1 Cor 2 the disciples were carnal

Christian

The 12 elect,chosen sheep were carnal, not spiritual.

1 Corinthians 2

The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

John 16:17-18
At this, some of his disciples said to one another, “What does he mean by saying, ‘In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me,’ and ‘Because I am going to the Father’?” 18 They kept asking, “What does he mean by ‘a little while’? We don’t understand what he is saying.”

Jesus had told them NUMEROUS times about His passion yet they did not understand this until the Spirit was in them. Once again proving 1 Corinthians 2 the natural man cannot understand the things of the Spirit.

Matthew 16:8-11

Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked, “You of little faith, why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread? 9 Do you still not understand? Don’t you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 10 Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 11 How is it you don’t understand that I was not talking to you about bread?

Mark 7:18
And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;

I can provide NUMEROUS other scriptures showing the disciples did not understand Jesus teachings until after Pentecost.

hope this helps!!!

Last edited:

1 Corinthians 2

The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

At this, some of his disciples said to one another, “What does he mean by saying, ‘In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me,’ and ‘Because I am going to the Father’?” 18 They kept asking, “What does he mean by ‘a little while’? We don’t understand what he is saying.”

Jesus had told them NUMEROUS times about His passion yet they did not understand this until the Spirit was in them. Once again proving 1 Corinthians 2 the natural man cannot understand the things of the Spirit.

Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked, “You of little faith, why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread? 9 Do you still not understand? Don’t you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 10 Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 11 How is it you don’t understand that I was not talking to you about bread?

And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;

I can provide NUMEROUS other scriptures showing the disciples did not understand Jesus teachings until after Pentecost.

hope this helps!!!
Where is the actual text of 1 Corinthians 2??

1 Corinthians 2

That's you, not Scripture, and comes from the teachings of men.

hope this helps!!!
Lol...wow. Yes, it helped because you posted your beliefs, and they are incorrect, and are laden in error.

The above passages in no way support your case. It's funny that you think they do, but they do not. Not understanding in 1 Cor. 2:14 means to not be, and, (that they) cannot be intimately acquainted with the things of the Spirit.

But there is more to this concerning the natural man, whom our OP author makes tragic mistakes concerning in his attempt to prove the disciples were the same type of persons addressed in our text of Scripture at hand: The carnal and natural man is in a lost state, and the things of God are ALSO foolishness to them.

This was not the state nor case of the disciples.

This is enough evidence of his error and exposes his elementary mistake.

Natural person refers to a person left in their sins. God's ways are foolish to such. They are not intimate in their knowledge of God, or the things God, and cannot be. The disciples, they could be, and are. That's another missed point by the OP author.

Secondly, their case of "not understanding" in the Gospel accounts come from a differing meaning that it does in 1 Cor. 2:14. The anti-Calvinist here is confusing terms, missing contexts, and arriving yet again in error on his quest against sound doctrine.

The OP is non sequitur and is a failure by not implementing 2 Timothy 2:15.

1 Corinthians 2

hope this helps!!!
Excellent OP. True regeneration occurred at Pentecost and not at some mystical enlightenment point according to Calvinist myths, that smacks of Eastern Mysticism.

That's you, not Scripture, and comes from the teachings of men.

Lol...wow. Yes, it helped because you posted your beliefs, and they are incorrect, and are laden in error.

The above passages in no way support your case. It's funny that you think they do, but they do not. Not understanding in 1 Cor. 2:14 means to not be, and, (that they) cannot be intimately acquainted with the things of the Spirit.

But there is more to this concerning the natural man, whom our OP author makes tragic mistakes concerning in his attempt to prove the disciples were the same type of persons addressed in our text of Scripture at hand: The carnal and natural man is in a lost state, and the things of God are ALSO foolishness to them.

This was not the state nor case of the disciples.

This is enough evidence of his error and exposes his elementary mistake.

Natural person refers to a person left in their sins. God's ways are foolish to such. They are not intimate in their knowledge of God, or the things God, and cannot be. The disciples, they could be, and are. That's another missed point by the OP author.

