Trinitarian confusion at Romans 9:5

For starters, he was the only man who did not sin; he was the perfect image of God — which the first Adam failed to live up to when he ate from the tree.
If he had been an ordinary man of the earth, he would have sinned, since Romans 5:12 "Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, so also death was passed on to all men, because all sinned. "

εἰς πάντας ἀνθρώπους ὁ θάνατος διῆλθεν, ἐφ’ ᾧ πάντες ἥμαρτον

Your doctrine is far more incoherent then mine, because it violates the spiritual reality of human existence. It's an illusion and a self-deception.

If he had been an ordinary man of the earth, he would have sinned, since Romans 5:12 "Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, so also death was passed on to all men, because all sinned. "

εἰς πάντας ἀνθρώπους ὁ θάνατος διῆλθεν, ἐφ’ ᾧ πάντες ἥμαρτον

Your doctrine is far more incoherent then mine, because it violates the spiritual reality of human existence. It's an illusion and a self-deception.
What do you mean by “not an ordinary man” ? The bible says he was a human being like us in all ways, and subject to temptation like us all, yet without sin. If none of us can live the kind of life he did, then he was not a genuine human being & effectively cheating & the bible is lying when it tells us that we are able to , and should emulate him.

What do you mean by “not an ordinary man” ? The bible says he was a human being like us in all ways, and subject to temptation like us all, yet without sin. If none of us can live the kind of life he did, then he was not a genuine human being & effectively cheating & the bible is lying when it tells us that we are able to , and should emulate him.
Whilst I disagree with Apollinaris the Younger as to the ψυχῆς, of Christ being replaced completely by o λόγος from οὐρανός, such that there was no human ψυχῆς (this denying the kenosis of Phil 2:7), I believe he was on the right lines. I recall discussing this before: as it is written God (i.e. the Holy Spirit) breathed πνοή ζωής into Adam, so it breathed the same into Jesus, even o λόγος from οὐρανός (subject to kenosis).

Whilst I disagree with Apollinaris the Younger as to the ψυχῆς, of Christ being replaced completely by o λόγος from οὐρανός, such that there was no human ψυχῆς (this denying the kenosis of Phil 2:7), I believe he was on the right lines. I recall discussing this before: as it is written God (i.e. the Holy Spirit) breathed πνοή ζωής into Adam, so it breathed the same into Jesus, even o λόγος from οὐρανός (subject to kenosis).
You are an unorthodox (heterodox) Trinitarian I suppose : acknowledging that he was God "before" the Incarnation, but not during. This position is just as unscriptural.

You are an unorthodox (heterodox) Trinitarian I suppose : acknowledging that he was God "before" the Incarnation, but not during. This position is just as unscriptural.
Hardly. The bible shows the Θεὸς title of the Father being applied also to (a) the Word in heaven, (b) humans on earth, in particular The son of God, cf. John 10:34-36 but always in a qualified sense.

In neither of these qualified senses is Θεὸς "ὁ ὢν ἐπὶ πάντων", nor in a Trinitarian sense.

The way to gasp the Word's position in the kingdom of heaven, is to grasp the analogy of David's position over Israel. God glorifies each with himself.

καὶ νῦν δόξασόν με σύ, Πάτερ, παρὰ σεαυτῷ τῇ δόξῃ ᾗ εἶχον πρὸ τοῦ τὸν κόσμον εἶναι παρὰ σοί.

You have to account for Θεὸς being applied to other than the Father, both in heaven and on earth, in a monotheistic system. The underlying hypostasis wields the Father's power. What is in heaven is capable of being πρὸς τὸν Θεόν and being invested with the whole power of the Father (Col 2:9).

There is also nothing to stop what is in heaven "becoming a man" as such is what is plainly taught.

The biggest problems that I have with Sharp's rule are that it does not reckon with all instances of TSKS constructions and that it assumes the article's main purpose is to allow the reader to determine the number of individuals being referred to. These problems obscure the actual function of the article, and the rule is hard pressed to explain the article when it is repeated when a single individual is in view like in John 20:28 or Rev. 4:11.
Sorry, I'm playing a bit of catch up here. Both of these texts are examples of a direct address, so they do not fall under the umbrella of the rule. Sharp notes this exception and used John 20:28 in particular as an example. Additionally, in Revelation 4:11 the Andreas family variant which has Κύριε ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν may tell us something of how ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν --the reading of most manuscripts--was understood.

Or, as I've suggested, Sharp's rule has nothing to do with it, but the application of the rule leads to a similar conclusion by chance. But my disagreement with the rule does not mean the discussion isn't worth having. From what I've seen, I think my suggestion has better explanatory power, fewer problems, and less complexity.
I think it's possible to overcomplicate things. There are no exceptions to the "Sharp" rule #1 in the GNT, over at least eighty examples. I also don't recall seeing a significant number of exceptions outside the GNT, and all the ones I have had proposed to me as exceptions have failed on some point of the rule (plural, impersonal, proper names, al.). So often the rule is accused based upon a misunderstanding of it. Sharp's biggest problem isn't the rule itself, but the textual variants he chose for some of the passages.

