1 John 3:9 - Is it cannot "practice" sin, or cannot "commit" sin?

You are too busy listening to yourself now.

So in other words you have never experienced hearing God's literal voice in answer to your question, so you think I'm just listening to myself. I feel sorry for you Cessationists. Which is odd because you told me recently to give more testimonies on hearing God's voice to receiving 100% of my prayers being answered. Make up your mind. Do you believe God is alive, or is He on vacation?

What is the difference in understanding and truth between us not practicinging sin, or not committing sin? Note the context of this chapter and what type of sin John is talking about 1 John 3:4 sins of lawlessness. What does changing to word to practice allow us to do. Of course, cannot commit sin has no other meaning.
When one is spiritually complete, he cannot commit sin because he has overcome the world which is the carnal mind. When one is spiritually complete then he is fully born again and an adopted son of God.

Gpd bless you. :)

When one is spiritually complete, he cannot commit sin because he has overcome the world which is the carnal mind. When one is spiritually complete then he is fully born again and an adopted son of God.

Gpd bless you. :)
When are we born again and what does that mean? Just curious what you believe. Talk later, going out to vote.

When are we born again and what does that mean? Just curious what you believe. Talk later, going out to vote.
It means born of the Spirit or new spiritual birth and it is progressive until we are completely transformed into the express image of Christ. Gal 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

God bless you. :)

So in other words you have never experienced hearing God's literal voice

That would only be your own fantasy.

in answer to your question, so you think I'm just listening to myself. I feel sorry for you Cessationists.

I'm not a Cessationist. That would be a fantasy you imagined up for yourself.

Which is odd because you told me recently to give more testimonies on hearing God's voice

That might be your first clue.

to receiving 100% of my prayers being answered.

That might be your second.

Make up your mind. Do you believe God is alive, or is He on vacation?

It isn't me who needs to make up their mind.

Instead of listening you would rather fabricate your own fantasies about me.

That would only be your own fantasy.

I'm not a Cessationist. That would be a fantasy you imagined up for yourself.

That might be your first clue.

That might be your second.

It isn't me who needs to make up their mind.

Instead of listening you would rather fabricate your own fantasies about me.

So if that wasn't you forgive me for giving you credit when none was due.

1 John 3:9 (AMP) - No one who is born of God [deliberately, knowingly, and habitually] practices sin, because God’s seed [His principle of life, the essence of His righteous character] remains [permanently] in him [who is born again—who is reborn from above—spiritually transformed, renewed, and set apart for His purpose]; and he [who is born again] cannot habitually [live a life characterized by] sin, because he is born of God and longs to please Him.

Robertson's Word Pictures in the New Testament

Doeth no sin
(αμαρτιαν ου ποιε). Linear present active indicative as in verse 1 John 3:4 (NAS) like αμαρτανε in verse 1 John 3:8 (NAS) The child of God does not have the habit of sin.

His seed (σπερμα αυτου). God's seed, "the divine principle of life" (Vincent). Cf. 1 John 3:1 (NAS)

And he cannot sin (κα ου δυνατα αμαρτανειν). This is a wrong translation, for this English naturally means "and he cannot commit sin" as if it were κα ου δυνατα αμαρτειν or αμαρτησα (second aorist or first aorist active infinitive). The present active infinitive αμαρτανειν can only mean "and he cannot go on sinning," as is true of αμαρτανε in verse 1 John 3:8 (NAS) and αμαρτανων in verse 1 John 3:6 (NAS) For the aorist subjunctive to commit a sin see αμαρτητε and αμαρτη in 1 John 2:1. (NAS) A great deal of false theology has grown out of a misunderstanding of the tense of αμαρτανειν here. Paul has precisely John's idea in Romans 6:1 (NAS) επιμενωμεν τη αμαρτια (shall we continue in sin, present active linear subjunctive) in contrast with αμαρτησωμεν in Romans 6:15 (NAS) (shall we commit a sin, first aorist active subjunctive).

1 John 3 - Robertson's Word Pictures in the New Testament - Bible Commentaries - StudyLight.org
I'm not sure if the translation "he cannot sin" is wrong, but it is ambiguous, admitting of a wrong interpretation / emphasis in the context.

The emphasis of "ου (not) δυνατα (he has the power/he is able) αμαρτανειν (to sin)" in 1 John 3:9 is on ου δυναταn (he does not have the power).

Before Christ the sinner is under the power of the devil. Christ appeared to destroy the devil's works. One who is truly born again lacks the power to sin, to the extent that he is longer deceived. To the extent that we remain deceived by the devil, we continue to sin.

