Why does God call people to repentence?

God knew what they would do, no question.

We all slip up, nothing to worry about, I have done it. We are all passionate about what we believe, are we not?
As we all know, Calvinism is accused of making God the author of/responsible for/culpable for sin.
We all know that.
But culpability requires intent, and God has infallible foreknowledge.
So we have a difficult problem here.

Except it shouldn't be difficult for this reason.
Gen 50/20 But as for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is to this day, to save many people alive.

We've quoted Genesis 50/20 many times, and we usually stop at "God meant it for good", which is partially incorrect on our part.
God's intent was not only "for good", it was for a different outcome ALTOGETHER, which I've never picked up on before.

It was "to bring it about as it is to this day, to save many people"
Although God handed Joseph over to his brothers, his brothers not only had a different intent, they also had a different outcome.
This completely excludes God from culpability. His "intent" which was good, was for a different outcome completely.
The same is true of the Assyrian army and "handing Jesus over"

Right so cookedgoose is wrong, thank you, for your honesty.

I never said he was wrong. So thank YOU for your dishonesty.

You don't seem to know what "charity" is. Everything is either "right" or "wrong", you don't seem interested in "understanding" what another person means.

You just pointed out cooked goose was wrong and I was right, so why explain to me, shouldn't you explain that to cookedgoose?

I didin't "point out that cooked goose was wrong".
I said I DISAGREED with him regarding wording or terminology.
And you don't get to tell me what to do, so lose the attitude.

I didn't, no, I can't read every post, there are so many and I am busy today, flipping here and there.

So let me get this straight...
We've been studying the Bible for decades, and the ramifications of Calvinism for decades.
We've received criticisms of Calvinism for decades...

Meanwhile, you have demonstrated that you don't even UNDERSTAND what we believe, but when you bring up your criticisms (which we've heard hundreds of times before), and refute it, you can't be bothered reading it because you are "super busy", but are not so "super busy" that you have time to repeat the same refuted criticisms over and over again?

And you don't understand what a colossal waste of time this is?

It also demonstrates an INCREDIBLY haughty attitude by you that you are SO sure that your arguments are so correct and irrefutible that I guess you think you don't HAVE to read any responses. How INCREDIBLY insulting and unChristian!

Well we are agreed then he did not murder him, that was the choice of those that did it, God foreknew that would happen, yes.

God CAUSED the act to happen, for GOOD (cf. Gen. 50:20).

God does not do evil, only good, because God is good and only God is good, Jesus said so.

And all the Calvinists said, "Amen!"
Exactly what do you think you're proving here?

God doesn't save sinners according to Calvinists,

Of COURSE He "saves sinners".
They are the only humans in NEED of "saving".

he only saves the elect,

Wow... Are you THIS ignorant about what we teach?
The elect ARE "sinners".
Hello?!

sinners would cover everyone, would it not?

Do you not understand the difference between:

"God saves sinners" (Biblical)

and

"God saves ALL sinners" (your belief, unBiblical)

When Scripture teaches God "saves sinners" (Not "all" sinners), or "died for the ungodly" (not "all" the ungodly), the purpose was not to identify "who" or "how many" would be saved, it was to explain the KIND of person He came to save.

sinners would cover everyone, would it not?

Okay, let me see if I get this straight.
You object to the idea that God didn't save all sinnres, but "only the elect".
So you must believe that God DID save sinners.
And you just claimed "sinners would cover everyone".

So once again I ask, are you a Universalist?

Yes, Cookedgoose definately did not say that correctly and wishes to "edit" the statement slightly.

Did you see this, @LeeH ?

You need to understand that we're responding to posts on the fly, and don't always use the best wording. It's not like we're posting book drafts that we've been working on for months and which have gone through multiple editing phases.

So why don't you give others a little slack (which is what a TRUE "Christian" would do), instead of simply looking for "gotcha!" moments?

Sheesh.

So obey Gods commands, it's a sin not to, agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed.