But if you suppose, for instance, that the purpose of the article is to inform the reader whether the author is viewing the individuals/groups/things individually or collectively, there is ambiguity in passages like Tit. 2:13. The testimony of the ECFs concerning their understanding of the passage isn't proof of the validity of the rule. It only demonstrates that the grammatical and syntactical features of the language allowed them to reach the same conclusion about the author's meaning without informing us how they reached that conclusion. If the term "God" does distinguish the Father from Jesus, the single article uniting them might indicate that the coming glory is of them collectively (τῆς δόξης τοῦ μεγάλου θεοῦ καὶ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ). Such would imply that the glory which Jesus possesses is on the level of God himself. This is especially true when the remainder of the passage speaks clearly of Jesus doing things that are otherwise attributed to God ὃς ἔδωκεν ἑαυτὸν ὑπὲρ ἡμῶν, ἵνα λυτρώσηται ἡμᾶς ἀπὸ πάσης ἀνομίας καὶ καθαρίσῃ ἑαυτῷ λαὸν περιούσιον.
I don't find it plausible here for some reason:
  1. This rule as you state it is usually true of proper names or things rather than titles.

2. I haven't found an exception to this rule in the GNT when we are considering non-Christologically significant passages. I'm not sure anyone else has either, and even Winstanley admitted outside the Christologically significant texts he found no exceptions. He also admitted the exceptions would only be where Christ would otherwise be called θεός (and not, I may add, where he is called κύριος). Since separating Christ from θεός is a theological supposition made by those who detract from the "Sharp" construction, this to me is quite glaring.

3. The ECFs disagree in interpretation in many places, and quite often the heretical position is addressed. I have yet to see any other interpretation at Titus 2:13 among the Greeks at all, orthodox or heterodox, and I have yet to find any saying Paul in Titus 2:13 calls Christ "the glory." They say that Paul is calling Christ "great God."

Three comments in particular stand out to me (using established translations):
  1. John Chrysostom, Commentary on Philippians 2
    Is there a great and little God? With them [the Arians] there is a great and a little God . . . If He were little, how would he also be God? . . . But the Son, he [Arius] says, is little. But it is thou that sayest this, for the Scripture says the contrary: as of the Father, so it speaks of the Son; for listen to Paul, saying, "Looking for the blessed hope, and appearing of the glory [viz., glorious appearing] of our great God." But can he have said "appearing" of the Father? Nay, that he may the more convince you, he has added with reference to the appearing "of the great God." Is it then not said of the Father? By no means. For the sequel suffers it not which says, "The appearing of our great God and Saviour Jesus Christ." See, the Son is great also. How then do you speak of small and great?" Listen to the Prophet too, calling Him . . . "The mighty God"

You'll notice that right after quoting τῆς δόξης, no importance on it is stressed in the commentary. He attaches appearing to "Great God." The simplest explanation is that he is taking τῆς δόξης as adjectival. Just as I have, Chrysostom draws a link between the passage of Isaiah 9:6. Note that his wording also is very clear, that the "sequel," καὶ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, does not allow "great God" here to be a reference to the Father.

2. Basil, On Matthew 20:23
    When the Apostle said of the Son, we look for ’that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ,’ did he think of Him as greater than the Father?

Here, Basil quotes the passage in full, but sees only one subject. The final clause, "did he think of him as greater than the Father," certainly, demonstrates that he reads this as Paul calling Christ the "Great God."

3. Cyril of Alexandria, Scholia on the Incarnation of the Only-Begotten, 24
    For the grace of God our Saviour hath appeared to all men, teaching us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts we should live soberly and uprightly and piously in this world awaiting the blessed hope and coming of the glory of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ. Lo our Lord Jesus Christ is most openly called God and Great: for He it is Whose coming of glory we awaiting, are diligent to live soberly and unblameably. But if He be a God-clad man, how is He also great God?

Here, like Chrysostom, τῆς δόξης makes the most sense if Cyril understands it adjectivally. He identifies Christ a being "most openly called God and Great," and says we are awaiting his "coming of glory" (rather, "glorious coming"). So the reference here to the reading, just as with Chrysostom, is treated as clear rather than ambiguous.

4. Theodoret of Cyrus, Letter 146
    The same teaching is given us in the Apostle's words to the excellent Titus “Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.” Here he calls the same both Saviour, and great God, and Jesus Christ.

This comment is most simply explained by the usage of the article, something we have observed in numerous instances throughout the GNT. As with the above, no stress is placed on τῆς δόξης.
In addition to these, Gregory of Nyssa on multiple occasions says Christ here is identified by Paul as "great God." (Against Eunomius, 6.2, 11.2, al).

I don't see any indication that this text was considered ambiguous by the native speakers, and two of them (Chrysostom and Cyril) state the opposite. I don't see any indication that the Greek speaking heterodox before the time of Erasmus made this claim either. So again, as I have said before, Sharp simply highlighted the neglect and abuse of the rule which was known well before him (e.g., Glassius, Beza, et al.)

