, we are “members” of the Son of God, “in whom we live, move, and have our being”. Therefore, the preexistent Father can be known personally THROUGH his Son whom he has produced for our benefit. I think that is what Judeo-Christianity is trying to tell us.

God has not himself known to anyone. When I was a Christian, I used to think that I "know" God, but this knowledge was based on reading the Bible.
Interesting......
What was the basis you used to say-- I know God?
You say you read scripture.
Did you have specific scriptures that supported this knowledge?

You know God doesn't make himself known because Christians, or God followers, those who claim to have a personal relationship with God, don't really know anything about this God that have not read in a Bible.
This just reminds me of a statement made by a movie character regarding Santa claus in the mid nineties.

Telling us how you failed means that everyone else fails too doesn't help you.

In addition, when I was a Christian, I was a member of the board of elders in my Baptist church.
And? My church's board of elders are all businessmen, or professionals in their respective fields of profession.
So, that doesn't really tell me anything, except that they trusted your business acumen.

I remember there were very sharp disagreements on issues, even though each of us prayed for God's guidance.
In the community of Jesus followers I've been engaged with throughout the years, having sharp disagreements about matters is immaterial.
Paul and Barnabas had a sharp disagreement, to the point where they split up and went their respective ways. Apparently Paul didn't think that Mark was mature enough to handle another mission trip, since he abandoned the previous one.
My pastor has often said- you can indeed disagree all you want. But if you do, separate, pray, and then come back together and agree on defined truth.
And I remember being perplexed by this, because some people felt that God is leading them to think that church needs to do X, whereas others felt God was leading to NOT do X. And some of these are church dividing subjects that cause people to split or leave the church. Doesn't God have a clear plan for a church?
Sounds like classic human beings being human.
Did it ever occur to you that each person's ideas may have been God telling them individually to go the direction they perceived as important?

As a young believer I was involved in a church where the asst pastor was convinced that he was supposed to be the pastor. But instead of going out on his own, he usurped the pastor's position and drove the original pastor out.
Being a young believer I was stunned.
Not having any experience with it, I tried to work through it but finally realized that it was a dynamic that I simply didn't know how to handle. So I left and found a fellowship that was more stable.

Several years ago I was looking for the original pastor because I wanted to say Hi. I learned that the former asst pastor was still the pastor and there had been no complaints about his work or previous conflicts in the 30+ years since.

So, it is my contention that God, if he exists, simply doesn't care what people think of him or what people believe in him.
Sounds like you're experiencing bitterness about human conflicts.
This was a problem for me too. I came to the realization that I could either let my irritation consume me or hand it over to God. Because all the heartaches I've had in life weren't worth destroying myself over.

This God has not provided a reliable way for people to know him.
Actually, he had. The bible. That however doesn't mean that everyone actually obeys the bible.

Each religion has followers who are convinced they are right.
Yep. Their ego is more important to them than the biblical narrative on the issue.
Again, this is a people issue
Their God is the only true God.
Yep. The first 3 commandments talk about this.
It's known as idolatry. Either YHVH is God, or your ideas are god. It can't be both.
It's something that everyone has to deal with. Even more so people who are religious.
Thankfully, YHVH says he has ways to break down false beliefs and ideas about him. We used to describe it as "God doesn't like being put in a box. If we do place him in a box, he'll destroy the box. If we refuse to engage him on his terms, our sin will destroy us."
And there is no reliable way to point them to a true God.
Actually there is.
It's a book known as the bible.
It's been working for millennia.

It's most effective when we are spiritually regenerated by the Holy Spirit.

FWIW, I lasted 3 months in a Baptist church.

In my own church community I've tried engaging in church service activities getting me closer to the leadership.... I found too much conflict and backed off. People are people. Sometimes they have a little too much flesh in their service. I'm not innocent of that one either.

I came to Jesus because he demonstrated himself to me. I did not come because I like religiosity or social clubs.
Being engaged in church isn't easy by any stretch of the word. It's become my opinion over the years that's exactly why Jesus said that we're to love one another.

Not the easy love that's all emotional, but the choice love, that's hard and painful. The kind of love that takes work, patience, kindness, etc.....

Actually there is.
It's a book known as the bible.
It's been working for millennia.
How can the Bible be reliable, if it leads you to accept Judaism, Catholicism, Baptists, Pentecostals, Jehovah's Witness and/or Christadelphians as true followers? Each of these group's members believes they are following the Bible correctly. And they have verses to back them up, debates on "who's right" continue to this day. Some "reliable way to God"!

How can the Bible be reliable, if it leads you to accept Judaism, Catholicism, Baptists, Pentecostals, Jehovah's Witness and/or Christadelphians as true followers? Each of these group's members believes they are following the Bible correctly. And they have verses to back them up, debates on "who's right" continue to this day. Some "reliable way to God"!
Curious thing about this issue....

Why would so many people and groups adhere to the bible if it's unreliable?

Do you actually think that everyone who comes to love the bible are idiots and imbeciles? Lacking any faculty to reason clearly through what the bible says?

I didn't care about Judaism, Catholicism, Baptistism, Pentecostalism, etc..

I simply wanted to know if YHVH was real or not. I wanted to know if this Jesus stuff was real or just another pile of religious bs.

