Have you heard of the Burning of the Bosom?

radvermin

I recently talked with some LDS Missionaries. Smart kids. I asked about a proof for the Book of Mormon being scripture being the burning of the bosom, as I had previously heard this from other missionaries.
They said that they had never heard of this.

So 2 questions.
1. Have you heard of the Burning of the Bosom?
and
2. Is that a core part of knowing that the book of Mormon is Scripture?

Thanks a bundle.

So 2 questions.
Yes. We've heard of it and so have those missionaries. It's not heartburn.
The "more sure word of prophecy" is a core part of knowing the Book of Mormon is true.

I've seen Christian revivals where they invite people to come down to confess Christ and be saved. This usually comes after the pastor has whipped the crowd into an emotional frenzy and then starts up the choir with beautiful renditions of heavenly praise... all part of a religious MK Ultra experience.

The fact is no one has any proof that the promises the gospel offers are true. The only convincing evidence is a witness by the Holy Spirit and that is what the burning of the bosom represents. Emotions, while they are moving, seldom result in lasting change. We witness miracles all the time, acts of great courage and tragedies that people overcome through some higher power and yet, tomorrow, we mostly walk through our lives as we have always walked, thankful, probably, but unaffected all the same. The difference between the emotional drama played out in revivals and good movies or even some real-life events and the burning of the bosom we talk about is that a different person walks away from the burning in the bosom. The latter is the power that gives birth to a newness of life, not just as a witness to the beauty of it but as a participant in it.

I was told about it AFTER I became a member. I didn't have time to read the Book of Mormon before they baptized me because I was in high school and had a lot of homework during the 2 weeks between meeting the missionaries and my baptism. The verse is in the D&C which I didn't know existed and wasn't given a copy of. In all my years in the Mormon church I never had a "Burning of the Bosom."

Shame on the Mormon church for not teaching the Doctrine and Covenants to those they send out as missionaries.

The "more sure word of prophecy" is a core part of knowing the Book of Mormon is true.

I've seen Christian revivals where they invite people to come down to confess Christ and be saved. This usually comes after the pastor has whipped the crowd into an emotional frenzy and then starts up the choir with beautiful renditions of heavenly praise... all part of a religious MK Ultra experience.

The fact is no one has any proof that the promises the gospel offers are true. The only convincing evidence is a witness by the Holy Spirit and that is what the burning of the bosom represents. Emotions, while they are moving, seldom result in lasting change. We witness miracles all the time, acts of great courage and tragedies that people overcome through some higher power and yet, tomorrow, we mostly walk through our lives as we have always walked, thankful, probably, but unaffected all the same. The difference between the emotional drama played out in revivals and good movies or even some real-life events and the burning of the bosom we talk about is that a different person walks away from the burning in the bosom. The latter is the power that gives birth to a newness of life, not just as a witness to the beauty of it but as a participant in it.
What's the "more sure word of prophecy"?
Again, I'm looking at whether the Burning of the Bosom is evidence the Book of Mormon is Scripture.

I was told about it AFTER I became a member. I didn't have time to read the Book of Mormon before they baptized me because I was in high school and had a lot of homework during the 2 weeks between meeting the missionaries and my baptism. The verse is in the D&C which I didn't know existed and wasn't given a copy of. In all my years in the Mormon church I never had a "Burning of the Bosom."

Shame on the Mormon church for not teaching the Doctrine and Covenants to those they send out as missionaries.
So would you say that the burning of the bosom is evidence the Book of Mormon is Scripture?

In mormonism, the “more sure word of prophecy” refers to the second anointing, or second endowment, or having your calling and election made sure.

Its not about a burning feeling for the Book of Mormon.

For those who missed my answer.
Okay, thank you for your answer.
I was confused by the way you worded your answer, and I've dealt with a lot of different cultures, so I tend to be very exact and double check that I'm not misunderstanding someone. So, no hard feelings.

I recently talked with some LDS Missionaries. Smart kids. I asked about a proof for the Book of Mormon being scripture being the burning of the bosom, as I had previously heard this from other missionaries.
They said that they had never heard of this.

So 2 questions.
and

Thanks a bundle.

As an example let's look at what Cheesman has to say:

The Book of Mormon was not written with the intention of providing a full historical account of the people involved. Rather, Mormon, Moroni, and Nephi, the three principal authors, have written an abridged spiritual record that contains only enough historical data to add continuity to a record that involves a very lengthy time span. Any external evidence would primarily, therefore, be important for the book’s historicity, not its spiritual message. Since the record contains spiritual lessons, the reader would need to have a spiritual experience in order to secure the verification of its validity. The formula for gaining that testimony is found in Moroni 10:4–5 [Moro. 10:4–5] from the record itself. Proof of the Book of Mormon thus remains within the spiritual realm and not from studying archaeology.

Answer/Brother Paul R. Cheesman

Moroni 10:4–5
Book of Mormon

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

This is the described "burning of the bosom" LDS speak of. It is not Scriptural, nor grounded in Christianity but in their belief in the cult of Mormonism.