Sorry, I'm playing a bit of catch up here.
No worries.
Both of these texts are examples of a direct address, so they do not fall under the umbrella of the rule. Sharp notes this exception and used John 20:28 in particular as an example. Additionally, in Revelation 4:11 the Andreas family variant which has Κύριε ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν may tell us something of how ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν --the reading of most manuscripts--was understood.
What justification is there for assuming a direct address would dictate a change in the grammar? If these examples read, "Ἰησοῦς ἐστιν ὁ κύριός μου καὶ ὁ θεός μου" and "ἄξιός ἐστιν ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν" what difference would it make? What justification is there for this exception? My complaints are that the rule offers no explanation for its exceptions and that it offers no proof that the article's purpose is for identification of the number of persons involved as it supposes. Indeed, it is the use or disuse of the article in the exceptions that suggests that marking the number of people that are involved is at best one among other ways that the article is being used.
I think it's possible to overcomplicate things. There are no exceptions to the "Sharp" rule #1 in the GNT, over at least eighty examples. I also don't recall seeing a significant number of exceptions outside the GNT, and all the ones I have had proposed to me as exceptions have failed on some point of the rule (plural, impersonal, proper names, al.). So often the rule is accused based upon a misunderstanding of it. Sharp's biggest problem isn't the rule itself, but the textual variants he chose for some of the passages.
What do these things have to do with the complaints that I have raised about it? Sharp's rule 1 comes with built-in exceptions.

I must leave off here to go worship, but I'll pick up with the remainder later this evening or tomorrow. I'm enjoying the conversation.

What justification is there for assuming a direct address would dictate a change in the grammar? If these examples read, "Ἰησοῦς ἐστιν ὁ κύριός μου καὶ ὁ θεός μου" and "ἄξιός ἐστιν ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν" what difference would it make? What justification is there for this exception?
Sharp notes Rule 6 applies to two individuals (I didn't want to quote elliptically, so I bolded the sentences surrounding somewhat superfluous details),

Except distinct and different actions are intended to be attributed to one and the same person; in which case, if the sentence is not expressed agreeably to the three first rules, but appears as an exception to this sixth rule, or even the first, (for, this exception relates to both rules,) the context most explain or point out plainly the person to whom the two nouns relate: as in I Thess. iii. 6 . . . And also in John, xx. 28 . . . If the two nouns (viz. ὁ κύριός and ὁ θεός μου) . . . were the leading nominative substantives of a sentence, they would express the descriptive qualities or dignities of two distinct persons, according to the sixth rule; but, in this last text, two distinct divine characters are applied to one person only ; for, the context clearly expresses to whom the words were addressed by Thomas... (Remarks..., pp. 15, 16)​
He proceeds after that to note several other examples of the exceptions, particularly in Revelation (1:8, 17, 18; 22:2, 13--I'm just skimming quickly). IMHO I think he should have listed this as a separate rule.

What do these things have to do with the complaints that I have raised about it? Sharp's rule 1 comes with built-in exceptions.
I hope the above addresses your question. I may not be following your point correctly. Unfortunately, I usually come to these at the end of the day and my mind is already fried!

Last edited:
Sharp notes Rule 6 applies to two individuals (I didn't want to quote elliptically, so I bolded the sentences surrounding somewhat superfluous details),

Except distinct and different actions are intended to be attributed to one and the same person; in which case, if the sentence is not expressed agreeably to the three first rules, but appears as an exception to this sixth rule, or even the first, (for, this exception relates to both rules,) the context most explain or point out plainly the person to whom the two nouns relate: as in I Thess. iii. 6 . . . And also in John, xx. 28 . . . If the two nouns (viz. ὁ κύριός and ὁ θεός μου) . . . were the leading nominative substantives of a sentence, they would express the descriptive qualities or dignities of two distinct persons, according to the sixth rule; but, in this last text, two distinct divine characters are applied to one person only ; for, the context clearly expresses to whom the words were addressed by Thomas... (Remarks..., pp. 15, 16)​
He proceeds after that to note several other examples of the exceptions, particularly in Revelation (1:8, 17, 18; 22:2, 13--I'm just skimming quickly). IMHO I think he should have listed this as a separate rule.

I hope the above addresses your question. I may not be following your point correctly. Unfortunately, I usually come to these at the end of the day and my mind is already fried!
I'm glad you took the time to write this before I responded to the earlier part, because I fear we've been talking past each other. I've given the first rule below (with transliteration for the Greek) and some remarks about it. That's the part I was intending to discuss, though the diversion may well have been my own fault.

1) When the copulative kai connects two nouns of the same case, [viz. nouns (either substantive or adjective, or participles) of personal description respecting office, dignity, affinity, or connection, and attributes, properties, or qualities, good or ill,] if the article, or any of its cases, precedes the first of the said nouns or participles and is not repeated before the second noun or participle, the latter always relates to the same person that is expressed or described by the first noun or participle: i.e. it denotes a farther description of the first-named person.

