A Belief-System for the Moral Agnostic (Flexible Atheist)

What is it to be the ideal or perfect Human?

According to a lover of wisdom (philo-sopher) it is to live life according to right reason which is manifest as a virtuous life. This is something we should all agree upon, to include the moral agnostic or flexible atheist. It is to recognize our highest purpose in life and live accordingly. He explains below by asking,

What quality is best in man?​

For everything is estimated by the standard of its own good. The vine is valued for its productiveness and the flavour of its wine, the stag for his speed. We ask, with regard to beasts of burden, how sturdy of back they are; for their only use is to bear burdens. If a dog is to find the trail of a wild beast, keenness of scent is of first importance; if to catch his quarry, swiftness of foot; if to attack and harry it, courage. In each thing that quality should be best for which the thing is brought into being and by which it is judged.​

Therefore, what quality is best in man?
It is reason; by virtue of reason he surpasses the animals, and is surpassed only by the [stories of] gods. Perfect reason is therefore the good peculiar to man; all other qualities he shares in some degree with animals and plants.​

Man is strong; so is the lion. Man is comely; so is the peacock. Man is swift; so is the horse. I do not say that man is surpassed in all these qualities. I am not seeking to find that which is greatest in him, but that which is peculiarly his own. Man has body; so also have trees. Man has the power to act and to move at will; so have beasts and worms. Man has a voice; but how much louder is the voice of the dog, how much shriller that of the eagle, how much deeper that of the bull, how much sweeter and more melodious that of the nightingale!​

What then is peculiar to man? Reason.​

When this is right and has reached perfection, man's felicity is complete. Hence, if everything is praiseworthy and has arrived at the end intended by its nature, when it has brought its peculiar good to perfection, and if man's peculiar good is reason; then, if a man has brought his reason to perfection, he is praiseworthy and has readied the end suited to his nature.​
This perfect reason is called virtue, and is likewise that which is honourable.
In the case of man, He is good, if his reason is well-ordered and right and adapted to that which his nature has willed. It is this that is called virtue; this is what we mean by "honourable"; it is man's unique good. (Seneca, Moral letter #76)​

Last edited:
For Christians

Given this ^^^^^^ was the cultural context for the Gospel of John (i.e., moral philo-sophy) it should warrant the christian religious consciousness to consider if the ideal Christian Man as symbolized in the Gospel stories by the man Jesus, aka, “The Reason became flesh…full of grace and truth.” (John 1:14), —is actually the “rising” moral consciousness in us. Put another way, the rising Son of God IS, —actually IS, the universe‘s unique quality to be good found ONLY in man (See previous post).

Since the Reason was “in the beginning with [the] God, and the Reason was God” (John 1:1) then the Reason manifesting or rising in us would also be from the God as the spiritual seeds (or potentialities) ”in the beginning.”

The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one,” (John 17:22)​

Last edited:
For Christians

Given this ^^^^^^ was the cultural context for the Gospel of John (i.e., moral philo-sophy) it should warrant the christian religious consciousness to consider if the ideal Christian Man as symbolized in the Gospel stories by the man Jesus....
The ideal christian man?

The ideal christian man walks with the Spirit, is in step with the Spirit, who points to the Son and what He has taught us.

Walk apart from Him and you can be the greatest mostest moral guy ever in your own head, but it won't matter.

Try as people might to redefine, the christian is powered by the Spirit of God, no man is his judge, and he points to Christ, just as the Spirit leads us too.

The ideal christian man?

The ideal christian man walks with the Spirit, is in step with the Spirit, who points to the Son and what He has taught us.
If you knew what that meant then you would not have made the following incorrect conclusion. Which demonstrates that they are merely cliches to you lacking any real context.
Walk apart from Him and you can be the greatest mostest moral guy ever in your own head, but it won't matter.
Nope. The greatest moral guy on the planet has been perfected by the love of God.
Try as people might to redefine, the christian is powered by the Spirit of God, no man is his judge, and he points to Christ, just as the Spirit leads us too.
Per the New Testament canon, “whoever” lives or “walks” his/her daily life according to right “REASON” (Greek: Logos), WISDOM (Greek: Sophia), or “inner spirit of Jesus” (ie., moral consciousness) is “perfected” by love.

WHOEVER keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected.​
By this ⬇️ we may know that we are in him:​
whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.” (1 John 2:5)​

Last edited:
Back