It is scriptural if you accept our scriptures and again, what is the "more sure word of prophesy" if it is not spiritual?

It's not. We Christians are not saved by a feeling. We are saved by God's Grace, through faith and not of ourselves. What is faith?

Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see."

Scripture isn't telling us to ignore archaeological evidence for all that is written in the Bible but even your leaders are telling you to ignore the lack thereof for the BoM. How does that not give you pause...

As an example let's look at what Cheesman has to say:

The Book of Mormon was not written with the intention of providing a full historical account of the people involved. Rather, Mormon, Moroni, and Nephi, the three principal authors, have written an abridged spiritual record that contains only enough historical data to add continuity to a record that involves a very lengthy time span. Any external evidence would primarily, therefore, be important for the book’s historicity, not its spiritual message. Since the record contains spiritual lessons, the reader would need to have a spiritual experience in order to secure the verification of its validity. The formula for gaining that testimony is found in Moroni 10:4–5 [Moro. 10:4–5] from the record itself. Proof of the Book of Mormon thus remains within the spiritual realm and not from studying archaeology.

Answer/Brother Paul R. Cheesman

Moroni 10:4–5
Book of Mormon

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

This is the described "burning of the bosom" LDS speak of. It is not Scriptural, nor grounded in Christianity but in their belief in the cult of Mormonism.
No! The Book of Mormon doesn't mention "burning of the bosom."

Doctrine and Covenants 9:8 says:
“But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right."

This is part of their propaganda:
The words “you shall feel that it is right” refer to a feeling of peace and warmth, a feeling that touches the soul. For an investigator of the truth, this feeling begins to come when the missionaries come and leave their message. They can feel it in the home after the missionaries leave. They can feel it in the congregations of the Saints; and they can feel it as they read and study and pray about the message. It is a feeling that is unique in its peace and joy because it emanates from Jesus Christ. It is that feeling which brings a greater knowledge and a more sure witness than even flesh and bones.

Joseph Smith undoubtedly borrowed D&C 9:8 from his reading of Luke 24:32
“And they said one to another, did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?”

THE DEVIL CAN CITE SCRIPTURE TO HIS OWN ADVANTAGE!

When I finally prayed about Mormonism (I had been a member for years), I told God that I didn't know Who He was and said, "Will You, the REAL GOD, please show me and teach me WHO YOU ARE and whether or not Mormonism is true?"

Then I started reading my Bible.

Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

God would direct my paths! Why would I need a Mormon prophet?

Psalm 51:10
Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

So would you say that the burning of the bosom is evidence the Book of Mormon is Scripture?
NO! The Bible doesn't tell us that a warm feeling or burning is how to determine truth.

2 Timothy 3
13But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. 14But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Last edited:
Again, I'm looking at whether the Burning of the Bosom is evidence the Book of Mormon is Scripture.
Mormons teach that it is. But nowhere in the Bible are we told that a subjective feeling is proof that a doctrine is true. Mormons like to use what happened on the way to Emmaus in Luke, as a proof text, but it won't hold water. Matt Slick does a jim-dandy job of destroying that idea:

Mormons teach that it is. But nowhere in the Bible are we told that a subjective feeling is proof that a doctrine is true. Mormons like to use what happened on the way to Emmaus in Luke, as a proof text, but it won't hold water. Matt Slick does a jim-dandy job of destroying that idea:

Yeah, and I actually think it ironic that the argument is that the burning of the bosom is evidence that the BoM is Scripture and then points to Luke to something that Jesus said which isn't in Scripture.

In mormonism, the “more sure word of prophecy” refers to an ordinance they perform that is also known as the “second anointing,” “second endowment“ or “having your calling and election made sure.” That’s when someone ordains you to go to the highest level of the celestial kingdom, making exaltation and godhood a sure thing for you.

But not everyone gets to have that ordination, just a few select Mormons.

It has nothing to do with a burning feeling about the Book of Mormon, or anything else.

It's not.
That's not an answer.
We Christians are not saved by a feeling. We are saved by God's Grace, through faith and not of ourselves. What is faith?
Who said that the burning bosom saved anyone? Do u understand the argument? It isn't about being saved.
Scripture isn't telling us to ignore archaeological evidence for all that is written in the Bible but even your leaders are telling you to ignore the lack thereof for the BoM. How does that not give you pause...
I have the more sure word of prophesy. Full speed ahead. My course is sure.

If the truths of the Bible depended on archeology, then for sure there is no such thing as a resurrection or life after death.

So, back to my question, what is the more sure word of prophesy? You've already stated it's not spiritual. Now what is it?

Yeah, and I actually think it ironic that the argument is that the burning of the bosom is evidence that the BoM is Scripture and then points to Luke to something that Jesus said which isn't in Scripture.
I didn't make a reference to Like, but I am curious why Luke isn't part of scripture?

This is an example of the "more sure word of prophesy", "For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven."

If you can explain that, then you will know how we know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God.

Back