Yet also implied is the possibility of apostasy - that we can sin whilst undeceived: Heb 10:26. Here we sin by reason of volition without compulsion.

It means born of the Spirit or new spiritual birth and it is progressive until we are completely transformed into the express image of Christ. Gal 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

That was a beautiful way of saying it and so true.

Curious what more you believe: What is the first thing that we experience when we repent unto Christ and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit? (And I don't mean speaking in tongues ;))

That was a beautiful way of saying it and so true.

Curious what more you believe: What is the first thing that we experience when we repent unto Christ and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit? (And I don't mean speaking in tongues ;))
Perhaps the way one experiences God is different for every believer. For me I could sense God's spiritual presence from time to time in myself and in other believers. I began to see things differently and the scriptures opened up to me in a profound way. Later, I received the infilling of God's Spirit, and I was so jubilant that it brought tears to my eyes. I wanted to tell everyone of my experience.

Please tell me about your experience.

Perhaps the way one experiences God is different for every believer. For me I could sense God's spiritual presence from time to time in myself and in other believers. I began to see things differently and the scriptures opened up to me in a profound way. Later, I received the infilling of God's Spirit, and I was so jubilant that it brought tears to my eyes. I wanted to tell everyone of my experience.

Please tell me about your experience.

I can send you my testimony (the first chapter of my new book) but in a nutshell, I was a major sinner with a married man, and couldn't give him up, so told God after trying for months and always going back, that He was stronger than I was so for Him to make my lover break up with me and then give him the strength to stay away from me. I didn't think anything would happen but I basically stopped trying on my own and besides, in 30 years I had never received an answer to prayer, and even had to choose to believe, though half-heartedly. One week later my lover broke up with me telling me that he suddenly realized he couldn't be there when I needed him, and that gave him the strength to stay away, no matter how much I wanted him back. Two weeks later after realizing that God was actually real because of the answered prayer, other miraculous hindrances blocked my own sinful will, namely another man to fill the void, and then I asked Him a question in a frustrated prayer, and HE ANSWERED VERBALLY one word, "NO"! I heard Him, though not audibly, but it was loud and clear and not what I would want. I was shocked and had absolutely no more doubt. I also knew supernaturally that He was going to continue and He seared into my heart 8 more sentences I cannot ever forget. He then showed me a vision, and I repented like David did after his sin with Bathsheba, and repeated Psalms 51:10 which was a memory verse as a child. Then I felt something like warm oil flow over me, and something heavy lift out of me. I know now it was my sin nature from Satan and I no longer had any desire to willfully sin what a Catholic would call a mortal sin (sin unto death - breaking God's law). And the ability to hear His voice has never stopped either. So talk about a PERSONAL relationship with God, WOW! For the last 45 years since this experience 100% of my prayers have been answered. And I don't even date. I laughingly call myself in the Eunuch's Club. LOL I think that is what Paul meant when he said he wished there were more like him, 1 Corinthians 7:8-9. I'm sure he could relate to how I feel, or the other way around. And like Paul, my mind is seadfast on God always listening for His voice, the number one most commonly in operation spiritual gift I have. But of all the gifts from Joel 2, Mark 16:16-18; and 1 Corinthians 12: 4-10 I have experienced them all except 2, that require a special Office to obtain. And in 2000 I was driving in the desert in Arizona and God spoke that He was giving me the Office of Teacher from Ephesians 4. It was after that that my understanding of the only interpretation of verses inspired by God was given to me over time. But any time I ask a question, I get the answer immediately. Now THAT'S a very personal relationship conversation. He is always on my mind from the moment I get out of bed and even in my dreams.

Okay, maybe a little longer than a "nutshell." LOL

Also, this is why I go with cannot "commit" rather than "practice" as if the desire might be a struggle and require strengthening will power., but are still capable of committing the sin.

