Did Jesus' family think he was going crazy?

Upon further reflection, I take that back. It isn't in the past tense. It's in the imperfect tense. The family is maintaining or saying what they heard. They are repeating the claim that he is beside himself.
Another difficulty you have with linking "they were saying" to the report they heard is the intervening verb. "καὶ ἀκούσαντες οἱ παρ’ αὐτοῦ ἐξῆλθον κρατῆσαι αὐτόν· ἔλεγον γὰρ ὅτι ἐξέστη." γάρ seems to be giving the reason they went out (ἐξῆλθον) to κρατῆσαι (which in itself can be a strong word) him. Another infinitive (help, protect, aid, hide, etc.) instead of κρατῆσαι would have had less potential for negative connotations and misunderstanding even if the content of the report that caused them to go out was revealed so far removed its initial mention as is supposed by some translations here.

The flow of the narrative seems to indicate that what they had heard was that Jesus had returned to his hometown and there was a crowd around him. To suppose that ἔλεγον γὰρ ὅτι ἐξέστη was the content of what they heard requires at least two assumptions (that it tells us what his relatives had heard, and that ἔλεγον has a different embedded subject than the previously stated one) and thus fails Occam's razor.

We will know when we meet him face to face. Why would assume he was autistic? Maybe he didn't like being crushed by crowd of people but he always had compassion on them...feeding them, healing them, taking time to teach them about the kingdom.

Jesus was a Palestinian and people these days greet them with rockets., need to learn Palestinian people skills before you meet him.

This is an anachronistic fantasy.

And this seems rather racist. People are people and generally prefer the same treatment, even if cultural standards are a bit different.

If one is not a Palestine, then the entire bible isn't really their business, for Palestinians are the target audience of the Bible books, Where in Bible does its state "Written for Americans"?

If one is not a Palestine, then the entire bible isn't really their business, for Palestinians are the target audience of the Bible books, Where in Bible does its state "Written for Americans"?
This is the most ignorant post I have seen in this forum, and that's saying something

What is the more appropriate translation of Mark 3:21?

Did Jesus' family think he had lost his mind or did the people accuse him of losing his mind?

Mark 3:21 When his family heard it, they went out to restrain him, for people were saying, “He has gone out of his mind.” NRSVUE

Mark 3:21 And when his family heard it, they went out to seize him, for they were saying, “He is out of his mind.” ESV
Mary's other half siblings DIDN'T BELIEVE IN HIM (John 7:5), and Mary really didn't have a clue what was going on, since Jesus WASN'T DOING what the "Orthodox" Jews were teaching about Messiah. So YES!!! Mary and the kids though He'd gone nuts, and they wanted to get Him back home, and OUT of the public eye.

The term "half sibling" would suggests illegitimate child or that the parents committed adultery. Perhaps the family wasn't Jewish.

What is the more appropriate translation of Mark 3:21?

Did Jesus' family think he had lost his mind or did the people accuse him of losing his mind?

Mark 3:21 When his family heard it, they went out to restrain him, for people were saying, “He has gone out of his mind.” NRSVUE

Mark 3:21 And when his family heard it, they went out to seize him, for they were saying, “He is out of his mind.” ESV
Yes.

My mentor is a Palestinian Jew, can't get more legitimate than that,
Well, if we're going by your standards you could have an Israeli Jew since they are actually the people who wrote and lived by the Hebrew Bible.
but "American" opinions don't matter, looks at the state of US Schools.
Yeah, we have terrible schools. I mean we only have 8 universities in the top ten and only four in the top 5 in international ratings. Just "looks" at how bad they are.

Mary's other half siblings DIDN'T BELIEVE IN HIM (John 7:5), and Mary really didn't have a clue what was going on, since Jesus WASN'T DOING what the "Orthodox" Jews were teaching about Messiah. So YES!!! Mary and the kids though He'd gone nuts, and they wanted to get Him back home, and OUT of the public eye.
Wasn't Mary given a little "heads up" when she has her talk with Gabriel? Luke 1:26-38

Well, if we're going by your standards you could have an Israeli Jew since they are actually the people who wrote and lived by the Hebrew Bible.

Yeah, we have terrible schools. I mean we only have 8 universities in the top ten and only four in the top 5 in international ratings. Just "looks" at how bad they are.

Nobody knows who wrote the Hebrew Bible and they are also deceased.

Nobody knows who wrote the Hebrew Bible and they are also deceased.
If you deny that the authors were Jewish, you have a difficult case to make indeed. I can tell already that it's a waste of time interacting with you. Your arguments are every bit as bad as the threads you've posted elsewhere in the forum.

If you deny that the authors were Jewish, you have a difficult case to make indeed. I can tell already that it's a waste of time interacting with you. Your arguments are every bit as bad as the threads you've posted elsewhere in the forum.

The term "Jew" in a modern context is not the same in that ancient context, do you know what a "Judean" is? Why did the "D" drop out of Jew? In fact, JEW sounds like it could be a transliteration of YHWH.

Back