Sharp seemed to be aware of his rule's inability to account for certain passages and gave several exceptions to it throughout his work. For instance, he said that his rule did not apply to plurals or proper names among a few others. Some have since attempted to fortify the rule by clarifying Sharp's earlier remarks and/or expanding upon the exceptions to the rule. However, these combined efforts have done little to demonstrate that rule's conclusion is not circular and have done nothing to demonstrate that it is a legitimate grammatical rule on its own. I feel that the problem with Sharp's rule rests on the fact that he relates the TSKS construction exclusively to "the same person that is expressed or described by the first noun or participle: i.e. it denotes a farther description of the first-named person." To put it in the simplest terms I can, I think his conclusion is too narrow.

Consider a few passages with me:
Mk. 5:37 "καὶ οὐκ ἀφῆκεν οὐδένα μετ’ αὐτοῦ συνακολουθῆσαι εἰ μὴ τὸν Πέτρον καὶ Ἰάκωβον καὶ Ἰωάννην τὸν ἀδελφὸν Ἰακώβου."
Mt. 16:1 "Καὶ προσελθόντες οἱ Φαρισαῖοι καὶ Σαδδουκαῖοι πειράζοντες ἐπηρώτησαν αὐτὸν σημεῖον ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ ἐπιδεῖξαι αὐτοῖς."
If the grammatical structure were all that mattered, these passages should fit Sharp's rule since they are TSKS constructions. Sharp's rule fails to account for them not because they use names and plurals but because they cannot refer back to the "person that is expressed or described by the first noun or participle," and the use of the article isn't necessary to identify the people involved. In the first example, we can understand that the three men listed in the TSKS construction comprise a single group who Jesus allowed to accompany him. In the second example, the Pharisees and Sadducees already refer to distinct groups. There is no risk of confusion with the presence or the absence of the article. Here, as in the last example, they can be considered as forming a single group, though we have no conception of whether that is because they are traveling together in an actual group or whether they are acting with a common purpose in tempting him or asking questions, etc.
Jn. 11:19 πολλοὶ δὲ ἐκ τῶν Ἰουδαίων ἐληλύθεισαν πρὸς τὴν Μάρθαν καὶ Μαριὰμ ἵνα παραμυθήσωνται αὐτὰς περὶ τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ.
In this example, the use of the TSKS construction could refer to the sister's shared grief or location.

Perhaps this will help clarify what I am meaning about Tit. 2:13 "προσδεχόμενοι τὴν μακαρίαν ἐλπίδα καὶ ἐπιφάνειαν τῆς δόξης τοῦ μεγάλου θεοῦ καὶ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ," where it is possible that Jesus and God are jointly in view in the glory/appearance (however you take it) spoken of. If the TSKS construction doesn't relate to people as Sharp articulated, there are other explanations for it.

As for the side conversation that Sharp's first rule has no exceptions in the New Testament, I doubt that many people follow the rule consistently. (But I'm truly not suggesting that you are among that number). I just doubt there are many Sharp's devotees who have taken the time to develop their own guidelines for distinguishing between quasi-proper names for instance. For my part I've always found it strange that there is so much discussion about II Pet. 1:1 and so little discussion of II Pet. 1:2.
Συμεὼν Πέτρος δοῦλος καὶ ἀπόστολος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ τοῖς ἰσότιμον ἡμῖν λαχοῦσιν πίστιν ἐν δικαιοσύνῃ τοῦ θεοῦ ἡμῶν καὶ σωτῆρος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, χάρις ὑμῖν καὶ εἰρήνη πληθυνθείη ἐν ἐπιγνώσει τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ Ἰησοῦ τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν."

Did any of this clarify my meaning? I've enjoyed the discussion, even though preparing this has taken up far too much of my time.

I'm glad you took the time to write this before I responded to the earlier part, because I fear we've been talking past each other. I've given the first rule below (with transliteration for the Greek) and some remarks about it. That's the part I was intending to discuss, though the diversion may well have been my own fault.

1) When the copulative kai connects two nouns of the same case, [viz. nouns (either substantive or adjective, or participles) of personal description respecting office, dignity, affinity, or connection, and attributes, properties, or qualities, good or ill,] if the article, or any of its cases, precedes the first of the said nouns or participles and is not repeated before the second noun or participle, the latter always relates to the same person that is expressed or described by the first noun or participle: i.e. it denotes a farther description of the first-named person.

Sharp seemed to be aware of his rule's inability to account for certain passages and gave several exceptions to it throughout his work. For instance, he said that his rule did not apply to plurals or proper names among a few others. Some have since attempted to fortify the rule by clarifying Sharp's earlier remarks and/or expanding upon the exceptions to the rule. However, these combined efforts have done little to demonstrate that rule's conclusion is not circular and have done nothing to demonstrate that it is a legitimate grammatical rule on its own. I feel that the problem with Sharp's rule rests on the fact that he relates the TSKS construction exclusively to "the same person that is expressed or described by the first noun or participle: i.e. it denotes a farther description of the first-named person." To put it in the simplest terms I can, I think his conclusion is too narrow.