I can send you my testimony (the first chapter of my new book) but in a nutshell, I was a major sinner with a married man, and couldn't give him up, so told God after trying for months and always going back, that He was stronger than I was so for Him to make my lover break up with me and then give him the strength to stay away from me. I didn't think anything would happen but I basically stopped trying on my own and besides, in 30 years I had never received an answer to prayer, and even had to choose to believe, though half-heartedly. One week later my lover broke up with me telling me that he suddenly realized he couldn't be there when I needed him, and that gave him the strength to stay away, no matter how much I wanted him back. Two weeks later after realizing that God was actually real because of the answered prayer, other miraculous hindrances blocked my own sinful will, namely another man to fill the void, and then I asked Him a question in a frustrated prayer, and HE ANSWERED VERBALLY one word, "NO"! I heard Him, though not audibly, but it was loud and clear and not what I would want. I was shocked and had absolutely no more doubt. I also knew supernaturally that He was going to continue and He seared into my heart 8 more sentences I cannot ever forget. He then showed me a vision, and I repented like David did after his sin with Bathsheba, and repeated Psalms 51:10 which was a memory verse as a child. Then I felt something like warm oil flow over me, and something heavy lift out of me. I know now it was my sin nature from Satan and I no longer had any desire to willfully sin what a Catholic would call a mortal sin (sin unto death - breaking God's law). And the ability to hear His voice has never stopped either. So talk about a PERSONAL relationship with God, WOW! For the last 45 years since this experience 100% of my prayers have been answered. And I don't even date. I laughingly call myself in the Eunuch's Club. LOL I think that is what Paul meant when he said he wished there were more like him, 1 Corinthians 7:8-9. I'm sure he could relate to how I feel, or the other way around. And like Paul, my mind is seadfast on God always listening for His voice, the number one most commonly in operation spiritual gift I have. But of all the gifts from Joel 2, Mark 16:16-18; and 1 Corinthians 12: 4-10 I have experienced them all except 2, that require a special Office to obtain. And in 2000 I was driving in the desert in Arizona and God spoke that He was giving me the Office of Teacher from Ephesians 4. It was after that that my understanding of the only interpretation of verses inspired by God was given to me over time. But any time I ask a question, I get the answer immediately. Now THAT'S a very personal relationship conversation. He is always on my mind from the moment I get out of bed and even in my dreams.

Okay, maybe a little longer than a "nutshell." LOL

Also, this is why I go with cannot "commit" rather than "practice" as if the desire might be a struggle and require strengthening will power., but are still capable of committing the sin.
The Lord answered your prayer and has not given you the desire to date because God has reserved you for me. Come on over. Oh, no I am sorry, sorry, sorry! Oh, It is my carnal mind going at full tilt. The Lord is your only love so stick with him! He is all you need and in fact our Lord is all we need!

As for me not sinning and having rule over the carnal mind I need lots of prayers and spiritual refining. Ouch, ouch, ouch!

Thanks for sharing your heart and walk with Christ and God give you spiritual victory.

Our God is awesome!!!!!!!!

The Lord answered your prayer and has not given you the desire to date because God has reserved you for me. Come on over. Oh, no I am sorry, sorry, sorry! Oh, It is my carnal mind going at full tilt. The Lord is your only love so stick with him! He is all you need and in fact our Lord is all we need!

As for me not sinning and having rule over the carnal mind I need lots of prayers and spiritual refining. Ouch, ouch, ouch!

Thanks for sharing your heart and walk with Christ and God give you spiritual victory.

Our God is awesome!!!!!!!!
Cute, but no bite. LOL

Not having read all posts. so, Addressing the OP, the answer comes in the very next verse. 1 John 3:10 "In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother."

this is why we have an advocate1 John 2:1 "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:"

so no, we should not be "practicing" sin, because we're to be "PERFECT" ...... not meaning without sin, but less sin day by day for the term "PERFECT" means to GROW UP. as the apostle states, 1 Corinthians 13:11 "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

so as NEW BORN BABES IN CHRIST, we will make mistakes, but when we grow up. we make less of them.

for ..... 1 John 1:8 "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."1 John 1:10 "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

:ninja:

1John 3:9 . . No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed
abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

That verse only applies to God's next of kin-- His direct descendants --and
according to John 1:14, John 1:18, John 3:16, John 3:18, and 1John 4:9,
thus far He has only one that we know of.
_

1John 3:9 . . No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed
abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

That verse only applies to God's next of kin-- His direct descendants --and
according to John 1:14, John 1:18, John 3:16, John 3:18, and 1John 4:9,
thus far He has only one that we know of.
_
Completely meaningless as well as being an addition to scripture. All true believers are born of the Spirit of God.

All true believers are born of the Spirit of God.

The Spirit birth spoken of by John 3:3-8 isn't reproduction. If it were, then born
again Christians would be divine because the only kind of life that God can
reproduce is His own; just as the only kind life that humans can reproduce is
their own.

Fact of the matter is: John 3:3-8 is speaking of regeneration; whereby sinners
undergo an act of God making them redesigned creatures. In other words: they
aren't God's progeny, instead, they are His handiwork rather than His offspring.

