Advice to Mormons from a Former BYU Professor

Janice Bower

Robert Millet spoke to a group of prospective Mormon missionaries and stated:
"As Latter-day saints, you already know more about God and Christ and the plan of salvation than anyone who will attack you. Take my word for that; you already know more than your attackers will ever know."

"Avoid the spirit of contention."

"We do not argue. We do not debate. We testify."

"...if everything we teach and believe is in the Bible, we wouldn't have needed a Joseph Smith, a Book of Mormon, a Doctrines & Covenants or a restoration!"

Millet said that the single most important issue is was Joseph Smith called of God, and that most doctrines that are distinctive to the Latter-day Saints are not from the Bible, but by revelation, through modern apostles and prophets.

Millet encouraged the BYU students that while on their mission, answer the questions not directly, but in a manner the questions should have been asked in the first place.

"As Latter-day saints, you already know more about God and Christ and the plan of salvation than anyone who will attack you. Take my word for that; you already know more than your attackers will ever know."

D&C 71:7 Wherefore, confound your enemies; call upon them to meet you both in public and in private; and inasmuch as ye are faithful their shame shall be made manifest. :)

"...if everything we teach and believe is in the Bible, we wouldn't have needed a Joseph Smith, a Book of Mormon, a Doctrines & Covenants or a restoration!"

Millet said that the single most important issue is was Joseph Smith called of God, and that most doctrines that are distinctive to the Latter-day Saints are not from the Bible, but by revelation, through modern apostles and prophets.

Millet encouraged the BYU students that while on their mission, answer the questions not directly, but in a manner the questions should have been asked in the first place.

D&C 71:7 Wherefore, confound your enemies; call upon them to meet you both in public and in private; and inasmuch as ye are faithful their shame shall be made manifest. :)

There is one thing for sure--the critics here are confounded, when it comes to discussing the Biblical text, and to their shame. They look for every particle of dirt to mine and exploit--and shun most engagements of the Biblical scriptures. Shame on that approach.

This post is just another example of that.

Matthew 15:8-9---King James Version
8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

So--when are we going to start the Biblical discussions?

He does that through my daily repentance...
Repentance per Mormonism is permanent forsaking of sin. Have you repented of pride?

D&C 82
7 And now, verily I say unto you, I, the Lord, will not lay any sin to your charge; go your ways and sin no more; but unto that soul who sinneth shall the former sins return, saith the Lord your God.

"Go your ways and sin no more, but..."

Repentance per Mormonism is permanent forsaking of sin. Have you repented of pride?

D&C 82
7 And now, verily I say unto you, I, the Lord, will not lay any sin to your charge; go your ways and sin no more; but unto that soul who sinneth shall the former sins return, saith the Lord your God.

"Go your ways and sin no more, but..."
Nope!

Isn't Millet the weasel that instructed the mishies (on a video) in training to not answer the questions that people asked them, but to answer the questions that people should have asked them. IOW, be dishonest about what the SLC sect really teaches in an attempt to hook them with their false doctrines. I know that drill firsthand!

Isn't Millet the weasel that instructed the mishies (on a video) in training to not answer the questions that people asked them, but to answer the questions that people should have asked them. IOW, be dishonest about what the SLC sect really teaches in an attempt to hook them with their false doctrines. I know that drill firsthand!
Yes, but why is a question an attack --- especially if the Mormons have all the answers? Is Millet misrepresenting people he hasn't met? It sounds like he has a chip on his shoulder.

Yes, but why is a question an attack --- especially if the Mormons have all the answers? Is Millet misrepresenting people he hasn't met? It sounds like he has a chip on his shoulder.

News Release

Mormons’ Knowledge of Bible, Christianity Evident in National U.S. Pew Study

A new study from the Pew Research Center shows that Mormons score among the highest of all religion groups in their knowledge of Christianity, the Bible and other religious information. The nationwide poll of 3,412 individuals was conducted in May and June of this year. While the study showed that “large numbers of Americans are uninformed about the tenets, practices, history and leading figures of major faith traditions — including their own,” there were positive findings.

In the study, Mormons scored higher than any other group in questions about the Bible and Christianity. Church members are often asked whether Latter-day Saints use the Bible. The Bible is one of the foundational volumes of scripture used in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is used in conjunction with other scriptures, including the Book of Mormon.

News Release

A new study from the Pew Research Center shows that Mormons score among the highest of all religion groups in their knowledge of Christianity, the Bible and other religious information. The nationwide poll of 3,412 individuals was conducted in May and June of this year. While the study showed that “large numbers of Americans are uninformed about the tenets, practices, history and leading figures of major faith traditions — including their own,” there were positive findings.
In the study, Mormons scored higher than any other group in questions about the Bible and Christianity. Church members are often asked whether Latter-day Saints use the Bible. The Bible is one of the foundational volumes of scripture used in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is used in conjunction with other scriptures, including the Book of Mormon.

A Pew Research Center ---- big whoop! Pews don't save. You took Millet's advice and didn't answer the question that was asked.

A Pew Research Center ---- big whoop! Pews don't save.
That was not a Pew Research question, then you asked...."Yes, but why is a question an attack --- especially if the Mormons have all the answers?" Yes we do have most of the answers, we study the Bible more...

That was not a Pew Research question, then you asked...."Yes, but why is a question an attack --- especially if the Mormons have all the answers?" Yes we do have most of the answers, we study the Bible more...
God never said you study the Bible more and what man or research center is omniscient?

3,412 were part of the Study, and we topped everyone... we did not do the study it was a independent contractor.
It makes no difference who the "contractor" is/was ---- he is/was not God. How ridiculous can you get?

How is that contractor related to this topic:

Advice to Mormons from a Former BYU Professor​

Last edited:
It makes no difference who the "contractor" is/was ---- he is/was not God. How ridiculous can you get?
Janice Bower said:

Just pointing our that because we are know for better knowledge of the Bible we most likely have better answers...

News Release

Back