Mk. 5:37 "καὶ οὐκ ἀφῆκεν οὐδένα μετ’ αὐτοῦ συνακολουθῆσαι εἰ μὴ τὸν Πέτρον καὶ Ἰάκωβον καὶ Ἰωάννην τὸν ἀδελφὸν Ἰακώβου."
Mt. 16:1 "Καὶ προσελθόντες οἱ Φαρισαῖοι καὶ Σαδδουκαῖοι πειράζοντες ἐπηρώτησαν αὐτὸν σημεῖον ἐκ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ ἐπιδεῖξαι αὐτοῖς."
If the grammatical structure were all that mattered, these passages should fit Sharp's rule since they are TSKS constructions. Sharp's rule fails to account for them not because they use names and plurals but because they cannot refer back to the "person that is expressed or described by the first noun or participle," and the use of the article isn't necessary to identify the people involved. In the first example, we can understand that the three men listed in the TSKS construction comprise a single group who Jesus allowed to accompany him. In the second example, the Pharisees and Sadducees already refer to distinct groups. There is no risk of confusion with the presence or the absence of the article. Here, as in the last example, they can be considered as forming a single group, though we have no conception of whether that is because they are traveling together in an actual group or whether they are acting with a common purpose in tempting him or asking questions, etc.
Jn. 11:19 πολλοὶ δὲ ἐκ τῶν Ἰουδαίων ἐληλύθεισαν πρὸς τὴν Μάρθαν καὶ Μαριὰμ ἵνα παραμυθήσωνται αὐτὰς περὶ τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ.
In this example, the use of the TSKS construction could refer to the sister's shared grief or location.

Perhaps this will help clarify what I am meaning about Tit. 2:13 "προσδεχόμενοι τὴν μακαρίαν ἐλπίδα καὶ ἐπιφάνειαν τῆς δόξης τοῦ μεγάλου θεοῦ καὶ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ," where it is possible that Jesus and God are jointly in view in the glory/appearance (however you take it) spoken of. If the TSKS construction doesn't relate to people as Sharp articulated, there are other explanations for it.

As for the side conversation that Sharp's first rule has no exceptions in the New Testament, I doubt that many people follow the rule consistently. (But I'm truly not suggesting that you are among that number). I just doubt there are many Sharp's devotees who have taken the time to develop their own guidelines for distinguishing between quasi-proper names for instance. For my part I've always found it strange that there is so much discussion about II Pet. 1:1 and so little discussion of II Pet. 1:2.
Συμεὼν Πέτρος δοῦλος καὶ ἀπόστολος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ τοῖς ἰσότιμον ἡμῖν λαχοῦσιν πίστιν ἐν δικαιοσύνῃ τοῦ θεοῦ ἡμῶν καὶ σωτῆρος Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, χάρις ὑμῖν καὶ εἰρήνη πληθυνθείη ἐν ἐπιγνώσει τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ Ἰησοῦ τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν."

Did any of this clarify my meaning? I've enjoyed the discussion, even though preparing this has taken up far too much of my time.
You're right, there is no such thing as "the Sharps rule" of Greek grammar. The only rule that exists in the bible on this score is the TSKTS rule whereby when you have two substantives, where at least one is the functional equivalent of a proper name and both are singular, then two individuals are in view. No exceptions.

for, the context clearly expresses to whom the words were addressed by Thomas... (Remarks..., pp. 15, 16)

Don't see how that has anything to do with whether one or two individuals are in view with the construction. This is a red herring distraction on the Trinitarians' part; either that or you folks genuinely continue to have conceptional difficulties regarding this issue. I'll give you a simple English example to demonstrate the point since the Greek examples from the bible I gave earlier went over your head:

Jack exclaimed to/towards John, "My friend & my dog!"

Are you going to argue that one person is in view with bold above because the words are directed by Jack to one person, namely to John ?

If the grammatical structure were all that mattered, these passages should fit Sharp's rule since they are TSKS constructions. Sharp's rule fails to account for them not because they use names and plurals but because they cannot refer back to the "person that is expressed or described by the first noun or participle," and the use of the article isn't necessary to identify the people involved.
Most manuscripts in Mark 5:37 read εἰ μὴ Πέτρον... but both examples fall under the umbrella of a different rule. In this case, they are all common in that they were singled out by Jesus. In the second, the Pharisees and Sadducees (rivals, no less) came together for the purpose of tempting Jesus. But I think we are both more or less agreed on how to interpret these examples. They just don't fall under the "Sharp Rule 1."

Agreed. This would usually be noted by grammarians as well.

Grammar itself is by design, and a lot of deliberate thought goes into it. Exceptions are quite normal. What an "exception" usually means is that the construction fails to fall under the umbrella of the rule, chiefly because it falls under the umbrella of another. How a grammarian chooses to express these may be more or less complicated. Stating exceptions more or less prevents others from forming a caricature of the rule where misunderstanding may be present.

