1 Timothy 2:4 - the Calvinist interpretation is hopelessly incoherent

Obviously all in authority does not mean all the elect in authority
Ultimately it does. We do not however know who the elect are, so we pray for all men without distinction. Only those who were chosn in Him will be saved, Ephesians 1:4.
Nor can anyone imagine all in authority are elect
Silliness, non sequitur, straw man nonsense. ^^^^
so the op is correct the Calvinist interpretation is hopelessly incoherent
That is your conclusion based upon what? Based upon straw, it's a baseless conclusion. That is what you brought to the table, absolute irrational nothingness.

Ultimately it does. We do not however know who the elect are, so we pray for all men without distinction. Only those who were chosn in Him will be saved, Ephesians 1:4.

Nope as was stated
fltom said:
Obviously all in authority does not mean all the elect in authority

you may not know but you cannot argue all who are in authority are elect

fltom said:
Nor can anyone imagine all in authority are elect

preacher4truth
Silliness, non sequitur, straw man nonsense. ^^^^

Not at all

rather it is you comment which is nonsense

you do not believe all who are in a position of authority are elect for salvation

fltom said:
so the op is correct the Calvinist interpretation is hopelessly incoherent
That is your conclusion based upon what? Based upon straw, it's a baseless conclusion. That is what you brought to the table, absolute irrational nothingness.

based on the verse which your denial are not a convincing counter reply

be honnest with your self

do you really believe all in authority are elect?

Why do you guys perpetuate the worthless straw-man that we allegedly teach "all men" means "only the elect"?

Please provide a LINKED QUOTE of any Calvinist making such an assertion.
did you actually read?

no one stated you believe that

it was stated you cannot believe that

The phrase all in aurthority refers to all without exception who are in authority

did you actually read?

no one stated you believe that

it was stated you cannot believe that

The phrase all in aurthority refers to all without exception who are in authority

Where do you see "without exception" in the text?!

how do you make all in authority some in authority

You're trying to justify ADDING words to Scripture.
You're rationalizing, rather than simply letting Scripture speak.

Once again, where do you see the phrase, "without exception" in the passage?
And if you can't show it, just man up and admit it.

You're trying to justify ADDING words to Scripture.
You're rationalizing, rather than simply letting Scripture speak.

Once again, where do you see the phrase, "without exception" in the passage?
And if you can't show it, just man up and admit it.
You did not answer

You did not answer

Sorry, but you're SHIFTING the burden of proof.

YOU claimed that "all men in authority" ACTUALLY means, "all men in authority without exception".

I asked you to show me where it says, "without exception" in the passage,
and YOU NEVER ANSWERED the question.

Your responded with a rationalization, and then falsely put the words, "some in authority" in my mouth, WHICH I NEVER SAID.

So once again, show us in the PASSAGE where you see the phrase, "without exception".

Sorry, but you're SHIFTING the burden of proof.

YOU claimed that "all men in authority" ACTUALLY means, "all men in authority without exception".

I asked you to show me where it says, "without exception" in the passage,
and YOU NEVER ANSWERED the question.

Your responded with a rationalization, and then falsely put the words, "some in authority" in my mouth, WHICH I NEVER SAID.

So once again, show us in the PASSAGE where you see the phrase, "without exception".
All does not mean some no matter how badly your theology requires it

Basic meaning of All

used to refer to the whole quantity or extent of a particular group or thing:
Online dictionary

all in authority would be the whole extent of those in authority

that is all without exception

All does not mean some no matter how badly your theology requires it

I never said it did.
Now stop RUNNING AWAY from the question, and show us where you see the phrase, "without exception" in the passage.

The bottom line is that you ASSUME your theology out of whole cloth, while demanding we "prove" our theology to you, especially when we're not interested in converting you.
Double standards much?

This is why it's a waste of time interacting with you.
You want to shove your false theology down our throats, but refuse to prove it.

I never said it did.
Now stop RUNNING AWAY from the question, and show us where you see the phrase, "without exception" in the passage.

