Shall we CONTINUE in sin that grace might abound ?

False you have no idea what I have gained or lost in my life.
False ... I have many ideas about that, one of them I stated in my last post to you, slick.

Nothing but assumptions once again.
That's your MO -- (Remember "you're not Reformed?" ?)

Now back to your game playing since you reject every single scripture I have quoted in every thread. That says much more about you than it does me.
Prove that I have rejected any Scripture ... ?

Your problem is definitely with Gods word, not with me.
Trust me, it's you ?

Last edited:
ok I didn't catch that and if that is the case I completely agree. its a matter of the heart and not ritual.
I got this from Ray this morning and I thought you might enjoy it.

What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? Romans 6:1​

Amazing Grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me. What do you think that we as believers should try do to make grace increase? Share the gospel? Love one another? Be an example and live godly lives?

I decided to do a study on love today and I sort of got stuck before I got started. I realized that love is a verb an action verb. It's what we are called to do. To love God and to love each other. Not just a warm mushy feeling but in word and indeed. We are to speak words of life to one another. That would be love. Being tender and kindhearted.

Because God is love and wanted a being like himself that he could bestow his love on, he created man in his own image. Man is God’s offspring, the crown of his creative genius. Because we are his creation God loves us. Did the fall change that? No because while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. That's how much he loves us.

In every act and thought of God there is love. Every command he ever gave every law he ordained, every precept he laid down—anything and everything that ever came from God is an expression of his infinite love. God is love. That will never change. The Bible says that heaven and earth will pass away but God's word will remain. And his word is how we know, how we come to understand that he is the God of love.

It's so important for us to know this so that we can tell others about his love. The love that will save them. That's love in action. That's God's grace abounding.

Of course the argument will be if God is such a God of love why does he allow bad things to happen? They probably discuss that one quite a bit on the Apologetics Board. But that's not where I'm headed today. I intend to just focus on his love and his grace and his mercy.

I got this from Ray this morning and I thought you might enjoy it.

We should not be trying to live by law at all...

The New Covenant is about living by relationship with the Lord, being led by the Holy Spirit, not about trying to keep the "ministry of condemnation" engraved on tablets of stone.

On a scale of 1-10, how "tender" and "kindhearted" do you think the posters on this forum are?
I think all of us that post here at one time or another have walked in the flesh and gotten upset with a brother in Christ and made a few unkind remarks. I think it has something to do with the format of being on the Internet and the fact that we tend to talk past each other rather than really look at what we are saying or trying to say. And it's really easy to be misinterpreted and it can be very frustrating.

Then bring in the fact of all of our personalities are different. But I think we should expect that and understand we have different ideas and different opinions and not put each other down because we don't think alike.

You do have to be somewhat thick-skinned in order to continue posting here it just comes with the territory. But the only person I can change is myself.

The irony is we are on a Christian website proclaiming Jesus is Lord but not honoring him by being tender and kindhearted to one another, loving one another.

The New Covenant is about living by relationship with the Lord, being led by the Holy Spirit, not about trying to keep the "ministry of condemnation" engraved on tablets of stone.
Sounds good to me, I have no argument with that.

I think this is the main point that Ray was emphasizing:

This attitude always pleases God. God is really not at all interested in our ritual. That is something we need so desperately to understand. He is not impressed by the fact that we come to church every Sunday, if that is all we do. He doesn't care that we stand and sing and pray and witness, or whatever we do, if our heart is not in it. What he is after is what happens in the heart. David understood this when he wrote, My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise. (Psalms 51:17)

That is what God is after with us. He doesn't want any kind of religious nonsense. What he wants is a heart that is open, responsive, honest, and obedient before him. With that God is greatly pleased. That delights his heart.

True yet it is also true

Romans 8:4 (KJV)
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

But you do realize the N.T. talks about believers a saints who are set apart, not sinners who continue in sin.
I was out of town a couple of weeks ago and we went to church with my wife's cousin and her family. They are Baptist and we are Orthodox. The preachers sermon was on sin and he spoke of sin in the same manner, that is, before becoming Christians we were sinners. He used the analogy of a white board that had all our sins written on them and then we accepted Christ for who He is, the white board is now clean. The preacher spoke about himself in the past tense, when I was a sinner.

