Catholics: WHAT exactly descended out of heaven?

Our Lord's God

33 For the bread of God is that which (1) descends out of heaven and (2) gives life to the world... 51 if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is my flesh. 52 Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying, “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?” 53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves. 54 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me. 58 THIS is the bread which descends out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever.

Jesus also tells us in this same teaching that this bread had already descended out of heaven.

WHAT exactly descended out of heaven?

33 For the bread of God is that which (1) descends out of heaven and (2) gives life to the world... 51 if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is my flesh. 52 Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying, “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?” 53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves. 54 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me. 58 THIS is the bread which descends out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever.

Come on Catholics. This should not be difficult. Giver 'er a whirl.

Jesus also tells us in this same teaching that this bread had already descended out of heaven.

Jesus is the bread that descended out of heaven. The exact same bread we receive in the Eucharist.

Is there a point here?

Jesus is the bread that descended out of heaven. The exact same bread we receive in the Eucharist.

So flesh descended out of heaven. Wow, that's a new one.

Explain for us how this flesh descended out of heaven.

Is there a point here?

So flesh descended out of heaven. Wow, that's a new one.

Explain for us how this flesh descended out of heaven.
Luke 1:34
“The Holy Spirit will come upon you,
and the power of the Most High will overshadow you;
therefore the child to be born will be called holy,
the Son of God.

Luke 1:34
“The Holy Spirit will come upon you,
and the power of the Most High will overshadow you;
therefore the child to be born will be called holy,
the Son of God.

This passage says the Holy Spirit will cause a virgin to bear a child. So WHAT descended out of heaven in the above verse?

Did flesh descend out of heaven?

Did human flesh descend out of heaven?

Or something else?

Last edited:
You do not receive Jesus, He is never a literal piece of bread.

That's right.

The Lord's Supper is a Kingdom supper.

So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 So also it is written, “The first man, Adam, became a living soul.” The last Adam life-giving Spirit. 46 However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural; then the spiritual. 47 The first man is from the earth, earthly, the second man out of heaven. 48 As is the earthly, so also are those who are earthly, and as is the heavenly, so also are those who are heavenly. 49 Just as we have borne the image of the earthly, we will also bear the image of the heavenly. 50 Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God

Jesus descended out of heaven. No His body did not descend from heaven but He now has a human body for the rest of eternity. That body gives life to the world.

Matthew 24:23
At that time, if anyone says to you, 'Look, here is the Christ!' or 'There He is!' do not believe it.

Mark 13:21
At that time if anyone says to you, 'Look, here is the Christ!' or 'There He is!' do not believe it.

Luke 17:23
Then He said to the disciples, “The time is coming when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it.
People will tell you, ‘There he is!’ or ‘Here he is!’ Do not go running off after them.

The verses show us that Jesus is NOT returning over and over and over to be sacrificed for every and each mass; for when He returns, every eye will see Him not just rc's. But the whole world will know. It will NOT be a special secret knowledge hidden inside a wafer.

Matthew 24:27
For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

Matthew 24:23
At that time, if anyone says to you, 'Look, here is the Christ!' or 'There He is!' do not believe it.

Mark 13:21
At that time if anyone says to you, 'Look, here is the Christ!' or 'There He is!' do not believe it.

Luke 17:23
Then He said to the disciples, “The time is coming when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it.
People will tell you, ‘There he is!’ or ‘Here he is!’ Do not go running off after them.

The verses show us that Jesus is NOT returning over and over and over to be sacrificed for every and each mass; for when He returns, every eye will see Him not just rc's. But the whole world will know. It will NOT be a special secret knowledge hidden inside a wafer.

Matthew 24:27
For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.
Matthew 26: 26 Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” 27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you; 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Believe it or don't believe it?

Matthew 26: 26 Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” 27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you; 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Believe it or don't believe it?
Still no evidence that the bread changed into literal flesh. Do you know the blessing that was made?

Back