2Cor 5:17 . . If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation

Eph 2:10 . .We are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus

Eph 4:24 . . Put on the new self, created to be like God

Col 3:9-10 . . You have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge
in the image of its creator.

After undergoing regeneration, the newbies are then inducted into God's home by
the process of adoption.

Gal 4:4-5 . . God sent forth His son, born of a woman, born under the Law, in
order that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive
the adoption as sons.

Gal 4:6-7 . . And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His son
into your hearts, crying: Abba! Father! Wherefore you are no more a servant, but a
son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.

Now the thing is; whereas born again Christians are brought into God's home by
adoption; Jesus descends from God as His progeny, i.e. Jesus is God's offspring. In
point of fact, according to John 1:14, John 1:18, John 3:16, John 3:18, and 1John
4:9, thus far Jesus is God's only offspring.
_

The Spirit birth spoken of by John 3:3-8 isn't reproduction. If it were, then born
again Christians would be divine because the only kind of life that God can
reproduce is His own; just as the only kind life that humans can reproduce is
their own.

Fact of the matter is: John 3:3-8 is speaking of regeneration; whereby sinners
undergo an act of God making them redesigned creatures. In other words: they
aren't God's progeny, instead, they are His handiwork rather than His offspring.

Col 3:9-10 . . You have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge

After undergoing regeneration, the newbies are then inducted into God's home by
the process of adoption.

Gal 4:4-5 . . God sent forth His son, born of a woman, born under the Law, in
order that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive
the adoption as sons.

Gal 4:6-7 . . And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His son
into your hearts, crying: Abba! Father! Wherefore you are no more a servant, but a
son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.

Now the thing is; whereas born again Christians are brought into God's home by
adoption; Jesus descends from God as His progeny, i.e. Jesus is God's offspring. In
point of fact, according to John 1:14, John 1:18, John 3:16, John 3:18, and 1John
4:9, thus far Jesus is God's only offspring.
_
1 Cor 3:16,17 makes it clear that by the seal of the Spirit, the believer becomes part of God's temple: "Do you not know that you yourselves are God’s temple, and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? 17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him; for God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple. "

Whether by adoption or as a natural born son (Christ), all believers share in the same nature (2 Peter 1:4) and so 1 John 3:9 applies to all alike.

all believers share in the same nature (2 Peter 1:4) and so 1 John 3:9 applies to all
alike.

Partaking of the divine nature doesn't make born again Christians divine. If it did,
they would never sin because God never sins (1John 3:9). But they do sin (1John
1:8-10) and that's the proof that born again Christians are not God's offspring.
Instead, they are His handiwork, i.e. creations.

According to John 1:14, John 1:18, John 3:16, John 3:18, and 1John 4:9, thus far
Jesus is God's only offspring; and the proof of that is: he's never sinned. (John 8:29,
2Cor 5:21, Heb 4:15, and 1Pet 2:22).
_

Partaking of the divine nature doesn't make born again Christians divine. If it did,
they would never sin because God never sins (1John 3:9). But they do sin (1John

1:8-10) and that's the proof that born again Christians are not God's offspring.
Instead, they are His handiwork, i.e. creations.

According to John 1:14, John 1:18, John 3:16, John 3:18, and 1John 4:9, thus far
Jesus is God's only offspring.
_
You're using invalid criteria. The teaching of obedience is a separate issue from one's status as God's offspring. The difference between Christ and us is begotten versus adopted, and that has implications, as you say, but they do not detract from a common status as God's offspring and being born of God. BTW divine can mean "of God" which is what believers are, even if they are not "from God." Christ is "of and from God" whereas believers as just "of God."

Act 17:29 “Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill."

Rom 9:8 "In other words, it is not the children by physical descent who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring."

Rev 12:17 "Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to wage war against the rest of her offspring—those who keep God's commands and hold fast their testimony about Jesus."

Folks who've undergone the adoption spoken of by Rom 8:16 become God's
legal posterity (Rom 8:17, 1John 3:1-2) but only Jesus is God's biological
posterity, so to speak. (John 1:14, John 1:18, John 3:16, John 3:18, and 1John 4:9)

*You know, it's astounding that someone can go from a hell-doomed sinner
to being taken into God's home, listed in His genealogy, and given an inheritance.
Were I to tell somebody that God and I are kinfolk, they might suspect my mind
is gone, and really: who could blame them?
_

Last edited:
Back