Witnessing To A Roman Catholic . . . . .

RayneBeau

As a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and His Word, does witnessing to a Roman Catholic usually go something like this: ? . . . . . . .

Q. The evangelist asks the Roman Catholic; "Sir, what do you believe?"

A. The Roman Catholic responds saying; "I believe what my church believes."

Q. "And what does your church believe sir? the evangelist politely asks.

A. "My church believes what I believe," is the Roman Catholic response.

Q. "But what do you both believe?" asked the evangelist, trying to press the Roman Catholic for a decision.

A. "Why, we both believe the same thing!"

Humorous, 😉👍 but I fear that many nRCs would react similarly. Knowing what and why you believe are not popular subjects, 😢 especially with the current "can't we all just get along?" and "fear of being offensive" mentality popular today. And then there is the idea that defending the faith is the job of the "religious" folk.🙄

My two scents,
--Rich

As a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and His Word, does witnessing to a Roman Catholic usually go something like this: ? . . . . . . .

Q. "But what do you both believe?" asked the evangelist, trying to press the Roman Catholic for a decision.

Chesterton observed that he wanted a church that was right where he was wrong. He converted to Catholicism about ten or fifteen years before he died. I've always loved reading Chesterton, but continue to be baffled that he could ever be Catholic.

Even more ironically is the fact that C.S. Lewis also felt baffled that Chesterton could believe in God, and yet Chesterton became one of the primary influences which led C.S. Lewis back to Christianity.

Smart man. Looks like he finally saw the light.
Most people who knew him pointed out that his writings were always right in line with the faith, but it wasn't until he married a Catholic that he felt it necessary to convert to Catholicism.

First of all, not everyone here is a lutheran or attends a luthern church. I have NEVER been to a luthern church. Nor have I read any of luther's works. But I have read Scripture. My faith is in Christ Jesus, NOT luther.

I believe that Jesus died on the cross for me, so that I will have eternal life. That debt was paid in FULL ON THE CROSS. Just because someone is a nonRc, does not automatically make them a follower of luther.

Someone simply shared with me about Jesus and what He had done for me; and how through HIM, I receive eternal life. NOTHING else. NO mary, NO saints, NO angels, NO dead people.

I can't even talk about Jesus, without a Rc... but, but, precious mary; but, but, but but mary, but, but, but, but you have to praise our precious mary. All conversation gets diverted to the topic of mary right away.

And then wonder why those outside of the Rcc, think Rc's worship mary, instead of Jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:

First of all, not everyone here is a lutheran or attends a luthern church. I have NEVER been to a luthern church. Nor have I read any of luther's works. But I have read Scripture. My faith is in Christ Jesus, NOT luther.
But your theological outlook comes from either Luther or one of his cohorts like Zwingli, Calvin, John Smythe etc. You just didn't wake up one day, start reading the Bible, and then magically believe as they believed. You follow men in one way or another - they came on the scene way before you. Your Christian faith is not pure and unadulterated by others.

As a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and His Word, does witnessing to an evangelist usually go something like this?...........

Q. The Roman Catholic asks the evangelist: "Sir, what do you believe?"

A. The evangelist responds saying: "I believe what Luther and his fellow travelers believe."

"Travelers"? Actually, I would be more than happy to tell the RCCer what I believe--that I am saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ and what He did for me on the cross, and not by anything I did or can do, that I am helpless to save myself, and must rely totally on Jesus Christ to save me and make a new creation out of me. No need to mention Luther at all. Just say what the Bible teaches us.
Q. "And what does Luther and his fellow travelers believe?" the Roman Catholic politely asks

A. "Luther and his fellow travelers believe what I believe" is the evangelists response.

False. See above. I doubt that any Protestant would go around mentioning Luther in a dialogue witnessing to a Roman Catholic, seeing as how most Catholics despise him and think him practically the devil incarnate. We would point to what the Bible teaches.
Q. "But what do you both believe?" asked the Roman Catholic, trying to press the evangelist for a decision.

A. "Why we all believe the same thing!"
Again, false. Has any Protestant on here said anything like this to Catholics in debates? But we do see Catholics upholding what their church teaches, since they have been conditioned to believe what their church teaches, and that their church can teach no false doctrines and that it was founded by Jesus Christ--both of which are false.

But your theological outlook comes from either Luther or one of his cohorts like Zwingli, Calvin, John Smythe etc.

Actually, it comes from the Bible--you know, where the true Gospel of Jesus Christ can be found. No need for the RCC at all.
You just didn't wake up one day, start reading the Bible, and then magically believe as they believed. You follow men in one way or another - they came on the scene way before you. Your Christian faith is not pure and unadulterated by others.
Actually, I have read of people who came to believe in the true Jesus Christ of the Bible just by reading the Bible, like former Mormons and JWs...imagine that.