I believe the rules could be more simply classed (where καὶ is involved) and generally stated as follows:
  1. With personal titles, descriptions and epithets of the same case (singular)
    • Article before the first and not second = 1 subject.
    • Article before both = 2 subjects.
    • Article absent before both = 2 subjects
  2. With plurals, things (impersonal), and proper names
    • Article before first item in a list and not before the next = both are on parity w/ a particular unifying aspect.
    • Article absent = normal list
  3. With a direct address
    • The article may be placed emphatically before each title of address.
Of course, I didn't have a lawyer present when writing these ?. So really in these cases, the article serves to remove--not create--ambiguity. We could say #2 is an exception to #1, or that #3 is an exception to #2. But really what we have is three separate rules.

Of course, someone somewhere will always break a rule--whether or deliberately or accidentally. John, for example, is a prime example of an author who deliberately breaks the rules. So in that situation, we have to ask "why."

However, these combined efforts have done little to demonstrate that rule's conclusion is not circular and have done nothing to demonstrate that it is a legitimate grammatical rule on its own.
Multiple individuals have been through the GNT trying to find exceptions, and even Winstanley--regarded as Sharp's greatest "adversary"--was forced to admit that, outside the Christologically significant passages, there were no exceptions in the GNT. I don't see how this would be circular.

I feel that the problem with Sharp's rule rests on the fact that he relates the TSKS construction exclusively to "the same person that is expressed or described by the first noun or participle: i.e. it denotes a farther description of the first-named person." To put it in the simplest terms I can, I think his conclusion is too narrow.
He actually doesn't do this, but it's almost as though he had a lawyer help him write his remarks so if you don't read them carefully or thoroughly, you'll miss some important details. There are actually a number of competent individuals--whether detractors or supporters--who misapplied the rules through misunderstanding.

For my part I've always found it strange that there is so much discussion about II Pet. 1:1 and so little discussion of II Pet. 1:2.
Contextually, yes, you might make that point but then at 1:3 we're back to one subject. Also at Titus 2:14, we have one subject. I don't find these types of statements regarding the Godhead uncommon in the Old Testament or in the New, and I do feel that can complicate the matter. Consider passages like Isaiah 48:12-16, Jeremiah 50:40, Hosea 1:7, Zechariah 2:8 and 12:10.

You're right, there is no such thing as "the Sharps rule" of Greek grammar.
I'm not sure why this rule gets pinned on Sharp, as though it wasn't known before. For example, the German theologians Salamo Glassus notes it in his Sacred Philology, written somewhere around the 1640s and he cautions that it does not apply to plurals. Beza in the late 1500s also remarks on it. As I said before, Erasmus, al. subverted the rule in the formative years of the revival of Greek study in Europe and he was sharply criticized for it.

The only rule that exists in the bible on this score is the TSKTS rule whereby when you have two substantives, where at least one is the functional equivalent of a proper name and both are singular, then two individuals are in view. No exceptions.
Outside the Christologically significant passages there are no exceptions to Rule 1 when the rule is properly followed. There are at least eighty or so examples, and I provided a significant number of them in examples earlier in the thread.

Jack exclaimed to/towards John, "My friend & my dog!"
Is your dog present in the context? Because otherwise Jack just called his friend a dog...

Last edited:
Is there a dog present in the context? Because otherwise Jack just called his friend a dog...
Yes obviously. Just as God is “present” “in the context “ of John 20:28. Also, even without “context” I doubt any sane person would call his friend a literal dog. So even had there been no context it would be a good assumption that a true and good person would not call his friend a literal dog.

I’m glad though that you finally get the point about εἶπεν αὐτῷ.

Yes obviously. Just as God is “present” “in the context “ of John 20:28. Also, even without “context” I doubt any sane person would call his friend a literal dog. So even had there been no context it would be a good assumption that a true and good person would not call his friend a literal dog.

I’m glad though that you finally get the point about εἶπεν αὐτῷ.
I understood your point, I just don't agree with it. It would be an awkward English construction, "and he saw his dog and his friend John, and said to him (John), 'My friend and my dog." Sane or not sane has nothing to do with it, since TRJM wrote poorly. You gave an extremely poor example, and you missed my point completely.

I'm also getting tired of you saying the Greek can only mean this or that, without exception, when clearly the vast majority of Greeks themselves disagree, and you are going against the broad consensus of grammarians and commentators of the passage as well.

I understood your point, I just don't agree with it. It would be an awkward English construction, "and he saw his dog and his friend John, and said to him (John), 'My friend and my dog." Sane or not sane has nothing to do with it, since TRJM wrote poorly. You gave an extremely poor example, and you missed my point completely.

I'm also getting tired of you saying the Greek can only mean this or that, without exception, when clearly the vast majority of Greeks themselves disagree, and you are going against the broad consensus of grammarians and commentators of the passage as well.

We’re dealing with Koine Greek here: it is called a nominative of exclamation. Nothing “awkward” about it. You seem to be in denial at this point, I fear.

We’re dealing with Koine Greek here: it is called a nominative of exclamation.
I'm aware of that function. I just find it to be an implausible solution because nothing contextually or grammatically supports it. The address is specifically to Jesus, with no one else as your English example required. It involves a supposition that Thomas has reduced a recital of the Lord's name to an exclamatory remark--something that is generally regarded to be contrary to the commandments--and that Christ would actually commend him for it.