So God breaks his own commandment if he doesn't want everyone to repent. This is calvinsim over rulling Gods word, you can clearly see a clear bible truth being disregarded for calvinism here. When God gives a commandment he wants you to obey, period. God does not have a split personality disorder, he is not a God of confusion. 1 Corinthians 14:33.
You do not appear to understand that God's commands are for US to obey, not HIM. He is not commanding himself to repent, nor is he commanding himself to cause all of us to repent.

God's determinative will and his preceptive will are different categories of will, as I pointed out. You cannot set them against each other, as if they were the same kind of will.

God's preceptive will tells us what we are accountable to do. We are told to do these things, because they are right and good, and we ought to do them.

God's determinative will is what he has determined to happen. He is under no obligation to cause everyone to do what he ought to do; if he were, then there would have been no Fall of Adam; in fact, there would have been no sin by man - ever.

That poster has been here for years and has participated in such discussons himself.
It would only be a ****ing contest to argue over his Membership, his on-and-off activity; and his statement that he checked the Board out to only find so-to-speak bickering. So he said an early Merry Christmas; and left...

God knew what they would do, no question.

So you think God found himself "lucky" that the Jews and Romans "Free will" decided to murder Jesus, since if they didn't, then Christ would never have been crucified, and nobody would have been redeemed?

You don't think God had ANY control over that, and that it was nothing but coincidence and blind luck?

You do not appear to understand that God's commands are for US to obey, not HIM. He is not commanding himself to repent, nor is he commanding himself to cause all of us to repent.
Yes, He's the executor of the will, He's not a beneficiary. He owns outright everything in the will including the beneficiaries.

As we all know, Calvinism is accused of making God the author of/responsible for/culpable for sin.
We all know that.
But culpability requires intent, and God has infallible foreknowledge.
So we have a difficult problem here.

Except it shouldn't be difficult for this reason.
Gen 50/20 But as for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is to this day, to save many people alive.

We've quoted Genesis 50/20 many times, and we usually stop at "God meant it for good", which is partially incorrect on our part.
God's intent was not only "for good", it was for a different outcome ALTOGETHER, which I've never picked up on before.
Gods intent is always for good, agreed. We must always look at God and see a glass half full, rather then one half empty, the scriptures are written in a way, where we can choose to perceive God in either light and for me Calvinism, when you listen to what is said, i can't help but see how Calvinism appears to see God in that half empty light, ie, the negative. Good always works for good and even though there is much evil God will try and turn it to good, he is working for good all the time, we must never forget that.
It was "to bring it about as it is to this day, to save many people"
Many people will be saved, but it's my belief God would like to save all, because that would be a good thing if no one went to hell, wouldn't it? Which gives God the greatest glory saving some, or everyone? So I struggle to see why God would only want to save some and not try and save all.

Why would they?
Why would ANYBODY do (or not do) ANYTHING???? Islamics claim that Isa (Jesus) NEVER WAS CRUCIFIED AT ALL (some other poor slob was made to "look like him", and murdered in His place). You can't make this garbage up!!!!

You do not appear to understand that God's commands are for US to obey, not HIM.
And perhaps you do not appear to understand that God never sets himself up as a hypocrite one who says something is good and just and yet he goes another direction.

He even stated when it comes to God and LOVE we're to be imitators of him and his character. Eph 5:1 If his character is so foreign to what he's commanded how could that even in the slightest way be possible? Clearly it couldn't be. You wouldn't know what that character is it'd be double minded all over the place. In other words no stability. Confusion.

God is not the author of such.

And perhaps you do not appear to understand that God never sets himself up as a hypocrite one who says something is good and just and yet he goes another direction.

He even stated when it comes to God and LOVE we're to be imitators of him and his character. Eph 5:1 If his character is so foreign to what he's commanded how could that even in the slightest way be possible? Clearly it couldn't be. You wouldn't know what that character is it'd be double minded all over the place. In other words no stability. Confusion.

God is not the author of such.
What are you talking about?

What "another direction" would, allegedly, make God a "hypocrite"?

There is absolutely NOTHING hypocritical about commanding people to do what they ought to do; but also determining to leave some of them in the sin that they desire.

Back