The point you're stuck on is if each of these groups are individually right or not.

This is where you and I differ.

I previously learned that I wanted nothing to do with a group. I wanted to know if God himself was real. If Jesus himself was real.

Strike it up to never being an "in crowd" kind of guy.
I invariably piss someone off. Saying or doing something they don't like.
I tried different church things as a kid. As a teenager I tried drugs, alcohol and the drug culture of the 70's. I tried biker gangs. I slowly realized that I didn't fit in with any of them. I began having religious discussions with people I got stoned with invariably I irritated them too. Apparently I asked the wrong questions or didn't agree with them.
It doesn't matter how hard I work at trying to fit in.

I finally came to the realization that if God thinks I'm worth it, he's going to engage me when I engage him.

Not because I'm such a great guy. But exactly because nobody else actually thinks I'm worth a shi8.

What I've learned over the past 45 years of reading the bible itself.... it's that God loves me. For who I am. Not what I can do.
He created humans in his own likeness and image, and he gave us his only begotten son to save us from our sin and the consequences for our sin.

Stay away from the mentality that there's a right group out there that you have to fit into.

None of the groups you mentioned are the "in group!"

Jesus is the "in" person who everyone else has to come to in order to get "in to" what everyone else is hoping for.

The entire human race is in exactly the same boat!

So.... as the gal in John 4, who was an outsider to her local community of people who were, as a group, outsiders.... said....

Come see a man who told me everything about me that matters!

Jesus came to save people who are outcasts. Even the outcasts of the outcasts. They're his favorites.

Do you actually think that everyone who comes to love the bible are idiots and imbeciles? Lacking any faculty to reason clearly through what the bible says?

Nobody adheres to all of the Bible, as it's impossible and impractical. Every Bible sect and religions picks and chooses what they want/feel like following. But that's not my main point. The Bible followers, as a whole, all come to different conclusion about salvation, nature of Christ, etc... based on the Bible. Yes, these people may be sub-divided into different groups (Baptists, Catholics, etc..) that agree with one another in their own group about how they interpret the Bible, but if you take a Birds Eye view, you'll see there are many such groups with contradicting views among themselves.
Jesus is the "in" person who everyone else has to come to in order to get "in to" what everyone else is hoping for.
And yet, there are misundersandings, among these Christian groups as to who that Jesus is. How does one know if they believe in the right Jesus or "another" Jesus, as Paul warned in 2 Cor. 11:4? If you are a Trinitarian, you will have a Jesus that's different from a Christadelphian or Jehovah Witness' Jesus. You could argue among yourselves until you are blue in the face and you won't be able to convince each other than you are right. Because no matter what your view of Jesus is, there is a Bible verse that could be used to contradict it or to support it.

Nobody adheres to all of the Bible, as it's impossible and impractical. Every Bible sect and religions picks and chooses what they want/feel like following. But that's not my main point. The Bible followers, as a whole, all come to different conclusion about salvation, nature of Christ, etc... based on the Bible. Yes, these people may be sub-divided into different groups (Baptists, Catholics, etc..) that agree with one another in their own group about how they interpret the Bible, but if you take a Birds Eye view, you'll see there are many such groups with contradicting views among themselves.

And yet, there are misundersandings, among these Christian groups as to who that Jesus is. How does one know if they believe in the right Jesus or "another" Jesus, as Paul warned in 2 Cor. 11:4? If you are a Trinitarian, you will have a Jesus that's different from a Christadelphian or Jehovah Witness' Jesus. You could argue among yourselves until you are blue in the face and you won't be able to convince each other than you are right. Because no matter what your view of Jesus is, there is a Bible verse that could be used to contradict it or to support it.

Stop all the vague bloviating and cough up some examples.Give me two supposedly contradictory verses about Jesus.

Curious thing about this issue....

Curious thing about a related issue....

Why would so many people and groups adhere to the Quran if it's unreliable?

Hint: the answer to each question is exactly the same: people don't adhere to their holy books due to the reliability of the text

Last edited:
Stop all the vague bloviating and cough up some examples.Give me two supposedly contradictory verses about Jesus.
Why don’t you ask a Baptist why he believes Jesus is God, and ask a Christadelphian why he believes Jesus is not God? You will get more verses than you will know what to do with.
is salvation by works alone? By faith alone? by repentance from sin? You will have verses supporting each of these. My point is simple. Hundreds of Christia groups exists with contradictory theologies all based on one same Bible. Look at these forums.

Why don’t you ask a Baptist why he believes Jesus is God, and ask a Christadelphian why he believes Jesus is not God? You will get more verses than you will know what to do with.
is salvation by works alone? By faith alone? by repentance from sin? You will have verses supporting each of these. My point is simple. Hundreds of Christia groups exists with contradictory theologies all based on one same Bible. Look at these forums.

More bloviating! Contradictory Bible verses about Jesus, please! You made the claim. Back it up.

More bloviating! Contradictory Bible verses about Jesus, please! You made the claim. Back it up.
my evidence is existence of Christian sects who believe the New Testament is Gods word but who don’t accept the Trinity or Jesus’s divinity. If you refuse to accept such believers exist, then you are welcome to your belief. You want verses? Go ahead and ask Christadelphians or Jehovahs witnesses.

Back