Secondly, their case of "not understanding" in the Gospel accounts come from a differing meaning that it does in 1 Cor. 2:14. The anti-Calvinist here is confusing terms, missing contexts, and arriving yet again in error on his quest against sound doctrine.

The OP is non sequitur and is a failure by not implementing 2 Timothy 2:15.
The OP and the scriptures support my view is correct. Jesus and the Disciples said they did not understand spiritual things and they were carnal not spiritual according to 1 cor 2.

hope this helps !!!

Excellent OP. True regeneration occurred at Pentecost and not at some mystical enlightenment point according to Calvinist myths, that smacks of Eastern Mysticism.
Exactly Jesus even told them that in John 14-16.

John 15:26
“When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me. 27 And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.

John 16:7
But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

John 16:13-14
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you.

The OP and the scriptures support my view is correct. Jesus and the Disciples said they did not understand spiritual things and they were carnal not spiritual according to 1 cor 2.

hope this helps !!!
I'm not going to sit here and quarrel with you all day like you'd like me to do. I've proven my case and explained it succinctly enough. :)

The fact remains you've misused and misapplied Scripture. I addressed you as to how and why, by using the Scriptures, and definitions showing your mistakes and the things you missed. Your take doesn't line up with Scripture. You failed the 2 Timothy 2:15 test.

Your OP then failed to prove your point, and you only offer a drive-by response, and zero Scriptural examinations, no true rebuttal, and it is all filled with question-begging and frankly, the response is silly and really says nothing.

I don't really care that in your "free will" you won't be corrected by Scripture because that is on you, though I have prayed for you in the past. But for anyone else who is honest and wants to see how you made serious errors? It is for them and God's glory.

I'm not going to sit here and quarrel with you all day like you'd like me to do. I've proven my case and explained it succinctly enough. :)

The fact remains you've misused and misapplied Scripture. I addressed you as to how and why, by using the Scriptures, and definitions showing your mistakes and the things you missed. Your take doesn't line up with Scripture. You failed the 2 Timothy 2:15 test.

Your OP then failed to prove your point, and you only offer a drive-by response, and zero Scriptural examinations, no true rebuttal, and it is all filled with question-begging and frankly, the response is silly and really says nothing.

I don't really care that in your "free will" you won't be corrected by Scripture because that is on you, though I have prayed for you in the past. But for anyone else who is honest and wants to see how you made serious errors? It is for them and God's glory.
You must respond this way as your paradigm demands it since its all predetermined for you. You must reject everything I say, you cannot and will not do otherwise until God makes you believe something else like I'm presenting. Until then you will reject it as per the WCF and the doctrines of calvinism say you will. All I'm doing here is confirming your own beliefs/systematic in this reply.

hope this helps !!!

He avoids 1 Corinthians 2 like the plague. The very text in question

In that case we won't need to go to the OT anymore to show how Pharaoh hardened his own heart.

So lets do it. 1 Corintihans 2. THE VERY TEXT IN QUESTION
Scripture interprets scripture remember ?

Jesus said they did not understand, the disciples confessed they did not understand Jesus teaching.

Now read the passage below and connect the dots ....................

1 Corinthians 2

The disciples did not have the spirit in them until PENTECOST- thats when they UNDERSTOOD.

Did the disciples have the SEAL of the Holy Spirit? NO not until PENTECOST.

Ephesians 1

When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

If you have not the Spirit you are none of His.

Romans 8:9
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man has not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

1 Corinthians 2

And here is a newsflash the disciples did not understand so many things prior to Pentecost as Jesus promised He would bring to remembrance the things He had taught them.

John 15:26
“When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me. 27 And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.

John 16:7
But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

John 16:13-14
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you.

hope this helps!!!

hope this helps !!!

Scripture interprets scripture remember ?

Jesus said they did not understand, the disciples confessed they did not understand Jesus teaching.

Now read the passage below and connect the dots ....................

1 Corinthians 2

The disciples did not have the spirit in them until PENTECOST- thats when they UNDERSTOOD.

hope this helps !!!
So they were unbelievers until Pentecost? They still considered the things of God foolishness then. Yikes

Notice it says through the Spirt. Not the same as in them

Back