Now, it is true that I have been taught by Lutheran Sunday School teachers and pastors. But the Bible--not Luther--was always first and foremost in those classes. We delved into God's holy word, studied it and studied it some more. God's holy word, the Bible--not our church body or Luther--is paramount with us. Unlike your church, where the RCC and its pope and Mary are most important.

But your theological outlook comes from either Luther or one of his cohorts like Zwingli, Calvin, John Smythe etc. You just didn't wake up one day, start reading the Bible, and then magically believe as they believed. You follow men in one way or another - they came on the scene way before you. Your Christian faith is not pure and unadulterated by others.
Not hardly. What Luther taught regarding sola scriptura or sola fide is in the bible. When i was studying my bible as a young believer i didn't even know who Luther was let alone align my theology with his. I can find what i believe in the bible. You can't. The more accurate statement would be regarding the catholic. You didn't wake up one day, start reading your bible and magically believed in marys IC or papal infallibility or the papacy in general. The rcc fed those lies to you.

It isn't a question is whether I believe or do not believe you. It is a question of commission or mandate. You do not have the apostolic commission to teach and preach.
Why shouldn't I?

Alright, not let me give a conversation with a Protestant fundamentalist:

Q: "How do you know that the Bible is Theopneustos?"

A: "Because that which is Theopneustos says so"

Q: "How do you know which books are Theopneustos?

A: "The Holy Spirit testifies in my heart."

Q: "How do you know that it is the Holy Spirit?"

A: "My fundamentalist pastor says so."

Q: "How do you know your fundamentalist pastor is correct?"

A: "Because my fundamentalist pastor is a man of God who teaches what is Scriptural."

Q: "How do you know he teaches what is Scriptural?"

A: "Because the Holy Spirit testifies in my heart that what he teaches is Scriptural"

It isn't a question is whether I believe or do not believe you. It is a question of commission or mandate. You do not have the apostolic commission to teach and preach.

Why shouldn't I?

A: "Because my fundamentalist pastor is a man of God who teaches what is Scriptural."

A: "Because the Holy Spirit testifies in my heart that what he teaches is Scriptural"
You do not have the apostolic commission to teach and preach.
Our commission comes from Jesus. So ya, we can preach the gospel whenever we please. Being a pastor of a local assembly and preaching the gospel are two different things. And yes again, we can teach. Paul said the bond servant of the Lord must be kind to all, able to teach...

The thread isn't about conversations but witnessing. No one has ever asked me when they are witnessing what i think about Gods word being theopneustos and ive never asked that of anyone else. But we do ask about if they know Jesus. Do they think they will go to heaven? What about sin. Jesus died to save us from something. What is that something?

Our commission comes from Jesus. So ya, we can preach the gospel whenever we please. Being a pastor of a local assembly and preaching the gospel are two different things. And yes again, we can teach. Paul said the bond servant of the Lord must be kind to all, able to teach...

The thread isn't about conversations but witnessing. No one has ever asked me when they are witnessing what i think about Gods word being theopneustos and ive never asked that of anyone else. But we do ask about if they know Jesus. Do they think they will go to heaven? What about sin. Jesus died to save us from something. What is that something?
Not sure if this belongs here or not, but Alistair Begg is one of the best preachers I have heard online--not bad for a Reformed guy. :p Anyway, he discusses feelings vs. knowing when it comes to faith in Jesus Christ:

We cannot "cooperate" with God in saving ourselves, as you well know. It is ALL God's doing...how can we "cooperate" when we are, by nature, children of wrath, dead in our trespasses and sins, as Paul writes in Ephesians 2. We must be made alive--passive tense. Someone else makes us alive--and it isn't membership in the RCC church or Mary or a Catholic priest or the pope.

This isn't a bad point. However, it doesn't apply to me due to the fact that I reject all of them, and my posting history provides a clear testament to this fact.

We cannot "cooperate" with God in saving ourselves, as you well know. It is ALL God's doing...how can we "cooperate" when we are, by nature, children of wrath, dead in our trespasses and sins, as Paul writes in Ephesians 2. We must be made alive--passive tense. Someone else makes us alive--and it isn't membership in the RCC church or Mary or a Catholic priest or the pope.

Acts 2:38 And Peter said to them, “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children and to all that are far off, every one whom the Lord our God calls to him.” 40 And he testified with many other words and exhorted them, saying, “Save yourselves from this crooked generation.”

That is a false assumption we are not all lead by the nose by men like RCs. We have brains and we can use them and read scripture for ourselves.

Back