What are you going to do with such places as ἄξιος εἶ ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν, as we find in most manuscripts of Revelation 4:11? Because it's also an address, the article can be added before both nouns. That this was understood can be observed in the normalized form of address, Ἄξιος εἶ Κύριε ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν present here in other manuscripts.

Or when Christ addresses the Father on the cross, he says, Ὁ θεός μου ὁ θεός μου (Mark 15:34). Is that two separate Gods? Certainly not, since the nominative stands for a vocative and that is abundantly clear from Θεέ μου θεέ μου as it is translated in Matthew 27:46. These are agnate constructions.

Nothing “awkward” about it. You seem to be in denial at this point, I fear.
I'm not a Unitarian who has to deny and obscure the meaning of the passage at all costs. I didn't say the Greek of John 20:28 was awkward. I said your dog and friend example "would be an awkward English construction."

Last edited:
I'm aware of that function. I just find it to be an implausible solution because nothing contextually or grammatically supports it. The address is specifically to Jesus, with no one else as your English example required. It involves a supposition that Thomas has reduced a recital of the Lord's name to an exclamatory remark--something that is generally regarded to be contrary to the commandments--and that Christ would actually commend him for it.

What are you going to do with such places as ἄξιος εἶ ὁ κύριος καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν, as we find in most manuscripts of Revelation 4:11? Because it's also an address, the article can be added before both nouns. That this was understood can be observed in the normalized form of address, Ἄξιος εἶ Κύριε ὁ θεὸς ἡμῶν present here in other manuscripts.

Or when Christ addresses the Father on the cross, he says, Ὁ θεός μου ὁ θεός μου (Mark 15:34). Is that two separate Gods? Certainly not, since the nominative stands for a vocative and that is abundantly clear from Θεέ μου θεέ μου as it is translated in Matthew 27:46. These are agnate constructions.

I'm not a Unitarian who has to deny and obscure the meaning of the passage at all costs. I didn't say the Greek of John 20:28 was awkward. I said your dog and friend example "would be an awkward English construction."
Everything contextually and grammatically supports it. Read this thread for the details.

Everything contextually and grammatically supports it. Read this thread for the details.
Not everyone learns Greek on the fly from blogs, websites and forums. Some of us actually take the time to learn the grammar itself before commenting on it. All I see is another long thread where Sharp's rule 6 is applied to constructions it's not supposed to be applied to (as Sharp himself observed).

Not everyone learns Greek on the fly from blogs, websites and forums. Some of us actually take the time to learn the grammar itself before commenting on it. All I see is another long thread where Sharp's rule 6 is applied to constructions it's not supposed to be applied to (as Sharp himself observed).
You don’t seem to have read the whole thread.

Anyhow, instead of saying “nothing” supports the reading, tell us something specific which apparently does not “support” it ?

Most manuscripts in Mark 5:37 read εἰ μὴ Πέτρον... but both examples fall under the umbrella of a different rule. In this case, they are all common in that they were singled out by Jesus. In the second, the Pharisees and Sadducees (rivals, no less) came together for the purpose of tempting Jesus. But I think we are both more or less agreed on how to interpret these examples.
The only question I have is whether you are suggesting that the text I quoted for Mark 5:37 is ungrammatical.
They just don't fall under the "Sharp Rule 1."
Of course, the examples I gave don't fall under "Sharp Rule 1" because Sharp defined the rule and wrote it to exclude what didn't fit. I hope to make clear why the examples I gave are relevant somewhere below.
Grammar itself is by design, and a lot of deliberate thought goes into it. Exceptions are quite normal. What an "exception" usually means is that the construction fails to fall under the umbrella of the rule, chiefly because it falls under the umbrella of another. How a grammarian chooses to express these may be more or less complicated. Stating exceptions more or less prevents others from forming a caricature of the rule where misunderstanding may be present.

I believe the rules could be more simply classed (where καὶ is involved) and generally stated as follows:
  1. With personal titles, descriptions and epithets of the same case (singular)
    • Article before the first and not second = 1 subject.
    • Article before both = 2 subjects.
    • Article absent before both = 2 subjects
  2. With plurals, things (impersonal), and proper names
    • Article before first item in a list and not before the next = both are on parity w/ a particular unifying aspect.
    • Article absent = normal list
  3. With a direct address
    • The article may be placed emphatically before each title of address.
Of course, I didn't have a lawyer present when writing these ?. So really in these cases, the article serves to remove--not create--ambiguity. We could say #2 is an exception to #1, or that #3 is an exception to #2. But really what we have is three separate rules.

Of course, someone somewhere will always break a rule--whether or deliberately or accidentally. John, for example, is a prime example of an author who deliberately breaks the rules. So in that situation, we have to ask "why."
I'm going to jump around relative to the remarks I quoted above, so please bear with me. I don't know what all you mean when you refer to "John" as an author who "deliberately breaks the rules," but there are two immediate concerns. The first is that I don't know what works you attribute to "John." I don't think the author of Revelation and the author of the Gospel of John are the same person. I don't find the grammar in the Gospel of John to be rule breaking. The situation is quite different if Revelation. The second problem, conveniently enough, is the question of "rule breaking" itself. Fluent speakers of a language don't often think about what is grammatically correct. We know what words we can use to express ourselves, and we are content with some level of ambiguity. Context will usually make our intended meaning clear, but when the sentence is unclear it is still grammatically correct more often than not.