Now if there was a coffee hour at his church and I sat down and spoke with him, I sure he would say that he sins. I would guess that he might get angry and say something hurtful to a friend, family member or stranger. Angry thoughts, gossip. We all do these things, we fall short, but I have never understood the, when I was a sinner. We still sin.

Do some Christian faith traditions teach that after accepting Christ, anytime we sin, the Father sees Christ on the cross and not us?

Do you agree ?
I agree that we are set apart, yes! Because of our baptism (Orthodox understanding) this is when Christ, the Light of the World, enters in our hearts. We are born again through water and Spirit. However, St Paul warns the Galatians, a community of Christians he as already passed on the Gospel, that passions may predispose an individual to discord from God and mankind (Galatians 5:19-21). The evil one will always on the prowl. St John writes in this first epistle that we should confess our sins (1 John 1:9) and St James makes it pretty clear we should confess our sins regularly (James 5:16).

You may not agree but this is the Eastern Orthodox perspective on this. Thank God for His Grace, that we may always have our hearts open to It!

Thanks for the dialogue!

I was out of town a couple of weeks ago and we went to church with my wife's cousin and her family. They are Baptist and we are Orthodox. The preachers sermon was on sin and he spoke of sin in the same manner, that is, before becoming Christians we were sinners. He used the analogy of a white board that had all our sins written on them and then we accepted Christ for who He is, the white board is now clean. The preacher spoke about himself in the past tense, when I was a sinner.
An idea I have for a Gospel Tract is that of Tabla Rasa; IE a clean slate. Having our Sins Forgiven cleans the Slate of our legal indebtedness to God like an eraser; that's great. But it can't remain clean, or neutral, it now has to have Christ's record of Righteousness written on it. Now our slate is so full, that if you would add your Works to it; you would have to take an eraser to Christ's Godliness, just to gain space to write yours...

If we're Justified through our Post Salvific Works, then their Properties are Communicated to Justification by Grace through Faith apart from Works. And the Properties of Justification by Grace through Faith apart from Works, are Communicated to Post Salvific Works. If we are Justified through Post Salvific Works, then the saying "if by Works, Grace would no longer Grace" must be a false statement...

I think we must have two Categories of Works which are inseparable; but do not mix...

Last edited:

Now if there was a coffee hour at his church and I sat down and spoke with him, I sure he would say that he sins. I would guess that he might get angry and say something hurtful to a friend, family member or stranger. Angry thoughts, gossip. We all do these things, we fall short, but I have never understood the, when I was a sinner. We still sin.

Do some Christian faith traditions teach that after accepting Christ, anytime we sin, the Father sees Christ on the cross and not us?

I agree that we are set apart, yes! Because of our baptism (Orthodox understanding) this is when Christ, the Light of the World, enters in our hearts. We are born again through water and Spirit. However, St Paul warns the Galatians, a community of Christians he as already passed on the Gospel, that passions may predispose an individual to discord from God and mankind (Galatians 5:19-21). The evil one will always on the prowl. St John writes in this first epistle that we should confess our sins (1 John 1:9) and St James makes it pretty clear we should confess our sins regularly (James 5:16).

You may not agree but this is the Eastern Orthodox perspective on this. Thank God for His Grace, that we may always have our hearts open to It!

Thanks for the dialogue!
In my exalted opinion, whoops I meant humble opinion. You've got it down, the Holy Spirit is teaching you the truth.

As far as a freshly cleaned whiteboard goes even if you don't use it after a month or two it's not going to be so clean and will probably have to be wiped down before you can use it. It gets polluted by the atmosphere and the environment.

The kingdom of God is at hand but is not fully established we still live in a fallen world that's why we need to put the armor of God on.

Thanks for the dialogue!
Hello

FYI

As Baptists your wife's cousin and her family hold to believers baptism

The Eastern orthodox I believe baptize infants

As Baptists they would reject baptismal regeneration

and hold that spiritual life is by the baptism en the Holy ghost

1 Corinthians 12:13 (KJV)
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Back