Roman Catholics Believe in 'Plenary Indulgences,' but . . .

Good to hear. Now you don't need to belong to your romanist religion, believe the Marian dogmas, mass, confession to a priest, submit to the Pope, etc for your salvation, right? Because now you either forget those things, or, you just told a big one!
Those are all a part of Faith. Faith is EVERYTHING.

In that case then, you must also know that because Roman Catholicism teaches that a [Roman Catholic] 'Christian' may lose his or her salvation, it argues that "not even faith . . . or conversion . . . or reception of baptism . . . or constancy throughout life . . . can gain for one the right to salvation . . . " and that all these are held to be only "the forerunners of attainment" toward salvation.
Correct: no one has a right to salvation.

That is so basic, I am surprised you would question that. As a Protestant I would think you would know this better than anyone.

Oh really???? Then kindly show us where the word "indulgences" is found in those verses....or at least, the concept and teaching of indulgences.

I thought Mormons were bad a practicing eisegesis, but the CC has them beat!!!
Matthew 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.”

Jesus scolds the Jewish leaders who had the power to bind and loose for doing a lot of binding and no loosing.

This read like a bunch of word salad. Can the Roman Catholic hierarchy make this religious belief system any more confusing for its laity?
And here is the Roman Catholic flavored salad dressing to top it all off........ "A 'plenary indulgence' can be gained only once a day."
You can find that 'RCC approved Plenary Indulgence Dressing', in the Roman Catholic Dictionary aisle, right along with many other putrid Roman Catholic flavored items that are 'hard to swallow'.

Oh really???? Then kindly show us where the word "indulgences" is found in those verses....or at least, the concept and teaching of indulgences.

I thought Mormons were bad a practicing eisegesis, but the CC has them beat!!!
Grumpy says: Teachers exist before students do. Joe Smith, Jr. was a piker, compared to the RCC.

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

And here is the Roman Catholic flavored salad dressing to top it all off........ "A 'plenary indulgence' can be gained only once a day."
You can find that 'RCC approved Plenary Indulgence Dressing', in the Roman Catholic Dictionary aisle, right along with many other putrid Roman Catholic flavored items that are 'hard to swallow'.
"Once a day"? If it's plenary (full), why would anyone need more than one? "The President granted him a full pardon, but he had to serve ten more months in jail."

Or is it that I can get only one "plenary indulgence" for different family members per day? (No group discounts?)

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

Matthew 23:4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.”

Jesus scolds the Jewish leaders who had the power to bind and loose for doing a lot of binding and no loosing.
These verses have zero to do with plenary indulgences, or indulgences of any kind. Talk about a stretch! This is one of the worst examples of eisegesis I have ever seen on here.

The Pharisees laid many man-made laws on the people, that came to be as binding as what was actually in the Law of Moses. These were often very hard to bear for the people. The leaders could have removed the burden of them, by declaring them null and void, but they did not or would not. Power, don't ya know....

These verses have zero to do with plenary indulgences, or indulgences of any kind. Talk about a stretch! This is one of the worst examples of eisegesis I have ever seen on here.

The Pharisees laid many man-made laws on the people, that came to be as binding as what was actually in the Law of Moses. These were often very hard to bear for the people. The leaders could have removed the burden of them, by declaring them null and void, but they did not or would not. Power, don't ya know....
Yes they do. The Jews knew what binding and loosing are. The Lutherans don't.

Faith in what or whom? Your pope? Membership in your church? Mary? Plenary indulgences?

OR Jesus Christ alone, for salvation, great and free?
Faith in Christ alone for salvation great and free.

Happy?

What about the pope, membership in my Church, Mary, Plenary indulgences? Those are all PART of what it is to be in Christ and profess Faith in Christ. Our relationship with Christ does not exist in isolation or independently from the other members of the Church.

Faith in Christ alone for salvation great and free.

Happy?

What about the pope, membership in my Church, Mary, Plenary indulgences? Those are all PART of what it is to be in Christ and profess Faith in Christ. Our relationship with Christ does not exist in isolation or independently from the other members of the Church.
Regarding salvation, it always sounds like, in most of your posts, rompoporg, that you are very careful of what you say, and how you say it, so as not to be accused by your Roman Catholic Church of "triumphalism," which is a very dangerous position to hold.

Back