Now, back to our discussion of Sharp's Rules (I'll use what you have stated with the understanding that you might've added/omitted something accidentally with no malicious intent).

You are right to assert that grammar rules are not immutable and will be broken for various reasons. An exception here or there is to be expected. The examples I gave demonstrated that the article is used for other purposes than identification. If Jesus had taken Matthew and Simon on this occasion, do you think it would've been ungrammatical for Mark to write "καὶ οὐκ ἀφῆκεν οὐδένα μετ’ αὐτοῦ συνακολουθῆσαι εἰ μὴ τὸν τελώνην καὶ Καναναῖον"? In other words, do you think there is something about the use of names/titles themselves that make them unsuitable for Sharp's rule? The answer is important because we have other grammatical guidelines in addition to Sharp's rules. Here are some similar remarks from Smyth.
Smyth said:
1143. A single article, used with the first of two or more nouns connected by and, produces the effect of a single notion: οἱ στρατηγοὶ καὶ λοχα_γοί the generals and captains (the commanding officers) X. A. 2.2.8, τὰ_ς μεγίστα_ς καὶ ἐλαχίστα_ς ναῦς the largest and the smallest ships (the whole fleet) T. 1.10, ““ἡ τῶν πολλῶν διαβολή τε καὶ φθόνος” the calumniation and envy of the multitude” P. A. 28a. Rarely when the substantives are of different genders: ““περὶ τὰ_ς ἑαυτ ῶν ψυ_χὰ_ς καὶ σώματα” concerning their own lives and persons” X. A. 3.2.20.
[*] 1144. A repeated article lays stress on each word: ““ὁ Θρᾷξ καὶ ὁ βάρβαρος” the Thracian and the barbarian” D. 23.132 (here the subject remains the same), ““οἱ στρατηγοὶ καὶ οἱ λοχα_γοί” the generals and the captains” X. A. 7.1.13.
It appears that Sharp's rules fall under the scope of these general remarks. He seems to be narrowing the application of these principles, so can it rightly be said that the cases that don't fit Sharp's canon are breaking his rule. It seems more accurate to say that there are instances where it is unclear what the function of the article is.

I've already stated that direct address does not have any effect on the grammar contrary to what is stated in Sharp's rule 3 (as you've listed it above). That's why John 20:28 can have a TSKTS construction of direct address with a single referent, and Against Aristocrates (Demosthenes Speech 23.132) can have a TSKTS construction that does the same thing without the direct address. "ἡγούμενον ὡς μὲν ὑμᾶς οὐχὶ καλῶς ἔχειν ἐλθεῖν, οὓς ὑστέρους ἐπεποίητο τοῦ Θρᾳκὸς καὶ τοῦ βαρβάρου," The meaning in these instances is determined by pragmatic features rather than by grammar. If you have instances where there is ambiguity as to whether or not something is a name/quasi-proper name/title/etc., then you might find the solution to the problem outside of Sharp's rules as I have proposed.

Multiple individuals have been through the GNT trying to find exceptions, and even Winstanley--regarded as Sharp's greatest "adversary"--was forced to admit that, outside the Christologically significant passages, there were no exceptions in the GNT. I don't see how this would be circular.
It is circular to claim that the Christologically significant passages must adhere to Sharp's rule, because the other passages in the New Testament do. The debated passages do not share the same pragmatic features. When you look at the full range of TSKS and TSKTS constructions in the New Testament without the blinders of Sharp's exceptions, it is beyond doubt that the article serves a greater purpose than simply denoting the number of individuals. Sharp failed to demonstrate that the explanations that already exist for passages with names, plurals, etc. don't also hold true in the narrow instances where his rule applies. There are other grammatical explanations that can account for what we see in the text.
He actually doesn't do this, but it's almost as though he had a lawyer help him write his remarks so if you don't read them carefully or thoroughly, you'll miss some important details. There are actually a number of competent individuals--whether detractors or supporters--who misapplied the rules through misunderstanding.
I was quoting his remarks, so I've at least got that much right. My point was that his explanations seem to relate everything to number of people. Do you know of an exception?
Contextually, yes, you might make that point but then at 1:3 we're back to one subject. Also at Titus 2:14, we have one subject. I don't find these types of statements regarding the Godhead uncommon in the Old Testament or in the New, and I do feel that can complicate the matter. Consider passages like Isaiah 48:12-16, Jeremiah 50:40, Hosea 1:7, Zechariah 2:8 and 12:10.
I was only trying to demonstrate how inconsistent many are in their application of the rules. (And how strained some of the justifications can be, e.g. ὁ θεὸς καὶ σωτήρ is only ever used for one person in the literature.)

Back