💡 The Providence of God...

ReverendRV

My sentiments respecting the providence of God are these: It is present with, and presides over, all things; and all things, according to their essences, quantities, qualities, relations, actions, passions, places, times, stations and habits, are subject to its governance, conservation, and direction. I except neither particular, sublunary, vile, nor contingent things, not even the free wills of men or of angels, either good or evil: And, what is still more, I do not take away from the government of the divine providence even sins themselves, whether we take into our consideration their commencement, their progress, or their termination.

(4.) The destined concession of its concurrence, which, on account of the dependence of a second on the first cause, is a necessary concurrence.

I'm not an Arminian, but I really like his teachings on the Providence of God. God is the Agent of all which comes to pass. This means he Determines all of history, and has Good Meaning in everything...

Last edited:

TibiasDad

My sentiments respecting the providence of God are these: It is present with, and presides over, all things; and all things, according to their essences, quantities, qualities, relations, actions, passions, places, times, stations and habits, are subject to its governance, conservation, and direction. I except neither particular, sublunary, vile, nor contingent things, not even the free wills of men or of angels, either good or evil: And, what is still more, I do not take away from the government of the divine providence even sins themselves, whether we take into our consideration their commencement, their progress, or their termination.

(4.) The destined concession of its concurrence, which, on account of the dependence of a second on the first cause, is a necessary concurrence.

I'm not an Arminian, but I really like his teachings on the Providence of God. God is the Agent of all which comes to pass. This means he Determines all of history, and has Good Meaning in everything...

"The Fourth act is the defining of its magnitude, by which limits are placed on sin, that it may not increase and assume greater strength."

This is the effect of prevenient grace; the mitigation of sin's ability to overtake us!

Doug

ReverendRV

I have a hard time with all the "fluff" and "flowery speech" found in such statements. You can sum up his statement with.

"God's Providence means that there is nothing that has, does or will exist apart from God's governing."
Yeah, he went out of his way to include everything God is in charge of Commencing, leaving no exceptions...

Last edited:

ReverendRV

That is where we disagree. The Governance of God's creation is solely in God's hands. There is no problem with believing that God has allowed man to determine "his" own outcome "within" His Governing limits.

The Doctrine of "Providence" does not require a "Hard Determinism" view.
I just made the statement to provoke conversation. TomL and Doug say a little Determinism needs to be rounded up to Hard Determinism. That's their belief, conveyed in my words. You know how I simplify things; the way you did in the third Post. As a Compatibalist, I believe in Hard and Soft Determinism...