❓Deuteronomy 6:4

Because it has made no grammatical sense to do as you suggest since the Greeks, who translated [elohim with a singular verb] as singular theos.

Theos is closely aligned with the English word god / God (depending on context).

Even if the singular verb is implied (in the Hebrew) in Deut 6:4, it is singular by analogy with other usages of Elohim.

Last edited:
Because it has made no grammatical sense to do as you suggest since the Greeks, who translated [elohim with a singular verb] as singular theos.

Theos is closely aligned with the English word god / God (depending on context).

Even if the singular verb is implied (in the Hebrew) in Deut 6:4, it is singular by analogy with other usages of Elohim.
Someone told me the use of the words Yahweh and Elohim are a Hebrew Parallelism, they are meant to pronounce we are to Worship God Alone; and they said the Verse is not meant to be an Ontological Statement. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Someone told me the use of the words Yahweh and Elohim are a Hebrew Parallelism, they are meant to pronounce we are to Worship God Alone; and they said the Verse is not meant to be an Ontological Statement. Is this correct?
Of equal significance to Deut 6:4 are the numerous verses stating simply "I [singular] am God [Elohim - Plural]" Ps 46:10.

There can be no doubt that these all teach that God is to be treated as one, and not more than one.

But one person? No: rather "one God." This is a major problem in Trinitarianism: God is "God," and not "a person." If God is "God," how can God be anything other than "God?"

Of equal significance to Deut 6:4 are the numerous verses stating simply "I [singular] am God [Elohim - Plural]" Ps 46:10.

There can be no doubt that these all teach that God is to be treated as one, and not more than one.

But one person? No: rather "one God." This is a major problem in Trinitarianism: God is "God," and not "a person." If God is "God," how can God be anything other than "God?"
I am currently in the position of acknowledging the Verse is first not meant to be an Ontological statement, but its Plural God meaning is not ruled out as having some significance. Moses didn't have to use the word Elohim; he could have left it out. The person who told me the Verse is not Ontological, also told me that the Plural God meaning is not dismissed from significance...

Last edited:
I am currently in the position of acknowledging the Verse is first not meant to be an Ontological statement, but its Plural God meaning is not ruled out as having some significance. Moses didn't have to use the word Elohim; he could have left it out. The person who told me the Verse is not Ontological, also told me that the Plural God meaning is not dismissed from significance...
I would read the significance only as ruling out any other God.

“I” is one “someone,” one “individual,” one “person” ( if you like). So the plural ( more than one) “someones” or plural “individuals” are indeed ruled out. Just as when you say “ I am ReverendRV” you are ruling out that you are more than one person/individual, etc.

Enough of this Trinitarian nonsense, it is simply not biblical.

Judaism 101: The Shema can also be translated as "The L-rd is our G-d, The L-rd alone," meaning that no other is our G-d, and we should not pray to any other. (The Nature of G-d)

Not true, but beyond that your statement does not address my question.

It does address your question.

1. "Only God" is the proper recipient of prayer (1 Kings 8:38-39).
2. The Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of prayer (Acts 1:24-25).
3. Therefore, the Lord Jesus is God.

Thus, the proper recipient of prayer applies to more than the Father.

Only God can receive prayer

Which proves Jesus is God.

Acts 1:24-25
(24) And they prayed and said, “You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men, show which one of these two You have chosen
(25) to occupy this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.”

When the appellation "Lord" appears without reading "Lord Jesus" in Acts 1:24 it is important to keep in mind that whenever the following key words from this prayer are found elsewhere in Scripture in association with the "Lord," the Lord always refers to the Lord Jesus.
The passages in boldface are from the same author (Luke).
1. The "Lord" occurs along with the same Greek word for "show" (anadeiknymi) in Acts 1:24 - in reference to the Lord Jesus (Luke 10:1).
2. The "Lord" occurs along with the same Greek word for "chosen" (eklegomai) in Acts 1:24 - in reference to the Lord Jesus (Acts 1:2; cf. v. 6; Luke 6:13; cf. vv. 5, 46; John 6:70; cf. v. 68 and John 13:18; cf. vv. 13-14).
3. The "Lord" occurs along with the same Greek word for "ministry" (diakonia) in Acts 1:25 - in reference to the Lord Jesus (Acts 1:17; cf. v. 21; 20:24; 1 Corinthians 12:5; Ephesians 4:12; cf. Ephesians 4:5; Colossians 4:17; 1 Timothy 1:12).
4. The "Lord" occurs along the same Greek word for "apostleship" (apostolē) in Acts 1:25 - in reference to the Lord Jesus (Romans 1:5; cf. Romans 1:4; 1 Corinthians 9:2).

Due to the unitary nature of God (Deut 6:4 etc), and the Qere perpetuum which substitutes Adonai (Lord) for YHWH (which is seen many times in the gospels e.g. Matt 2:19 where "Lord" must refer to the Father as Jesus was then a baby) and to verses such as 2 Peter 3:8 which quotes from Ps 90:8, and where "Lord" is ambivalent as between YHWH (Ps 90:13) and El (Ps 90:2), it is perverse to suggest that the Father of Jesus is excluded by the address "Lord". Rather, it is because Jesus is united with his Father that he is able to hear and respond to prayer addressed to God. "Lord" is an appropropriate form of address to God. Jesus did not hear, accept or respond to prayers whilst he was on earth.

it is perverse to suggest that the Father of Jesus is excluded by the address "Lord".

Strawman.

In fact, I previously asserted otherwise.

Rather, it is because Jesus is united with his Father that he is able to hear and respond to prayer addressed to God.

The evidence in Acts 1:24-25 demonstrates the "Lord" to whom they addressed was the Lord Jesus.

Strawman.

In fact, I previously asserted otherwise.

The evidence in Acts 1:24-25 demonstrates the "Lord" to whom they addressed was the Lord Jesus.
Fed up with this sophistry. God is the proper addressee of prayer, in the OT as in the NT, as affirmed by Jesus in many places. Jesus receives prayer because he, the Word of God (Rev 19:13), is re-united with God. End of. Whether God is called "Lord" or "Father" or "God" isn't material, except that the injunction is to use the term "Father" (Lord's prayer).

Fed up with this sophistry.

Which means your position rots.

God is the proper addressee of prayer, in the OT as in the NT

Agree.

And yet you haven't refuted the evidence that I gave in post 15 that the Lord Jesus was being prayed to in Acts 1:24-25. He is the addressee of this prayer.
You haven't refuted it, because you can't refute it.

Thanks

And yet you haven't refuted the evidence that I gave in post 15 that the Lord Jesus was being prayed to in Acts 1:24-25. He is the addressee of this prayer.
You haven't refuted it, because you can't refute it.
I did. I showed you clearly that unqualified "Lord" refers to YHWH, to the God of the Old Testament, many times in the gospels and in other places. Moreover there are approximately 220 verses in the OT connecting YHWH with knowing the heart etc. Unqualified Lord thus has the same connotation as unqualified theos, except that it is more personal.

Qualified Lord in the NT, i.e. "Lord of an individual man / men in general" does however refer to Jesus, because "Christ is the head of man" 1 Cor 11:3. Perhaps in this day and age, "The Lord" (title) would also connote the Lord Jesus. But in the bible, and amongst the Jews, and certainly during Jesus's human life, it is clear that "Lord" was not specific to Jesus.

Also, deference to the "Lord Jesus" must of necessity be in consideration of his being united with God, his Father, in heaven.

Back