The bottom line is that you ASSUME your theology out of whole cloth, while demanding we "prove" our theology to you, especially when we're not interested in converting you.
Double standards much?

This is why it's a waste of time interacting with you.
You want to shove your false theology down our throats, but refuse to prove it.
I gave you a basic definition

Basic meaning of All

Online dictionary

why did you run from it?

what does the whole quantity mean?

and if you did not say it refers to some in authority

all that is left is all in authority

Basic meaning of All

Online dictionary

why did you run from it?

what does the whole quantity mean?

So you can't answer my question.
My point is made.
You're refuted.
Now continug running away.

So you can't answer my question.
My point is made.
You're refuted.
Now continug running away.
Laughable

You cant even understand a basic definition

or what the whole extext of a thing means

or it appear the meaning of whole

Basic meaning of All

Online dictionary

why did you run from it?

what does the whole quantity or extent mean?

do you not even understand the word whole

your thinking is completely muddled

He disputes you

do you believe civic was never a Calvinist as well?
All former Calvinists go through a 12 step program . ? Those still in it are in the denial stage . Mormons who come out of their false teachings also go through a similar process . The same with Muslims . EDITED BY MOD--DIVISIVE

Last edited by a moderator:
All former Calvinists go through a 12 step program . ? Those still in it are in the denial stage . Mormons who come out of their false teachings also go through a similar process . The same with Muslims . Once a person has been brainwashed it’s a long road to recovery .
12 step program eh

He deludes you.

No, he's an impostor who had sockpuppet accounts playing both camps at the same time, and he's playing you and others now. He's apostatized from Faith alone as well, so what do you think?
We have a double negative here

I asked if you believe he was never a Calvinist and you said no

so you believe he was a calvinist?

God desires "all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." (1 Tim. 2:4)

The Calvinist replies, the "all men" in this verse means "the elect only."
This is true, only those chosen (elected) in Christ before the foundation of the world will be saved, and none else. Ephesians 1:4; Romans 8:26ff &c.

But we should look closer at the text because it is not limited to praying for their salvation only. It includes supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgiving on behalf of kings and all in high positions.

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
The reason? The context mentions specifically only certain types of men (namely kings and those who are in authority - vv. 1-2),
No, it mentions all people as well.
so therefore this "all men" must be limited in scope.
Well, your "therefore" is askew, because you skipped the "all people" part of the text, thus all that follows is amiss because yur foundational argument is amiss.

So we have to ask why Paul mentions these types of peoples, kings, those who are in authority. But, again, you're missing the be made for "all people" that precedes kings, and those in authority. Apparently, Paul wants to remind Timothy to not just pray for the common person, but for the uncommon man as well. We have no idea who God has elected in His Son, so we pray for all, indiscriminately.
The problem? This use of the context, if consistently followed, would do no favors for the Calvinist.
You're not even making a case.
For it is obviously not true that ALL kings are saved.
We don't argue they are in the way we exegete the text. This is non sequitur.
"But" replies the Calvinist, "the 'all men' in v. 4 doesn't refer to all kings and all in authority, but to the elect among those kings and those in authority."
Exactly correct.
Say what? How is this not hopelessly incoherent?
It isn't, your argument is incoherent though.
How can vv. 1-2 limit the scope of the "all men" to just kings and those in authority
It doesn't, it included all people as well.
without requiring us to think that God wants all kings and those in authority (without exception) to be saved?
You can think what you want to, but your thinking is amiss. Nothing in the text "requires" us to do what you're suggesting. Your imposing your idea onto the text.

My brother, a "Thus" would follow if you had handled the text correctly, but you haven't.
it is not enough for the Calvinist to demonstrate that the "all men" is limited in scope to "kings and those in authority" (which is a tall order by itself).
"All people." You missed it.
They also must somehow limit it further to the elect only out of all kings and those in authority.
Only those chosen in Christ will be saved.
On what textual basis can they do this?
2 Timothy 2:15.

Sorry my friend, but your argument has failed and frankly it really is incoherent in spots. You didn't handle the text at hand well at all.

Back